ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Purdue predictions

Purdue won’t score 24 points on PSU’s defense.

PSU 20
Purdue 17
I like to think you are correct. And they lost their two best WRs. but....

They scored 48 on Tenn in the bowl, and 40 on Sparty last year. They beat Iowa 24-7.

This is a good team.

PSU will have to get to the Purdue QB - he's one of the top 5 or 6 in the country and will be a high NFL draft pick when he comes out. If that happens,

PSU 38 - Purdue 24
Like Clifford, the Purdue QB is a sixth year player. Both QBs bring lots of experience with the Purdue QB, in the eyes of pro scouts, being more "polished" and a pro prospect. I simply want to see the PSU lines play well, Clifford not be overly anxious and begin to make overthrows, or have to run alot. He has to settle down for the offense to be successful.

Last edited:
Easy to predict: NNNNNCAC response
PENN STATE LOSS
This loss is entirely on the coaching staff. James Franklin is the Antichrist. Fire him now.....we deserve better.
PENN STATE WIN
This was a pitiful performance given the superior roster and resources PSU possesses in comparison to Purdue.
Franklin outcoached again.....lucky to escape with a questionable win. Fire him now......we deserve better.

Last year Bell and Wright were about 50-60% of their passing attack; they are both gone this year. Has to be a major plus for PSU.

They scored 48 on Tenn in the bowl, and 40 on Sparty last year.

Tennessee defense was not good last year. They spent 40 minutes a game on the field because of the offense.

Sparty defense also couldn't defend the pass. Lucky us, we get them in the snow.

Not saying Purdue isn't a good team, but I wouldn't use the Tennessee game as the barometer. (Also think something iffy happened at the end, UT fans were upset, but they were throwing shit at Ole Miss during a home game so that's just maybe their fan base).

I like your analysis. I think we come out with something to prove. I think the name Nick Singleton will be known better by Saturday September 3rd morning.

Reactions: Obliviax
Tennessee defense was not good last year. They spent 40 minutes a game on the field because of the offense.

Sparty defense also couldn't defend the pass. Lucky us, we get them in the snow.

Not saying Purdue isn't a good team, but I wouldn't use the Tennessee game as the barometer. (Also think something iffy happened at the end, UT fans were upset, but they were throwing shit at Ole Miss during a home game so that's just maybe their fan base).

I like your analysis. I think we come out with something to prove. I think the name Nick Singleton will be known better by Saturday September 3rd morning.
Agreed on Singleton. Nothing else.

Ever notice how the NNNNNCAC gets all moist over players that have not yet played for us or coaches that don't coach here?
Why is that?

It’s gonna take two days to know him better? Why not Friday morning? ;)

Last year Bell and Wright were about 50-60% of their passing attack; they are both gone this year. Has to be a major plus for PSU.
They did receive two PORTAL WRs, one of them was a very accomplished kick returner from Iowa, so that could factor in.

They did receive two PORTAL WRs, one of them was a very accomplished kick returner from Iowa, so that could factor in.
Tracy and Jones, yep. There are some positions that you can step in and contribute right away. AE was athletic freak who could just go after QB. I don't think WR is one of those positions. Tinsley looks great but I still think O will move via Washington and Smith. Tinsley will be deep ball push but third on team in receptions, I imagine

This tell us something too. Not too worried

"Purdue was the only Power Five football program to offer Tracy when he announced his departure from Iowa. Tracy garnered offers from Houston, Eastern Illinois, Miami (Ohio), Hawaii, and Purdue."

I wouldn't be surprised if Purdue scores 24 points against PSU in the first half.
well, that would be an awful start for Manny Diaz. I suspect we play a lot of man, thinking our DBs can stay with Purdue's inexperienced but talented WR group. That will give the D an opportunity to blitz and stunt a lot. Pudue counters with a quick passing game and tries to establish a running game. They got the B1Gs return man of the year via Xfer from Iowa but there is a reason why he xfered. Regardless, he brings a deep threat.

As usual, it will come down to who owns the LOS. Can Purdue pass/run block? Can PSU finally mount a rushing attack?

well, that would be an awful start for Manny Diaz. I suspect we play a lot of man, thinking our DBs can stay with Purdue's inexperienced but talented WR group. That will give the D an opportunity to blitz and stunt a lot. Pudue counters with a quick passing game and tries to establish a running game. They got the B1Gs return man of the year via Xfer from Iowa but there is a reason why he xfered. Regardless, he brings a deep threat.

As usual, it will come down to who owns the LOS. Can Purdue pass/run block? Can PSU finally mount a rushing attack?
I don't expect Purdue to score 24 points in the first half, but considering that PSU lost its best defensive end last season and apparently is weak at linebacker, I easily could see the defense melting as the game proceeds, especially if the offense can't control the ball with the running game, and who in their right mind really expects that to happen.

Also, despite what I hear about how good this secondary is going to be, we all know that any secondary only can be expected to cover for so many seconds without being picked apart; a secondary only can be elite if the first two levels are good, and especially the first layer.

Purdue under their current head coach has been very unpredictable. When they've been good, like when they beat OSU several years ago and Iowa on the road last season, they look like a Top 15 to 20 team, but then they fall back into mediocrity. That win against OSU was in a night game like the PSU game is going to be, so I would expect that Purdue will play more like they did in that game than in their mediocre performances.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't expect Purdue to score 24 points in the first half, but considering that PSU lost its best defensive end last season and apparently is weak at linebacker, I easily could see the defense melting as the game proceeds, especially if the offense can't control the ball with the running game, and who in their right mind really expects that to happen.

Also, despite what I hear about how good this secondary is going to be, we all know that any secondary only can be expected to cover for so many seconds without being picked apart; a secondary only can be elite if the first two levels are good, and especially the first layer.

Purdue under their current head coach has been very unpredictable. When they've been good, like when they beat OSU several years ago and Iowa on the road last season, they look like a Top 15 to 20 team, but then they fall back into mediocrity. That win against OSU was in a night game like the PSU game is going to be, so I would expect that Purdue will play more like they did in that game than in their mediocre performances.
Or they could play like they did that very same year vs Auburn (63-14). You're right, tough to predict.

I wouldn't be surprised if Purdue scores 24 points against PSU in the first half.

Oh c'mon..OSU scored 17 in first half. I think that was worst 1st half performance. Porter, Brown, Hardy, King, Keaton-Ellis, Reed, Wheatley are not exactly chopped meat That is alot of athleticism and experience, particularly if Porter has disciplined himself. It is probably best group PU will see this year. Sutherland is basically coverage LB too. If they get 24 then PSU probably turned ball over several times deep in territory

I expect a close game since this a night game on the road w/sold out stadium. If PSU can mount a credible running attack which opens up play action passing, they win. If not, will be difficult to keep defense fresh and could start off with an "L".

I am terrible @ score predictions. Will leave that to others.
Im very interested in getting realistic takes from non fan boys, as I am not one.. I love Purdue but ever since I oversold the 05 season when we had 22 starters back and went 5-6, I’m more interested in predicting things to a t. I have us at 8-4 with at least a 4 point loss in this game.

our major concerns are:

pass rush. We have four guys back on the DL.. the problem is, George karlaftis would get tripled last year and if any of them got home, it looked like it took half an hour on a coverage sack.

I believe the 85 limit is the best friend of schools like Purdue. The days of Jim tressel not being nearly as innovative as joe tiller but busting Purdue because he’s rotating 3 guys at every position are over. Purdue has 10-12 DL who can play right now, which has always been true at places like penn state, but can any one of them get a burst and generate pressure. See LB concern for why it’s going to be very bad if Purdue can’t and Clifford can either Pat the ball or if we have to blitz to get pressure.

> WRs; no established big time playmaker and many are new/communication - Purdue shredded Tennessee in the bowl game without Wright and bell, but they were the 122nd pass defense.

Charlie Jones, the all big ten returner from Iowa who had the misfortune of trying to be a WR with Brian ferentz and Spencer petras will take over for wright. TJ sheffield returns in the slot. Broc Thompson who showed out in the bowl game but had both legs operated in the off-season takes over for bell. Tyrone Tracy will be used often like Jackson anthrop was last year. Again.. 589 yards with Nathan Stanley at iowa 3 years ago, Jack shit with petras cause petras isn’t much better than my dad.

Oconnell is all American good. But he won’t look like it if receivers are off in timing or communication.

> right side of the offensive line - Marcus Mbow is the new starting RG after appearing in four games last year and better than OL we typically get. Mahamane Moussa is similar as an athletic OT off the bench (RS freshman who played well in four games last year). The mystery is cam Craig the starting RT. That’s always been the desire but each year Craig has ended up having to just play some guard. Is that the case this year? Cause maybe that side of the line gets collapsed and coaches end up having to shuffle Mbow and moussa.

also the OL as a whole hasn’t opened the year getting good push in the run game since 2018. It’s thought that this year they will. They all look like men for the first time since 18 (more so, and better players). If they can’t, I don’t like a one dimensional Purdue team.

> LB - Purdue’s best player on defense is S/LB Jalen Graham. However, MLB and WLB are both slow for MLBs but huge hitters. None of the WLBs like OC Brothers and Clyde Washington appear to be ready. So the coaches took Semisi fakasiieki.. who would have started at MLB over Kieran Douglas last year before blowing out a knee.. and have moved him to WLB…

two things. 1) if we don’t rush the passer, those guys won’t cover the pass well in space. 2) even still.. how does semisi stay with your backs on a speed run to the outside.

Best players/dangerous players on each side:

QB Aidan Oconnell
TE Payne Durham
WR Broc Thompson
C Gus Hartwig

S/OLB Jalen Graham
FS Cam Allen
3T Branson Deen
CB Cory Trice

I’d like a similar scout from you guys. Four questions … key players.

I predict 31-27 penn state If both teams bring their A games because I believe Purdue’s A game in week one doesn’t include either of the first two questions getting answered in outstanding fashion.

if either team doesn’t play well it could get ugly either way. Purdue can’t make mistakes in this game but neither can penn state.

Last edited:
Or they could play like they did that very same year vs Auburn (63-14). You're right, tough to predict.
Those were Darrell hazell recruits and guys brohm had to take last minute. Go back and analyze the careers of freaking Giovanni Reviere and Kai Higgins and tell me if you see any players like that on Jeff brohms bench.

that said If Purdue doesn’t play well it’s gonna be ugly and despite oconnells best efforts he will end up looking like Wisconsin last year prompting Aidan who? From you fan base.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
Players to watch:

If you hear any of these names being talked about by announcers as playing as well as Graham or Oconnell it’s not good for PSU

Charlie Jones
Eric Miller
TJ sheffield
Cam Craig
Jack Sullivan
khordae sydnor
Nic caraway

OC Brothers

you guys need all these guys to not show up/not play big time for you to just cruise to a 4+ victory.

fwiw if this was a penn state white out late in the year or Oconnell didn’t come back we’d lose by 17

30-20 good guys. My main concern is our LBs. Never underestimate the effect of running a fake punt on our own 30 or some half baked play on 4th and 5 at midfield early in the game to set the team back. Secondary should be able to hold their own with just about anybody if even a moderate pass rush.

Most believe that PSU's offensive line has been weak for years, especially run blocking. But yet in 2019 the last time these teams played, PSU beat Purdue 35-7 outscoring them 21-zip in the 1st quarter and essentially locking up the game after 15 minutes of play. PSU gained 264 yards on the ground to Purdue's -19, obviously due to some sacks. How about 10 sacks, led by YGM and Toney. How many sacks are Isaac, Robinson, DDS and the rest of PSU's defense going to get in this year's game? Likely not 10. But likely enough to get the Purdue QB dancing and throwing some bad balls.

Oh, and PSU outgained Purdue 460 to 104 in total yards. The score could have easily been a shutout as I believe Purdue only scored after a PSU turnover and due to a couple big plays from their WR's one of which was by Bell. Levis came into the game and threw 7 passes and was generally terrible, including a fumble, preventing PSU from adding to the score. Purdue even won the turnover battle 3-1 as they only lost 1 fumble and PSU lost 2 fumbles along with a Clifford pick.

Sure, Purdue has a top QB this season. Yes, and 2019 was Clifford's first season as a starter. But other than the QB matchup does anyone here really believe there is a position on the field where Purdue will field as talented a player as PSU will field? One of the LB's maybe.

The disparity of talent is across the board, other than possibly at QB, which is the most important position on the field. Hamler and Dotson had big plays for PSU in 2019, and the PSU WR's will likely do the same this season.

The 2019 game was at Beaver Stadium, so Purdue will get some adrenalin from the crowd. But as long as PSU does not lose the turnover battle too bad I can't see a PSU loss to Purdue.

Reactions: christoph
Most believe that PSU's offensive line has been weak for years, especially run blocking. But yet in 2019 the last time these teams played, PSU beat Purdue 35-7 outscoring them 21-zip in the 1st quarter and essentially locking up the game after 15 minutes of play. PSU gained 264 yards on the ground to Purdue's -19, obviously due to some sacks. How about 10 sacks, led by YGM and Toney. How many sacks are Isaac, Robinson, DDS and the rest of PSU's defense going to get in this year's game? Likely not 10. But likely enough to get the Purdue QB dancing and throwing some bad balls.

Oh, and PSU outgained Purdue 460 to 104 in total yards. The score could have easily been a shutout as I believe Purdue only scored after a PSU turnover and due to a couple big plays from their WR's one of which was by Bell. Levis came into the game and threw 7 passes and was generally terrible, including a fumble, preventing PSU from adding to the score. Purdue even won the turnover battle 3-1 as they only lost 1 fumble and PSU lost 2 fumbles along with a Clifford pick.

Sure, Purdue has a top QB this season. Yes, and 2019 was Clifford's first season as a starter. But other than the QB matchup does anyone here really believe there is a position on the field where Purdue will field as talented a player as PSU will field? One of the LB's maybe.

The disparity of talent is across the board, other than possibly at QB, which is the most important position on the field. Hamler and Dotson had big plays for PSU in 2019, and the PSU WR's will likely do the same this season.

The 2019 game was at Beaver Stadium, so Purdue will get some adrenalin from the crowd. But as long as PSU does not lose the turnover battle too bad I can't see a PSU loss to Purdue.

See u September 2nd. Your post above has been saved.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
O! M! G! The battle lines have been drawn!

Battle stations! Battle Stations!

Man your battle stations!

Raise the draw bridges.

Boil the oil!
Delco is in the position of told you so if they lose, but if PSU wins he can say PSU should win. Tough stance to take knowing he can’t lose.
You saved it. Wow that is intimidating. I have PSU by 6, but won’t bet on it. The line is a PSU line, but staying away because of too many unknowns. I would still like to know how much you put on the game since it is a Purdue lock. You never told me. Pitt is a 6.5 point favorite over hapless WVU. What is your prediction there?

Delco is in the position of told you so if they lose, but if PSU wins he can say PSU should win. Tough stance to take knowing he can’t lose.

You saved it. Wow that is intimidating. I have PSU by 6, but won’t bet on it. The line is a PSU line, but staying away because of too many unknowns. I would still like to know how much you put on the game since it is a Purdue lock. You never told me. Pitt is a 6.5 point favorite over hapless WVU. What is your prediction there?
He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to football.

Purdue beat down two teams that were quite a bit better than we were last year in Iowa and Michigan State. Let that sink in. One instance is an anomaly, two is a trend. Now, que up the trolls who will say we dominated Iowa before Cliff got hurt, Cliff's injury's didn't matter. Iowa played us to a draw before Cliff's injury matter and all the metrics pointed in Iowa's direction. Deal with it.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
You'll see me. Win or lose. Upsets can happen, usually due to turnovers. But if these two teams played 10 times PSU would likely win at least 8 or 9. The talent disparity is obvious to the casualest observer with the meagerest of reasoning mean.

In stead of finding anything to disprove in my post, you seem to be pouting. You can put my post under your pillow and sleep on it. Maybe the tooth fairy is an actual PSU fan and will be good to you.

Your attitude is like that of a pitt fan, but the opposite if you really are a PSU fan. Pitt fans are euphoric and irrational in their optimism for teams that most years are lucky to have one or two potential NFL players. This year PSU has a good many player that will end up in the NFL yet you believe the sky is falling against Purdue that doesn't even have the talent of Pitt. Anything can happen, but that point of view is irrational.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
ac4.png

You'll see me. Win or lose. Upsets can happen, usually due to turnovers. But if these two teams played 10 times PSU would likely win at least 8 or 9. The talent disparity is obvious to the casualest observer with the meagerest of reasoning mean.

In stead of finding anything to disprove in my post, you seem to be pouting. You can put my post under your pillow and sleep on it. Maybe the tooth fairy is an actual PSU fan and will be good to you.

Your attitude is like that of a pitt fan, but the opposite if you really are a PSU fan. Pitt fans are euphoric and irrational in their optimism for teams that most years are lucky to have one or two potential NFL players. This year PSU has a good many player that will end up in the NFL yet you believe the sky is falling against Purdue that doesn't even have the talent of Pitt. Anything can happen, but that point of view is irrational.
See you September 2nd. Don't pull a Marshall and vanish.

• Haha
PSU 34 - PU 27.......

Purdue will score on just about everyone.....I am counting on our DBs and pass rush to cause some turnovers.

I believe that we will be able to run (I'm being serious) on Purdue and force them to cover some pretty good WRs in 1 on 1 situations.
I think Clifford needs 50 yds running

See you September 2nd. Don't pull a Marshall and vanish.
Anything can happen, as I already said.

But why cry ahead of time? About as immature strategy as there is for an actual fan.

Even a crier like you realizes that PSU has a big talent advantage. Which is why your crying got old quickly.

I've been here after every loss and every win for long time. Regardless of the criers that feel the need to do their crying before the game even begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
Anything can happen, as I already said.

But why cry ahead of time? About as immature strategy as there is for an actual fan.

Even a crier like you realizes that PSU has a big talent advantage. Which is why your crying got old quickly.

I've been here after every loss and every win for long time. Regardless of the criers that feel the need to do their crying before the game even begins.
You didn't say anything could happen. You called for a psu win. It's comical how you are ALREADY walking it back in literally just a day lol. Don't vanish.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT