ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State updates roster, includes notable changes

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
The Nittany Lions released their latest roster on Monday afternoon and it included some significant changes.

And handful of players had eligibility remaining but will either continue their careers elsewhere or pursue other options:

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
The Nittany Lions released their latest roster on Monday afternoon and it included some significant changes.

And handful of players had eligibility remaining but will either continue their careers elsewhere or pursue other options:

Damn I was hoping Miranda would stick around. We needed some leadership on that line next year. The rest on that list were all expendable. Franklin better start closing the deal on some portal OL or we are in BIG Sh*T next year with the current crop we have on the roster.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Damn I was hoping Miranda would stick around. We needed some leadership on that line next year. The rest on that list were all expendable. Franklin better start closing the deal on some portal OL or we are in BIG Sh*T next year with the current crop we have on the roster.
Yep, but we need leadership by example. An olinemen that knocks the dlinemen across from him on his ass more often than not. And Miranda can't provide that type of leadership.

A player like Tengwall, if he is what we think he is, will quickly become a leader when he kicks ass on the field of battle!!!

Seniority is over rated. Put more talent on the field, and the results will be better and leaders of a better oline will emerge.

Something else noticeable was the size of Dinkens. 6'4, but only 226 lbs. About 25-30 lbs of muscle short of true TE size. Dinkens was a terror in H.S. at LB, playing both ways. I'm hoping he has a change of heart and practices this Spring at LB, as his athleticism and size could make him a difference maker at LB in 2022 and thereafter. Whereas he'll be lucky to get garbage time snaps at TE in 2022....

And then the 2 WR's that are departing. George couldn't seem to get on the field and make a play even thought he seemed to have the size and speed. And CSB seemed to be sure handed but as I remember the last few plays he was targeted were bombs where he wasn't open. Lots of young WR's will continue to compete to get on the field with Washington, KLS, Tinsley, Meiga, and I believe Saunders.

Last edited:
Yep, but we need leadership by example. An olinemen that more often than not knocks the dlinemen across from him on his ass more often than not. And Miranda can't provide that type of leadership.

A player like Tengwall, if he is what we think he is, will quickly become a leader when he kicks ass on the field of battle!!!

Seniority if over rated. Put more talent on the field, and the results will be better and leaders of a better oline will emerge.

Something else noticeable was the size of Dinkens. 6'4, but only 226 lbs. About 25-30 lbs of muscle short of true TE size. Dinkens was a terror in H.S. at LB, playing both ways. I'm hoping he has a change of heart and practices this Spring at LB, as his athleticism and size could make him a difference maker at LB in 2022, whereas he'll be lucky to get garbage time snaps at TE in 2022....
I agree. Frankly, I don’t see any on that list that I would describe as a big loss.

BS

The current crop is made up of 4* recruits.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Yep, but we need leadership by example. An olinemen that knocks the dlinemen across from him on his ass more often than not. And Miranda can't provide that type of leadership.

Seniority is over rated. Put more talent on the field, and the results will be better and leaders of a better oline will emerge.

Something else noticeable was the size of Dinkens. 6'4, but only 226 lbs. About 25-30 lbs of muscle short of true TE size. Dinkens was a terror in H.S. at LB, playing both ways. I'm hoping he has a change of heart and practices this Spring at LB, as his athleticism and size could make him a difference maker at LB in 2022 and thereafter. Whereas he'll be lucky to get garbage time snaps at TE in 2022....

And then the 2 WR's that are departing. George couldn't seem to get on the field and make a play even thought he seemed to have the size and speed. And CSB seemed to be sure handed but as I remember the last few plays he was targeted were bombs where he wasn't open. Lots of young WR's will continue to compete to get on the field with Washington, KLS, Tinsley, Meiga, and I believe Saunders.
A possible FYI……another board said none of the weights of returning players has changed since the fall so Dinkins probably isn’t 226 still. Although I like the thought of him moving to LB if all 3 TE come back next year.

A possible FYI……another board said none of the weights of returning players has changed since the fall so Dinkins probably isn’t 226 still. Although I like the thought of him moving to LB if all 3 TE come back next year.
I remember hearing that Dinkins might have been a higher rated recruit coming out of high school if he had pursued playing LB in college. But his heart was and likely still is set on playing TE at PSU. So it will be interesting to see if his weight changes the next time the roster weights are updated on the PSU roster. Franklin has mentioned the athletic skills of Dinkens a few times, interesting given that he was a true freshman redshirting behind a loaded TE room.

It seems logical for all 3 TE's to come back. Strange did not declare for the draft, and he is the only one eligible. And all 3 really were involved in the offense last season. But PSU may be short on experience at TE in 2023 as all 3 would be eligible for the NFL after the 2022 season. And both Johnson and Warren, playing behind a competent TE Strange in 2021, both look to have NFL potential. Really hope at least Warren comes back for 2023.

Last edited:
I would not complain about any OL player. There is something deeply flawed in the
coaching. Team's knowledge I w what play we are going to run. They Ned to bring a consultant on to look at the entire offense to help them fix this. I remember them raving about Miranda's toughness before he was a starter.

Reactions: scbob
I would have liked to see what A.J. Lytton could do. He was a beast on special teams though he kept getting flagged for hitting the punt returner on bam/bam plays. Dude is fast.

Thought the exact same way. He was always the first down on the field on kicks that displayed his big time speed. Highly rated CB coming out of hs but there are obviously other factors to play the position than a big set of wheels.

I would not complain about any OL player. There is something deeply flawed in the
coaching. Team's knowledge I w what play we are going to run. They Ned to bring a consultant on to look at the entire offense to help them fix this. I remember them raving about Miranda's toughness before he was a starter.
Exactly Mary! Miranda was 2nd team All-Big 10 at guard in 2020 and now all of sudden he can't block anyone? That doesn't make sense. I think he was playing out of position at center but I agree I think this more of a system thing than a player thing (although Walker looked slow and lazy to me all year, that was more on him).

The current crop is made up of 4* recruits.
Current crop of what? OL class? You got one 4 star coming in Drew and he will need at least two years to put on good weight and learn to pass block. Nelson and Maleek are LONG TERM projects that will probably go the way of Anthony Whigan. We are in deep crap on the OL now with Miranda not coming back.

Thought the exact same way. He was always the first down on the field on kicks that displayed his big time speed. Highly rated CB coming out of hs but there are obviously other factors to play the position than a big set of wheels.
Did he do more than the Wiscy Game? I'm seriously asking because other than those 2 crap calls against him at Wiscy I don't remember him the rest of the year. Does seem a little weird though that he seemed to come to PSU and repair what was damaged at FSU....then all of a sudden leaves again>

I would have liked to see what A.J. Lytton could do. He was a beast on special teams though he kept getting flagged for hitting the punt returner on bam/bam plays. Dude is fast.

Yep, I thought that with the turnover in the secondary that Lytton would compete for serious playing time for 2022.

And another tidbit I remember is that he played some Safety at his previous stop, FSU, in addition to being a fast, athletic CB prospect. And more experience at Safety wouldn't hurt either.........

Wonder why it didn't work out for him. Not too far from his MD home.....

Isn't he the one that sat out a year when Covid hit? He might have as many as 3, but more than likely 2 more years of eligibility. Some other school will get a dynamic athlete, it seems......

Yep, I thought that with the turnover in the secondary that Lytton would compete for serious playing time for 2022.

And another tidbit I remember is that he played some Safety at his previous stop, FSU, in addition to being a fast, athletic CB prospect. And more experience at Safety wouldn't hurt either.........

Wonder why it didn't work out for him. Not too far from his MD home.....

Isn't he the one that sat out a year when Covid hit? He might have as many as 3, but more than likely 2 more years of eligibility. Some other school will get a dynamic athlete, it seems......
This is where I wished we had an actual media that covered the team. I would love to hear some of the stories of the departures.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Current crop of what? OL class? You got one 4 star coming in Drew and he will need at least two years to put on good weight and learn to pass block. Nelson and Maleek are LONG TERM projects that will probably go the way of Anthony Whigan. We are in deep crap on the OL now with Miranda not coming back.
Wallace, Scruggs, Wormley, and Nelson were all 4*. Same with Tengwell.

Nelson is listed as a junior so I hope he's not a long term project. Whigan was 4*. I'm surprised he left.

Miranda is a D3 player, he can always go to Juniata and finish up.

Did he do more than the Wiscy Game? I'm seriously asking because other than those 2 crap calls against him at Wiscy I don't remember him the rest of the year. Does seem a little weird though that he seemed to come to PSU and repair what was damaged at FSU....then all of a sudden leaves again>
Did we even see him after that? I remember Franklin being visibly upset. Amazing that he didn't know the rules because those were clean.

Did we even see him after that? I remember Franklin being visibly upset. Amazing that he didn't know the rules because those were clean.
That is what I am saying....I dont remember him the rest of the year. Someone that watches personnel snaps might have a better idea.

Franklin was upset with the calls, not with the fact that Lytton timed his hits perfectly giving the returner a clear opportunity to catch the punt and made clean, hard hits on the returner.

Then Franklin discussed punt returning rules during his weekly press conference, stating that he believed the rules provide the returner the opportunity to avoid such hits by calling a fair catch (i.e. the means to protect himself and catch the punt), but if the returner does not call a fair catch that the returner is fair game provided the gunner gives the opportunity to make a clean catch of the punt, which Lytton clearly did. This further showed Franklin's support of Lyttons' outstanding plays to crush the returner on both occasions, within the rules.

Franklin was upset with the poor calls by the officials, not with Lytton.

Last edited:
Franklin was upset with the calls, not with the fact that Lytton timed his hits perfectly giving the returner a clear opportunity to catch the punt and made clean, hard hits on the returner.

Then Franklin discussed punt returning rules during his weekly press conference, stating that he believed the rules provide the returner the opportunity to avoid such hits by calling a fair catch, but if the returner does not call a fair catch that the returner is fair game provided the gunner gives the opportunity to make a clean catch of the punt, which Lytton clearly did. This further showed Franklin's support of Lyttons' outstanding plays to crush the returner on both occasions, within the rules.

Frankllin was upset with the poor calls by the officials, not with Lytton.
Which shows he didn’t understand the rules because the cover man has to be outside the width of the returners shoulders. It has nothing to do with a fair catch as he wasn’t in front of him. On both he was from the side. And he chewed him out on the sideline after at least one.

Which shows he didn’t understand the rules because the cover man has to be outside the width of the returners shoulders. It has nothing to do with a fair catch as he wasn’t in front of him. On both he was from the side. And he chewed him out on the sideline after at least one.

Franklin did understand the rules. Lytton was the required distance from the returner when the ball came to the returner. And the way for a returner to protect himself from a hard hit is to call a fair catch, as it's the returner's responsibility to know when he wants to protect himself regardless of where the gunner is coming from. And Lytton was basically coming full speed down the field at the returner from the LOS, not from the returners side.

And although Franklin might have been upset with Lytton getting called again during the intensity of the game, once Franklin reviewed the film and came to the conclusion that Lytton did in deed give the returner every opportunity to complete the catch of the punt, Franklin's critique to begin his weekly Tuesday press conference clearly supported Lytton making both hits within the rules.

Last edited:
Are you saying the player or Franklin didn’t understand the rule?

Disappointing, who else is the opposing DTs going to push into our QB.

The LB depth from an experience standpoint is brutal and portal help is sorely needed. However, it seems we've struck out in that department for now. Sutherland being moved to LB isn't a fix, and if Jacobs goes down....it will be rough sledding against B1G offensive lines.

Reactions: BBrown
The LB depth from an experience standpoint is brutal and portal help is sorely needed. However, it seems we've struck out in that department for now. Sutherland being moved to LB isn't a fix, and if Jacobs goes down....it will be rough sledding against B1G offensive lines.
Agreed......I am all for a portal guy has to be "a fit" but it is very frustrating this off-season watching all these LB's commit elsewhere. And as you mention, if Jacobs gets hurt.......oh my.

Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT