ADVERTISEMENT

penn state practice helmets

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I keep looking at these helmets and thinking "where the F is the NCAA?" If there is any real truth to the "protect the athlete" words, why are these helmet protections NOT in place for games? I've wondered, on this board, several times why helmets don't have some layer of cushion, like dashboards on a car. Even a 1/4 inch layer of a leatherette surface would greatly reduce the concussive impact of a helmet-to-helmet hit. These helmets have been purposely manufactured to be hard as rock so the player can dish out as much damage as he possibly can with his head. why do helmet protocols allow these issues to persist?

FPvxIwPUYAcyOob

Reactions: Steve G
Those aren’t helmets. They are Guardian caps that attached to the standard helmet via snaps and Velcro. Yes they work. When I was coaching we used them and saw a decline of concussions at practice of about 50%. The only negative we had is they last about 2 seasons then need replaced. But they work and we were very happy with them.

I posted the same question here years ago. If those caps improve safety, why aren't they worn all the time during games? Doesn't make any sense to have safety protocols that exist in practice only.

Those aren’t helmets. They are Guardian caps that attached to the standard helmet via snaps and Velcro. Yes they work. When I was coaching we used them and saw a decline of concussions at practice of about 50%. The only negative we had is they last about 2 seasons then need replaced. But they work and we were very happy with them.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-padded-helmets-guardian-caps-20210813-74a4fmvv4rbobhk7f6jdz25tny-story.html#:~:text=They're%20called%20Guardian%20Caps,the%20repetitive%20blows%20of%20football.

Why not add an outer shell that is designed to crack to dissipate the energy of the impact? If your shell cracks then you automatically exit the field and get concussion tested before you can reenter the game. If guys crack helmets a lot it means that they aren't tackling correctly. Missing plays for concussion testing and fitting a new shell is a deterrent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT