ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Settles with Second Mile

These suits are going nowhere. The $500 Bil is getting thrown out before it goes anywhere.

The other one has more of a chance. But but the counter argument is that it was public knowledge before the scandal that every year the schools admit hundreds of less academically qualified applicants:

1. who are bona fide varsity athletes;

2. who are legacies;

3. whose parents in an open and aboveboard manner contribute large sums of money to the schools; and

4. who are underrepresented minorities.

And, yet, with all of this known, the plaintiffs chose to attend those universities.
Art, the only thing I replied to ere the posts about having to refund application fees and the follow-up mocking of that suggestion as if it were pennies. I merely showed that it's not chump change. Go back and check post #30 to understand what I replied to before responding. I'm in no way deliberating the merits of the lawsuits.

Reactions: denniskembala
Yeah, if bullet point one was even remotely true, it would have been a smart move. But bullet point one is completely fabricated.
Of course, but that's the media narrative the BOT refused to fight.

Art, the only thing I replied to ere the posts about having to refund application fees and the follow-up mocking of that suggestion as if it were pennies. I merely showed that it's not chump change. Go back and check post #30 to understand what I replied to before responding. I'm in no way deliberating the merits of the lawsuits.

I understand. And my point is that if some school(s) offered $10k to settle that suit, it would be done today.

Except that the students in the suit being discussed already attend Stanford and contend that the scandal has reduced the value of their degrees. How is this "remedy" consistent with the basis of their suit? Can't imagine they'd broaden it to encompass the great unwashed i.e. the rejects.

There is another suit where the mother of a reject is asking for $500 billion (yes, you read that right) for damages that her little precious suffered by not getting into certain schools (though it's not clear to which ones). The suggested settlement might fit this case, but it has less of chance of developing legs than the other.

I should sue Penn State for $500 billion for admitting me. They ruined me. Had Penn State not been awful, in everything, I might not hate me. Or, had Penn State been forthcoming in being so awful, in everything, I could have gone elsewhere and might not hate me.

Here, I say "might" because there would be a lot to overcome for me to not hate me. I would make a stronger case in the courtroom.

I'm sure a lawyer would take my case. Hmm...

I should sue Penn State for $500 billion for admitting me. They ruined me. Had Penn State not been awful, in everything, I might not hate me. Or, had Penn State been forthcoming in being so awful, in everything, I could have gone elsewhere and might not hate me.

Here, I say "might" because there would be a lot to overcome for me to not hate me. I would make a stronger case in the courtroom.

I'm sure a lawyer would take my case. Hmm...

With Penn State on the other side any lawyer would take your case. Easy money.:D

Reactions: marshall23
Collectively? That's easy.
Step 1 would be to elect people onto the BOT (give them standing) who would represent your interests by opposing those folks (assuming that "your interests" - the interests of Penn Staters if you will - would be to oppose them).

Who on the ballot are these people? It seems like I've tried voting for people who say they represent our interests. But then they get elected and we don't hear a peep. Do the get "castrated" somehow in their first meeting?

There were a lot of politically connected people who had financial dealings with TSM and I doubt many of them had any extensive contact with Sandusky. Still, the guilt by association through TSM could kill political aspirations. Thus the shredder truck and the PSU BoT going to great lengths to protect TSM. I'm sure the politicos paid them back in ways we'll never know about.

The ironic thing is there's a good chance that shredder truck ending up destroying exculpatory evidence. Maybe some calendar's showing Jerry's itinerary for December 29, 2000 and February 9, 2001.

Who on the ballot are these people? It seems like I've tried voting for people who say they represent our interests. But then they get elected and we don't hear a peep. Do the get "castrated" somehow in their first meeting?
the BOT is like the Politburo- if you aren't on the Central Committee, you have no voice- and we don't elect Central Committee members, the Central Committee does.

The idea that the "A9" can or ever could do anything is just a sad joke

Several students from one of those colleges caught up in the admissions scam have filed a class action against the school stating their degree is tainted and has less meaning now. Been saying for years that PSU alumni should have done the same. Plenty of examples out there too of how many were treated because of their association to the school.

IIRC, a well-known PSU rebel-lawyer claimed years ago it would never work

So what, exactly, was the BOT trying to cover up by granting TSM indemnification? The allegations being thrown around include money laundering, a pedo sex ring, or other things - land deals, for example between BOT members, the university, and TSM. One poster suggested that indemnification saved PSU money from being sued twice. Perhaps there was a trail of political contributions between individual Board members, Corbett, and TSM which resulted in bogus contracts, fraudulent transactions, phoney grants, or illegal activities of some kind. The possibilities seem endless. It’s unlikely, now, that we will ever know because our esteemed State AGs have never had the will to conduct a proper and complete investigation. The BOT, and the politicians they support, have likely prevented that from EVER occurring.

So is there anyone with actual knowledge about what the BOT was so interested in hiding by deflecting attention to a “football culture” problem, or were they just trying to remove their political opponents, Spanier and in the fallout Paterno who had many of them pissed off from other things in prior years? I don’t expect an actual real answer to this question, as if it were easy, we would all know it by now. But someone in the inner circle probably knows, and all we do on these message boards is speculate. I’d be interested in hearing from Lubrano about what he thinks they were up to, as he’s the one individual who was on the BOT with a free voice.

Some accusations seem more realistic than others, but you never know. I certainly don’t. And before the shit hit the fan, I wouldn’t have thought that Sandusky was molesting kids either. And while I think it’s conceivable that he did, I don’t think he got a fair trial or competent legal representation when he was convicted.

In an unrelated case, for some who like to read about the levels of corruption which go on routinely it seems, Philly.com has an excellent article today (Monday) on its website about Vince Fumo, John Dougherty, and a non profit land management corporation in Philadelphia that gets public money and has an unpaid Board to maintain public land along the I95 corridor in South Philadelphia. It seems like Johnnie Dock had a habit of getting involved with non profit boards of all kinds at every opportunity. The incestuous relationships that result just feed his money machine that help elect mayors, judges, even governors in return for “favors”. Perhaps this is what we have with PSU’s BOT. Well there’s my speculation for the day....

Last edited:
Well it’s hard to prove damages in a case like this. Many class action cases result in very small dollar per claimant settlements as this one is likely to. The suit I was referring to is being brought by students denied admission, not by accepted students claiming their degree is devalued. There are likely to be several different suits representing different classes of individuals.

The one I was refering to was by current students so there must be several already. Someone else asked what I thought they would win and I honestly dont know that answer but they have a legit complaint imo just like a lot of PSU alumni did or do. Our degree was tainted and still may be for all I know. Im sure there are people in universities that have some statistic that can tell you exactly what a specific degree is worth in a particular field or major. From there I guess its a matter of determining how tainted and devalued it is now.

One suggestion I read was that the universities who participated in the admissions fiasco would be, if the class action was successful, required to refund the application fees of all the students who were denied admission.
Not to shoot down your idea, but in at least a couple of the involved schools the corruption was restricted to a single coach.

The ironic thing is there's a good chance that shredder truck ending up destroying exculpatory evidence. Maybe some calendar's showing Jerry's itinerary for December 29, 2000 and February 9, 2001.
Even if it didnt, it’s now been almost 8 years and almost 20 years since the incidents. At some point the financial records, etc would no longer need to be retained. They successfully got that organization off the hook. Why the media kept looking the other way I will never understand. Although I suspect it was sheer stupidity more than being complicit.

Reactions: Bob78
So what, exactly, was the BOT trying to cover up by granting TSM indemnification? The allegations being thrown around include money laundering, a pedo sex ring, or other things - land deals, for example between BOT members, the university, and TSM. One poster suggested that indemnification saved PSU money from being sued twice. Perhaps there was a trail of political contributions between individual Board members, Corbett, and TSM which resulted in bogus contracts, fraudulent transactions, phoney grants, or illegal activities of some kind. The possibilities seem endless. It’s unlikely, now, that we will ever know because our esteemed State AGs have never had the will to conduct a proper and complete investigation. The BOT, and the politicians they support, have likely prevented that from EVER occurring.

So is there anyone with actual knowledge about what the BOT was so interested in hiding by deflecting attention to a “football culture” problem, or were they just trying to remove their political opponents, Spanier and in the fallout Paterno who had many of them pissed off from other things in prior years? I don’t expect an actual real answer to this question, as if it were easy, we would all know it by now. But someone in the inner circle probably knows, and all we do on these message boards is speculate. I’d be interested in hearing from Lubrano about what he thinks they were up to, as he’s the one individual who was on the BOT with a free voice.

Some accusations seem more realistic than others, but you never know. I certainly don’t. And before the shit hit the fan, I wouldn’t have thought that Sandusky was molesting kids either. And while I think it’s conceivable that he did, I don’t think he got a fair trial or competent legal representation when he was convicted.

In an unrelated case, for some who like to read about the levels of corruption which go on routinely it seems, Philly.com has an excellent article today (Monday) on its website about Vince Fumo, John Dougherty, and a non profit land management corporation in Philadelphia that gets public money and has an unpaid Board to maintain public land along the I95 corridor in South Philadelphia. It seems like Johnnie Dock had a habit of getting involved with non profit boards of all kinds at every opportunity. The incestuous relationships that result just feed his money machine that help elect mayors, judges, even governors in return for “favors”. Perhaps this is what we have with PSU’s BOT. Well there’s my speculation for the day....

Fear and greed drove this entire sordid mess.

This was never about the truth. This was always a case of blaming the guys who were gone. Ken Frazier was very familiar with this corporate playbook.

Too many of them had ties to the Second Mile.

The legal strategy was never to defend the University. Instead, the plan called for the quick resolution of claims. Money was no object because the insurers would reimburse PSU at least 50%. Besides, the University
Is flush so money is now object, at least when it’s OPM!

i think they will settle. As if that goes to trial and with all the discovery there will be a whole lot more bodies unearthed who were in on it. So those higher-ups who knew about it and did nothing but are now not known and not implicated will pay off whomever needs to be paid to keep their reputation.
How can they prove that they were damaged in any way? They didn't make CEO with millions in stock options by the time they were 30? Good luck with that.

The suit should be tossed out, waste of the court's time.

This was never about the truth. This was always a case of blaming the guys who were gone. Ken Frazier was very familiar with this corporate playbook.

The legal strategy was never to defend the University. Instead, the plan called for the quick resolution of claims. Money was no object because the insurers would reimburse PSU at least 50%. Besides, the University

It seems the primary game plan was resolve the claims as quickly as possible with the express purpose of keeping as much out of the news cycle as possible.

The following was extracted from a victim lawsuit filing. It includes quotes from various depositions of former BOT members. I don't believe any of this has been made public. Note - The filing in question was available very briefly before it was sealed. It's clear the plaintiff attorney swayed as much as humanly possible in his clients favor, but its also clear our former BOT members made it easy. Also, PSU apparently did try to fight this lawsuit for awhile; the case was settled shortly after it was scheduled for what would've been a public trial.

## John Doe MM Lawsuit Filing 12/1/2017, and Deposition Extracts

### Based on John Doe MM Deposition, p.10

Plaintiff attended several PSU football games with Defendant Sandusky. On at least one of those occasions Gary Schultz was present. This was in 2006, before Plaintiff was sexually assaulted by Sandusky. See Exhibit “B” pgs. 177- 192. Schultz not only saw the Plaintiff with Sandusky, Mr. Schultz spoke with Plaintiff's father. At this point, Mr. Schultz knew that Sandusky had sexually abused several TSM children in 1998 and 2001. Id. Despite having this knowledge and seeing TSM children with Sandusky, including Plaintiff, in a box at PSU's football stadium, Mr. Schultz never once warned Plaintiff and/or his father about the danger Sandusky posed. This cowardly indifference to Plaintiff's welfare placed him in the position to be sexually assaulted by Sandusky not one year later. Plaintiff identified Mr. Schultz in a photograph as the man who saw Plaintiff with Sandusky and who spoke with Plaintiff's father during the PSU football game. See Exhibit “B” pgs. 177- 192; See also Exhibit “HH” Photograph of Gary Schultz Shown to Plaintiff.

### Based on Karen Peetz Deposition, p.11-12
PSU's averments and arguments throughout all four Motions for Summary Judgment are incredulous, given that PSU has already accepted full responsibility for all of the sexual abuse that occurred to TSM children, including Plaintiff. Starting with then Chairman of the PSU Board of Trustees Karen Peetz, who during one of her depositions answered questions about the statement she gave, authorized by and on behalf of PSU, at the conclusion of Judge Louis Freeh's internal investigation into PSU:

Q. It starts [Miss Peetz statement regarding the Freeh Report]: “Today's comprehensive [Freeh] report is sad and sobering in that it concludes that at the moment of truth, people in positions of authority and responsibility did not put the welfare of children first.” Do you see that?
A. I do.

Q. Do you agree with that?
A. Yes.

Q. “The Board of Trustees, as the group that has paramount accountability for overseeing and ensuring the proper functioning and governance of the university, accepts full responsibility for the failures that occurred.” Do you see that?
A. Yes.

Q. Do you agree with that statement?
A. Yes.

Q. And accepting full responsibility for the failures that occurred, that means endangering the welfare of children, doesn't it?
A. I think what it means is that as the senior most body of the university, where the president reports to the board of the university, that it is very important that we step up and say: The buck stops here. We accept responsibility and accountability.

See Exhibit “D” pgs. 27-28; lines 4-24, 1-8. This statement by PSU's assigned representative, in and of itself provides a genuine issue of material fact that defeats all of PSU's Motions for Summary Judgment. PSU cannot say they did not owe a duty to Plaintiff and that they are not responsible, when one of PSU's highest-ranking members is saying otherwise.

### Based on James Broadhurst Deposition, p.16-17
James Broadhurst, who served on the Board of Trustees for PSU since 1998, and was the Chairman for two years, also accepted full responsibility and liability on behalf of PSU. He was deposed by Victim No. 9's attorney. To put Victim No. 9's abuse in context, he was sexually assaulted and abused from 2005 until 2009, Plaintiff in this case was sexually abused during that same timeframe, in 2007. Mr. Broadhurst specifically addresses how PSU failed to prevent, stop, and/or warn of the dangers Sandusky, a convicted pedophile, posed to all children he came into contact with.

Q. Our client, this young boy was sexually molested, raped, between 2005 and early 2009?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. During the period of time that you were both a trustee, you were vice-chair of the board of trustees and you then served as the chair of the board of trustees. Will you accept responsibility for permitting him [the victim] to be in a situation where Gerry Sandusky was using the athletic facilities, met him at The Second Mile Camp, took him to football games, walked around the Penn State football stadium with Joe Paterno, will you sit here and accept responsibility that that should not have happened had the board discharged its fiduciary obligations?
A. I'm very disappointed that, that our senior leadership team didn't do what was necessary to prevent this terrible act to occur. As far as responsibility by the board, the university, I can't, I can't speak to that in the manner that, the way you presented the question. This was a matter of failure of individuals to perform their appropriate duties and responsibility that had knowledge of these circumstance.

Q. And who are those, who are those individuals who failed?
A. These are the senior officers that were previously mentioned, Graham Spanier, Gary Schultz, Tim Curley.

Q. And Joe Paterno?
A. And Joe Paterno.

See Exhibit “F” pgs. 82-84, lines 1-24, 1-24, 1-6. Mr. Broadhurst was asked directly about specific findings contained in the Freeh report:

Q. “Four of the most powerful people at The Penn State University -- Graham B. Spanier, Senior Vice-President –Finance and Business Gary C. Schultz, Athletic Director Timothy Curley and Head Football Coach Joseph V. Paterno – failed to protect against a sexual predator harming children for over a decade. These men concealed Sandusky's activities from the Board of Trustees, the University community and authorities. They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky's victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted in the Lasch Building in 2001. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, of what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001.” Do you accept that finding by Judge Freeh?
A. I accept the failures of these individuals as reported by Judge Freeh.

### Based on Ken Frazier Deposition, p.18-20
Another member of the Board Trustees and Chairman of the Special Investigative Task Force, discussed above, Kenneth Frazier,6 also accepts the findings of the Freeh Report and takes full responsibility, accountability and liability on behalf of PSU for the failures of PSU to prevent, stop, and/or warn of the dangers Sandusky posed to every child who Sandusky came into contact with. Before making any statements regarding PSU's accountability for the abuse that occurred, Mr. Frazier fully read the Freeh report and went through the evidence that supported the findings of the Freeh report. During his deposition, he was questioned about the statements he made on behalf of PSU.
Q. And when you saw the internal e-mails that were attached to the Freeh Report, the evidence, were you upset?
A. Yes.

Q. Why is that?
A. I was upset because personally I believed then I believe now that people who are in a position of responsibility in the University should take reports of suspected child abuse very seriously and that implies in my mind that if there is sufficient information of adults to suspect the possibility that children are in danger that those facts or information, whether it's complete or perfect or not, gives rise to a responsibility to take whatever steps can reasonably be taken to ensure that those children are protected from what might be sexual abuse, and that to me included making a report about those suspicions to the people who are trained and responsible for determining, whether, in fact, children are at risk.
Q. And after reading the Freeh Report and after looking at the evidence that was attached to the Freeh Report, you believed that the University needed to accept responsibility for children being harmed. Isn't that accurate?
A. In fact, I said that as a Board of Tr
ustees, as the highest entity entitled to act on behalf of the University, we were accepting responsibility and accountability for failures that occurred. I remember saying that.

### Based on Anne Riley Deposition, p.20
Board of Trustee Member, Francis Anne Riley, a trustee from July of 1999 until June of 2012, specifically agreed, during her deposition, that PSU enabled and allowed Sandusky to lure and abuse all of his child victims:

Q. You know, I've been thinking about this. Maybe you can help me out particularly because you have been a teacher and involved with education for a good part of your life and Penn State. Beaver Stadium, Penn State has just not Pennsylvania relevance. It's got national attention and to some extent absolutely well deserved. But here you have a pedophile who was using the facilities bringing young, typically troubled, sometimes parent-less or single parent, young boys to the stadium, probably from their point of view for the time of their life, an opportunity to be with well-known people at a well-known institution. As you look back on it now, just as a reflection, don't you think that enabled, allowing that to happen, using Penn State's facilities helped enable Sandusky to commit his crimes?
A. Yes.

### Based on Steve Garban Deposition, p.20-21
Another high-ranking member of PSU and a life-long employee, Steve Garban unequivocally stated, that Penn State was responsible for all of the abuse committed by Sandusky from 1998 through 2012. Additionally, Mr. Garban on behalf of PSU, fully accepted the findings contained in the Freeh report.

Q. That when you used - - I'm going to read it again [Mr. Garban's resignation letter as chairman of the board of trustees]: “The Board of Trustees accepted responsibility for the failures of governance that took place on our watch.” What period of time did you mean when you wrote that sentence?
A. My view is it meant all the time I was on the board.

Q. Meaning 1998 through and including 2012?
A. Well, that's what I was referring to, yes.

See Exhibit “I” pgs. 41-42, lines 14-24, 1.

Q. Now let me read the last paragraph on that page [letter the PSU Board of Trustees put out on the day the Freeh Report was released] and it goes over to the back: “The Board of Trustees acknowledges that it failed to create an environment of accountability and transparency and did not have optimal reporting procedures or committee structures.” Is that an accurate statement of the board's position at that time”
A. Yes.

See Exhibit “I” pg. 65, lines 3-11.

Quoting from the same document as above:

Q. The next sentence, actually the next paragraph, quote, “The Board of Trustees, as the group that has paramount responsibility for overseeing and ensuring the proper functioning and governance of the University, accepts full responsibility for the failures cited in the Free Report.” You agree with that, do you not?
A. Yes.

It seems the primary game plan was resolve the claims as quickly as possible with the express purpose of keeping as much out of the news cycle as possible.

The following was extracted from a victim lawsuit filing. It includes quotes from various depositions of former BOT members. I don't believe any of this has been made public. Note - The filing in question was available very briefly before it was sealed. It's clear the plaintiff attorney swayed as much as humanly possible in his clients favor, but its also clear our former BOT members made it easy. Also, PSU apparently did try to fight this lawsuit for awhile; the case was settled shortly after it was scheduled for what would've been a public trial.

Plaintiff attended several PSU football games with Defendant Sandusky. On at least one of those occasions Gary Schultz was present. This was in 2006, before Plaintiff was sexually assaulted by Sandusky. See Exhibit “B” pgs. 177- 192. Schultz not only saw the Plaintiff with Sandusky, Mr. Schultz spoke with Plaintiff's father. At this point, Mr. Schultz knew that Sandusky had sexually abused several TSM children in 1998 and 2001. Id. Despite having this knowledge and seeing TSM children with Sandusky, including Plaintiff, in a box at PSU's football stadium, Mr. Schultz never once warned Plaintiff and/or his father about the danger Sandusky posed. This cowardly indifference to Plaintiff's welfare placed him in the position to be sexually assaulted by Sandusky not one year later. Plaintiff identified Mr. Schultz in a photograph as the man who saw Plaintiff with Sandusky and who spoke with Plaintiff's father during the PSU football game. See Exhibit “B” pgs. 177- 192; See also Exhibit “HH” Photograph of Gary Schultz Shown to Plaintiff.

PSU's averments and arguments throughout all four Motions for Summary Judgment are incredulous, given that PSU has already accepted full responsibility for all of the sexual abuse that occurred to TSM children, including Plaintiff. Starting with then Chairman of the PSU Board of Trustees Karen Peetz, who during one of her depositions answered questions about the statement she gave, authorized by and on behalf of PSU, at the conclusion of Judge Louis Freeh's internal investigation into PSU:

Q. It starts [Miss Peetz statement regarding the Freeh Report]: “Today's comprehensive [Freeh] report is sad and sobering in that it concludes that at the moment of truth, people in positions of authority and responsibility did not put the welfare of children first.” Do you see that?
A. I do.

A. Yes.

Q. “The Board of Trustees, as the group that has paramount accountability for overseeing and ensuring the proper functioning and governance of the university, accepts full responsibility for the failures that occurred.” Do you see that?
A. Yes.

A. Yes.

Q. And accepting full responsibility for the failures that occurred, that means endangering the welfare of children, doesn't it?
A. I think what it means is that as the senior most body of the university, where the president reports to the board of the university, that it is very important that we step up and say: The buck stops here. We accept responsibility and accountability.

See Exhibit “D” pgs. 27-28; lines 4-24, 1-8. This statement by PSU's assigned representative, in and of itself provides a genuine issue of material fact that defeats all of PSU's Motions for Summary Judgment. PSU cannot say they did not owe a duty to Plaintiff and that they are not responsible, when one of PSU's highest-ranking members is saying otherwise.

James Broadhurst, who served on the Board of Trustees for PSU since 1998, and was the Chairman for two years, also accepted full responsibility and liability on behalf of PSU. He was deposed by Victim No. 9's attorney. To put Victim No. 9's abuse in context, he was sexually assaulted and abused from 2005 until 2009, Plaintiff in this case was sexually abused during that same timeframe, in 2007. Mr. Broadhurst specifically addresses how PSU failed to prevent, stop, and/or warn of the dangers Sandusky, a convicted pedophile, posed to all children he came into contact with.

Q. Our client, this young boy was sexually molested, raped, between 2005 and early 2009?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. During the period of time that you were both a trustee, you were vice-chair of the board of trustees and you then served as the chair of the board of trustees. Will you accept responsibility for permitting him [the victim] to be in a situation where Gerry Sandusky was using the athletic facilities, met him at The Second Mile Camp, took him to football games, walked around the Penn State football stadium with Joe Paterno, will you sit here and accept responsibility that that should not have happened had the board discharged its fiduciary obligations?
A. I'm very disappointed that, that our senior leadership team didn't do what was necessary to prevent this terrible act to occur. As far as responsibility by the board, the university, I can't, I can't speak to that in the manner that, the way you presented the question. This was a matter of failure of individuals to perform their appropriate duties and responsibility that had knowledge of these circumstance.

A. These are the senior officers that were previously mentioned, Graham Spanier, Gary Schultz, Tim Curley.

Q. And Joe Paterno?
A. And Joe Paterno.

See Exhibit “F” pgs. 82-84, lines 1-24, 1-24, 1-6. Mr. Broadhurst was asked directly about specific findings contained in the Freeh report:

Q. “Four of the most powerful people at The Penn State University -- Graham B. Spanier, Senior Vice-President –Finance and Business Gary C. Schultz, Athletic Director Timothy Curley and Head Football Coach Joseph V. Paterno – failed to protect against a sexual predator harming children for over a decade. These men concealed Sandusky's activities from the Board of Trustees, the University community and authorities. They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky's victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted in the Lasch Building in 2001. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, of what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001.” Do you accept that finding by Judge Freeh?

Another member of the Board Trustees and Chairman of the Special Investigative Task Force, discussed above, Kenneth Frazier,6 also accepts the findings of the Freeh Report and takes full responsibility, accountability and liability on behalf of PSU for the failures of PSU to prevent, stop, and/or warn of the dangers Sandusky posed to every child who Sandusky came into contact with. Before making any statements regarding PSU's accountability for the abuse that occurred, Mr. Frazier fully read the Freeh report and went through the evidence that supported the findings of the Freeh report. During his deposition, he was questioned about the statements he made on behalf of PSU.
Q. And when you saw the internal e-mails that were attached to the Freeh Report, the evidence, were you upset?
A. Yes.

Q. Why is that?
A. I was upset because personally I believed then I believe now that people who are in a position of responsibility in the University should take reports of suspected child abuse very seriously and that implies in my mind that if there is sufficient information of adults to suspect the possibility that children are in danger that those facts or information, whether it's complete or perfect or not, gives rise to a responsibility to take whatever steps can reasonably be taken to ensure that those children are protected from what might be sexual abuse, and that to me included making a report about those suspicions to the people who are trained and responsible for determining, whether, in fact, children are at risk.
Q. And after reading the Freeh Report and after looking at the evidence that was attached to the Freeh Report, you believed that the University needed to accept responsibility for children being harmed. Isn't that accurate?
ustees, as the highest entity entitled to act on behalf of the University, we were accepting responsibility and accountability for failures that occurred. I remember saying that.

Board of Trustee Member, Francis Anne Riley, a trustee from July of 1999 until June of 2012, specifically agreed, during her deposition, that PSU enabled and allowed Sandusky to lure and abuse all of his child victims:

Q. You know, I've been thinking about this. Maybe you can help me out particularly because you have been a teacher and involved with education for a good part of your life and Penn State. Beaver Stadium, Penn State has just not Pennsylvania relevance. It's got national attention and to some extent absolutely well deserved. But here you have a pedophile who was using the facilities bringing young, typically troubled, sometimes parent-less or single parent, young boys to the stadium, probably from their point of view for the time of their life, an opportunity to be with well-known people at a well-known institution. As you look back on it now, just as a reflection, don't you think that enabled, allowing that to happen, using Penn State's facilities helped enable Sandusky to commit his crimes?
A. Yes.

Another high-ranking member of PSU and a life-long employee, Steve Garban unequivocally stated, that Penn State was responsible for all of the abuse committed by Sandusky from 1998 through 2012. Additionally, Mr. Garban on behalf of PSU, fully accepted the findings contained in the Freeh report.

Q. That when you used - - I'm going to read it again [Mr. Garban's resignation letter as chairman of the board of trustees]: “The Board of Trustees accepted responsibility for the failures of governance that took place on our watch.” What period of time did you mean when you wrote that sentence?

Q. Now let me read the last paragraph on that page [letter the PSU Board of Trustees put out on the day the Freeh Report was released] and it goes over to the back: “The Board of Trustees acknowledges that it failed to create an environment of accountability and transparency and did not have optimal reporting procedures or committee structures.” Is that an accurate statement of the board's position at that time”
A. Yes.

Q. The next sentence, actually the next paragraph, quote, “The Board of Trustees, as the group that has paramount responsibility for overseeing and ensuring the proper functioning and governance of the University, accepts full responsibility for the failures cited in the Free Report.” You agree with that, do you not?
A. Yes.
Some very troubling statements. @lubrano, do you have any insight into whether these folks are simply repeating the Party Line, or did they actually believe the things they were saying?

How can they prove that they were damaged in any way? They didn't make CEO with millions in stock options by the time they were 30? Good luck with that.

Putting aside the doctored transcripts and test scores, with which the schools had nothing to do, the only reason this scheme worked was because they gave preferential to real athletes. Big secret there.

Indeed.... it was a perfectly run play by the BOT. Make a spectacle and blame the 4 at the top, make quick payment of claims to the plaintiffs and that will cement public opinion of "see they are paying out... they are guilty". Keeps the spotlight off board members who had ties to the TSM. Just amazing that journalism is long dead and no one could see the forest through the trees and actually do some investigative reporting.

Indeed.... it was a perfectly run play by the BOT. Make a spectacle and blame the 4 at the top, make quick payment of claims to the plaintiffs and that will cement public opinion of "see they are paying out... they are guilty". Keeps the spotlight off board members who had ties to the TSM. Just amazing that journalism is long dead and no one could see the forest through the trees and actually do some investigative reporting.
Well stated. Thanks to you and Mr Lubrano for your input and clarifications. So the BOT took responsibility as per above but no one on the BOT (including former members) was ever charged with a failure to exercise what they admitted was their responsibility because of this strategy. It’s making some sense to me now.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bwifan
The reason PSU took over the victim's claims against TSM at the time they (PSU) were settling with the victims goes like this ...

*Victim A sues PSU "because PSU (i.e Paterno) knew Sandusky was raping boys and did nothing about it because they wanted to protect the football program".
*PSU says "you are right, that's exactly what we did - didn't think we would get caught - how much money do you want?" PSU writes big check to Victim A.
*Victim A cashes check and then sues TSM because they (TSM) knew that JS was raping boys and didn't stop him.
*TSM says "it's not our fault ... it's PSU's fault ... they knew he was raping boys and didn't tell us". So, TSM brings in PSU to their suit.
*PSU says "dang, you are right again, that's exactly what happened ... how much $$ do you want for this second check?"

So, if PSU didn't require the victims to settle with TSM at the same time PSU was writing their settlement check, they could have paid twice as much.

That might have been the only reasonably smart thing they did in the entire saga.

Bull feces!

To the extent this was a pedophilia scandal, it was 100% a TSM scandal. Penn State should have fought for its reputation. It should have fought for Paterno's reputation. It should have fought for C/S/S.

The Freeh report made it perfectly clear that the OGBOT wanted things to play out exactly as they have.

and let us not forget.....the Emeritus Status was not something that originated from JVP and the administrators. It was Jerry's friends on the BOT that made the push.

A. I do.

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

A. Yes, sir.

Q. And Joe Paterno?
A. And Joe Paterno.

A. Yes.

Q. Why is that?

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

The idiotic strategy of the BoT failed with regard to the news cycle. It was successful getting friends and family members off the hook.

Reactions: 91Joe95
b4DMjTiRhRXnMTVyrdhjEFe9dqlShl3xcbgduvuXowsWHGGRJZ6tKpILfCIrM_d00iYROiXS9g5--sw=s0-d-e1-ft
b4DMjTiRhRXnMTVyrdhjEFe9dqlShl3xcbgduvuXowsWHGGRJZ6tKpILfCIrM_d00iYROiXS9g5--sw=s0-d-e1-ft

HH0Fl1TTr-Y7B0tRiqWKF2qjCDDSoGH_jvWWxHoI2SFC9KheGW7t61AIzO0xt0rSLmB4I2QCH1shMA=s0-d-e1-ft

HH0Fl1TTr-Y7B0tRiqWKF2qjCDDSoGH_jvWWxHoI2SFC9KheGW7t61AIzO0xt0rSLmB4I2QCH1shMA=s0-d-e1-ft

I’m hearing that the University has settled with the Second Mike and will receive all the “free cash” approximating some $700k+ In addition, Penn State will receive less than $3 million from the Second Mile insurers.

In the settlements PSU made with claimants, the Second Mike was indemnified (as were PSU Trustees). All claimants assigned their respective claims against the Second Mile to PSU.

I would expect the PA AG to
Announce this settlement. I’m not holding my breath that PSU will do the same. That would amount to openness and transparency.

Received this email today, and for some reason thought it should be shared in this thread........

The Most Versatile Swim Trunks Under The Sun

primary1_v2.gif

you must not understand these types of lawsuits. you don't file them to actually get to court and win. you file them to get discovery of any and all emails and correspondence and to be able to depose people. So if a few of the top admin's know that an opposing lawyer is going to have access to all of their email, the will most likely pay millions of dollars of USC's endowment to make sure that does not happen. Not much different from this whole JS mess where the BOT essentially used PSU as a piggybank to make sure that nobody ever came looking for them.

Reactions: 91Joe95
you must not understand these types of lawsuits. you don't file them to actually get to court and win. you file them to get discovery of any and all emails and correspondence and to be able to depose people. So if a few of the top admin's know that an opposing lawyer is going to have access to all of their email, the will most likely pay millions of dollars of USC's endowment to make sure that does not happen. Not much different from this whole JS mess where the BOT essentially used PSU as a piggybank to make sure that nobody ever came looking for them.

The $500 bn suit isn't getting to discovery. The other one might, though I doubt it. Whatever monies get paid won't come from the endowment. There is a slight problem with doing that.

Reactions: stormingnorm

A. I do.

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

A. Yes, sir.

Q. And Joe Paterno?
A. And Joe Paterno.

A. Yes.

Q. Why is that?

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

A. Yes.

I have called the bot a bunch of scumbags, and much worse over the years. I was too kind.

The below quote from Scolforo inspired me to do some digging.

The money represents a fraction of the costs to Penn State of the Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal, including more than $100 million to settle with those who said they were abused by Sandusky, along with other legal claims, a federal fine, litigation costs and related expenses.

Those who scrutinize these developments will immediately recognize that while the above statement is true on its face, the bolded selection is, in fact, completely misleading. The Sandusky component of the Clery fine was a fraction of a fraction of the $2.4M (though the press from the Sandusky incident is almost certainly responsible for the DoE's audit).

So while I was looking for a source to document the actual amount of the Clery fine attributed to Sandusky, I came across a Daily Collegian article with this interesting inclusion.

Penn State refused to accept the findings of the (Department of Education)'s initial review of the situation as well as the findings of former FBI Director Louis Freeh's report, an investigation into the Sandusky case in 2012. This prompted further investigation from the department.

So, in summary, Freeh's Penn State report is
A) Absolutely not something that Penn State is willing to officially review or criticize or accept or reject, but
B) Is not helpful for decision making purposes, and also
C) Is something that Penn State rejects.

Got it.

Last edited:
Bull feces!

To the extent this was a pedophilia scandal, it was 100% a TSM scandal. Penn State should have fought for its reputation. It should have fought for Paterno's reputation. It should have fought for C/S/S.

The Freeh report made it perfectly clear that the OGBOT wanted things to play out exactly as they have.
Its just that the BOT had a few traitors in charge. They liked to talk to one another on their cell phones.

ADVERTISEMENT