ADVERTISEMENT

Perry to HWC - Arms race continues

Will be some interesting backtracking going on. According to some Iowa posters, Imar regressed since his freshman year and that's why Cenzo beat him in the finals. Now Perry is a game changer. Guy can recruit but not sure what he can do at head coach of HWC.

Reactions: lionlover
My take is Brands days are numbered! Perry wants to be a D1 HEAD coach--so why would he jump ship if a head coach job wasn't possible? I know that he has excepted a head coach job for the wrestling club....but I do think there is more to it...Just my thoughts--I have no information to back this up...

Forced to wonder how meaningful the "head coach" label is at the HWC so long as the Brands are coaching guys on both sides. On the one hand it seems clear the HWC needs bolstering but it also seems like the potential for conflict is there, based only on my not-extremely-informed speculation about the personalities involved, wonder what others think.

I think the big thing is it gets Perry in the room working with the middle weights. Maybe that helps a guy like Kemerer close the gap on Nolf a little bit. He also brings a different wrestling style than the rest of the staff. It will be interesting to see who, if anybody, comes with him.

did Perry ever really compete on the freestyle circuit after college?

Meijia can't catch a break. Does anyone know whether Mejia has already signed his NLI?

Are any of you taxi cab drivers? Because there is a guy somewhere with more information than we do on why this went down as it did.

PS- Perry is the kevin bacon of the wrestling world

but it also seems like the potential for conflict is there, based only on my not-extremely-informed speculation about the personalities involved, wonder what others think.

If it was a corporate setting, then it's a ready-made disaster, because Tom, Terry, and Mark are going to make a lot of holes in the conference room walls. But it's wrestling, and I suspect the Iowa room has long kept a supply of sheetrock and spackling in a utility closet somewhere. Wouldn't shock me to learn that Terry can still run a 5k in under 20 min while wearing drywall stilts.

It's a puzzler to me. From head coach at Cal Poly to associate head coach at Illinois to Nick Fanthorpe's peer in a few short years? It's not climbing the ladder, that's for sure. It can be spun any number of ways, but it gets a "meh" from me.

It's a puzzler to me. From head coach at Cal Poly to associate head coach at Illinois to Nick Fanthorpe's peer in a few short years? It's not climbing the ladder, that's for sure. It can be spun any number of ways, but it gets a "meh" from me.

It's definitely climbing the ladder from a money standpoint. I haven't read what his contract is, but I doubt it's much less than what Metcalf got at Isu.

Perry was never head coach at Cal Poly. He was "co head coach" there for 1 year.

Im sure Perry will be upset with your "meh" when his checks start rolling in.

I read perry was making a little less than 100k. So maybe they throw him another 20-30k and give him "HC" of HWC (speculation on my part about the $$), but I doubt he gets metcalf money (again speculation on my part)

Perry wasnt getting HC in champagne from what Im told, as Jeremy is more favored for the position (grapevine).

Mark knew he wasnt getting it (grapevine) so he took the pay bump and change of scenery (again) to keep moving up the ladder.

Calling it now, if HWC has success it will be given to Mark not TnT, and in 3 years when the next Iowa NC DOESNT HAPPEN, people on the internet and beer halls of Iowa will start pushing for mark.

To me this whole hiring is more about the Ames affect, than the rebirth of the HWC.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Still say it's kind of odd that he's head of the club. Perry's best two attributes is recruiting (can't do it) and his mat wrestling (n/a in free). I'm sure he will still have an impact in these areas but it would of made a lot more sense to put Terry in charge of HWC and make Perry an assistant college coach. That being said, this still has to be viewed as a big positive for Iowa to get a paid head coaching position for the club. They have fallen behind some of the other program's RTCs so this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Reactions: SRATH and lionlover
From a coaching standpoint I imagine Perry will likely fill the void left when Metcalf left the HWC for greener pastures. Good get for T&T.

From a coaching standpoint I imagine Perry will likely fill the void left when Metcalf left the HWC for greener pastures. Good get for T&T.

I don't see him "filling the void". Metcalf had a much more successful international career than Perry. You really can't even begin to compare the two. It's a puzzler all around. I don't see it changing anything.

It is a good move for Iowa.
He may not a glamorous freestyle resume, but along the way he has shown an ability to recruit kids and teach wrestling.

He may not be able to recruit future Hawks, but he most certainly can recruit graduating college wrestlers to Iowa City and the Hawkeye TC could use an influx of talent.

The single year Perry was in State College he was great with Quentin. He was also good giving verbal garbage back to the Iowa guys who at the time ran roughshod over many opposing staffs. While here he was all in.
Wherever he has gone he has been successful. I imagine the same result will follow him to IC.
That doesn't mean he is a game changer or anything like that. It just means he will have successes.

Mark was huge in developing a true freshman Quentin Wright. Glad to see at least one poster can see that amongst most of the hate.

This is a huge move for the Iowa Wrestling style IMO. If you have followed some of the negative post I have against the coaching staff the last few years, other than recruiting mindset I have questioned what is being taught in the room. Whos teaching riding and turning? Who is teaching guys to be slick? Who is teaching being comfortable in uncomfortable situations?

TnT seemed to have gotten away from elite riding and the modern tilt game. Sure they can coach up a Metcalf Ramos, Marion, Gilman type to be a takedown machine on your feet but none of those guys and currently Sorenson really could turn or ride much. Its what held them back when it came down to it. Gilman should have been able to ride a Cruz. You have to be able to have a Clark type arsenal to win the Friday and Sat night matches. Zain has it. Majority of PSU does because they are comfortable in odd positions. Have Iowa guys been? Other than Clark and Brooks its completely lacking. Perry can teach that.
I've been an advocate for Borschal over M* because of this.

So Iowa gains this coach in the room now and its much needed. It doesn't do Iowa any good to bring in the elite recruits and still get out savvied by a Nickal who can throw a leg in and get a free takedown rolling out of bounds. Which IMO set the whole tone for the rest of the Dean match. Or a guy that can teach a Kem Dawg to stay out of that spladle.

Oh and you also gain a hidden recruiter for areas like Blair Academy, California, Illinois.

Maybe its just me but again a Metcalf wasnt going to teach a Sorenson type on how to improve rolling around with a Zain. But Perry can teach you to get a cheap tilt out of nowhere on a sat night in march versus a defending NCAA champion who was going for his 3rd title. You know stuff like Nickal and Cenzo did., That stuff is fun!

Its a win win no matter how much you hate iowa on this board. Iowa needed his style, coaching in the room. Perry knows Iowa, Cowboy and east coast/ PSU styles. And quite frankly guys like Kem, Marinelli need this addition. I didn't want Marinelli to be a only on his feet takedown guy who had no tilt game or couldn't ride another elite. Ive seen enough of that one dimensional crap.

Plus it will be a trickle down effect. im hoping Chris Perry can help shape a Warner in match management. Imart can help shape marinelli, Kem & Kaleb young things like this.

Honestly its amazing you can find anything negative because Iowa couldn't get any more boring to watch is what you guys always say right?

Mark was huge in developing a true freshman Quentin Wright. Glad to see at least one poster can see that amongst most of the hate.

This is a huge move for the Iowa Wrestling style IMO. If you have followed some of the negative post I have against the coaching staff the last few years, other than recruiting mindset I have questioned what is being taught in the room. Whos teaching riding and turning? Who is teaching guys to be slick? Who is teaching being comfortable in uncomfortable situations?

TnT seemed to have gotten away from elite riding and the modern tilt game. Sure they can coach up a Metcalf Ramos, Marion, Gilman type to be a takedown machine on your feet but none of those guys and currently Sorenson really could turn or ride much. Its what held them back when it came down to it. Gilman should have been able to ride a Cruz. You have to be able to have a Clark type arsenal to win the Friday and Sat night matches. Zain has it. Majority of PSU does because they are comfortable in odd positions. Have Iowa guys been? Other than Clark and Brooks its completely lacking. Perry can teach that.
I've been an advocate for Borschal over M* because of this.

So Iowa gains this coach in the room now and its much needed. It doesn't do Iowa any good to bring in the elite recruits and still get out savvied by a Nickal who can throw a leg in and get a free takedown rolling out of bounds. Which IMO set the whole tone for the rest of the Dean match. Or a guy that can teach a Kem Dawg to stay out of that spladle.

Oh and you also gain a hidden recruiter for areas like Blair Academy, California, Illinois.

Maybe its just me but again a Metcalf wasnt going to teach a Sorenson type on how to improve rolling around with a Zain. But Perry can teach you to get a cheap tilt out of nowhere on a sat night in march versus a defending NCAA champion who was going for his 3rd title. You know stuff like Nickal and Cenzo did., That stuff is fun!

Its a win win no matter how much you hate iowa on this board. Iowa needed his style, coaching in the room. Perry knows Iowa, Cowboy and east coast/ PSU styles. And quite frankly guys like Kem, Marinelli need this addition. I didn't want Marinelli to be a only on his feet takedown guy who had no tilt game or couldn't ride another elite. Ive seen enough of that one dimensional crap.

Plus it will be a trickle down effect. im hoping Chris Perry can help shape a Warner in match management. Imart can help shape marinelli, Kem & Kaleb young things like this.

Honestly its amazing you can find anything negative because Iowa couldn't get any more boring to watch is what you guys always say right?
Good stuff, though much of this is outside the freestyle coach's job.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT