ADVERTISEMENT

Pens end Caps 7-game win streak...

Pens fans used to celebrate Stanley Cup wins. Now they celebrate regular season wins :(

They’re starting to round into a team ready to make a run...playing their best hockey at the right time. The 2 kids they got from Florida are finding their roles and contributing big-time. Once they get Letang back, their makeshift blue line might actually look like a decent group. Good win tonight.

With Gudbranson onboard, I take it little Tommy Wilson was quiet? Certainly on the scoresheet! Go Pens!

He tried to after Guentzel, but Gudbranson intercepted him and slammed him to the ice. Wilson didn't look too happy about it. I have no idea how that guy is still in the league. It's clear as day he has not learned his lesson and is back in to his cheap shot head hunting ways.

He tried to after Guentzel, but Gudbranson intercepted him and slammed him to the ice. Wilson didn't look too happy about it. I have no idea how that guy is still in the league. It's clear as day he has not learned his lesson and is back in to his cheap shot head hunting ways.
Poor poops! No sympathy for that goon!

Pens fans used to celebrate Stanley Cup wins. Now they celebrate regular season wins :(
Let's see. This team has won 9 of their last 10 playoff series, and 3 Stanley Cups since 2009, and you make a comment like this. At least this team took advantage of their window, which admittedly is closing. But so what. I still think that this team can make a run, especially if they can avoid Tampa until the third round.

Let's see. This team has won 9 of their last 10 playoff series, and 3 Stanley Cups since 2009, and you make a comment like this. At least this team took advantage of their window, which admittedly is closing. But so what. I still think that this team can make a run, especially if they can avoid Tampa until the third round.

The way the Pens are playing right now, I like the Pens in any playoff series they find themselves in including Tampa. It is not easy to win the Stanley Cup, but it seems to me that the Pens are peaking at the right time.

Reactions: odshowtime
The way the Pens are playing right now, I like the Pens in any playoff series they find themselves in including Tampa. It is not easy to win the Stanley Cup, but it seems to me that the Pens are peaking at the right time.
Although I fear for the future because of our depleted farm system, the trade that Rutherford made with Florida is turning out to be an absolute heist. Also, it was necessary to get a player like Gudbranson, although they never should've traded Reeves last year.

They've also played the better part of the last month without their best defenseman, and also Matta, who is a top four defenseman for them. Also, Rust has been out for the past two weeks, and he was having a great second half of the season. Hopefully, they get all of those guys back.

What was the serious they lost… Oh yeah, I remember

Although I fear for the future because of our depleted farm system, the trade that Rutherford made with Florida is turning out to be an absolute heist. Also, it was necessary to get a player like Gudbranson, although they never should've traded Reeves last year.

They've also played the better part of the last month without their best defenseman, and also Matta, who is a top four defenseman for them. Also, Rust has been out for the past two weeks, and he was having a great second half of the season. Hopefully, they get all of those guys back.
Agree...Pens are playing top of the league quality hockey and, baring injury, will only get better as they continue to get used to the new guys and others get healthy. Murray has been en fuego.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I guess when you play a very good team in a 1000 series, that very good team is bound to win one of them, especially when the other team had won the last two Stanley Cups and their previous nine playoff series.

glad to hear you've found closure

Yep, as I remember one of their last 2 cup seasons played out in a similar way. Injuries during the season, a few trades near the deadline, and when the full team was healthy and the couple new players got into their roles the team rolled down the stretch and through the playoffs. I like the way the new players are playing. A nice young winger with a pedigree that seems to have hit the ground running in McCann. A big boy to put clowns like Wilson to the ice in Gudbranson. And the nucleus of Crosby, Malkin, Gentzel, Hornqvist, Kessel to lead a speed and skill offense. And as Letang comes back the D will again be very deep.

There are a good many talented teams, and a few breaks or injuries can put any team out of the playoffs quickly, but the Pens are set up for a chance to make a deep run in the SC playoffs. What more could Pens fans ask for?

You fear for the future because guys like Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel are getting older. But don't forget guys like Guentzel, ZAR, McCann and plenty of others are young. In fact part of the thinking of the McCann trade was to get younger guys with more time left on their contracts.

They still have time to get the farm system rebuilt before the Crosby window closes.

Interesting stats on the new players:

Gudbranson was -27 with the Canucks. He's +5 in his seven games with the Penguins.

Brassard had 9 goals through 40 games with Pittsburgh, McCann has 9 in just 20 games since that trade.

Bjugstad has 5 goals, 3 assists for 8 points in his 20 games. Sheahan had 7 goals, 2 assists for 9 points in 49 games before he got traded.

Not every trade works out for us, but seems like JR made some pretty solid moves this time around.

Reactions: cavic and TheGLOV
I didn't like the trade for Gudbranson at first...but he has been contributing on the score sheet. If he provides a measure of protection for Sidney as well, then may be it will work out. The division is still pretty tight....but I always like our chances if we can get into the playoffs.

I didn't like the trade for Gudbranson at first...but he has been contributing on the score sheet. If he provides a measure of protection for Sidney as well, then may be it will work out. The division is still pretty tight....but I always like our chances if we can get into the playoffs.

Is there really any question of if the Pens can make into the playoffs right now the way they are playing. A couple of weeks ago, yes. The question I have right now is whether the Pens will play well enough down the stretch to overtake the Capitals and the Islanders and win the Metropolitan Division.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Lion409
For most teams, it's not that easy to make the NHL playoffs anymore, such is the parity in this league. This year, it may take at least 97 or 98 points just to make the playoffs, which is amazing. This means that the Pens probably still need to win at least five or six more games, which they should be able to do.

Is there really any question of if the Pens can make into the playoffs right now the way they are playing. A couple of weeks ago, yes. The question I have right now is whether the Pens will play well enough down the stretch to overtake the Capitals and the Islanders and win the Metropolitan Division.

This team has been hot and cold all season. Another losing streak could doom them. They could miss the playoffs or they could win it all. That's how odd this team has been this year.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Lion409
You fear for the future because guys like Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel are getting older. But don't forget guys like Guentzel, ZAR, McCann and plenty of others are young. In fact part of the thinking of the McCann trade was to get younger guys with more time left on their contracts.
They still have time to get the farm system rebuilt before the Crosby window closes.
Interesting stats on the new players:

Gudbranson was -27 with the Canucks. He's +5 in his seven games with the Penguins.

Brassard had 9 goals through 40 games with Pittsburgh, McCann has 9 in just 20 games since that trade.

Bjugstad has 5 goals, 3 assists for 8 points in his 20 games. Sheahan had 7 goals, 2 assists for 9 points in 49 games before he got traded.

Not every trade works out for us, but seems like JR made some pretty solid moves this time around.

Yep, and a good part of that is Sid. He just makes players around him better, and his work ethic and unselfish play sets the tone for the team. It's his team and hopefully will be until he retires. But he looks to have lots of years left in the tank, which is a bonus given that Pens fans have already had 14 years of enjoyment from watching him play!! Who knows, he could torment the Flyers for another 10 years!!

I see Brassard as one of the most over rated players the Pens ever acquired. Even Rutherford makes some mistakes.

Sure the Pens nucleus is getting older, as pointed out above. But the Pens are also gradually forming a pretty solid younger group of players as well in Murray, Guentzel, McCann,....

Last edited:
Funny fight; Guddy took him down as Wilson was going crazy trying to get to Guentzel, with two officials on landing top of them. Tommy Cheapshot then takes a cheapshot at Guddy while Guddy was still down w an official on top of him. Then when they are both up, Wilson back pedals, spinning around to make sure a ref is always between the two of them. Of course, he was screaming invectives the whole time so he would look like a tough guy.

Guddy is in Wilson's head. I think Wilson actually fears him. If they meet in playoffs, I hope Guddy steps on the ice every time Tommy Cheapshot does.

Bad fight to pick when talking Pens vs Caps. Pens will take their five Stanley Cups and go home, thanks.

There hasn't been a thread on the Pens on this board in weeks. One win over the Caps and suddenly things spring to life. It's very much celebrating a regular season win.

Sure the Pens nucleus is getting older, as pointed out above. But the Pens are also gradually forming a pretty solid younger group of players as well in Murray, Guentzel, McCann,....

Go down the roster and it isn't really that old. Cullen is 42, but the next oldest guy is Malkin who will turn 33 this summer. Hornqvist is 32. Johnson is 32 and Letang will be 32 in April, but they play defense, which for whatever reason seems easier to play at an older age. Crosby will be 32 in August. Other significant contributors:

Guentzel - 24
ZAR - 24
Rust - 26
Bjugstad - 26
Dumoulin - 27
Gudbranson - 27
Maata - 24
McCann - 22
Petterson - 22
Riikola - 25
Schultz - 28
Murray - 24

I think JR is doing a pretty good job of keeping the roster young while adding the right parts for a good playoff run this year.

There hasn't been a thread on the Pens on this board in weeks. One win over the Caps and suddenly things spring to life. It's very much celebrating a regular season win.

Pens snapped the Bruins 19 game points streak a couple of days before snapping the Capitals 7 game winning streak. It's getting close to playoff time. Maybe people just feel like now it the time to start talking about hockey?

Yep, and a good part of that is Sid. He just makes players around him better, and his work ethic and unselfish play sets the tone for the team. It's his team and hopefully will be until he retires. But he looks to have lots of years left in the tank, which is a bonus given that Pens fans have already had 14 years of enjoyment from watching him play!! Who knows, he could torment the Flyers for another 10 years!!

I see Brassard as one of the most over rated players the Pens ever acquired. Even Rutherford makes some mistakes.

Very similar to Lemieux and Jagr in the late 90s. Remember Robert Lang, Kovalev, Straka, Hrdina, Nedved, Zubov, and Smolinski.
These were good players but played even better for the Pens.

Funny fight; Guddy took him down as Wilson was going crazy trying to get to Guentzel, with two officials on landing top of them. Tommy Cheapshot then takes a cheapshot at Guddy while Guddy was still down w an official on top of him. Then when they are both up, Wilson back pedals, spinning around to make sure a ref is always between the two of them. Of course, he was screaming invectives the whole time so he would look like a tough guy.

Guddy is in Wilson's head. I think Wilson actually fears him. If they meet in playoffs, I hope Guddy steps on the ice every time Tommy Cheapshot does.

The fight in Vancouver was pretty funny. Wilson was like some annoying Chihuahua that keeps trying to get a German Shepherd to fight. Finally, the German Shepherd has enough, and just uses the Chihuahua as a human punching bag.

I think there is another clip of that fight where it shows Gudbranson rocking Wilson's head backwards with that one uppercut. It seems to be cut out of the video above. Wilson knew he bit off more than he could chew in that one.

End Caps

1200px-Endcaps_at_a_Wal-Mart.jpg

In any case they would be at best out in the first round of playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT