ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Martelli let go by St Joe - With Updates

I always liked Phil as well, but he was there too long just like Dunphy at Temple.

Time for a change at these schools. Gotta respect the loyalty though.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
That sucks. Always like Phil. But, his recruiting had dropped off the last few years. He always seemed to get one or two really talented players, but last couple of years - not so much.

Not shocking. Good guy, should have retired several years ago. Maybe St Joe will steal away Chambers...lol

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/phil-martelli-fired-st-josephs-university-hawks-20190319.html
Very tough to compete in Philly w/Nova's 2 recent NCAA championships and newly renovated facilities. Even Temple has much better facilities. St Joe's and LaSalle will continue to have a tough road. In their league, Dayton has 1st class Bball arena and new facilities.

Interesting hypothetical: what would Barbour do if St. Joe's made a run at Chambers?

Obviously she'd pay him a mint to stay. It's how she rolls (and with the continued buffets and onion dip, rolls, and rolls, and rolls, and...).

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Phil and Fran were recruiting D.Jack, got to spend some time talking with them,what great guys and they really appeared to like each other. Phil went out of his way to help my mom down the bleachers, at the time he had no idea who it was.

Weren't Martelli and Dunphy mentioned as being at least interested in the PSU job either when Ed D.and/or Chambers were hired? I don't recall if they got beyond the 'interested' stage and had a prelim discussion or interview or not. But their Phila connection was interesting to us fans back then.
Now both are gone and unlikely to coach again.

I'm not sure the St. Joe's job is as good as it once was when Phil had them rockin' most seasons. But if LaSalle can be a one hit wonder as they were a few seasons ago, maybe there's hope for The Hawks.

I wonder if Tim Miles has sent his resume to them yet?! ;) Country boy in the big city?!

Reactions: N&B4PSU and 4IUSox2
Weren't Martelli and Dunphy mentioned as being at least interested in the PSU job either when Ed D.and/or Chambers were hired? I don't recall if they got beyond the 'interested' stage and had a prelim discussion or interview or not. But their Phila connection was interesting to us fans back then.

I'm not sure the St. Joe's job is as good as it once was when Phil had them rockin' most seasons. But if LaSalle can be a one hit wonder as they were a few seasons ago, maybe there's hope for The Hawks.

I wonder if Tim Miles has sent his resume to them yet?! ;) Country boy in the big city?!
I met Martelli one time at the St Joe’s alumni golf outing and I can tell you that he had no interest in the PSU job. He seemed to be a fan of the football team and Joe.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Bob78
I thought (from you?) the boys at Morgan Stanley taught her that!!

No, the boys from Morgan Stanley did not teach her how to spend money on facilities that had nothing to do with seismic disaster prevention. She came up with that herself. They did teach her how to go minus $6mm (or $8mm depending on whose numbers one believes) for nothing. Cue: dumshit.

Reactions: stormingnorm

I think both are most likely to retire. Both are older and have made a good chunk of money in their lives. Maybe pull a Rollie Massimino at some point and coach a smaller school for the pure joy of coaching and basketball.

How “Philadelphia” did he seem to you?
He's about 100% Philly or close by.

From Media, played at Widener, coached at Bishop Kendrick HS in Norristown, then on to St. Joe's as an assistant and head coach. But it seems like the entire Big Five was/is made up of Philly area coaches, yes?

yeah, both were named as potential PSU coaches when Pat was hired. St Joes is a victim of of modern athletic depts. and arms race. Gone are the days when Phil M. could find a few diamonds in the rough in the Philly metro area as AAU ball has rendered everybody as a known. Combine that with St. Joes not having the $$$ to upgrade the facilities and the other mid major programs have jetted past them with respect to amenities they can offer schollie BBall players.

Reactions: Bob78
I believe Dunphy reached out Curley before Dechellis was hired. Curley never called him back. This comes from someone who worked at his golf club (Rolling Green)

Fran is retiring this year and Aaron Mckie is taking over.

Looks like I have to make some troll St. Joe's twitter accounts to convince them they need Chambers.

Dunphy's best years were at Penn. Phil just stopped winning. Very surprised to see St Joe pull the trigger on Phil.

Hopefully Aaron McKee can bring Temple back to the best of the Cheney years.

Pretty bad timing. Didn’t Martelli’s father just pass away a few weeks ago?

Reactions: Kmase21
St Joe's hired a new AD last year, she had no allegiance to Martelli and wanted her one guy in the job. I doubt Chambers would be interested, but you never know. If he were to lose both Watkins and Stevens, he may be interested. Get out of PSU before they fire you this year. Pretty much the same thing that DeChellis did when he went to Navy and what Steve Lappas did 20 yrs ago when he left Nova for UMass. Get out before they get you.

Speedy Morris of Lasalle is another Philly guy who comes to mind. After some decent years he tired of recruiting and I believe went to coach at a high school for awhile. Jay Wright is the only legendary Philly guy left in a town that produced some very good coaches.

Reactions: Kmase21 and LionJim

Dunphy for sure. He actually interviewed.

Martelli made a comment at that time to the effect that he wasn't interested didn't think PSU was committed to winning a national championship. It was never clear if he inquired about the job prior making this comment, although it's reasonable to assume that he did (as opposed to just randomly making the comment for no reason)

It’s a better fit for Pat, imo. Back to his roots, Catholic and all, Newtown Square is max 15 minutes away.
Agree. I think he’s have a much better experience there than here. This seems to be a dead-end job for the foreseeable future. As much as folks complain about chambers, he was a hot hire and seems to be keeping his end of the deal.

For those thinking Chambers may be a candidate for the job, how does the St. Joes AD explain to their fans that she hiring a coach who has a worse record than the “legend” she just fired. Phil won the A10 in 14 and 16. Lost to eventual champion U Conn in 14; won the opening round in 16 before losing to the one seed Oregon. Also went to the NIT twice during the time Chambers has been at PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT