ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Tuition: circa 2017

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
I've tried to boil this down to the simplest form..... because if they knew what was really going on, Penn State Students and their Families would be marching upon Old Main (and Board of Trustees meetings) with torches and pitchforks....... and they should be:

Every elected Trustee has had access to this information for years..... why they are so adamant in their refusal to even begin to address this issue - one of the most impactful governance issues facing the University - is beyond words.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/barry-fenchak-for-trustee/tuition-costs-big-ten-conference/624686254536799/

Reactions: step.eng69
Am I reading that pie chart right? ONE-THIRD of PSU's budget goes to running a health-care system?
Are we in the education business or the medical business?

Am I reading that pie chart right? ONE-THIRD of PSU's budget goes to running a health-care system?
Are we in the education business or the medical business?

That is largely the Hershey Medical Center. I do find it interesting that Health System revenues are less than Health System expenses by $100 million. Generally big hospitals make a ton of money, so it would be interesting if Penn State was losing money at it.

One of the dirty little secrets of higher education -- and Penn State's a great example -- is that research doesn't pay for itself. Research loses money. Gov. grants and contracts bring in $600 million but PSU needs $200 million more to pay for its research. (not entirely apples to apples but a rough idea) Most of the extra funding for research comes from the pockets of undergrad students.

(Now you could argue that's worth it, because being a world-class research university definitely increases the value of a Penn State degree, particularly in applied science fields).

Another thing that's really annoying is the budget for "instruction" would include the full salaries and benefits for eminent research professors who teach one graduate class per semester (sometimes one class per year).

If you can get someone to pay you $150,000 a year to teach, and you're only teaching 6-8 hours a week for 32 weeks a year, and the rest of the time you spend writing books or hanging out in your lab or thinking great thoughts -- well it's a good gig if you can get it.

The way universities define "instruction" masks another huge subsidy for research. Again, coming out of the pockets of students who will typically be paying off $100,000 in student loans when they graduate.

Again, everybody wants those research professors, they bring in grants. But generally the grants pay for their grad students and equipment and lab space. Their base salaries are paid for out of student tuition.

Last edited:
As for why Penn State costs so much more than other Big Ten schools, I'd like to know more. Some of it -- maybe most of it -- is simply the other schools receive much bigger state appropriation per student than Penn State does. I.e. the primary reason Penn State costs so much is Harrisburg.

Reactions: PS4814
One of the dirty little secrets of higher education -- and Penn State's a great example -- is that research doesn't pay for itself. Research loses money. Gov. grants and contracts bring in $600 million but PSU needs $200 million more to pay for its research. (not entirely apples to apples but a rough idea) Most of the extra funding for research comes from the pockets of undergrad students.

(Now you could argue that's worth it, because being a world-class research university definitely increases the value of a Penn State degree, particularly in applied science fields).

That may be the case for PSU (and the majority of research universities for all I know) but it's not everywhere. Why? Let's chalk it up to varying levels of competence.

As for your parenthetical reference, that is entirely the sort of explanation I'd expect from a university administrator (we're losing money on the margin, but we'll make it up in volume).

I'll stop after this question....because I don't want to even try to cover every issue (and misconception) about the budget again.....
But the far larger issue with 'Research Dollars" is the gigantic (and ever growing) chunk of research funds that are syphoned off to pay for "Administration and Overhead" (NOT for salaries of research professors and what-not)

No one talks about it - but it is one of the large reasons why PSU receives very little non-government research funding (and shrinking all the time).

Non-governmental entities don't like to pay for "research" - - - - when much of what they spend is not used to fund "research", but is used to fatten bloated administrations.
On the other hand, Federal and State Bureaucracies - who are spending "other people's money", seemingly couldn't care less about the waste.

The portion of Penn State's research income that comes from Private Sources (non-US and State government) has dropped by 28% over the last several years.
As of last year, over 73% of all PSU research funds were from Governmental sources.

Another reason why Penn State's Leaders' bemoaning "lack of governmental support" is so nausea inducing. :confused:

Perhaps the strongest piece of evidence in this regard is the fat, bloated, empty-suit President the corrupt have installed to shill their misinformation and bull$hit.... Take a look at what they're paying this twit to shill their bull$hit from his "bully pulpit" to act as cover for their disgraceful corruption which egregiously violates PA Trust Law.... :confused: Pretty obvious that the President's primary responsibility is to act as a toady, lackey bootlicker for the corrupt, not to run a world-class University sadly....

What were the numbers before 2012?

As for why Penn State costs so much more than other Big Ten schools, I'd like to know more. Some of it -- maybe most of it -- is simply the other schools receive much bigger state appropriation per student than Penn State does. I.e. the primary reason Penn State costs so much is Harrisburg.

I would like to see the chart comparing actually expenses to other schools by year. How much do their profs make vs PSU? How much did they spend on new buildings per year vs PSU.

Perhaps the strongest piece of evidence in this regard is the fat, bloated, empty-suit President the corrupt have installed to shill their misinformation and bull$hit.... Take a look at what they're paying this twit to shill their bull$hit from his "bully pulpit" to act as cover for their disgraceful corruption which egregiously violates PA Trust Law.... :confused: Pretty obvious that the President's primary responsibility is to act as a toady, lackey bootlicker for the corrupt, not to run a world-class University sadly....

The costs did not start the day he got here.

Just one more snippet :) , for those who don't have the time to go through the statements:

Over the last 15 years, Penn State University's budget (the "University" part, not stuff like Hershey Medical) has increased by 112%........
Tuition charges have more than tripled....... as has the Long-Term Debt (the money spent on Dambly's Construction Projects - which isn't even included in the operating budget)

In 2000, the total debt of the University was equal to 31% of the operating budget.......
Today, it is just over 40% - - - - and rising like a rocket.

And that isn't even a part of the operating budget...... but it will be, when those future liabilities come due. (of course, then it will be someone else's problem... most likely the problem for a new generation of tuition-paying students)

Do you have the numbers by year? Dambly was appointed in 2010. Is he responsible for LONG term debt and projects before 2010? Which of those projects were the students and alumni against?

Anyone have any specific projects that are losing money that they want to list? I say cut spending on any losers. I will also support cutting R/D projects that are losing money and sports that are losing money. Who is in? Let me know when the students want to give up the private baths and luxury dorms.

My observations:

CJF_Said = Bushy

tatum56, a New member with <10 posts = administration shill who was alerted to the thread by board monitors from the administration (or a Russian disinformation hack trying to cause disharmony among posters, LOL)
)

Says the shill for the previous administrations who created the debt. Which projects are losing money do you support cutting? Which sports losing money will you support cutting? I am ok with cutting any sports losing money. You in?

Why don't you list the spending by year? I guess that would contradict your agenda since the people you want to complain about were not in a position of authority. I am ok with you blaming anyone who was actually in office when the actual spending took place.

Why didn't you complain about the tuition increases before 2012?

Last edited:
The costs did not start the day he got here.

Where did I say they did? Why don't you stop with your false accusations tool-boy and ACTUALLY READ what I wrote! The fat, bloated, empty-suit moron currently residing in the PSU Presidency was INSTALLED by the corrupt to act as their shill and waterboy to obfuscate their clear corruption.

Reactions: mn78psu83
My observations:

CJF_Said = Bushy

tatum56, a New member with <10 posts = administration shill who was alerted to the thread by board monitors from the administration (or a Russian disinformation hack trying to cause disharmony among posters, LOL)

Penn State must be doing something right:

Penn State's ARL earns Navy research contract worth as much as $2.1 billion

March 1, 2018
Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State the largest research contract in the University’s history – worth as much as $2.1 billion over 10 years – to conduct research and development to improve U.S. national security.

ARL at Penn State is one of fourteen Department of Defense (DoD) University Affiliated Research Center (UARC) laboratories that have long-term strategic relationships with the DoD and are considered trusted agents. These affiliated research centers provide essential research capabilities, develop new technology for national security applications, and provide unbiased technical advice to the DoD and other federal agencies.

“I am proud of the research performed at ARL and I am looking forward to their continued contributions to our national security. I’d like to thank the Department of Defense, U.S. Navy, and all of our national security research sponsors for their investment in Penn State, its students, faculty and all those involved in this growing partnership. Under this new agreement, ARL scientists and engineers will expand their vital role developing research that advances science and promotes national security,” said Neil Sharkey, Penn State vice president for research.

According to Paul Sullivan, director of ARL, “This contract demonstrates the great positive impact that Penn State research has on our nation and the world through the breadth and depth of our programs in engineering, technology, and applied science. From the deepest part of the ocean to satellites in geosynchronous orbit, ARL provides leading edge technologies.”

ARL supports national security, economic competitiveness, and quality of life through education, scientific discovery, technology demonstration, and successful transition to application. Since its establishment in 1945, ARL has made significant contributions to the present state of knowledge in its basic core mission areas. “Since our founding, ARL has been a leader in the development of critical science and engineering for our nation” said Allan Sonsteby, ARL deputy director.

ARL is a key developer of guidance and control technologies for undersea systems and vehicles, accomplishes prototyping of novel power and energy systems, and performs state of the art research in the area of computational fluid dynamics. ARL is leading research programs in the areas of communications, information processing, cybersecurity, electro-optics, directed energy and operates the Navigation Research and Development Center for the test and evaluation of our nations most precise positioning, navigation, and timing systems. ARL is a center of excellence in materials and manufacturing and supports both industry and the U.S. Navy with advanced materials and development of additive manufacturing technologies.

“I am extremely proud of the technologies developed by the men and women of ARL. ARL science and engineering contributes to the security of our nation, increasing the economic competitiveness of the country, and helping to educate our future engineering workforce,” Sullivan said. “The role of ARL and the other UARCs will be increasingly important as our nation’s adversaries become more technologically advanced and as our military strives to become more efficient and cost effective.”

The contract will be administered by the Naval Sea Systems Command, which engineers, builds, buys and maintains the Navy's ships and submarines and their combat systems.

Established at Penn State in 1945, ARL, which reports to the Office of the Vice President for Research, is the largest research unit at Penn State.

ARL employs a staff of about 1,300 including research faculty, engineers, staff and students. ARL has made important contributions to the university’s educational mission by providing approximately 250 students annually with valuable work experience, helping to encourage and shape the students’ careers in science and engineering.

Last Updated March 01, 2018

Last edited:
The Affordable Care Act requires plans and issuers that offer dependent child coverage to make the coverage available until the adult child reaches the age of 26.

Penn State must be doing something right:

Penn State's ARL earns Navy research contract worth as much as $2.1 billion

March 1, 2018
Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State the largest research contract in the University’s history – worth as much as $2.1 billion over 10 years – to conduct research and development to improve U.S. national security.

ARL at Penn State is one of fourteen Department of Defense (DoD) University Affiliated Research Center (UARC) laboratories that have long-term strategic relationships with the DoD and are considered trusted agents. These affiliated research centers provide essential research capabilities, develop new technology for national security applications, and provide unbiased technical advice to the DoD and other federal agencies.

“I am proud of the research performed at ARL and I am looking forward to their continued contributions to our national security. I’d like to thank the Department of Defense, U.S. Navy, and all of our national security research sponsors for their investment in Penn State, its students, faculty and all those involved in this growing partnership. Under this new agreement, ARL scientists and engineers will expand their vital role developing research that advances science and promotes national security,” said Neil Sharkey, Penn State vice president for research.

According to Paul Sullivan, director of ARL, “This contract demonstrates the great positive impact that Penn State research has on our nation and the world through the breadth and depth of our programs in engineering, technology, and applied science. From the deepest part of the ocean to satellites in geosynchronous orbit, ARL provides leading edge technologies.”

ARL supports national security, economic competitiveness, and quality of life through education, scientific discovery, technology demonstration, and successful transition to application. Since its establishment in 1945, ARL has made significant contributions to the present state of knowledge in its basic core mission areas. “Since our founding, ARL has been a leader in the development of critical science and engineering for our nation” said Allan Sonsteby, ARL deputy director.

ARL is a key developer of guidance and control technologies for undersea systems and vehicles, accomplishes prototyping of novel power and energy systems, and performs state of the art research in the area of computational fluid dynamics. ARL is leading research programs in the areas of communications, information processing, cybersecurity, electro-optics, directed energy and operates the Navigation Research and Development Center for the test and evaluation of our nations most precise positioning, navigation, and timing systems. ARL is a center of excellence in materials and manufacturing and supports both industry and the U.S. Navy with advanced materials and development of additive manufacturing technologies.

“I am extremely proud of the technologies developed by the men and women of ARL. ARL science and engineering contributes to the security of our nation, increasing the economic competitiveness of the country, and helping to educate our future engineering workforce,” Sullivan said. “The role of ARL and the other UARCs will be increasingly important as our nation’s adversaries become more technologically advanced and as our military strives to become more efficient and cost effective.”

The contract will be administered by the Naval Sea Systems Command, which engineers, builds, buys and maintains the Navy's ships and submarines and their combat systems.

Established at Penn State in 1945, ARL, which reports to the Office of the Vice President for Research, is the largest research unit at Penn State.

ARL employs a staff of about 1,300 including research faculty, engineers, staff and students. ARL has made important contributions to the university’s educational mission by providing approximately 250 students annually with valuable work experience, helping to encourage and shape the students’ careers in science and engineering.

Last Updated March 01, 2018

Better hope it continues. In some way, shape, or form the DoN funds 40% of PSU's research budget. That's not entirely healthy.

It doesn't require that it be free of charge, or on the backs of students who are paying tuition at Penn State.
Don’t put words in my mouth to hide your misstatements. I didn’t say it was free, and it isn’t. They are just doing what every employer is mandated by law to do.

Reactions: NJPSU
Better hope it continues. In some way, shape, or form the DoN funds 40% of PSU's research budget. That's not entirely healthy.
It’s a 10 year award. While diversity among funders is always good, I’d rather be the incumbent than not when this comes up again in 10 years, but if you want to put a negative spin on it, be my guest.

Last edited:
Don’t let the facts get in the way of your agenda.

PREMIUM COMPARISON

FACULTY & STAFF
MONTHLY PREMIUM CONTRIBUTIONS - PPO SAVINGS PLAN
Coverage Salary % $30,000 $40,000 $50,000 $60,000 $75,000 $85,000 $100,000 $140,000
Individual
0.78% $19.50 $26.00 $32.50 $39.00 $48.75 $55.25 $65.00 $91.00
Two-Person 1.89% $47.25 $63.00 $78.75 $94.50 $118.13 $133.88 $157.50 $220.50
Parent/Child(ren) 1.75% $43.75 $58.33 $72.92 $87.50 $109.38 $123.96 $145.83 $204.17
Family 2.41% $60.25 $80.33 $100.42 $120.50 $150.63 $170.71 $200.83 $281.17
MONTHLY PREMIUM CONTRIBUTIONS - PPO PLAN
Coverage Salary % $30,000 $40,000 $50,000 $60,000 $75,000 $85,000 $100,000 $140,000
Individual
1.51% $37.75 $50.33 $62.92 $75.50 $94.38 $106.96 $125.83 $176.17
Two-Person 3.68% $92.00 $122.67 $153.33 $184.00 $230.00 $260.67 $306.67 $429.33
Parent/Child(ren) 3.41% $85.25 $113.67 $142.08 $170.50 $213.13 $241.54 $284.17 $397.83
Family 4.69% $117.25 $156.33 $195.42 $234.50 $293.13 $332.21 $390.83 $547.17
TECHNICAL SERVICE EMPLOYEES
BI-WEEKLY PREMIUM CONTRIBUTIONS - PPO SAVINGS PLAN
Individual
1.21% $13.96 $18.62 $23.27 $27.92 $34.90 $39.56 $46.54 $65.15
Two-Person 2.26% $26.08 $34.77 $43.46 $52.15 $65.19 $73.88 $86.92 $121.69
Parent/Child(ren) 2.13% $24.58 $32.77 $40.96 $49.15 $61.44 $69.63 $81.92 $114.69
Family 2.75% $31.73 $42.31 $52.88 $63.46 $79.33 $89.90 $105.77 $148.08
BI-WEEKLY PREMIUM CONTRIBUTIONS - PPO PLAN
Individual
2.56% $29.54 $39.38 $49.23 $59.08 $73.85 $83.69 $98.46 $137.85
Two-Person 5.53% $63.81 $85.08 $106.35 $127.62 $159.52 $180.79 $212.69 $297.77
Parent/Child(ren) 5.16% $59.54 $79.38 $99.23 $119.08 $148.85 $168.69 $198.46 $277.85
Family 6.93% $79.96 $106.62 $133.27 $159.92 $199.90 $226.56 $266.54 $373.15
2017/2018 PREMIUMS FOR PART-TIME EMPLOYEES:
Due to vendor changes in 2018, all participants in the part-time employee PPO Blue Plan through Highmark, will be moved to the applicable part-time employee PPO Plan through Aetna. The following provisions will still apply.

Individuals who became eligible on or before December 31, 2014 for the part-time health care plan will continue to be eligible for such provisions, provided:

1. There is no involuntary or voluntary separation from University employment, for example if the employee leaves University employment for any period of time
  2. The employee continues to be enrolled in the part-time health care plan, with applicable payment of health care plan premiums, with no drop of coverage
  3. The employee transfers into a full-time benefits eligible position.

It’s a 10 year award. While diversity among finders is always good, I’d rather be the incumbent than not when this comes up again in 10 years, but if you want to put a negative spin on it, be my guest.

It's not that single contract. The DoN accounts for 40% of PSU's research funding, year in and year out.

Don't think for a minute that all or even the majority of the Navy's research funding is directed to PSU. Yes, PSU is better off with it than without it, but the contract might not yield the full $2.1bn over ten years or it could be gone tomorrow.

In essence, faculty and staff pay anywhere from $5 to $70 per week for healthcare, depending upon their compensation and size of family.

Once again, it would appear as though the student's tuition is subsidizing much of the healthcare costs.

Well, where else would it come from? Employer-provided healthcare is part of comp, just like salary. If you teach students it's not unreasonable to expect to be paid, indirectly, by students.

On the other hand, there are lots of people who run around PSU and don't teach. They also get paid. Do thwey provide value to students in exchange for getting paid by them?

In essence, faculty and staff pay anywhere from $5 to $70 per week for healthcare, depending upon their compensation and size of family.

Once again, it would appear as though the student's tuition is subsidizing much of the healthcare costs.
How much of your healthcare costs do your customers subsidize where you work?

That is a classic look over there....

The problem is both teachers and non-teachers...

No, the problem is the administration. They determine what the jobs are, the number to be hired, and the comp levels.

ADVERTISEMENT