ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State on verge of top-five recruiting class after latest commitment

Long ways to go until Mid December.
True and that's the reason - right now - that I only pay attention to the average rating per recruit as some schools have many more commitments right now than others which shoots them up the rankings. Some of the heavyweight recruiting schools have a ton of their bigtime prospects still deciding. Alabama is especially a slow starter - every year - and then in a few weeks time (close to signing day) BOOM, they get about a zillion bluechip recruits in a few weeks and blow past everyone in the rankings

True and that's the reason - right now - that I only pay attention to the average rating per recruit as some schools have many more commitments right now than others which shoots them up the rankings. Some of the heavyweight recruiting schools have a ton of their bigtime prospects still deciding. Alabama is especially a slow starter - every year - and then in a few weeks time (close to signing day) BOOM, they get about a zillion bluechip recruits in a few weeks and blow past everyone in the rankings
Wolvie old buddy you’re slipping. No mention of the brilliant recruiting Jimmy always does throughout the cycle.

Great!

I am surprised at the number of out of state kids we have for 2024 versus in state. IIRC, of the 12 commitments, only 5 are from PA. That is a ratio that seems to be way different from previous classes. And when I say "out of state" they aren't from NJ, NY and MD either. Wisconsin, Florida, and North Carolina!

An anomaly or the new wave at PSU?

american-flag-usa.gif

I'll get killed for this but I sorted by average stars and PSU was tied for 19th.

I'll get killed for this but I sorted by average stars and PSU was tied for 19th.

That's not surprising - doing that favors few highly-rated signees. So if you've got 1 verbal and they're a 5-Star, that suggests you're going to sign all 5-Stars??? Ummmm....., nonsense.

Great!

I am surprised at the number of out of state kids we have for 2024 versus in state. IIRC, of the 12 commitments, only 5 are from PA. That is a ratio that seems to be way different from previous classes. And when I say "out of state" they aren't from NJ, NY and MD either. Wisconsin, Florida, and North Carolina!

An anomaly or the new wave at PSU?

american-flag-usa.gif
Probably new way of doing things in NIL. It’s important to be strong in Pennsylvania, but it’s probably more important to be strong nationally. In the 1970s PA was elite like Texas or Florida in terms of high school football talent, but with the decline of western PA that is no longer the case.

Reactions: Obliviax
Based on rankings by Rivals?

Not surprising; this is a service that did NOT give 5-stars to Nick Singleton, Drew Allar, or Abdul Carter. If you can name a 2022 class anywhere that had 3 players better than that, let me know.

Saquon was a 4-star for Rivals. Their ratings guys like to travel to warmer climates evidently. PSU seems to be under-rated by Rivals fairly often.

Based on rankings by Rivals?

Not surprising; this is a service that did NOT give 5-stars to Nick Singleton, Drew Allar, or Abdul Carter. If you can name a 2022 class anywhere that had 3 players better than that, let me know.

Saquon was a 4-star for Rivals. Their ratings guys like to travel to warmer climates evidently. PSU seems to be under-rated by Rivals fairly often.
That's why I use the 247 Composite as my recruiting source as it averages all of the recruiting services together and - kind of - minimizes the biases that some of the services have. The one that I ignore today is ESPN as it has a strong Southern - SEC bias

Reactions: bison13
That's why I use the 247 Composite as my recruiting source as it averages all of the recruiting services together and - kind of - minimizes the biases that some of the services have. The one that I ignore today is ESPN as it has a strong Southern - SEC bias
That makes sense. Overall, ranking recruits is an inexact science. Some coaching staffs seem to produce results that exceed what their recruit rankings would indicate, and some programs recruit at the top of the charts but don't have the results expected.

Not to mention -- evaluations of 16 -18 year olds can change greatly by the time they are 20-22 years old.

All that said, I read and look at the profiles and the star ratings, too. It's an off-season connection with the games and our teams.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

As well you should get killed. Hey, we all know that the star rankings don't change during and after a players senior senior season. 😂 R-i-g-h-t!

As well you should get killed. Hey, we all know that the star rankings don't change during and after a players senior senior season. 😂 R-i-g-h-t!
I was simply responding to the enthusiasm over PSU's class currently being ranked 5th. It's certainly off to a good start but there are a number of teams like Alabama and Florida with higher average player rankings but fewer commits that are likely to move up.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
That’s when the checks clear.

Reactions: bison13 and bdgan
The glass is half full, at least for most of us.
Not sure why it was so bad to point out that a top 5 recruiting class in April is largely irrelevant. During JF's tenure, he's always done a great job of gaining commitments early and sitting near the top of the team rankings. Invariably PSU has always finished the recruiting cycle a good bit lower in the rankings than where they peaked in Spring/Summer. This isn't a knock. It's just reality.

Celebrating PSU being #5 now is like celebrating being ahead at halftime. It's better than being behind, but it doesn't mean much

Reactions: psu00 and lions1995
What really matters - will they get a 6' 10" OL?
I don't think there's been this much buzz about an OL class at PSU since 1991 when they got Keith Conlin, Marco Rivera and Andre Johnson.

Though the best linemen in that incredible group turned out to be Jeff Hartings, an underweight (220 lb in high school) who was probably the lowest rated athlete in that incredible 1991 class.

Kind of amazing how PSU is suddenly an OL destination. I guess that reflects the early success of Olu and Shelton. Maybe it's also that Trautwein and the staff have worked really hard to establish communication with top prospects in B1G territory. No doubt another factor is uncertainty about the direction of Wisconsin and uncertainty about Harbaugh staying at UM.

I don't think there's been this much buzz about an OL class at PSU since 1991 when they got Keith Conlin, Marco Rivera and Andre Johnson.

Though the best linemen in that incredible group turned out to be Jeff Hartings, an underweight (220 lb in high school) who was probably the lowest rated athlete in that incredible 1991 class.

Kind of amazing how PSU is suddenly an OL destination. I guess that reflects the early success of Olu and Shelton. Maybe it's also that Trautwein and the staff have worked really hard to establish communication with top prospects in B1G territory. No doubt another factor is uncertainty about the direction of Wisconsin and uncertainty about Harbaugh staying at UM.
Is Harbaugh leaving again? I thought they got that straightened out a couple months ago

Is Harbaugh leaving again? I thought they got that straightened out a couple months ago
Don't know about the next year or two, but I think the smart bet is Booger returning to the NFL no matter what some of their followers may claim. Just a matter of time before he follows his heart.

Don't know about the next year or two, but I think the smart bet is Booger returning to the NFL no matter what some of their followers may claim. Just a matter of time before he follows his heart.
This is just crazy talk. Jim and UM are on the verge of 3 or 4 straight NCs - I think most around the country realize this and know everyone else is doomed. The last couple of years was just a taste of what's to come.

I have just one question for the doubters.......who is the winningest CF program of all-time? End of story

Reactions: Thomas1945
This is just crazy talk. Jim and UM are on the verge of 3 or 4 straight NCs - I think most around the country realize this and know everyone else is doomed. The last couple of years was just a taste of what's to come.

I have just one question for the doubters.......who is the winningest CF program of all-time? End of story
All right Wolvie that’s more like it. You’re almost in mid season form. Let’s do lunch.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I was simply responding to the enthusiasm over PSU's class currently being ranked 5th. It's certainly off to a good start but there are a number of teams like Alabama and Florida with higher average player rankings but fewer commits that are likely to move up.
And all I did was point out that the rankings of players that just completed their junior year in high school change between now and the end of their senior season. You know that's this and fan enthusiasm is normal. At least that is the norm at most universities.

Before I draw any conclusions about the class, I'll wait till the maturation and evaluation are complete.

And all I did was point out that all of these are fairly meaningless at this point in time since neither maturation nor evaluation are completed for these young men.

"Straightened out" I think means he interviewed for NFL coaching jobs and wasn't offered any. But I highly doubt he promised Michigan not to continue applying for jobs in the future.

Recruits aren't stupid. They'll still go to Michigan because it's Michigan but they know it's highly likely Harbaugh will be gone because Harbaugh wants to be back in the NFL.

Reactions: ND Heaven68
"Straightened out" I think means he interviewed for NFL coaching jobs and wasn't offered any. But I highly doubt he promised Michigan not to continue applying for jobs in the future.

Recruits aren't stupid. They'll still go to Michigan because it's Michigan but they know it's highly likely Harbaugh will be gone because Harbaugh wants to be back in the NFL.
Oh I agree with pretty much everything you just said. It’s been the same conversation every year since his first year at Michigan. If he wants to go then he needs to just do it.

Try this rating system. 1) your talent level stays abut the same 2) Your average talent level improves 3) your average talent is diluted. That's it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT