ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Lehigh

y'all are so sensitive. just pointing out that transfers have come back and beaten psu guys, so the 100% confidence that dean is going to crush a guy who he beat on a last second takedown during a wrestle off (reportedly) is a little premature.
Not sensitive to anything but weakly bolstered faulty premises. Not sure who purports to be 100% confident of a crushing.

Totally ridiculous to assert the performance of different wrestlers in prior years having any relevance to this match up.

I agree Max Dean vs Michael Beard should be a competitive match. I am looking forward to the rematch at the NCAA finals ... assuming they actually wrestle one another at Lehigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
If Cael couldn't improve Beard's cardiovascular deficiency, I doubt the Lehigh staff will be able to fix it, either. I would not be surprised to see some regression there, actually.

I imagine that Dean will continue to grow into the weight this year; he looked smaller than everyone he wrestled.

I could see Beard being up 6-3, 6-5 going into the third period and then completely falling apart. Based on what we've seen with him in the past, and what we've seen from Dean, I would be very surprised if this is NOT the case.
I agree that Beard's gas tank will likely shrink. I am also wondering if he has enough Penn State in him to not eventually wrestle in reverse.

I doubt going into the third that Beard is up by anything, but if he is it will be by a single point. Beard will not win the third period against Dean.

ole GIF
I heard from a Lehigh fan that circling the edge of the mat is a good way to conserve energy.

Reactions: Ski and 7brwnpsu
Just going to point something out. Mike transfered to Lehigh not because he was told he would not be allowed to earn the starting 197 position. He transfered because he is aware that as long as Dean is here he (Mike) was not going to be able to win the starting position.

The chances Dean makes his third NCAA championship are fairly high.

I have yet to see something from Michael that makes me believe his chances of making a final are anything greater than minimal. I also have yet to see anything from Lehigh wrestling that would make me believe Lehigh's staff will help him find whatever Cael, Casey and Jake could not help him find.

Just going to point something out. Mike transfered to Lehigh not because he was told he would not be allowed to earn the starting 197 position. He transfered because he is aware that as long as Dean is here he (Mike) was not going to be able to win the starting position.

The chances Dean makes his third NCAA championship are fairly high.

I have yet to see something from Michael that makes me believe his chances of making a final are anything greater than minimal. I also have yet to see anything from Lehigh wrestling that would make me believe Lehigh's staff will help him find whatever Cael, Casey and Jake could not help him find.
I think you’re minimizing Beard’s potential. He’s a very gifted wrestler. Should’ve beaten Schultz last year. The NCAA tournament certainly rewards those with good gas tanks though, and obviously that’s where he has needed the most growth.

I would definitely favor Dean in March, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Beard takes the dual.

I think you’re minimizing Beard’s potential. He’s a very gifted wrestler. Should’ve beaten Schultz last year. The NCAA tournament certainly rewards those with good gas tanks though, and obviously that’s where he has needed the most growth.

I would definitely favor Dean in March, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Beard takes the dual.
I am not minimizing anything. I am just tired of the effort to exaggerate the level of the loss of Michael to the point the respect given to Dean is minimized.
Reiterating, Michael left not because he was not being afforded the opportunity to start, but rather because all evidence available to Michael tells him he wasn't going to be able to win that spot. That is huge.

I would expect Michael to come out with the same energy he had against Hoffman, but the difference is he will not be wrestling Hoffman.
Michael could not beat Max in the room without the staff preparing Max. The staff knows Michael's weaknesses and will prepare Max accordingly.

No matter how focused and ready to go Micheal is for the dual, he still has to wrestle the 7th minute.
Should have beaten Schultz? Should have beaten Amine. Could have beaten the Oklahoma kid in the QFs. Could have beaten the Missouri kid at the Scuffle. Has Michael ever won that 7th minute and beaten anybody close to being as good as Dean?

Last edited:
I am not minimizing anything. I am just tired of the effort to exaggerate the level of the loss of Michael to the point the respect given to Dean is minimized.
Reiterating, Michael left not because he was not being afforded the opportunity to start, but rather because all evidence available to Michael tells him he wasn't going to be able to win that spot. That is huge.

I would expect Michael to come out with the same energy he had against Hoffman, but the difference is he will not be wrestling Hoffman.
Michael could not beat Max in the room without the staff preparing Max. The staff knows Michael's weaknesses and will prepare Max accordingly.

No matter how focused and ready to go Macheal is for the dual, he still has to wrestle the 7th minute.
Should have beaten Schultz? Should have beaten Amine. Could have beaten the Oklahoma kid in the QFs. Could have beaten the Missouri kid at the Scuffle. Has Michael ever won that 7th minute and beaten anybody close to being as good as Dean?
Beard did beat Cam Caffey(Ranked #10 on Wrestlestat & beat Max Dean) , Owen Pentz (Ranked #16 on Wrestlestat) , Tanner Sloan (Ranked #12 on Wrestlestat) , and Stephen Buchanan (Ranked #2 on Wrestlestat) by either Decision or Major Decision going to the 7th minute. I am not sure I see your point.

Just remember your narrative of should have and/or could have, is just that, a narrative to fit your own argument. Let us not forget that Dean did not have an exceptional bonus rate against 197 lbers (whether he was a full 197 or not). He had close matches with the top dogs, and probably gave most of us, if not all of us, heart palpitations at NCAAs. Michael went down to the wire with the 2022 NCAA champion

Last edited:
Beard did beat Cam Caffey(Ranked #10 on Wrestlestat & beat Max Dean) , Owen Pentz (Ranked #16 on Wrestlestat) , Tanner Sloan (Ranked #12 on Wrestlestat) , and Stephen Buchanan (Ranked #2 on Wrestlestat) by either Decision or Major Decision going to the 7th minute. I am not sure I see your point.

Just remember your narrative of should have and/or could have, is just that, a narrative to fit your own argument. Let us not forget that Dean did not have an exceptional bonus rate against 197 lbers (whether he was a full 197 or not). He had close matches with the top dogs, and probably gave most of us, if not all of us, heart palpitations at NCAAs. Michael went down to the wire with the 2021 NCAA champion
He wrestled AJ Ferrari close?

No matter how focused and ready to go Macheal is for the dual, he still has to wrestle the 7th minute.
Don't confuse BWI (or whatever we're calling this board now) with HR. I don't think anyone here is confused why Michael left or making the arguments you seem to be pushing back against.

Reactions: nerfstate
Bubba went to ASU after he got kicked off the PSU team, but I'm sure you already knew that.
No, i didn’t know he got kicked off the team… I thought he transferred out bc D. Taylor transferred in(decommitted from ISU to follow Cael) and was going to win the starting spot

LOL bringing in AJ like that should be noteworthy. AJ wrestled 10 matches last year and beat Buchanan 4-2 Dec. Again stick to the facts and not the should have, could have, would haves....
The fact is the 2021 champ at 197 is AJ Ferrari, and that was the point of the question.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Don't confuse BWI (or whatever we're calling this board now) with HR. I don't think anyone here is confused why Michael left or making the arguments you seem to be pushing back against.
I have no idea where the HR BWI comparison came from but whatever.
I am sure most are aware of why Beard transfered to Lehigh, but from a critical thinking perspective this board has had more than just a couple who want to dismiss the obvious.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
LOL bringing in AJ like that should be noteworthy. AJ wrestled 10 matches last year and beat Buchanan 4-2 Dec. Again stick to the facts and not the should have, could have, would haves....
It was your choice to type that he went down to the wire with a guy he didn’t even wrestle, but don’t let that stop you from critiquing my post.

I don't know what all the discussion is about, we have the strongest data point possible already in evidence. They competed head to head for the slot and Dean won, and we all saw the ultimate results.

I think we all have a soft spot for Micheal and wish him the very best. The kid is a stud and a great teammate. He has acted with the utmost class through this whole situation. A runner up finish at nationals would be quite an accomplishment, and we will all cheer him all the way until we are head to head.

Might he have extra motivation to take out Max, absolutely. Is Max going to be one year stronger, probably a little bigger, better conditioned and coached? All are pretty much guaranteed.

My money is squarely on Max, but I will be cheering Michael on with all other comers.

PS - especially Warner ;-)

Just remember your narrative of should have and/or could have, is just that, a narrative to fit your own argument. Let us not forget that Dean did not have an exceptional bonus rate against 197 lbers (whether he was a full 197 or not). He had close matches with the top dogs, and probably gave most of us, if not all of us, heart palpitations at NCAAs. Michael went down to the wire with the 2021 NCAA champion
I am not continuing on a beat down of Beard to make the point. If you do not understand the 7th minute point, oh well.

Assuming good health to everybody, Dean making a 3rd finals is highly likely. Him meeting Beard for the championship is possible, but highly unlikely.

Dean not winning in the dual matchup is a possibility, but from a probability viewpoint not likely.

Nobody has an exceptional bonus rate at 197.
Edit...
Other than Bo Nickal lol.

Reactions: nitlion6
I don't know what all the discussion is about, we have the strongest data point possible already in evidence. They competed head to head for the slot and Dean won, and we all saw the ultimate results.

I think we all have a soft spot for Micheal and wish him the very best. The kid is a stud and a great teammate. He has acted with the utmost class through this whole situation. A runner up finish at nationals would be quite an accomplishment, and we will all cheer him all the way until we are head to head.

Might he have extra motivation to take out Max, absolutely. Is Max going to be one year stronger, probably a little bigger, better conditioned and coached? All are pretty much guaranteed.

My money is squarely on Max, but I will be cheering Michael on with all other comers.

PS - especially Warner ;-)
Forget it. No chance TnT risks the seed. Warner won't wrestle in that dual meet.

If the dual is still in reach and Warner is healthy I’d be shocked if TnT sat Warner
I'm not sure where this "TnT will sit guys" thing comes from. They certainly don't do that for PSU duals.

Nobody has an exceptional bonus rate at 197.
Edit...
Other than Bo Nickal lol.

2022:

NCAA Stat Leaders - Falls
Division I
RankNameSchoolWeightFallsTime
1King SandovalMaryland1331326:07
2Owen PentzNorth Dakota St.1971124:12

Reactions: ss7
I'm not sure where this "TnT will sit guys" thing comes from. They certainly don't do that for PSU duals.
It comes from the fact that they do sit guys. However, you are right. They do not sit guys against PSU and there is almost zero chance they sit Warner against Dean.

Other than to avoid an ass whooping I am unaware of the need to sit Teske. Teske isn't looking for a top tier seed that is at risk. A stunning upset of RBY would be a seeding bump though.

Close losses don’t mean dick
You’re right, of course. But just so we’re clear, when I said “should’ve beaten Schultz,” I wasn’t talking about Beard fading late. I was talking about competent refereeing being the difference maker. I’m still high on Beard, but I’m also still happy we have our guy—he’s a defending champ, fer cryin out loud.

2022:

NCAA Stat Leaders - Falls
Division I
RankNameSchoolWeightFallsTime
1King SandovalMaryland1331326:07
2Owen PentzNorth Dakota St.1971124:12
Look who majored that kid…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT