ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Radio Outlet in Pittsburgh

nits74

May 14, 2010
Well, here we are in late June and as far as I know we still don't have a radio affiliate in Pittsburgh. Anybody know anything more about this?

Unless I'm in my car. It was embarrassing enough when we were on KQV, which was virtually "unlistenable" at night. Now, no station at all at this late stage?

Reactions: nittany dave
Did KQV drop it’s affiliation? It’s still listed on the Learfield site: http://sportsaffiliates.learfield.com/affiliates/penn-state
KQV went off the air. They will supposedly be back on in the Fall under new ownership. From what I understand it will be at reduced power (1000 watts vs. 5,000; and only 75 watts at night. Hell, I have light bulbs in my house stronger than that). Hard for me to believe that the powers that be at Penn State can't come up with a respectable radio outlet in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Get Sirius XM and be done with local radio. Almost all the BIG10 broadcasts are on including ours. $10 a month and usually you can get 3 or 6 months free to start. Cancel after that if you don't like it. Local radio is awful and full of dull call-in shows where you get to listen to six pack joe's pontificate on why they know better than coaches, players etc.

Reactions: stf110
Get Sirius XM and be done with local radio. Almost all the BIG10 broadcasts are on including ours. $10 a month and usually you can get 3 or 6 months free to start. Cancel after that if you don't like it. Local radio is awful and full of dull call-in shows where you get to listen to six pack joe's pontificate on why they know better than coaches, players etc.

Right now Sirius wants me to re-up with them at $5 a month for 6 months.

$30 is not a bad deal.

Reactions: john4psu
KQV went off the air. They will supposedly be back on in the Fall under new ownership. From what I understand it will be at reduced power (1000 watts vs. 5,000; and only 75 watts at night. Hell, I have light bulbs in my house stronger than that). Hard for me to believe that the powers that be at Penn State can't come up with a respectable radio outlet in Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure if this is the actual reason but I remember back around 2000 when the Pittsburgh area did have a radio station, the idiots that be at PSU tried to force them to carry both bball and football they said no and dropped both.
This was also around the same time that Gopsu forced you to pay for Joes call in show. LMAO.

Have it, and have for years. Sometimes have to listen to the opposing team's broadcast, however. And agree with you about local radio. Once you've had Sirius, there is no going back.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I'm not sure if this is the actual reason but I remember back around 2000 when the Pittsburgh area did have a radio station, the idiots that be at PSU tried to force them to carry both bball and football they said no and dropped both.
This was also around the same time that Gopsu forced you to pay for Joes call in show. LMAO.
You are correct, and it was 50,000 Watt clear channel KDKA, which we had for years. The biggest station in Pittsburgh. Stupid move on PSU's part in my opinion. For a short time KDKA did carry both, but the ratings were awful for BB. Imagine that.

UPDATE: Below is a current list of your Pittsburgh-area affiliates:
  • WPIT AM (730) in Pittsburgh
  • WAVL-AM (910) & FM (98.7) in Apollo/Greensburg
  • WISR-AM (680) in Butler.
Thanks, but none can be picked up well in the immediate Pittsburgh area, if at all at night.

You are correct, and it was 50,000 Watt clear channel KDKA, which we had for years. The biggest station in Pittsburgh. Stupid move on PSU's part in my opinion. For a short time KDKA did carry both, but the ratings were awful for BB. Imagine that.

Yea I grew up listening to PSU games on KDKA. I had a transistor radio that I would put outside and rake the leaves and listen to the games. LOL.

Reactions: TheGLOV and nits74
Yea I grew up listening to PSU games on KDKA. I had a transistor radio that I would put outside and rake the leaves and listen to the games. LOL.
I did as well. Those were the days when a televised game was a big deal.

I did as well. Those were the days when a televised game was a big deal.

Yea what was it 1 national and maybe a regional?
I know that their were a couple stations would carry some of their games. I think it was TCS.
Then on Sunday, after church, it was go home and watch the TV QB's show and the later version. They pretty much showed all the scoring drives and good defensive stands but that was it. Oh back then a sports section in a newspaper was actually a good thing and an enjoyable read.

93.7 THE FAN touts itself as the premiere sports station in the Pittsburgh area. They currently carry the hapless Pirates and putrid pitt basketball and football. If they had any sense at all they would dump the Pirates and pitt while picking up the Steelers and/or Penguins plus Penn State sports. It would be a major upgrade to the station.

93.7 THE FAN touts itself as the premiere sports station in the Pittsburgh area. They currently carry the hapless Pirates and putrid pitt basketball and football. If they had any sense at all they would dump the Pirates and pitt while picking up the Steelers and/or Penguins plus Penn State sports. It would be a major upgrade to the station.
When it comes to Pitt football, "93.7 THE FAN" is the perfect name for the station. One singular fan is likely all that's listening.

Reactions: psu00 and LemonEars
You make it sound so easy...

Dumping the pitters and picking up Penn State sports would likely be easy. Penn State would jump at the chance to get off the low output AM stations in Western Pa and get on a station that broadcasts throughout the area. Picking up the Pens or the Steelers would be a lot harder.

Hah, right. Although I think (and I can't find anything online that indicates otherwise) that 2018 is the final year of a 3-year deal between the Steelrers and IHeart to carry the games on WDVE. So those rights may be up for grab at the moment to the highest bidder.

If 93.7 DID get those rights, they'd probably have to dump the Pirates, though. I'm sure the Pirates wouldn't want to be relegated to the AM side on fall Sundays when both teams are playing, even though in this case moving to AM would mean being back on a 50,000 watt clear channel station in KDKA-AM.

Hah, right. Although I think (and I can't find anything online that indicates otherwise) that 2018 is the final year of a 3-year deal between the Steelrers and IHeart to carry the games on WDVE. So those rights may be up for grab at the moment to the highest bidder.

If 93.7 DID get those rights, they'd probably have to dump the Pirates, though. I'm sure the Pirates wouldn't want to be relegated to the AM side on fall Sundays when both teams are playing, even though in this case moving to AM would mean being back on a 50,000 watt clear channel station in KDKA-AM.
Being back on KDKA AM full time wouldn't hurt the Bucs at all. That's where they were for most of their time. And I'd love it if Penn State were also back on "The Big K". Of course there would occasionally be a conflict then on Saturdays in the fall. Could be solved by farming one to one of the other CBS stations.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT