ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State up to 6th in the AP poll

Knowing someone has us #6 does add a certain spring to your step, no?

It's better than being unranked. My concern is with this being a B1G Championship worthy team but we've got a tough road ahead. The B1G East is the strongest it's ever been IMO.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Arkansas plays A&M. That will sort the SEC West out a little. An Arkansas win and they likely shoot into the top 10.

Wisky and ND meet on neutral ground. We'll see what we the Badgers have in their second ranked game. Rooting for a Wisky win here, preferably by double digits.

Good time for Villanova before we enter the Big 10 slate. Lots of tough road contests, but they are spaces out to our benefit. Barring something crazy, Game Day could be in Iowa City for that top 5 top 10 showdown.

Reactions: psuwxman
It's better than being unranked. My concern is with this being a B1G Championship worthy team but we've got a tough road ahead. The B1G East is the strongest it's ever been IMO.
Respectfully disagree. This Ohio St team is the weakest they’ve been in many years. Michigan has yet to play a quality opponent and we know how Harbaugh has done in big games. We do have a tough road ahead, no doubt, but the East is ripe for the taking this year.

Being ranked 6th on Sept.20th and $3. will get you a cup of coffee at most diners. The only advantage I can think of long term is it means that you are 3-0 and that fact is important. Not many, myself included, thought this team would emerge from Sept. 4-0. My thoughts were that this team would be 8-4 with a #9 win in a bowl. I'm not surprised by the O, but the D overall has, so far played much better than I would have predicted. Also, Ohio State especially (Indiana my have returned to earth as well) appears to be mortal and the trip to the horseshoe shouldn't be a certain defeat. On the other hand, Iowa and surprisingly. Michigan and Michigan St. may be a more difficult opponent than I thought. Lot's of ball to be played.
I'm getting the feeling that this defense is the most opportunistic PSU has had in decades.....they go for the ball, now if they can just catch it.
OL can pass protect, can they flip the switch and get the run blocking down? My final thought. Anyone else get the feeling that Lovett might add another dimension to this o?

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Being ranked 6th on Sept.20th and $3. will get you a cup of coffee at most diners. The only advantage I can think of long term is it means that you are 3-0 and that fact is important. Not many, myself included, thought this team would emerge from Sept. 4-0. My thoughts were that this team would be 8-4 with a #9 win in a bowl. I'm not surprised by the O, but the D overall has, so far played much better than I would have predicted. Also, Ohio State especially (Indiana my have returned to earth as well) appears to be mortal and the trip to the horseshoe shouldn't be a certain defeat. On the other hand, Iowa and surprisingly. Michigan and Michigan St. may be a more difficult opponent than I thought. Lot's of ball to be played.
I'm getting the feeling that this defense is the most opportunistic PSU has had in decades.....they go for the ball, now if they can just catch it.
OL can pass protect, can they flip the switch and get the run blocking down? My final thought. Anyone else get the feeling that Lovett might add another dimension to this o?

We have safety's who can defend the pass really well, in addition to tackle well. Our corners are playing tighter than ever and not recovering every snap, while also adding physical tackling in run support.

Brisker is playing his way into the first round. We have not had that in years, if ever.

Our DL isn't getting enough credit either. They are forcing quick passes. They might not have a ton of sacks, but the ball being thrown a second early ruins timing and that doesn't show up on stat sheets.

Lovett is intriguing. I look forward to his snaps vs Villanova. I smell a breakaway run and if so, look out.

Yurcich has been better than advertised. Or, he's probably working with the best talent he's coached since '19 Buckeyes.

On one hand I don't know how a team that struggles to get a single yard running can be ranked 6th.

On the other hand nobody has had a more difficult schedule and nearly every top team except Georgia has looked vulnerable.

So 6th seems about right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT