ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Settles with Second Mile

lubrano

Sep 28, 2005
I’m hearing that the University has settled with the Second Mike and will receive all the “free cash” approximating some $700k+ In addition, Penn State will receive less than $3 million from the Second Mile insurers.

In the settlements PSU made with claimants, the Second Mike was indemnified (as were PSU Trustees). All claimants assigned their respective claims against the Second Mile to PSU.

I would expect the PA AG to
Announce this settlement. I’m not holding my breath that PSU will do the same. That would amount to openness and transparency.

I’m hearing that the University has settled with the Second Mike and will receive all the “free cash” approximating some $700k+ In addition, Penn State will receive less than $3 million from the Second Mile insurers.

In the settlements PSU made with claimants, the Second Mike was indemnified (as were PSU Trustees). All claimants assigned their respective claims against the Second Mile to PSU.

Announce this settlement. I’m not holding my breath that PSU will do the same. That would amount to openness and transparency.

Pennies on the dollar. You can bet that the buttfvcks who control the BoT don't run their personal finances the same way.

Not that I expect this to happen, but could PSU go after Raykovitz for professional negligence?

Raykovitz is still out there doing his thing (in more ways that one), still licensed in PA. Amazing.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Well..... that’s just about EXACTLY what someone told ya’all was gonna’ happen.
Years ago.

Not like it was difficult to see.

And Lubert and Dunham and the whole crew continue to sit in control of PSU - prostituting the University to suit their own self-interests.

And Penn Staters, for the most part, don’t give one damn.
In fact, In just a few weeks they (Penn Staters) will once again elect/re-elect three panty-wastes to “represent their interests” on Penn State’s governance Board.
Heck - maybe they will even elect Baghdad Bob Ballou :)

And then, everyone can act surprised :rolleyes: that things are what they are.
Go figure.
I prefer RAT BAT BLUE as being more accurately descriptive of said candidate...and Ian Gillan does sing "blue" appropriately as a 2 syllable word.

Reactions: massimoManca II
It still amazes me that the settlements indemnified TSM and BoT trustees. They certainly felt they did something wrong and making ridiculous settlements while covering their own asses was the best way to keep the sunlight out.

It makes you wonder what this was really all about in the first place. Were TSM board members personally exposed because of the way their board was set up? And were some of these same people on the PSU board, and saw that shifting the blame would protect them personally?

When will they settle with the alumni? We were told we were the most vile, evil stains walking planet Earth who needed time off from football to get our priorities straight and make a culture adjustment. Thy loyal sons.

It's very telling that PSU cares more about closing the book on the second mile than they do about the endless vitriol heaped upon its people who stood at childhood's gate. They got our money I guess. What a bunch of suckers we were, huh?

Last edited:
we will never find who they are protecting, which is not only sad, but dangerous- because they are still out there

Let’s be real. The people they are protecting are 36 lying pieces of trash who were paid an average of $3 million each.

Are you implying there was some kind of “pedophile ring” going on that the 2nd mile protected? There is no evidence for anything like that whatsoever.

When will they settle with the alumni? We were told we were the most vile, evil stains walking planet Earth who needed time off from football to get our priorities straight and make a culture adjustment. Thy loyal sons.

It's very telling that PSU cares more about closing the book on the second mile than they do about the endless vitriol heaped upon its people who stood at childhood's gate. They got our money I guess. What a bunch of suckers we were, huh?

Several students from one of those colleges caught up in the admissions scam have filed a class action against the school stating their degree is tainted and has less meaning now. Been saying for years that PSU alumni should have done the same. Plenty of examples out there too of how many were treated because of their association to the school.

Will that money go directly to help the athletic department pay of its extortion, I mean loan to pay the fines?

Reactions: AvgUser
FWIW: What do you think is going to happen with that “lawsuit”?

i think they will settle. As if that goes to trial and with all the discovery there will be a whole lot more bodies unearthed who were in on it. So those higher-ups who knew about it and did nothing but are now not known and not implicated will pay off whomever needs to be paid to keep their reputation.

Let’s be real. The people they are protecting are 36 lying pieces of trash who were paid an average of $3 million each.

Are you implying there was some kind of “pedophile ring” going on that the 2nd mile protected? There is no evidence for anything like that whatsoever.
of course there isn't

money fixes everything

One suggestion I read was that the universities who participated in the admissions fiasco would be, if the class action was successful, required to refund the application fees of all the students who were denied admission.

One suggestion I read was that the universities who participated in the admissions fiasco would be, if the class action was successful, required to refund the application fees of all the students who were denied admission.
That will teach them. There’s nothing as painful as being slapped on the wrist with a wet noodle.

There were a lot of politically connected people who had financial dealings with TSM and I doubt many of them had any extensive contact with Sandusky. Still, the guilt by association through TSM could kill political aspirations. Thus the shredder truck and the PSU BoT going to great lengths to protect TSM. I'm sure the politicos paid them back in ways we'll never know about.

Wouldn't the plaintiffs be required to show that the 3 or 4 individuals admitted illicitly, definitely was the "difference" between admission and rejection? Perhaps I'm missing something.....and its likely that admitting a handful of "privileged applicants" had an impact on a few who were rejected. But every candidate?
Also, while this sort of scam is a crime.....it doesn't seem like getting admitted to a school because parents are influential is something new? I'm kinda surprised that Loughlin couldn't just stop by the admissions office and smile. I can tell you it would have done it for me.

Reactions: AvgUser
OMG. That would cost them thousands of dollars. Where would they get the money?? o_O
I only bothered to check one school, USC. Here is their application data:

56,676 Applications
9,042 Admitted

47,634 Rejections x $85 Application Fee = $4,048,890

Per Year that is allowed in the settlement. Oh, and how many schools are involved?

Data from College Board Org "Applying" tab at:
https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/university-of-southern-california?searchtype=college&q=University+of+Southern+California

i think they will settle. As if that goes to trial and with all the discovery there will be a whole lot more bodies unearthed who were in on it. So those higher-ups who knew about it and did nothing but are now not known and not implicated will pay off whomever needs to be paid to keep their reputation.

Maybe, but the plaintiffs better be careful what they wish for. The basis of their suit is that the scandal has tainted their degrees. Finding that the corruption was more extensive reduces the value even further, if their theory holds.

Somehow I doubt that their three bit law team is going to find much more than the FBI did. Keep in mind, that they're working on contingency.

It makes you wonder what this was really all about in the first place. Were TSM board members personally exposed because of the way their board was set up? And were some of these same people on the PSU board, and saw that shifting the blame would protect them personally?
Well, I would say ..........yes! see IRA

And we - collectively - don’t do dick about any of them.

I realize you said "collectively", but what can any of us do individually to get in their way? If I started a smear campaign on social media, even if I told the truth 100% of the time, I'd be sued and likely ruined because I couldn't throw anywhere near as much money at it as any of them.

I only bothered to check one school, USC. Here is their application data:

56,676 Applications
9,042 Admitted

47,634 Rejections x $85 Application Fee = $4,048,890

Per Year that is allowed in the settlement. Oh, and how many schools are involved?

Data from College Board Org "Applying" tab at:
https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/university-of-southern-california?searchtype=college&q=University+of+Southern+California

Except that the students in the suit being discussed already attend Stanford and contend that the scandal has reduced the value of their degrees. How is this "remedy" consistent with the basis of their suit? Can't imagine they'd broaden it to encompass the great unwashed i.e. the rejects.

There is another suit where the mother of a reject is asking for $500 billion (yes, you read that right) for damages that her little precious suffered by not getting into certain schools (though it's not clear to which ones). The suggested settlement might fit this case, but it has less of chance of developing legs than the other.

Yes, the BoT chumped Penn State again. Family and friends off the hook.

Pedophilia my ass. Money laundering.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
That will teach them. There’s nothing as painful as being slapped on the wrist with a wet noodle.
Well it’s hard to prove damages in a case like this. Many class action cases result in very small dollar per claimant settlements as this one is likely to. The suit I was referring to is being brought by students denied admission, not by accepted students claiming their degree is devalued. There are likely to be several different suits representing different classes of individuals.

It still amazes me that the settlements indemnified TSM and BoT trustees. They certainly felt they did something wrong and making ridiculous settlements while covering their own asses was the best way to keep the sunlight out.
The reason PSU took over the victim's claims against TSM at the time they (PSU) were settling with the victims goes like this ...

*Victim A sues PSU "because PSU (i.e Paterno) knew Sandusky was raping boys and did nothing about it because they wanted to protect the football program".
*PSU says "you are right, that's exactly what we did - didn't think we would get caught - how much money do you want?" PSU writes big check to Victim A.
*Victim A cashes check and then sues TSM because they (TSM) knew that JS was raping boys and didn't stop him.
*TSM says "it's not our fault ... it's PSU's fault ... they knew he was raping boys and didn't tell us". So, TSM brings in PSU to their suit.
*PSU says "dang, you are right again, that's exactly what happened ... how much $$ do you want for this second check?"

So, if PSU didn't require the victims to settle with TSM at the same time PSU was writing their settlement check, they could have paid twice as much.

That might have been the only reasonably smart thing they did in the entire saga.

I was replying to the post that was mocking the possibility of having to refund application fees.

These suits are going nowhere. The $500 Bil is getting thrown out before it goes anywhere.

The other one has more of a chance. But but the counter argument is that it was public knowledge before the scandal that every year the schools admit hundreds of less academically qualified applicants:

1. who are bona fide varsity athletes;

2. who are legacies;

3. whose parents in an open and aboveboard manner contribute large sums of money to the schools; and

4. who are underrepresented minorities.

And, yet, with all of this known, the plaintiffs chose to attend those universities.

Reactions: psu7113
Well it’s hard to prove damages in a case like this. Many class action cases result in very small dollar per claimant settlements as this one is likely to. The suit I was referring to is being brought by students denied admission, not by accepted students claiming their degree is devalued. There are likely to be several different suits representing different classes of individuals.

That's the $500 Billion suit. Unless other foo, er, plaintiffs joined that suit over the weekend, it was brought on behalf of one applicant.

The reason PSU took over the victim's claims against TSM at the time they (PSU) were settling with the victims goes like this ...

*Victim A sues PSU "because PSU (i.e Paterno) knew Sandusky was raping boys and did nothing about it because they wanted to protect the football program".
*PSU says "you are right, that's exactly what we did - didn't think we would get caught - how much money do you want?" PSU writes big check to Victim A.
*Victim A cashes check and then sues TSM because they (TSM) knew that JS was raping boys and didn't stop him.
*TSM says "it's not our fault ... it's PSU's fault ... they knew he was raping boys and didn't tell us". So, TSM brings in PSU to their suit.
*PSU says "dang, you are right again, that's exactly what happened ... how much $$ do you want for this second check?"

So, if PSU didn't require the victims to settle with TSM at the same time PSU was writing their settlement check, they could have paid twice as much.

That might have been the only reasonably smart thing they did in the entire saga.

Yeah, if bullet point one was even remotely true, it would have been a smart move. But bullet point one is completely fabricated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT