ADVERTISEMENT

Petition the NCAA for an extra year

Signed and shared. My heart goes out to Aaron and his teammates John. Humanity is resourceful—I pray that something fair for all can be done once things settle down.

Reactions: diggerpup
I signed the petition. Over 55k so far.

I'm all for it, just not sure how they are going to pull it off. It's going to take some creative math.

They should at least allow those with a RS available to use it regardless if they competed or not.

Reactions: mjmirv
Signed and shared. My heart goes out to Aaron and his teammates John. Humanity is resourceful—I pray that something fair for all can be done once things settle down.
I'm with nerf, hoping and praying something fair can be done. It's surely going to be discussed by the NCAA at some point. When thinking it through, I can imagine it becomes a discussion, not just about seniors, but underclassmen who also are losing a year. Then there's the scholarship discussion for all 32 affected sports. Follow that with a discussion about how this will be paid for (Auriemma's suggestion that the NCAA "foot the bill"). Won't be easy, plus this coronavirus thing is only beginning, and we have no idea if other sports will be affected in the Fall.

Very sad times, feel for all the guys, seniors to freshman. Here’s to hoping the NCAA opens up their overly large pocket books, and issues another year for athletes that want one. PSU’s team next year will be something to behold.

Who is drinking $11 coffee?

Can you chip in $11 to get this petition on the agenda?
Within an hour, this petition could have thousands more supporters if everyone chipped in the price of a coffee.

I'm with nerf, hoping and praying something fair can be done. It's surely going to be discussed by the NCAA at some point. When thinking it through, I can imagine it becomes a discussion, not just about seniors, but underclassmen who also are losing a year. Then there's the scholarship discussion for all 32 affected sports. Follow that with a discussion about how this will be paid for (Auriemma's suggestion that the NCAA "foot the bill"). Won't be easy, plus this coronavirus thing is only beginning, and we have no idea if other sports will be affected in the Fall.
There is no solution that will appease everyone. Not all athletes receive scholarship money, or if they do, very little. How many families can afford another year? In state costs are high, out of state much more so. The only “fair” way would be to grant all rostered students an extra year, with all costs paid. This would have to be applicable to all affected sports. The costs would be astronomical. As much as I would like to see this happen, I seriously doubt it will. Speaking of costs, what would the ACTUAL cost per student be? Yes, in state tuition with room and board is $32k-$35k but what is the actual dead cost to the university? Why would it cost the university more to scholly an out of state student vs an in state student? No easy answers...

I don't really like the extra year idea. I'm not sure why but I just don't. They should be able to find ten hs gyms in a couple months for each weight class to get this over with in a day. Not really fair for the young guys. I guess they could always transfer if they don't like it tho. I dunno. It's just crazy lol

Reactions: The Stan
If nothing else, we should at least do some kind of all star series of matches this summer, with the intermat top 4 wrestlers at each weight class - make it a one day event, with 4 wrestlers, one match in the morning, one in the evening

By the way, one Iowa fan on Go Iowa Awesome made me laugh: "The universe simply will not allow the existence of a 4 time Iowa national champion."

Everything bad in life doesn't have an easy fix, and as many kids will get affected negatively as those getting another year (i.e. Starroci).

When kids stuck behind someone that was going to graduate have to wait another year, I think there will be second thoughts about this, especially if some of those jump into the transfer portal to get on with their careers.

What has happened really sucks for sure, but I do not think it is easily fixed. I am really bummed we had 5 guys who could have won a national championship, and in so doing might even have given us a chance at another team championship in so doing. The reality is we will never know.

Only the select few who took Oly RSs this year are the benefactors, but even there only from an NCAA POV. It will be interesting though if they bump the Olympics a full year. Which I think is a 90% possibility right now. Will those kids be able to take 2 Oly RSs back to back? I think so.

Reactions: TCD and Ski
There is no solution that will appease everyone. Not all athletes receive scholarship money, or if they do, very little. How many families can afford another year? In state costs are high, out of state much more so. The only “fair” way would be to grant all rostered students an extra year, with all costs paid. This would have to be applicable to all affected sports. The costs would be astronomical. As much as I would like to see this happen, I seriously doubt it will. Speaking of costs, what would the ACTUAL cost per student be? Yes, in state tuition with room and board is $32k-$35k but what is the actual dead cost to the university? Why would it cost the university more to scholly an out of state student vs an in state student? No easy answers...
I agree with your thoughts, and yes, there’s not an easy answer where “everyone wins”. My only comment on the astronomical costs associated are that another year all expenses paid should be pretty doable for a significant majority of colleges. The current costs of attending college are so high, and I think most of us....maybe even all of us....can agree that it’s at a level that simply makes no sense at a lot of schools. Any type of return on the investment is many years down the road. This, combined with endowments that are in the 100s of millions, if not over a billion, leads me to have the opinion that requiring schools to cover or subsidize a significant amount of costs for athletes impacted is more than feasible. Just my humble opinion, but whatever solution ends up being proposed, I’ll be extremely disappointed if the NCAA and universities don’t include measures that prevent any direct costs to the athlete if they elect to take another year. Kids are giving up a year of post college income as well, and there is plenty of money in the coffers to do the right thing for the athletes.

Reactions: PSU_Lion_Fan
Easy the extra year you don't have to take classes. It's just a living cost that the student athlete has to pick up himself.

Never going to happen, but they should expand the tournament next year. Let Mark Hall enter unattached, and have Starocci as the point scorer for PSU. Give AB his redshirt back. And yeah I know, this would skew the scoring of the tournament. As I said, never gonna happen.

I don't know. Freshman like AB and Assad seems less complicated because they don't really have someone waiting in the wings. Give them the year back. Sticking with Marky as an example though. Seems like if you did something for Mark, you'd also have to do something for Starocci. But if anything is done, it's going to be a case by case basis. Mark never wanted to redshirt in the first place. I tend to think he wants to get on with his life. Feel bad for all of them.

Last edited:
Also, if “pity the underclassman” were a good argument, then it would be so good that no medical redshirts should exist.

No underclassman is forced to be stuck behind an upperclassman. He can earn the spot over the upperclassman.

Was it over when Nick Nevills had the spot over Cassar at Pearl Harbor?
This is a special circumstance, but your Pearl Harbor point is well taken :p. The flip side of the argument is, hypothetically, if Mark beats out Starocci and Starocci walks, from a team standpoint is 1 year of Marky better than 4 years of Starocci? Somewhat rhetorical but my answer would be no.

This is a special circumstance, but your Pearl Harbor point is well taken :p. The flip side of the argument is, hypothetically, if Mark beats out Starocci and Starocci walks, from a team standpoint is 1 year of Marky better than 4 years of Starocci? Somewhat rhetorical but my answer would be no.

That was more the point I was trying to make. Most phenom blue chip RS freshman might have a little trouble beating a 5th or 6th year national champion. You could see a similar conflict with Beard and Shak, VJ and Lee, .... Noone here would be happy to see any of these kids walk.

Besides would you really want to give Iowa's Jrs 2 more years? HR is already insufferable. ;-)

I don't think a lot off kids/seniors would come back even if they could. Having said that they should do this based on individuals applying for it. In other words if you want a redshirt for this year you apply for it like a medical shirt and then they can give them out on a person to person basis. That eliminates the crisis of everyone getting one. They will also have to do something about scholarships. For example if five guys on your team apply for an extra year they get whatever scholarship money they were receiving for that year and it doesn't count towards the 9.9

So you’re saying:

Stop the Coronavirus shirt today, and worry about stopping the evil medical redshirt tomorrow? One battle at a time?

;)

i'm saying the entire concept of college sports is broken and the best thing we can do is try to be consistent. if we're going to treat the student-athletes as students, give them 5 years to compete 4 and that's that. if we're going to treat the student-athletes as athletes, let them transfer, pay them, and give them as many years as they want to compete 4.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Looks like the NCAA might do something right for a change....

ETAliB8XkAMdhG9

LOL IOWA!!!!!

Reactions: lionlover
It makes sense for spring sports but I just can't see it for winter sports that had 90% of their schedule complete. Maybe they can get it done in some warehouse when no ones looking in a couple months. If not then sry, bad luck, sucks for the seniors, but time to move on. Life isn't fair. To the underclassman good luck next year.

I still like the no crowd thing. No parents either. Just the wrestler and coach.

ADVERTISEMENT