ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State's Joe Paterno has the most wins all-time in D1 college football.

B7fXbruCEAIuetK.jpg

Unlikely. Joe said that he didn't think Jay should have been the next head coach and Jay himself said that he was never under consideration. I do think that Joe was loyal to his assistant coaches so he would have likely pushed for somebody like Bradley or LJ. I think he would have wanted one of those guys to keep Jay on the staff.
The next coach was not coming from the staff and Jay was never going to be kept Joe himself at presser said Jay would have to coach somewhere else if he wanted to remain coaching it would be to be some where else and that will never happen BTW why

You must not follow college football other than PSU. And as for looking like morons
they could have mentioned that under Paterno the elder, PSU was the only team in college football to have no OC, no DC, no offensive line coach and no idea who was calling the plays.

Bradley wasn't DC? I guess you thought Roof and Butler were a big improvement.

In Joe's last 7 seasons he averaged less than 3 losses per year. Yet you praise Franklin for losing only 3 games last year?

I think Franklin is doing a great job and I definitely think that Joe stayed too long. I also thought it was wrong for Joe to hire Jay. But why must you constantly belittle Joe?

2005: 11-1
2006: 9-4
2007: 9-4
2008: 11-2
2009: 11-2
2010: 7-6
2011: 8-1 (until fired)

There were two B1G titles in the last 6 years and an outside shot at a 3rd before the JS crap hit the fan. You act like the team had no idea what it was doing.

P.S. Galen Hall was listed as OC and running backs coach.

The next coach was not coming from the staff and Jay was never going to be kept Joe himself at presser said Jay would have to coach somewhere else if he wanted to remain coaching it would be to be some where else and that will never happen BTW why

Jay could have coached somewhere else, just not at a high level. I believe he could have got a job like he had at UConn or James Madison.

You must not follow college football other than PSU. And as for looking like morons
they could have mentioned that under Paterno the elder, PSU was the only team in college football to have no OC, no DC, no offensive line coach and no idea who was calling the plays.
Still waiting for examples.

409.. I left work early that Saturday afternoon and drove through the snowstorm to get to that game. I wasn't allowed to leave work as an essential state employee until 2 and didn't get into the stadium until midway through the 1st quarter. My buddy was going to go but couldn't make it as his home lost power and he had a newborn. From the frustration of watching Bolden run the offense in the second quarter to Derek Moye coming in to play on a broken foot in the 4th quarter and the students all rushing behind the goal posts to yell and scream and distract the Illinois kicker it was an up and down emotional game.. and then Joe spoke to the crowd in Beaver Stadium from the heart for the final time.. I was cold, wet,sober and now so thankful I could hear Joe that last time as grateful as ever to the players, the coaches and the fans. Listen to the players and coaches talk about him and you'll know what kind of man he his.

Those who say everyone's minds are made up about Joe.. mine certainly is. Joe was a great man and the best coach in the history of college football. Joe was always a hero to me. Nothing is going to change that.

How many billions, with a b, was Joe responsible for raising for the university? How many major fundraising campaigns has the university had to cancel since then?

Reactions: tobakkorudy
How many billions, with a b, was Joe responsible for raising for the university? How many major fundraising campaigns has the university had to cancel since then?

Has the university canceled fundraising campaigns?

And yet they still won 409 games had 2 NCs 5 undefeated seasons multiple All Americans and won 23 bowl games

Yeah-I guess it did not work.

In Joe's last 7 seasons he averaged less than 3 losses per year. Yet you praise Franklin for losing only 3 games last year?

I think Franklin is doing a great job and I definitely think that Joe stayed too long. I also thought it was wrong for Joe to hire Jay. But why must you constantly belittle Joe?

There were two B1G titles in the last 6 years and an outside shot at a 3rd before the JS crap hit the fan. You act like the team had no idea what it was doing.

Bradley was the de facto DC and from 2000 till 2004 it was assumed Assistant
Head Coach Fran Ganter ran the offense but who knows. In 2004 after several
losing seasons, Hall was hired as OC but he obviously wasn't. He was hired
mostly to help Jay with the offense. Ganter was kicked to an administrative job.

Bradley was the de facto DC and from 2000 till 2004 it was assumed Assistant
Head Coach Fran Ganter ran the offense but who knows. In 2004 after several
losing seasons, Hall was hired as OC but he obviously wasn't. He was hired
mostly to help Jay with the offense. Ganter was kicked to an administrative job.
Ganter left on his own after his wife passed away.

Reactions: 91Joe95
You still didn't offer an examples

Lloyd Carr, Mark Richt, Mack Brown to name a few. Since you know so little
about football, perhaps you should refrain from posting.
those guys are pikers compared to JVP!! Floyd? what 13 yrs at scUM? Richt 15 yrs at UGA, Brown?? 15 yrs at Texas? That's nothing, no currency there.
But let me ask, how has it worked out for UGA, scUM, and Texas so far without them?

Lloyd Carr, Mark Richt, Mack Brown to name a few. Since you know so little
about football, perhaps you should refrain from posting.
Carr- 12 years
Richt- 14 years
Brown- 15 years

Not exactly in the ballpark with how long Paterno was coach and I said in my post to name coaches that had similar tenures as Paterno that were let go for winning 8 or 9 games a year, had three really good seasons in their last 10, brought in the money Joe did and had the grad rates Joe did. Nice try but you're not even close. So maybe you should brush up on your college football or your reading comprehension skills or refrain from posting.

Carr- 12 years
Richt- 14 years
Brown- 15 years

Not exactly in the ballpark with how long Paterno was coach and I said in my post to name coaches that had similar tenures as Paterno that were let go for winning 8 or 9 games a year, had three really good seasons in their last 10, brought in the money Joe did and had the grad rates Joe did. Nice try but you're not even close. So maybe you should brush up on your college football or your reading comprehension skills or refrain from posting.

No one is in the ballpark with how long Paterno was coach. The correct term for Paterno's tenure is "too long". And Paterno's job title was Head Football Coach not fundraiser or
Academic Advisor. I would have been fine with Paterno staying as long as he wanted
if he had resigned as coach and taken one of the latter positions.

those guys are pikers compared to JVP!! Floyd? what 13 yrs at scUM? Richt 15 yrs at UGA, Brown?? 15 yrs at Texas? That's nothing, no currency there.
But let me ask, how has it worked out for UGA, scUM, and Texas so far without them?

Those schools have struggled so far without the coaches they got rid of. On the other
hand, PSU is thriving without Paterno. What is your point?

Those schools have struggled so far without the coaches they got rid of. On the other
hand, PSU is thriving without Paterno. What is your point?
My point? you seemed to indicate that changing the coach was all that was needed to correct a programs path. These guys changed coaches, but have their paths havent changed.

Last edited:
No one is in the ballpark with how long Paterno was coach. The correct term for Paterno's tenure is "too long". And Paterno's job title was Head Football Coach not fundraiser or
Academic Advisor. I would have been fine with Paterno staying as long as he wanted
if he had resigned as coach and taken one of the latter positions.
So my honest question to you is if you were president of a university and you had a football coach that had been there for many, many years... and he raised a ton of money for the university, won a lot more than he lost, graduated his players at a very high rate, and had national championships under his belt, would you get rid of him? Be honest and think about it from an administrator's point of view and not a fan's point of view. Sure, fans want to compete for NC's every year, but very few schools actually do that. So if you're getting all these other things and you go to bowls pretty much every year and win those bowls, I seriously doubt there are too many administrators in the world that would get rid of that person.

So my honest question to you is if you were president of a university and you had a football coach that had been there for many, many years... and he raised a ton of money for the university, won a lot more than he lost, graduated his players at a very high rate, and had national championships under his belt, would you get rid of him? Be honest and think about it from an administrator's point of view and not a fan's point of view. Sure, fans want to compete for NC's every year, but very few schools actually do that. So if you're getting all these other things and you go to bowls pretty much every year and win those bowls, I seriously doubt there are too many administrators in the world that would get rid of that person.

As an administrator, doing what's best for the University would be the priority. And Paterno
because of his reputation and record would be very difficult to fire. I can certainly
understand why Spanier would be loathe to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT