ADVERTISEMENT

Perry to HWC - Arms race continues

Mark was huge in developing a true freshman Quentin Wright. Glad to see at least one poster can see that amongst most of the hate.

This is a huge move for the Iowa Wrestling style IMO. If you have followed some of the negative post I have against the coaching staff the last few years, other than recruiting mindset I have questioned what is being taught in the room. Whos teaching riding and turning? Who is teaching guys to be slick? Who is teaching being comfortable in uncomfortable situations?

TnT seemed to have gotten away from elite riding and the modern tilt game. Sure they can coach up a Metcalf Ramos, Marion, Gilman type to be a takedown machine on your feet but none of those guys and currently Sorenson really could turn or ride much. Its what held them back when it came down to it. Gilman should have been able to ride a Cruz. You have to be able to have a Clark type arsenal to win the Friday and Sat night matches. Zain has it. Majority of PSU does because they are comfortable in odd positions. Have Iowa guys been? Other than Clark and Brooks its completely lacking. Perry can teach that.
I've been an advocate for Borschal over M* because of this.

So Iowa gains this coach in the room now and its much needed. It doesn't do Iowa any good to bring in the elite recruits and still get out savvied by a Nickal who can throw a leg in and get a free takedown rolling out of bounds. Which IMO set the whole tone for the rest of the Dean match. Or a guy that can teach a Kem Dawg to stay out of that spladle.

Oh and you also gain a hidden recruiter for areas like Blair Academy, California, Illinois.

Maybe its just me but again a Metcalf wasnt going to teach a Sorenson type on how to improve rolling around with a Zain. But Perry can teach you to get a cheap tilt out of nowhere on a sat night in march versus a defending NCAA champion who was going for his 3rd title. You know stuff like Nickal and Cenzo did., That stuff is fun!

Its a win win no matter how much you hate iowa on this board. Iowa needed his style, coaching in the room. Perry knows Iowa, Cowboy and east coast/ PSU styles. And quite frankly guys like Kem, Marinelli need this addition. I didn't want Marinelli to be a only on his feet takedown guy who had no tilt game or couldn't ride another elite. Ive seen enough of that one dimensional crap.

Plus it will be a trickle down effect. im hoping Chris Perry can help shape a Warner in match management. Imart can help shape marinelli, Kem & Kaleb young things like this.

Honestly its amazing you can find anything negative because Iowa couldn't get any more boring to watch is what you guys always say right?
no, you summed it up pretty good. 2018 might be a different story as far as action packed but still rasping for 3rd imo

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
no, you summed it up pretty good. 2018 might be a different story as far as action packed but still rasping for 3rd imo

Every good multi title run has started with a step back rebuild/reload year. In recent history Cael has done it twice. Brands once. And Tom Ryan need it for his only title.

The name of the game is align the 25 point getting studs.

Every good multi title run has started with a step back rebuild/reload year. In recent history Cael has done it twice. Brands once. And Tom Ryan need it for his only title.

The name of the game is align the 25 point getting studs.
Sure but if you think a little fine tuning isn't required... That's what I don't understand about the Perry to HWC hire. Iowa folkstyle needs to get that Iowa style offensive machine back and that is all about coaching.

Mark was huge in developing a true freshman Quentin Wright. Glad to see at least one poster can see that amongst most of the hate.

This is a huge move for the Iowa Wrestling style IMO. If you have followed some of the negative post I have against the coaching staff the last few years, other than recruiting mindset I have questioned what is being taught in the room. Whos teaching riding and turning? Who is teaching guys to be slick? Who is teaching being comfortable in uncomfortable situations?

TnT seemed to have gotten away from elite riding and the modern tilt game. Sure they can coach up a Metcalf Ramos, Marion, Gilman type to be a takedown machine on your feet but none of those guys and currently Sorenson really could turn or ride much. Its what held them back when it came down to it. Gilman should have been able to ride a Cruz. You have to be able to have a Clark type arsenal to win the Friday and Sat night matches. Zain has it. Majority of PSU does because they are comfortable in odd positions. Have Iowa guys been? Other than Clark and Brooks its completely lacking. Perry can teach that.

So Iowa gains this coach in the room now and its much needed. It doesn't do Iowa any good to bring in the elite recruits and still get out savvied by a Nickal who can throw a leg in and get a free takedown rolling out of bounds. Which IMO set the whole tone for the rest of the Dean match. Or a guy that can teach a Kem Dawg to stay out of that spladle.

Oh and you also gain a hidden recruiter for areas like Blair Academy, California, Illinois.

Maybe its just me but again a Metcalf wasnt going to teach a Sorenson type on how to improve rolling around with a Zain. But Perry can teach you to get a cheap tilt out of nowhere on a sat night in march versus a defending NCAA champion who was going for his 3rd title. You know stuff like Nickal and Cenzo did., That stuff is fun!

Its a win win no matter how much you hate iowa on this board. Iowa needed his style, coaching in the room. Perry knows Iowa, Cowboy and east coast/ PSU styles. And quite frankly guys like Kem, Marinelli need this addition. I didn't want Marinelli to be a only on his feet takedown guy who had no tilt game or couldn't ride another elite. Ive seen enough of that one dimensional crap.

Plus it will be a trickle down effect. im hoping Chris Perry can help shape a Warner in match management. Imart can help shape marinelli, Kem & Kaleb young things like this.

Honestly its amazing you can find anything negative because Iowa couldn't get any more boring to watch is what you guys always say right?

I agree with all of this ... thats why he should be on the college team staff, not the HWC ... IMO

I agree with all of this ... thats why he should be on the college team staff, not the HWC ... IMO

I think we are all agreeing that he is better fitted for the college staff than the HWC, but like ihawk said earlier- its blurred lines. It is his chance to be back in the Iowa room. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

TnT seemed to have gotten away from elite riding and the modern tilt game. Sure they can coach up a Metcalf Ramos, Marion, Gilman type to be a takedown machine on your feet but none of those guys and currently Sorenson really could turn or ride much. Its what held them back when it came down

How do you rate IMAR's top game? After all, he has been coached by Perry. I think kids that are tough on top have been tough on top well before they get to college. Zain has been a hammer on top long before he got to PSU. Stieber and Taylor were known for their top game before they ever stepped foot on a mat in college. I don't think most people think it's a negative. I just think most people don't view it as a "game changing" hire. A game changing hire would be Terry Brands taking the Pitt job.

a lot of chatter about IMar to the HWC. Im willing to make a bet that he goes NYAC before he goes HWC out of college. takers???

The lines aren't blurred. The NCAA caps the number of coaches.

Therefore Perry cannot coach at varsity practice unless he is also on the varsity coaching staff, for example is volunteer assistant like Metcalf is at ISU.

Perry could feasibly coach folk technique during HWC practices. But then that wastes HWC practice time, which potentially hinders HWC freestyle development. Can't imagine the post-grad guys would be too happy about that use of their time.

In any case, I do like the move for all at Iowa. HWC CEO is a growth opportunity for Perry. TnT get freed from some admin work. The wrestlers get to learn from a coach with multiple other perspectives.

Reactions: nitlion6

Great post. I only wish your fellow Hawkeye fans were held to the same standard as far as recognizing a coach's role in a wrestler's development, even when said wrestler was deemed a stud coming in (like QW).

Therefore Perry cannot coach at varsity practice unless he is also on the varsity coaching staff, for example is volunteer assistant like Metcalf is at ISU.

Perry could feasibly coach folk technique during HWC practices. But then that wastes HWC practice time, which potentially hinders HWC freestyle development. Can't imagine the post-grad guys would be too happy about that use of their time.

In any case, I do like the move for all at Iowa. HWC CEO is a growth opportunity for Perry. TnT get freed from some admin work. The wrestlers get to learn from a coach with multiple other perspectives.

I will disagree and say the lines are blurred. Technically Perry can't coach at official varsity practices but he can be there and drill with wrestlers and he can coach them outside of official practices. Plus, how do you enforce the no coaching during practice? In fact, how do you even DEFINE coaching vs. drilling. Seems pretty blurry to me.

Reactions: jtothemfp

I would think that most athletes would be happy to help a younger wrestler even if it is folkstyle. As long as the freestyle guys are not spending significant amounts of time with folk, can't see it being an issue.

At the NLWC, I bet David Taylor does not have a problem helping out the current wrestlers with folkstyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
Imar is already getting Titan Mercury money... Do people even train out at the NYAC? I just assumed that NYAC paid the fees for those people.

It's much more plausible that Imar goes to the HWC (which is basically an RTC, right?), stays at Illinois's IRTC (Chicago RTC different?), OR, perhaps he goes back to California, as growth seems to be happening there.

Either way, I don't see why he'd end up at NYAC, or if people even actually train there... Does Titan Mercury even hold practices? I assume big, overhead clubs like NYAC/Titan Mercury just pay for athletes' fees and trips, etc. Most guys TRAIN at an RTC, but represent a club at tournaments, in my estimation.

"Lungo" sounds like a fit with the Tanners or Pokes.
When taking a lunger becomes so common in your program that an already-coined nickname needs its own nickname. "That's not a concussion, guy's just taking a lungo."

Reactions: diggerpup
Imar is already getting Titan Mercury money... Do people even train out at the NYAC? I just assumed that NYAC paid the fees for those people.

It's much more plausible that Imar goes to the HWC (which is basically an RTC, right?), stays at Illinois's IRTC (Chicago RTC different?), OR, perhaps he goes back to California, as growth seems to be happening there.

Either way, I don't see why he'd end up at NYAC, or if people even actually train there... Does Titan Mercury even hold practices? I assume big, overhead clubs like NYAC/Titan Mercury just pay for athletes' fees and trips, etc. Most guys TRAIN at an RTC, but represent a club at tournaments, in my estimation.
I think some guys occasionally train at NYAC, probably when it's a matter of convenience since NY is easy to get to from anywhere. But maybe that dries up now too that the NYC RTC under Kendall Cross and Valentin Kalika (Helen Maroulis and Aaron Pico) and Columbia U is getting going.

The NYAC building is old money--a beautiful, classic early-1900s NYC building facing Central Park South, and I imagine it's not really flexible in terms of modern convenience. I've never seen the workout facilities but the floor they hold the Bill Farrell barely has room for spectators.

I'll take that bet.
Imar goes to HWC, you donate $100 to HWC.
Imar goes to NYAC, I donate $100 to NLWC

Im talking who is footing the bill. So the singlet he wears to his first sr level competition post college.

If thats ur understanding we are on.

He doesnt do either nyac or hwc we both pay?

Reactions: Gebmo
Good stuff, though much of this is outside the freestyle coach's job.
My thoughts while reading that post as well. IMO, Perry is better positioned and skilled as the asst coach of Iowa, and Terry is better positioned and skilled as the head of the HWC. Is the hiring of Perry a good move? Yes. Was it a great move? No. The great move would be to switch Mark and Terry. It is likely that money played a role with regard to Terry, and maybe his brother wants him around. However, I've never been sold on two guys with similar styles and a similar weight and similar personalities being a good fit for the different guys they are recruiting and rolling around with. Just my pennies...

My thoughts while reading that post as well. IMO, Perry is better positioned and skilled as the asst coach of Iowa, and Terry is better positioned and skilled as the head of the HWC. Is the hiring of Perry a good move? Yes. Was it a great move? No. The great move would be to switch Mark and Terry. It is likely that money played a role with regard to Terry, and maybe his brother wants him around. However, I've never been sold on two guys with similar styles and a similar weight and similar personalities being a good fit for the different guys they are recruiting and rolling around with. Just my pennies...
Just curious as to how you know who exactly is rolling around with who?

Just curious as to how you know this is a great move. See how message boards work? Anyone with an opinion can make one.
I am aware of how message boards work. Did i say it was a great move? I was just wondering how you know who rolls around with who in Iowa City from your house in Pennsylvania. Insider information?

I am aware of how message boards work. Did i say it was a great move? I was just wondering how you know who rolls around with who in Iowa City from your house in Pennsylvania. Insider information?
Haven't lived in PA in 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT