ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State opts out of bowl per gopsusports.com***

I can see your players point of view. Let's just get this season over with and put asterisks nest to 2020 league and national champion. 2020 has been a mess. Hopefully, we have this Covid crap under control (or somewhat under control) by the start of 2021 and get back to real football

No asterisks.

Teams that won put out the effort, faced the same challenges as the losers, and found a way to success.

Look at what we have at the top now. The same teams we would have had without Covid. Elite coaches, elite players, and elite programs.

Losers find a way to lose. Anyone who has ever competed for anything in sports, business or life knows that.

Total, absolute, speculation.

More excuse making.

Tom Herman and Kirk Ferentz did not make any excuses. They just went Out and won.
Tom Herman was history if Urbs wanted to return. Funny you have an affinity for coaches who are on the hot seat. Why didn't you throw in Gussie?

No asterisks.

Teams that won put out the effort, faced the same challenges as the losers, and found a way to success.

Look at what we have at the top now. The same teams we would have had without Covid. Elite coaches, elite players, and elite programs.

Losers find a way to lose. Anyone who has ever competed for anything in sports, business or life knows that.
elite fans who know their shit and post it........lol

Easy cowboy. Did you watch the game? The play was poor by PSU’s standards. The same mistakes we saw all year but covered by the fact of superior talent and an even further lack of effort by Illinois.

I am not trashing the team for not wanting to compete. They made the decision not to compete - pretty simple. Their decision and I fully support it (not that that matters). Just happen to disagree with it (just like you disagree with me - but I don’t feel that makes you a bad person).

And you are a fan, you aren't involved in the program.. The players and coaches are. If their decision upsets you that much, there are other programs to root for. Like I said nobody will care cause you are a nobody.

Reactions: marshall23
And you are a fan, you aren't involved in the program.. The players and coaches are. If their decision upsets you that much, there are other programs to root for. Like I said nobody will care cause you are a nobody.
Please!

No asterisks.

Wrong again sport....not all teams faced the same challenges. The Big and PAC 12 were the only co Terence to cancel the season then change their minds later. They then started later....that change in mindset and timing makes all the difference in the world.

Reactions: Obliviax
You are what your record says you are. Arrogance is not a good look for this Penn State squad.
Ridiculous, and dare I say arrogant, post, considering we are all blindly speculating on this subject.

Here is another couch warrior. A guy living with his family that gets to see them daily. Again, this was voted on by our student athletes. Respect their decision to go see their families instead of playing in a game none of them care about anyways.

Seriously, if your life is so tied up in kids playing in a meaningless exhibition game then maybe it’s time for you to reevaluate your life or go root for another team cause apparently Penn State doesn’t do it right in your eyes. Oh yeah, this all based on the decision from young men who you don’t know.

Seriously Tom time for you to take out the trash on this board. These clowns that continue to take shots at our coaches and kids is ridiculous.
BeaverLion why denigrate Mac Nit, I know why. People have opinions and you suggest he is an armchair QB and trash. I don't know who he is but I for certainly no I am not these adjectives and I can agree with the Mac Man. It's not surprising that enough of the team would have decided not to play but simply quit, look at the season. If you were to take a silent poll you would have found there were plenty who wanted to play . I would be curious what method was used to come to this decision and the coaches giving them the option speaks loudly looks like our season. I am certain if it was a bigger, more prestigious, lucrative bowl game this team would have not been given a choice. Penn State football was not going to be offered a great bowl based on this years performance, that's what happens. Every year people cite the importance of playing in a bowl for the sheer fact that the team will gain additional practices, I guess that doesn't matter now. At the end of the day the team is who they are. In my opinion choosing not to compete in the extended season says...... It's a mistake.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
FC: Nebraska Fightin' FOIAs are opting out too....wonder how long it will take for a player to sue the school for not wanting to play in a bowl game?

Last edited by a moderator:
FC: Nebraska Fightin' FOIAs are opting out oo....

Outrage.....is Scott Frost's family behind this.....saving money on a bowl clause.....Huskers are ducking their committment to their fans.....if they didn't want to miss Christmas with their families, they should not have accepted scholarships....is the locker room divided, without leadership? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Does anyone have info re process for BIG sharing bowl revenues this year? Wonder if teams who voluntarily opted not to play in a bowl will get a percentage of league funds however merger that is this year.

BeaverLion why denigrate Mac Nit, I know why. People have opinions and you suggest he is an armchair QB and trash. I don't know who he is but I for certainly no I am not these adjectives and I can agree with the Mac Man. It's not surprising that enough of the team would have decided not to play but simply quit, look at the season. If you were to take a silent poll you would have found there were plenty who wanted to play . I would be curious what method was used to come to this decision and the coaches giving them the option speaks loudly looks like our season. I am certain if it was a bigger, more prestigious, lucrative bowl game this team would have not been given a choice. Penn State football was not going to be offered a great bowl based on this years performance, that's what happens. Every year people cite the importance of playing in a bowl for the sheer fact that the team will gain additional practices, I guess that doesn't matter now. At the end of the day the team is who they are. In my opinion choosing not to compete in the extended season says...... It's a mistake.
They’re not going to get that many more practices like they would in a normal year. Plus, who knows how effective those practices are under Covid rules. Nothing will be lost by them choosing not to play except the fans not getting to watch one more game....in the big picture, that’s not a big deal.

I guess the football fisters firsters would have been fine if the stated reason for the bowl opt-out was that the 4-5 record did not meet the program’s standard for earning a bowl bid. Football matters. F*ck family.

How much of our success over the last 4 games can be attributed to the quality of our opponent? A bad Illinois team with so many of their players missing wasn't much of a test.

How much of our success over the last 4 games can be attributed to the quality of our opponent? A bad Illinois team with so many of their players missing wasn't much of a test.
Hard to say...you have to beat who you play. I would guess that Maryland and Nebraska, both teams we lost to earlier in the season, weren’t any better than the four teams we beat...so I would say we definitely got better.

I wondering if some of these schools would have lost money by playing....

As far as I am concerned, play the big bowls and cancel the rest. Maybe just the three for the championship. Assuming they even get played.

Michigan State beat Northwestern, Illinois beat Nebraska, Rutgers beat Maryland.....
Not like any of the last three couldn't win a game......2020 man.

Michigan State beat Northwestern, Illinois beat Nebraska, Rutgers beat Maryland.....
Not like any of the last three couldn't win a game......2020 man.

And Michigan beat Minnesota.

Outside of Ohio State, Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa, all the other Big Ten teams seem equally mediocre. And we more or less beat Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
As a former PSU athlete, I don't understand why an athlete would want to turn down another opportunity to compete; particularly a senior for his last opportunity to do so. A likely lifetime regret.
Right. If I were a player, especially a senior, And we just won 4 straight, I would want that chance to win and go out 5-5, instead of going out with a losing record. Covid was a real challenge and it has been a screwy season.but I could understand deciding not to play in a Bowl if you were deciding in early Dec, and you weee looking at another 30 days of practice. But it is already Dec 20, so you would only have another 20 or 11 days of practice before the Bowl game, not 30.

They tried to limit the interaction among players to stop the spread. If you for example break them into groups of 10 you can try to limit the infection to that group and not spread to all 100. My understanding was food was served take out and they didn’t eat together. Meeting were kept to small groups. Weight room was done in small groups ect.

I rememeber either after the 4th or 5th loss they had a team wide meeting, and it was mentioned that it was the 1st time other than on a game day that the entire team had been together since before the Pandemic started.

I think they said for practices they had the team divided up into 3 chunks who would practice in different locations and times, so in the event there was someone who got it, it would minimize taking out a whole position group or being concentrated to only one side of the ball.

And most of these teams are going to not get the usual number of extra practices in you get for a Bowl due to time constraints, it's already the 20th for one thing, and those who do opt for a bowl are going to be flying out the day before and back the day after, so basically it's just another non conference game, just at a neutral site.

And lets not pretend this is just a PSU thing, we are up to something like 20+ teams already who have opted out, many of them from the P5 conferences.

Perhaps I should have not deleted the following sentence from my original post: ”In my opinion, any comparison of sports to military service is demeaning to the military.”

Just because most student athletes will never know the sacrifice of military service does not mean that their lower level of sacrifice this season should be written off as soft and not enough. They should not be forced to play in a bowl game just because a one time rule change allows losing teams to play in a bowl after having just played an extra, made up game that was also the result of a one time rule change.

As much as I love Penn State, the team does not deserve to go to a bowl game. Frankly, at least half of the bowl games should be eliminated, but that is an entirely different topic.
We agree on the bowl game lunacy. And you get a bowl. And you get a bowl. I do however, think this team was soft. We we weak up the middle on defense. On both offense and defense we were horrible in the red zone. Those can be lack of talent, lack of heart, and lack of focus.

I don't think we lacked talent although we did lose some great players heading into this season. But I definitely think this team lacked heart and focus. There was plenty of individual celebration (some very off putting) with tackles 7 yards downfield. A lot of me, me, me starting with guys hanging with Parsons who left the rest of his brothers for California. There was plenty of preseason focus on non-football related things. The guys physically looked soft. Teams pushed them around for the first half of the season to include Maryland. They had one stolen from them, then were beaten by Ohio St, and then basically just felt sorry for themselves for a few games.

I hope the attitude on this team changes because they absolutely were soft this year. Some of that was being tentative. Some of it was being fragile mentally with a couple of losses. But they either are going to look in the mirror and decide that isn't what they want to be and stop protesting, activism, worrying about who isn't with the team anymore or they are going to be soft next season. And if they are soft next season, then they've made it a habit and the next step is making it just who they are. I think they can turn it around if they want to and rededicate themselves. I think they have enough talent to do that. But talent alone doesn't do it.

Right. If I were a player, especially a senior, And we just won 4 straight, I would want that chance to win and go out 5-5, instead of going out with a losing record. Covid was a real challenge and it has been a screwy season.but I could understand deciding not to play in a Bowl if you were deciding in early Dec, and you weee looking at another 30 days of practice. But it is already Dec 20, so you would only have another 20 or 11 days of practice before the Bowl game, not 30.

Unless you were a senior with top half of the draft stock, then most likely you would be opting out of a bowl anyway.

In my opinion practices in December in preparation for a bowl opponent are worthless concerning next years team.

Reactions: Thomas1945
I think there is a lot of revisionist history on this board regarding the Maryland game itself. PSU was down 28-7 at half and 35-7 in the 3rd quarter. Maryland basically went into a shell in the 2nd half because they didn’t need to take any chances. Are they better now...who knows? but they put it on PSU that day. IMO, if we look back at games PSU should have won...Indiana (set the tone for the season unfortunately) and maybe Nebraska but PSU made those silly mistakes and turnovers that cost them that game. I know it’s cliche..but as Parcells said...you are what your record says you are.

In my opinion practices in December in preparation for a bowl opponent are worthless concerning next years team.
Especially considering that it is already 12/20....how many practices would there have been and the restrictive nature of the type of practices conducted due to covid....worthless is a good evaluation.

How dare you say that! Years ago talking heads or mindless sports writers decided the vital importance of these practices regarding success in the following season. Also incoming freshmen and injured players unable to participate who will be impact players the following year are improved via osmosis.

Reactions: stf110
How dare you say that! Years ago talking heads or mindless sports writers decided the vital importance of these practices regarding success in the following season. Also incoming freshmen and injured players unable to participate who will be impact players the following year are improved via osmosis.
You are coming along nicely.

Playing Marshall or Wake Forest might have something to do with the vote.
And the fact that everyone else so far in the league including Indiana, Iowa and Northwestern opted out, put pressure on PSU. Looks bad going after Wake Forest or Marshall in a minor bowl in any event, looks even worse when teams with winning records decide to stay home.

I always thought the practices were mostly better for the coaching staff for being able to try out some stuff and see how it went, then anything positive for the players.

Seeing as about 1/4ish of the team was going to be graduated/transferred/out of eligibility by next year, and 1/4ish of next year's team is still in high school or playing elsewhere currently.

Tough call. I can see the not wanting to continue being separated from families and practicing for a game that won’t mean much. Also players having to practice and play in a bowl game without the extra experiences that normally accompany a bowl game.

I also see missed opportunities for more practices and another game for players returning that will benefit them. For the players in their last year of eligibility they would get more film for the NFL, and for those not destined to play in the League, a final game before they become an ex-football player the rest of their lives.

No bowl.....tempest in a teapot. The real weeping and gnashing of teeth due to begin as soon as later today (rush on portal).

Unless you were a senior with top half of the draft stock, then most likely you would be opting out of a bowl anyway.
I would think the seniors with no shot at the NFL , knowing it would be their last chance to play a football game, would have voted to go bowling

I would think the seniors with no shot at the NFL , knowing it would be their last chance to play a football game, would have voted to go bowling
Every senior who is in the lineup THINKS they can make it in the NFL.....

Ah,you can go no further than Coach Franklin as quoted prior t o the 2014 bowl. He stated "These bowl practices will be really valuable in terms of getting ready for our opponent, but also building for our future and development." Quoted Dec 6, 2014 by Greg Pickel on PennLive.

The fan boys who defend Franklin at all turns, who find missing bowl time this year as no problem, can take it up with Coach. Likely we will read more painful excuses.

And the fact that everyone else so far in the league including Indiana, Iowa and Northwestern opted out, put pressure on PSU. Looks bad going after Wake Forest or Marshall in a minor bowl in any event, looks even worse when teams with winning records decide to stay home.
Not sure what you mean - PSU was the first B1G team to opt out, followed by Nebraska, Michigan State, and Minnesota. I don't think the teams you mentioned have said anything.

Don’t know about NW opting out. Just watched Fitzgerald’s post game presser and he was pumped about playing and hopefully winning a bowl game .
Don’t think Indiana is opting out either . Hoosier best writer a few hours ago .
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-bowl-game-history-results
Don’t see the Hawkeyes on the opting out list either .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT