ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State players react to the 24-10 loss to Arkansas in the Outback Bowl

DE/LB JESSE LUKETA​

On his assessment of the defensive while missing six starters

"I think we played a great defensive game.

Give up 350yds rushing and Jesse think they played a great defensive game. "Houston, I think we have found our problem. "
Jesse played a very good game…but our other best 5 players sat it out…what did everyone expect…Arkansas is not a good team, but they are not a bottom dweller either…we were also without our best weapon on O.

Last edited:
Reactions: psualt
Jesse plate a very good game…but our other best 5 players sat it out…what did everyone expect…Arkansas is not a good team, but they are not a bottom dweller either…we were also without our best weapon on O.

It is what is it. Yes we were down 5 players but don't come out tell people the defense played a "great" game when you opponent dominated you with rushing for 350 yrds. Talk about handing out participation trophies.

It is what is it. Yes we were down 5 players but don't come out tell people the defense played a "great" game when you opponent dominated you with rushing for 350 yrds. Talk about handing out participation trophies.
Can’t argue with that…defense was bullied in second half…when will the fans tire of this??…now we know how Pitt, West Virgina, Temple, Boston College, Rutgers, Syracuse felt playing us during Joe’s tenure…must say, it does not feel good getting sand kicked in our face.

This program is in a death spiral…need a new coach and tough players that want to play football…

Can’t argue with that…defense was bullied in second half…when will the fans tire of this??…now we know how Pitt, West Virgina, Temple, Boston College, Rutgers, Syracuse felt playing us during Joe’s tenure…must say, it does not feel good getting sand kicked in our face.

This program is in a death spiral…need a new coach and tough players that want to play football…
The program is in a death spiral? Wow.

Reactions: blmr31

Get off the ledge. We had a really good defense this year, but not a lot of depth. In part due to players leaving early for the NFL. Losing Mustipher really hurt with our run defense this year. Take away several other starters and this was a bad matchup for us in terms of our defense and their offense. We didn't have a running game this year and losing Dotson for the bowl game hurt our offense. But things should be better in 2022 and beyond. We have two of the top young running backs in the country coming in and the top pro-style QB along with some good receivers. We have the top defensive end prospect in the country coming in. We're also recruiting well for the following class. Probably the biggest disappointment to me today was Clifford forcing some throws, but pressure can do that to any QB. He has to play better than this next year.

Arkansas had a nice team this year. I think we had a good chance of winning with all our starters, but this was too much of a disadvantage.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Jesse played a very good game…but our other best 5 players sat it out…what did everyone expect…Arkansas is not a good team, but they are not a bottom dweller either…we were also without our best weapon on O.
He made two nice plays early that were virtually identical in the right flat. He was his usual MIA as a middle linebacker the rest of the game as we repeatedly got gouged for huge gains inside. He’s a DE and a pretty good one, and playing him at LB did little good for him or the team.

Reactions: blmr31
He made two nice plays early that were virtually identical in the right flat. He was his usual MIA as a middle linebacker the rest of the game as we repeatedly got gouged for huge gains inside. He’s a DE and a pretty good one, and playing him at LB did little good for him or the team.
A fair point.

Reactions: Omar81
Well so was Arkansas without their best weapon, also a receiver that opted out.

No comparison…if you add in TCF, Walker, etc, we were missing half our starters.

Not making excuses, but we need players, not “opt-outers”.

Ans we desperately need a new HFC.

Just commenting that each team lost their best Offensive weapon.

The problem as I see it is a piss poor offensive line and nothing will change until the coaches start recruiting better OLs and provide them with good coaching. Clifford is just an average QB at best.

Yes,, the OL and the OL coaching is a major issue. Maybe strength training as well. The OC coach has been highly rated. But I don't understand the 30 seconds each play when we showed improvement on a quick count. I did not see many screen plays or throws to tight ends over the middle. Am I wrong about that?

Drama Queen alert.

The only defensive stat that matters is points allowed. A defense missing six starters that held the opponent to twenty four points was not the reason they lost.

Reactions: cyrizzle
Get off the ledge. We had a really good defense this year, but not a lot of depth. In part due to players leaving early for the NFL. Losing Mustipher really hurt with our run defense this year. Take away several other starters and this was a bad matchup for us in terms of our defense and their offense. We didn't have a running game this year and losing Dotson for the bowl game hurt our offense. But things should be better in 2022 and beyond. We have two of the top young running backs in the country coming in and the top pro-style QB along with some good receivers. We have the top defensive end prospect in the country coming in. We're also recruiting well for the following class. Probably the biggest disappointment to me today was Clifford forcing some throws, but pressure can do that to any QB. He has to play better than this next year.

Arkansas had a nice team this year. I think we had a good chance of winning with all our starters, but this was too much of a disadvantage.
What the hell is wrong with you? You are trying to be calm and use logic, rational analysis, and reason!?!?! How dare you!

The problem as I see it is a piss poor offensive line and nothing will change until the coaches start recruiting better OLs and provide them with good coaching. Clifford is just an average QB at best.
Average is a generous grade . Especially when his game experience is factored into the equation . Would CV have put up at least 10 pts? Darn tooting he would have scored at least 10.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
A death spiral is a little over the top, but those of you that think this program is in good shape are in denial. Back to back seasons giving an 11-11 record is not good for inspiring hope that things are going to be good in the future. It is starting a pattern of decline. Yes the incoming recruiting class does bring some hope, but unfortunately we are stuck with the same coaching staff who has shown a lack of ability to develop players, scheme for opponents, make in game and halftime adjustments, manage the clock and in general make competent field decisions. Unless the entire Alabama team enters the portal and transfers to Penn State, there will not be enough talent on the team to overcome the coaching problems. Some of you people on this board need to take off your blue and white colored glasses and return to reality. Penn State under the current regime is not going to be much better than mediocre in a good year.

ADVERTISEMENT