ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State will have 2 breakout stars in 2023, writes PFF (article linked)

We have so much elite talent on defense. If the interior of the dline can hold up and at least be serviceable, this defense has a potential to be special.

Reactions: 81b&w and royboy
PFF had them both rated #1 in various categories last season.

Apparently they didn't have them projected as 1st Rounders. That is what he's projecting - that they are going to breakout in getting a lot of attention as uber-high draft picks.

I hope we have three 1st-2nd rounders off of our defense--Chop, Kalen, and Curtis. That would bode well for a playoff run...
I believe Carter is the best one of them. And the best part is that he'll be at PSU though 2024 unless someone buys him out....... ;)

Breakout players named are Kalen King and Chop Robinson - HERE'S A HOTLINK TO ARTICLE. By-the-bye, PFF is "Pro Football Focus".

Kalen King is the real deal. No doubt at all.

Robinson‘s media hype is way ahead of what has been demonstrated on the field. I just have not seen a Courtney Brown, Aaron Maybin, or Arnold Ebiketie consistency from him.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State will give Robinson the opportunity to see if the hype is warranted.

Could Abdul Carter become the best #11 in PSU football history?

That would be saying something.
Pretty tought to be better than Parsons as a football player as we tend to be influenced by his ongoing NFL career. But Parsons only had one full year as a starter, and I don't recall even Parsons doing what Carter did last year in his true freshman season. And LA was just spectacular with the splash plays. I know Bowman was good but I don't put him in the class with Parsons and Arrington. If Carter is an All American and first team All B10 the next two years, distroying running plays and getting 10+ sacks each year we will have to speak about him right along with Parson and Arrington. And if Carter can lead PSU to a B10 title and into the playoff, even the 12 team playoff in 2024, then he may approach Shane Conlan as far as leadership and team accomplishments go........

Last edited:
Reactions: Hero17 and royboy
Pretty tought to be better than Parsons as a football player as we tend to be influenced by his ongoing NFL career. But Parsons only had one full year as a starter, and I don't recall even Parsons doing what Carter did last year in his true freshman season. And LA was just spectacular with the splash plays. I know Bowman was good but I don't put him in the class with Parsons and Arrington. If Carter is an All American and first team All B10 the next two years, distroying running plays and getting 10+ sacks each year we will have to speak about him right along with Parson and Arrington. And if Carter can lead PSU to a B10 title and into the playoff, even teh 12 team playoff in 2024, then he'll be on a par with Shane Conlan as far as leadership and team accomplishments go........
Wow. Reaching number 31 Shane Conlan status would be an amazing achievement given Conlan played in consecutive National Championship games.

Robinson‘s media hype is way ahead of what has been demonstrated on the field. I just have not seen a Courtney Brown, Aaron Maybin, or Arnold Ebiketie consistency from him.

I hope we see him and DDS meeting in the back field holding a helmet 15+ times this year. The hype does seem a tad high, but they factor in expected combine performances with that as well. We need guys who are threats to sack the QB or blow up a run every down. Last year, Chop was at best a good situational pass rusher.

Reactions: blair10 and royboy
I'm going to add Kobe King, Johnny Dixon, Abdul Carter, and Dani Dennis-Sutton to this list.

Kalen King is the real deal. No doubt at all.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State will give Robinson the opportunity to see if the hype is warranted.
Robinson was just a true soph in his first season at PSU, and that was his first season at DE in the B10 as well. Although college careers are shorter now than when Courtney Brown and Maybin played, experience still contributes to better play. It's not unreasonable to expect Robinson to be a more consistent game wrecker if he builds on his success with the increases strength he should have with a year training to play DE.

Reactions: 81b&w
I'm going to add Kobe King, Johnny Dixon, Abdul Carter, and Dani Dennis-Sutton to this list.
You can add Johnny. But not Abdul and Dani. They're both sophomores this year and ineligible for the 2024 draft.

They are both gonna be top 20 picks in 2025 though, if you ask me. Maybe top 10?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT