ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State's Joe Paterno has the most wins all-time in D1 college football.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
409 wins. In case you were wondering.

joe-paterno.jpg

The goal in college football, as I understand it, is to win. Some programs across the country base their entire existence on it. It would seem to be, therefore, that winning is pretty important.

Penn State is home to the winningest D1 college football coach. 409.

HIs cowardly assassins waited until he was 84 years old and suffering from terminal cancer. Surma, Lubert, Masser, Frazier, Joyner, Suhey, Peetz, names that will live in infamy.
Please show proof that they knew he had cancer.

Please show proof that they knew he had cancer.
Read my post carefully. Now, where did I state they "knew" he was suffering from terminal cancer? What I stated was a fact. He WAS 84 AND he was suffering from terminal cancer.
What we do know, is that the trustees were aware that JVP was going to step down at the end of the season for health reasons. Paul Suhey was quick to point out that all they did was retire him 2 weeks early.
So perhaps you wish to offer "proof" that these noble men and woman didn't know Joe was terminally ill?
We also know that a very close relative of the lead assassin circulated a letter to football lettermen urging them to see that "the rat" was disgraced before he "checked out." Do you care to deny this?
If kicking dirt on Joe before he died wasn't enough, the OGBOT hired Louis Freeh, who promised he would make every effort to "provide" the desired results. Now are you going to tell me he didn't satisfy the OGBOT desire to denigrate Joe and implicate him in "a conspiracy of silence?" A conspiracy that even Frank Fina found no evidence of JVP's participation.

409 wins. In case you were wondering.

joe-paterno.jpg

One of the few records that may never be broken.

Same with his 24 bowl wins. To put that in perspective:
  • Bear Bryant had 15
  • Urban Meyer has 10
  • Nick Saban has 10
And back in Joe's day there weren't that many bowl games. You didn't get one with 6 or 7 wins.

Last edited:
Joe was so much than the all time wins leader.I think we were so fortunate to have a man of his character as our coach.I can care less what some idiots opinions are of him who really didn't know what Joe was all about

I was talking with a Pitt alum today that I met for the first time. After he pointed out that Pitt beat both the B1G champs and National champs last season, and I told him they then sh.t the bed, he asked me abut the statue being brought back. My answer was that it should never have been taken down in the first place. He of course disagreed, and insisted Joe had to know, and that Joe should have done more after the "quarterback" reported it to him. I saw the way this was going, so I said see you Sept 9th.
Point being, everyone else's mind is made up, and no matter what they are told now or learn, it will never change. Joe was the bad guy, and that's all there is to it.

I was talking with a Pitt alum today that I met for the first time. After he pointed out that Pitt beat both the B1G champs and National champs last season, and I told him they then sh.t the bed, he asked me abut the statue being brought back. My answer was that it should never have been taken down in the first place. He of course disagreed, and insisted Joe had to know, and that Joe should have done more after the "quarterback" reported it to him. I saw the way this was going, so I said see you Sept 9th.
Point being, everyone else's mind is made up, and no matter what they are told now or learn, it will never change. Joe was the bad guy, and that's all there is to it.

I like to ask people what they think he should have done, and then proceed to point out he actually did it and more. It's fun to watch them squirm. Did you tip him for the pizza?

One of the few records that may never be broken.

Same with his 24 bowl wins. To put that in perspective:
  • Bear Bryant had 15
  • Urban Meyer has 10
  • Nick Saban has 10
And back in Joe's day there weren't that many bowl games. You didn't get one with 6 or 7 wins.
It likely will only because everyone gets to play a bowl game these days. There was a time going to a bowl game meant something.

Unfortunately true even though there is zero evidence that Joe conspired to cover things up to protect football. In fact those charges were dropped against C/S/S a long time ago.

It's one thing to think Joe should have taken more initiative on this. It's another thing to say that he covered JS's crimes in order to protect football. But that's the impression many people have given the way the media reported things.

Reactions: Bob78
It likely will only because everyone gets to play a bowl game these days. There was a time going to a bowl game meant something.

That's a very good point but think about it. Saban needs 14 more wins and he's 65 years old. If he coaches until he's 79 years old he would have to go 14-0.

Meyer is only 53 but there is no way he's still coaching for another 14 years.

A person would have to coach for 36 years, get a bowl game every year, and win 2/3 of his games. I don't see the record being broken in our lifetime.

P.S. Joe was an amazing 13-4 in major bowls.

Read my post carefully. Now, where did I state they "knew" he was suffering from terminal cancer? What I stated was a fact. He WAS 84 AND he was suffering from terminal cancer.
What we do know, is that the trustees were aware that JVP was going to step down at the end of the season for health reasons. Paul Suhey was quick to point out that all they did was retire him 2 weeks early.
So perhaps you wish to offer "proof" that these noble men and woman didn't know Joe was terminally ill?
We also know that a very close relative of the lead assassin circulated a letter to football lettermen urging them to see that "the rat" was disgraced before he "checked out." Do you care to deny this?
If kicking dirt on Joe before he died wasn't enough, the OGBOT hired Louis Freeh, who promised he would make every effort to "provide" the desired results. Now are you going to tell me he didn't satisfy the OGBOT desire to denigrate Joe and implicate him in "a conspiracy of silence?" A conspiracy that even Frank Fina found no evidence of JVP's participation.
Please. Joe could have stepped down at any point for health reasons. His selfishness and ego prevented him from doing it years before when he should have. You have proven nothing.

I don't care about the BoT or what they did or didn't do. There is a simple fact, that has nothing to do with Sandusky, that Joe stayed on too long. His ego was the priority and not the interest of the program.

That's a very good point but think about it. Saban needs 14 more wins and he's 65 years old. If he coaches until he's 79 years old he would have to go 14-0.

Meyer is only 53 but there is no way he's still coaching for another 14 years.

A person would have to coach for 36 years, get a bowl game every year, and win 2/3 of his games. I don't see the record being broken in our lifetime.

P.S. Joe was an amazing 13-4 in major bowls.
Joe's major bowl record won't be challenged.

I don't see anymore Paterno's and Bowden's coming along. More in the mold of an Eddie Robinson that coaches forever at a mid major because he loves the control and lack of pressure.

You're correct that no coach at a big time school will touch it.

No one ever accused pitt alums of being intelligent. Your mistake was talking with him in the first place.

Joe's major bowl record won't be challenged.

I don't see anymore Paterno's and Bowden's coming along. More in the mold of an Eddie Robinson that coaches forever at a mid major because he loves the control and lack of pressure.

You're correct that no coach at a big time school will touch it.

That is true. Because no other big time school is going to let someone coach
until they are 84 years old. PSU should have done Paterno a favor by getting rid of him15 years earlier. He wouldn't have 409 wins but would have his reputation.

Reactions: Corabi94
until they are 84 years old. PSU should have done Paterno a favor by getting rid of him15 years earlier. He wouldn't have 409 wins but would have his reputation.
To a certain extent I agree, but he did have some really good years in 08 and 09.

It's hard to tell the man that built it "you're no longer needed".

To a certain extent I agree, but he did have some really good years in 08 and 09.

It's hard to tell the man that built it "you're no longer needed".

He didn't build it. PSU had fine teams and a new stadium before he took over.
He certainly improved the football program but let's not pretend he created it.
I personally think the administration was cowed by Paterno. and his following
so they let him stay far longer than they should have.

Stop it, you sound ridiculous. Nobody argues he created it, my grandfather played for them long before Paterno was ever there. But Paterno is the reason PSU is one of the 10 blue bloods of college football, and not just another Syracuse. For that, and for the success he continued to maintain, he deserved every minute he was there.

Of course they were put in a no win situation. Paterno was such a rare breed it was impossible to just fire him.

He managed to be extremely successful and created a philosophy that winning wasn't the most important thing.

Good luck finding a reason to get rid of that legend. Especially if he's willing to make some changes.

Reactions: Bob78

You're such an arse. This post wasn't about JS, it was about Joe's incredible record. You can't seem to take enough shots at him.

You're correct that very few will coach until age 84 but it's also true that teams play 2 more games than they did during much of Paterno's career. He also won 75% of his games, something not many have done over an extended period.

Also, not many coaches have won 2/3 of their bowl games or more than 3/4 of major bowls. You've got to sink pretty low to diminish his record.

Last edited:

If that is what matters to you then get off the train.

You're such an arse. This post wasn't about JS, it was about Joe's incredible record. You can't seem to take enough shots at him.

You're correct that very few will coach until age 84 but it's also true that teams play 2 more games than they did during much of Paterno's career. He also won 75% of his games, something not many have done over an extended period.

Also, not many coaches have won 2/3 of their bowl games or more than 3/4 of major bowls. You've got to sink pretty low to diminish his record.

Baloney. Every twenty minutes some nut creates a tribute to Joe thread on this
board. Then when someone like I inserts some reality into the fawning, the lemmings
are outraged. Get a life.

ADVERTISEMENT