ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State opens as 3.5-point favorite...bet down to 3; Michigan 7.5-point underdog

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Some early money coming in on Penn State. It will be interesting to watch the movement of this line. I'm guessing it will be in the direction of Penn State.

Meanwhile, Michigan is getting 7.5-8 points, depending on the book. At Circa it's 9 in fact. Maybe I'm the only person in the country who thinks Georgia is overrated.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Not sure where you are looking at Jerry

Reactions: Jerry
Holy crap, sorry, guys...I got my lines crossed. No idea how in the world I read it backwards on the Vegas Insider site. Unless it was initially listed in error there. Yup, that must be the ticket. Their mistake. ;)

But seriously, that complicates things. Penn State getting 3.5 seemed like an early Christmas gift!

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister

Not sure where you are looking at Jerry

OK, I've duly corrected the subject line. Down the memory hole my blunder goes...

Some early money coming in on Penn State. It will be interesting to watch the movement of this line. I'm guessing it will be in the direction of Penn State.

Meanwhile, Michigan is getting 7.5-8 points, depending on the book. At Circa it's 9 in fact. Maybe I'm the only person in the country who thinks Georgia is overrated.
Penn State should be the favourite. Arkansas is a paper tiger. They haven’t beaten anyone of note. I would expect the line to up as more money goes to State.

Michigan on the other hand is a different story. Georgia played a pathetically weak schedule, even by SEC standards. Four wins over teams with winning records, the best two (Clemson, Kentucky at 9-3) do not have a win over a team with a winning record. The other two are not much better. In reality, UGA’s beat win is 6-6. It gets uglier for UGA when you dig into the offense they have played. Hint, hardly a murders row.

Michigan is the better team, played a much harder schedule and has a better defense. Take them to cover and win outright.

Penn State should be the favourite. Arkansas is a paper tiger. They haven’t beaten anyone of note. I would expect the line to up as more money goes to State.

Michigan on the other hand is a different story. Georgia played a pathetically weak schedule, even by SEC standards. Four wins over teams with winning records, the best two (Clemson, Kentucky at 9-3) do not have a win over a team with a winning record. The other two are not much better. In reality, UGA’s beat win is 6-6. It gets uglier for UGA when you dig into the offense they have played. Hint, hardly a murders row.

Michigan is the better team, played a much harder schedule and has a better defense. Take them to cover and win outright.

Michigan is a tempting proposition as a 7-8 point underdog.

As always, the SEC is top-heavy and benefits, as always, from divisional alignments and scheduling strategies that are a lot smarter than the stupid B1G.

So it's going to be an interesting game. If the SEC propaganda has any basis in reality, Michigan has no chance against big bad Georgia.

In any case, people like me who have no use for either Michigan or the SEC have no serious rooting interest in the game. But from a betting perspective...different story.

My heart is with Penn State but my money will go with the Razorbacks in the "Opening Act" of a full day of football.

... as much as despise UM
Agree U GA is indeed a paper tiger.

I take UM to cover.

Hard to figure how to position yourself... no one knows who does/doesn't play. Arkansas comes with everyone and we're missing 7-8 starters... ruh roh. Or vice versa.

That said, i'm looking at that pitt v msu game and thinking 2 things... first, we're playing on NYD and they are ranked 12th, the acc champs, and playing on the 30th... second, absent a driving snowstorm (i make the joke), pitt will torch the msu secondary (which we would have done in better conditions, imo), so that -4.5 looks good. Maybe. lol.

Edit: BTW, I know I'll probably upset some Georgians here but frankly, a "holiday" in Atlanta is hardly a personal preference. Aside from it being Atlanta... the weather is cold (50's and 30s) and typically gray ... now in Tampa, look for mid 70's and sunshine. Choices choices.... lol

Now watch them have an indian summer in december and tampa get hit with a hurricane....

Last edited:
Michigan is a tempting proposition as a 7-8 point underdog.

As always, the SEC is top-heavy and benefits, as always, from divisional alignments and scheduling strategies that are a lot smarter than the stupid B1G.

So it's going to be an interesting game. If the SEC propaganda has any basis in reality, Michigan has no chance against big bad Georgia.

In any case, people like me who have no use for either Michigan or the SEC have no serious rooting interest in the game. But from a betting perspective...different story.
I would put money on scUM. That is a lot of points for UGA to cover.

LOL. Come back here after Arkansas puts up 200 yards rushing and 250 yards passing on us. I've watched every single game for both teams this year. Arkansas was shell-shocked at UGA. They were in every other game. They dominated Texas A&M and took #1 Alabama down to the last minute. That game was played at Alabama. I honestly don't think this one will be close.

Meat is not going to beat UGa. I've known since you started posting that you were a poser, fraud PSU fan, but wasn't sure which douche program you rooted for (i.e., ASWP, MeatChicken, duhO$U, etc....). Pretty clear which one it is after this delusional post. You got to be a glutton for punishment to bet scUM playing outside the b1g and their security blanket corrupt b1g Officiating. scUM's bowl record is putrid, and it's only getting worse this year as they aren't going to be able to run the ball on UGa who has one of best, if not the best, Front-7s in the nation and their passing game sucks, especially in comparison to Bama's, which is the only thing that enabled Bama to beat UGa (as anyone who watched the game realizes).

Last edited:

Just read arkansas played the toughest schedule in the nation (over on 247)... won 8. And is pissed they aren't playing a ranked team in the citrus bowl. Not sure they are the def of a paper tiger.

Just read arkansas played the toughest schedule in the nation (over on 247)... won 8. And is pissed they aren't playing a ranked team in the citrus bowl. Not sure they are the def of a paper tiger.
Probably the same group that rated Bama as having played the fourth when they were closer to 40th than 1st.

Meat is not going to beat UGa. I've known since you staeted posting that you were a poser, fraud PSU fan, but wasn't sure which douche program you rooted for (i.e., ASWP, MeatChicken, duhO$U, etc....). Pretty clear which one it is after this delusional post. You got to be a glutton for punishment to bet scUM playing outside the b1g and their security blanket corrupt b1g Officiating. scUM's bowl record is putrid, and it's only getting worse this year as they aren't going to be able to run the ball on UGa who has one of best, if not the best, Front-7s in the nation and their passing game sucks, especially in comparison to Bama's, which is the only thing that enabled Bama to beat UGa (as anyone who watched the game realizes).
Unlike you I actually graduated from Penn State. I am not a walmart lion like you.

Unlike you I actually graduated from Penn State. I am not a walmart lion like you.

Too funny, you couldn't be any more wrong, as per usual (not only did I graduate from PSU, but have 4 other direct family members that have PSU Degrees as well). Your bs claim is the typical claim of a poser.... do tell, what is the name of the house across the street from West Halls - and who used to live there?

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Too funny, you couldn't be any more wrong, as per usual (not only did I graduate from PSU, but have 4 other direct family members that have PSU Degrees as well). Your bs claim is the typical claim of a poser.... do tell, what is the name of the house across the street from West Halls - and who used to live there?
You mean the one that is kitty corner (or katty corner if you are from SE PA) now a plaza because it was built on a sink hole? Or the scumbags that live in from of Rec? Regardless, the University should exercise its authority and kick all frats off campus where the belong and do something useful with the properties.

You mean the one that is kitty corner (or katty corner if you are from SE PA) now a plaza because it was built on a sink hole? Or the scumbags that live in from of Rec? Regardless, the University should exercise its authority and kick all frats off campus where the belong and do something useful with the properties.

Not referring to a Frat of any kind dipshit. I'm referring to a property that is owned by the University.

By the way, the term is "catty-corner" (including hyphen), not katty corner and it has nothing to do with SE Pennsylvania.... that's the actual term as listed in Meriam-Webster's Dictionary. Both terms are listed in Meriam-Websters as acceptable usage to describe the diagonal corner from your position. I don't know of any Frat house that would be described as catty-corner to West Halls - Willard Building would be catty-corner, but it is a building full of classrooms.

• Love
By the way, the term is "catty-corner" (including hyphen), not katty corner and it has nothing to do with SE Pennsylvania.... that's the actual term as listed in Meriam-Webster's Dictionary. Both terms are listed in Meriam-Websters as acceptable usage to describe the diagonal corner from your position. I don't know of any Frat house that would be described as catty-corner to West Halls - Willard Building would be catty-corner, but it is a building full of classrooms.

There is a residential home directly across from West Halls (not directly on street) and a well-known resident used to occupy it.... which you would know if you had any clue whatsoever what you're talking about.

In truth, folks here might do well to check out the 'backs backfield. They are big and fast, starting with their 6'3 245 QB with a ton of experience who is an excellent runner and accurate tosser. This ain't gonna be a walk in the park... imo, of course.

Huh??? UGa has beaten 3 teams currently ranked in CFP Rankings - Clemson, Arkansas, Kentucky. Pretty sure MeatChicken has only beat 2 teams in those rankings.

• Love
Opening up as a favorite doesn't do JF any favors. If PSU opens as a big underdog and hangs with the Hawgs in a close loss or even an outright win, the team can take some optimism into next year. If we are favored and lose, it will be tougher to reverse the downward trend. This bowl game might be a window into how JF and the players handle adversity and what carries into next year. The worst thing would be to come into the game flat and low energy. I believe a coach can really have a meaningful impact on that particular element of the game. Let's go Lions, slop those hawgs.

OK, I've duly corrected the subject line. Down the memory hole my blunder goes...

It turns out I'm not going crazy. Vegas Insider did the same thing on the Rose Bowl game, initially getting it backwards on Ohio State-Utah by listing the Utes as a 7-point favorite...as per SoParkLion's thread started Sunday evening here and Auxgym's later post: My apologies....Las Vegas odds website did have some teams listed backwards previously...

Wow. That's a pretty serious hiccup at VI's site. Maybe they should figure out what's going wrong and why their first listing of at least two betting lines was the reverse of reality.

In the case of the Outback, let's face it, Penn State being a 3-point underdog would perhaps be surprising to some but certainly no shocker. However, the idea of Utah being a TD-favorite over the Bucks...yeah...pretty ridiculous.

It turns out I'm not going crazy. Vegas Insider did the same thing on the Rose Bowl game, initially getting it backwards on Ohio State-Utah by listing the Utes as a 7-point favorite...as per SoParkLion's thread started Sunday evening here and Auxgym's later post: My apologies....Las Vegas odds website did have some teams listed backwards previously...

Wow. That's a pretty serious hiccup at VI's site. Maybe they should figure out what's going wrong and why their first listing of at least two betting lines was the reverse of reality.

In the case of the Outback, let's face it, Penn State being a 3-point underdog would perhaps be surprising to some but certainly no shocker. However, the idea of Utah being a TD-favorite over the Bucks...yeah...pretty ridiculous.

Not to me...

I think that Arkansas beats us pretty handily. We will not run the ball on Arkansas and will be a pass only team. Arkansas will move the ball via the air and the ground against our DEF....who will get worn down in the second half. I am as big a homer as anyone, but think that a big powerful running team that can throw is exactly what we have had trouble with.......hope that I am wrong, but the more physical team usually wins and in this case, it is not close from my perspective who the more physical team is. Our hope is that the offense gets some rest and gets some semblance of a running game and that we win the turnover battle.

Doubt that we see Dotson......Brisker may sit.......

I think that Arkansas beats us pretty handily. We will not run the ball on Arkansas and will be a pass only team. Arkansas will move the ball via the air and the ground against our DEF....who will get worn down in the second half. I am as big a homer as anyone, but think that a big powerful running team that can throw is exactly what we have had trouble with.......hope that I am wrong, but the more physical team usually wins and in this case, it is not close from my perspective who the more physical team is. Our hope is that the offense gets some rest and gets some semblance of a running game and that we win the turnover battle.

Doubt we see you. Lol

I ran an analysis on Arkansas's schedule. They played a murderers row of toddlers with sporks. They have three wins against teams with .500 or better records and lost to the goodish teams they did play. Two winning, one even and Arkansas played a harder schedule than Georgia.

1. Texas A&M - 8-4 with wins over 7-6 Kent State, 6-6 Mizzou, 6-6 Auburn, 7-5 Prairie View A&M but a fluke win over 12-1 Alabama and losses to every other team with a pulse.
2. Mississippi State - 7-5 with a win over 9-3 NC State who beat one team with a winning record (Clemson) who didn't beat a team with a winning record.
3. Missouri - 6-6 with wins over 8-4 Central Michigan and 6-6 North Texas.

This is par for the course down in SEC land. Try digging into Georgia's schedule.

Ohio State would have matched up better with Georgia on a neutral slick phast phield playoph shoot out type atmosphere. Michigan's offense could be in jeapordy of looking real stale real quick, then again even Bama was getting some good gash runs on Georgia and their run has been mediocre 4 bama this year. UM doesnt churn out 3 and outs they could definitely win a close game that flips on D or ST.

Arkansas has some NFL journeyman types in the front 7 but their pass D should be picked apart.

PSU 45 Ark ??

ADVERTISEMENT