ADVERTISEMENT

Peter and Ann Tombros commit $26 MM to PSU.

Name another school that wrongfully treated their legendary coach the way PSU treated Joe? What reason does a donor have to give bama such an ultimatum?
Which is why I didn’t say it’s right or wrong. It’s their money and they decide how to spend it. But there is no arguing that the difference creates have and have nots.

Which is why I didn’t say it’s right or wrong. It’s their money and they decide how to spend it. But there is no arguing that the difference creates have and have nots.

Just points to how stupid Penn State’s leaderers have been the last ten years and will continue to be for eternity.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
Just points to how stupid Penn State’s leaderers have been the last ten years and will continue to be for eternity.
It goes back longer than the treatment of Paterno in 2011. PSU’s culture is not “win at all costs” which is the mindset of most other schools perennially in the CFP. Remember, in the SEC it just means more.

Doesn't matter whether a donor puts restrictions on the money. John Smith gives $1mm for exclusive use of the Tiddlywinks Team. Athletic Director says Tiddlywinks doesn't need more than the $2mm budgeted for the previous year. Cuts the Department's allocation by $1mm (Tiddlywinks still has the same $2mm) and sends it wherever he or she wants.

Now, the Tiddlywinks coach is pissed off and has a right to be. So how do you think Coach Franklin feels when he has to fight City Hall for funding and the surpluses his program earns pay for other sports?

Reactions: step.eng69
Doesn't matter whether a donor puts restrictions on the money. John Smith gives $1mm for exclusive use of the Tiddlywinks Team. Athletic Director says Tiddlywinks doesn't need more than the $2mm budgeted for the previous year. Cuts the Department's allocation by $1mm (Tiddlywinks still has the same $2mm) and sends it wherever he or she wants.

Now, the Tiddlywinks coach is pissed off and has a right to be. So how do you think Coach Franklin feels when he has to fight City Hall for funding and the surpluses his program earns pay for other sports?
That really wasn’t my point, Art. My point was that when the major donors at Alabama, Clemson, aTM, etc. are asked to contribute to the football program, they do so without any qualifications. That mindset doesn’t exist with PSU donors.

That really wasn’t my point, Art. My point was that when the major donors at Alabama, Clemson, aTM, etc. are asked to contribute to the football program, they do so without any qualifications. That mindset doesn’t exist with PSU donors.
Thank God we AREN'T those schools. We Are Penn State and have always done things differently.

“don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”? Is that right? What the hell does that mean?

Sure wish I had that kind of money to donate to Dear Old State. If I did have say $50m to donate I would contact the university and say, "I will donate $50m to the university if and only if the Paterno statue is put back. Otherwise you don't get a penny."
I’m willing to bet the University would say “Thanks, but no thanks” if that condition was placed on it.
Don’t be so sure, if ole LemonEars had that amount of bread to spread those money whores would jump at the deal. Hell, donate $100,000,000 to Bama and they’ll take down the Bears statue under the guise that he chain smoked and spread lung cancer. Yeah, and I know lung cancer isn’t contagious but a hundred mill is a hundred mill.

It's vaguer than that.

Typically, when a head coaching position is endowed, the income thrown off is used toward the coach's compensation. And there is nothing "discretionary" about a basketball scholarship.

My guess is that the Tombroses established a fund to underwrite the basketball program, offsetting whatever expense it might incur. Description probably isn't as sexy as PSU would like.

It's all good. In the immortal words of Limp Rod, "money is fungible."
Universities prefer donors to put as few parameters around donations as they are willing

It probably allocates a certain amount of funding per year to be used at HC’s discretion for what he feels is urgent.

It is vague of course. I know hockey coaches have something similar. Say there is something they feel is important for in the hockey lounge or something like that which is not covered by building fund, they can use some of these funds.

I was actually shocked once to hear that if Guy wanted to put up a hockey sweater of every HS team in the state, he would have to find funding for it, out of such funds, unless he could find a donor to specifically fund it. Pegula Bldg fund was not an option.
As many scotches and lattes with sterilized tongs as necessary.

I don't really think that is true. I've always been under the impression that a lot of the boosters in those football mad places actually interfere quite a bit with how the programs are run; not the least of which is when coaches get fired because of pressure from donors.

Reactions: Ski
I don't really think that is true. I've always been under the impression that a lot of the boosters in those football mad places actually interfere quite a bit with how the programs are run; not the least of which is when coaches get fired because of pressure from donors.
I remember one time JoePa was doing commentary during the Blue/White game. He talked about his position in raising donations from the alumni. He said something to the effect that he would gladly accept their monetary donations but he didn't want their 2 cents. I thought that was funny.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT