ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State wants to trademark "Happy Valley"

Not sure how they can trademark the name. IIRC it’s the name of a famous race track in Hong Kong as well as a town in Oregon and a British tv series.

did you know that or look that up??

I knew there was a racetrack there, I didn't know about the euphemism for cemeteries part.

If PSU accomplishes this, would you expect them to monetize this by going after the dozens of local businesses that use "Happy Valley" in their names, or would that even be possible? Legal eagles care to chime in?

Trademarks are what they are. Different levels to them. It’s not worth a lot to a little business. When a big business wants to use your trademark. They will just pressure you and force you into signing agreement. Or will bankrupt you in attorney fees. Fighting for what’s already yours.

Reactions: cment
Will PSU sue Terry Toons (early 50s cartoon) that included a Happy Valley?

What next, Clemson and LSU suing each other (and California) over Death Valley?

Does the greed of this University have any limit? And who's to say it's not in reference to the entire valley, not just Penn State only because it happens to be where it's located.

I knew there was a racetrack there, I didn't know about the euphemism for cemeteries part.

If PSU accomplishes this, would you expect them to monetize this by going after the dozens of local businesses that use "Happy Valley" in their names, or would that even be possible? Legal eagles care to chime in?
PSU has a long way to go in order to register that trademark. Seems like the most obvious hurdle to Penn State in claiming that trademark is that the term "Happy Valley" describes the vicinity within which PSU is located, rather than PSU itself. Is that not correct? Geographic names (e.g., "State College Liquors") and descriptive names (e.g., "Blue and White Liquors") are harder to trademark than wholly unique names (e.g., "Xerox").

I would also guess that several different parties might file an Opposition to PSU's trademark application, claiming rights of their own in that name. This is not my area of the law, but I DO know that trademark rights arise primarily from prior use in commerce, not registration. So, even if PSU was able to procure federal trademark registration of the name "Happy Valley," other businesses or municipalities who have already been using the name may well be unaffected by PSU's registration of that trademark.

The other aspect of this is how broad PSU's claim of trademark rights will be. That would be indicated in its trademark application. They would surely claim the trademark for operation of a university, and for sports and sports merchandising purposes, but if the operator of a hotel or restaurant in State College (or elsewhere) wanted to use "Happy Valley" as part of its business name, it would probably be difficult for PSU to stop them, even if they got a registration. The issue there is generally whether the use of that name in an unrelated business does or does not give rise to "a likelihood of confusion" among customers as to who is operating the business in question.

Perhaps there is a trademark lawyer on this Board who might be able to chime in.

Last edited:
I can’t believe the other party that had the trademark simply allowed it to lapse without first approaching The University. Sounds like a slam dunk that you could have sold the trademark and extracted a handsome piece of coin.
They let it lapse because its unenforceable.

If I'm the owner of Happy Valley Brewery, I'm on the phone with my attorney ASAP.
There's also a Happy Valley Sports bar near me in NEPA that's very popular. CJF actually stopped by earlier this year when he was in area for some eats.

Yeah, they are probably no longer using it in connection with the operation of any business.
Do you do any trademark law, Pard?
Just enough to know that a trademark on an already widely-used name for a geographic area is next to useless.

Reactions: mn78psu83
They let it lapse because its unenforceable.

Yes, I was actually thinking domain name and responding trademark so crossed it up in my feeble mind. I remember the rush to purchase domain names and even a domain name that was actually a misspelling but one that could be easily enterered without realizing it.

PSU has a long way to go in order to register that trademark. Seems like the most obvious hurdle to Penn State in claiming that trademark is that the term "Happy Valley" describes the vicinity within which PSU is located, rather than PSU itself. Is that not correct? Geographic names (e.g., "State College Liquors") and descriptive names (e.g., "Blue and White Liquors") are harder to trademark than wholly unique names (e.g., "Xerox").

I would also guess that several different parties might file an Opposition to PSU's trademark application, claiming rights of their own in that name. This is not my area of the law, but I DO know that trademark rights arise primarily from prior use in commerce, not registration. So, even if PSU was able to procure federal trademark registration of the name "Happy Valley," other businesses or municipalities who have already been using the name may well be unaffected by PSU's registration of that trademark.

The other aspect of this is how broad PSU's claim of trademark rights will be. That would be indicated in its trademark application. They would surely claim the trademark for operation of a university, and for sports and sports merchandising purposes, but if the operator of a hotel or restaurant in State College (or elsewhere) wanted to use "Happy Valley" as part of its business name, it would probably be difficult for PSU to stop them, even if they got a registration. The issue there is generally whether the use of that name in an unrelated business does or does not give rise to "a likelihood of confusion" among customers as to who is operating the business in question.

Perhaps there is a trademark lawyer on this Board who might be able to chime in.

Sent the request to my son who is a PSU grad and an attorney. Not in this field anymore but studied it extensively in law school.

Well....... they ever-growing number of suits populating Penn State’s Office of Legal Counsel can’t sit around jerking each other off all day forever.

Since the expenses of the office are a sunk cost anyway.... probably better to have them occupied by something completely useless and inert - like this - rather than to involve themselves in something that would cause significant damage.

Hold on there, Norm You damn well know that those suits are going to farm all the legal work regarding this to outside firms.

Reactions: stormingnorm

They filed a claim for generic use on hats, shirts, and sweatshirts - nothing about it being limited to university or sports usage.

I admit I don't know anything about trademark law. That said, to me it always seemed "Happy Valley" was a term applied to the entire State College area and not just Penn State. And it was never a term used specifically for Beaver Stadium. In addition to all that, to the best of my knowledge "Happy Valley" didn't originate in the the Penn State marketing department. It grew organically and has been around since at least the 1970s, probably longer.

With the above in mind, how can PSU make a claim that "Happy Valley" should be owned by the university? Maybe Pitt should trademark "Oakland". It would make as much sense.

With the above in mind, how can PSU make a claim that "Happy Valley" should be owned by the university?

How? Scummy lawyers. It's the equivalent of throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks. If it is somehow granted, then bully people to pay for using it.

That said, I have absolutely no clue how this concept did not get thrown out of the trademark office InBox. It seems to be as absurd as trademarking the letter "e" as the one poster above suggested.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sent the request to my son who is a PSU grad and an attorney. Not in this field anymore but studied it extensively in law school.

My son responded. Pasted below.
That’s interesting. They may have a hard time establishing ownership, but they would have an interest in protecting the mark from uses that could tarnish Penn State’s name since Happy Valley is associated with the Penn State brand.

I took a look at the US Patent and Trademark database. There were 37 registrations that involved “Happy Valley”, including Penn State’s filing. I would say about five of them were Penn State-related, but they were abandoned.

I will be curious to see how this progresses.

State college for one should should not allow psu to trademark happy valley

They should have trademarked “we are” years ago. Now everyone says we are

How? Scummy lawyers. It's the equivalent of throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks. If it is somehow granted, then bully people to pay for using it.

That said, I have absolutely no clue how this concept did not get thrown out of the trademark office InBox. It seems to be as absurd as trademarking the letter "e" as the one poster above suggested.

MGM trademarked the sound of the lion roar. So absurd trademarking is nothing new.

ADVERTISEMENT