ADVERTISEMENT

Pet peeve... draft busts

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
I've never understood why they persist in calling a player a "bust" in the draft if they were injured (acl, etc). I get it if the guy had substance abuse or off-field issues (or played for weber state, lol) and the flags were raised and blowing hard. But a guy was a great player in college and gets injured and doesn't make it as predicted... that's just bad luck.

When they label a guy a bust, the impression is he as never what he was made out to be.. and i don't think that's particularly fair (nor accurate).

Of course, life isn't fair, either... so I'll hafta get over it.

BTW, i do love how we post in something labeled "normal threads"... wife says this is close as i get... o_O.. hmmm... was she referring to thread view... or normal?:confused:

Last edited:
I always thought it was unfair to Ki-Jana for one. I'll note that when I've seen shows on discussing "draft busts" they do often mention his early injury.

I look at a draft bust as a guy who was overrated, healthy and did not perform. Ki-Jana was a very good player who got hurt -- certainly not a draft bust.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and 91Joe95
I look at a draft bust as a guy who was overrated, healthy and did not perform. Ki-Jana was a very good player who got hurt -- certainly not a draft bust.

I agree--but he is usually on the list.

I always thought it was unfair to Ki-Jana for one. I'll note that when I've seen shows on discussing "draft busts" they do often mention his early injury.

I think its unfair he had to go back to Ohio to play professional football.

I say, you can't be a draft bust unless you were an awesome college football player so even though we always see some ex-Penn State players on these "biggest NFL busts" lists, it doesn't take away from the fact that these players were really good college football players who helped PSU win a lot of football games.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I've never understood why they persist in calling a player a "bust" in the draft if they were injured (acl, etc). I get it if the guy had substance abuse or off-field issues (or played for weber state, lol) and the flags were raised and blowing hard. But a guy was a great player in college and gets injured and doesn't make it as predicted... that's just bad luck.

When they label a guy a bust, the impression is he as never what he was made out to be.. and i don't think that's particularly fair (nor accurate).

Of course, life isn't fair, either... so I'll hafta get over it.

BTW, i do love how we post in something labeled "normal threads"... wife says this is close as i get... o_O.. hmmm... was she referring to thread view... or normal?:confused:

My pet peeve...when a team gets BEAT, fans can't accept it. You always hear, "If so and so didn't fumble...if he makes that extra point...if he makes that tackle, we would've won."

When you think about it, that is EVERY single sporting event. Just man up and ADMIT you got BEAT. It's that simple. No. People choose the "glass half empty" and say, "We LOST."

Wasn't it the horrible conditions of the turf that caused is injury? I remember back the Cincy and Philly have the worst turf fields in the league that cause an alarming amount if injuries compared to other fields through out the NFL.

Wasn't it the horrible conditions of the turf that caused is injury? I remember back the Cincy and Philly have the worst turf fields in the league that cause an alarming amount if injuries compared to other fields through out the NFL.

I may not be remembering correctly but wasn't he injured in a game at Detriot? For some reason, that rings a bell. Now maybe their turf was no good either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT