ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State OL Bryce Effner walking away from football

My guess is he probably realizes the depth chart situation and since he has his degree he doesn’t want to do all of the extra weight training and work as well as take less hits over the next year and just get on with his life’s work.

Five years is a long time. And linemen are constantly beat on and end up as walking bruises for most of the season. Also, being a full time student while training and playing is very demanding. After five years, hope he also has masters or is on the way for one. And that he made some serious NIL to kick start his career.

And thanks for matriculating at Penn State and being a big part of what We Are!

Last edited:
Five years is a long time. And linemen are constantly beat on and end up as walking bruises for most of the season. Also, being a full time student while training and playing is very demanding. After five years, hope he also has masters or is on the way for one. And that he made some serious NIL to kick start his career.

And thanks for matriculating at Penn State and being a big part of what We Are!
Agreed. I am surprised more players don't walk away. I've known really good HS players who go to major programs and tell me that it isn't fun anymore. Its a business. You do what you are told or you are gone, one way or the other. If you follow some of the players on Twitter, you'll see that many get up at 5am to get in their daily routine of lifting, nutrition, showers, classes, tutoring, formal/informal team practices, film study, etc. I mean, these kids WORK their asses off. They are exceptional.

I know two kids that play for smaller schools (Ashland, Mount Union) who tell me the same thing and they have almost no hope of being a pro or ever playing a single game in front of 10k plus fans.

Agreed. I am surprised more players don't walk away. I've known really good HS players who go to major programs and tell me that it isn't fun anymore. Its a business. You do what you are told or you are gone, one way or the other. If you follow some of the players on Twitter, you'll see that many get up at 5am to get in their daily routine of lifting, nutrition, showers, classes, tutoring, formal/informal team practices, film study, etc. I mean, these kids WORK their asses off. They are exceptional.

I know two kids that play for smaller schools (Ashland, Mount Union) who tell me the same thing and they have almost no hope of being a pro or ever playing a single game in front of 10k plus fans.
This is why these kids need to be compensated.

This is why these kids need to be compensated.
well, they are. but if you are talking about being paid money, then they become employees. Once they are employees, are covered by labor relation laws. And that blows up any notion of college sports. They would simply be a minor league to the NFL.

Don’t forget that these student athlete demands are not only for the football players but the other sports as well. It is non stop grind of training in one form or another. Many of these athletes are only on partial scholarships as the non revenue sports can’t provide for the entire team. You really have to love it to play lacrosse, volleyball, soccer or gymnastics. It is hard to blame them if they say I want to step away and focus on my career/studies.

Don’t forget that these student athlete demands are not only for the football players but the other sports as well. It is non stop grind of training in one form or another. Many of these athletes are only on partial scholarships as the non revenue sports can’t provide for the entire team. You really have to love it to play lacrosse, volleyball, soccer or gymnastics. It is hard to blame them if they say I want to step away and focus on my career/studies.
Exactly, that was me 25 years ago. Baseball has a fall and spring season in college. PSU would play Bucknell and some other local schools in the fall and we would have to arrange our own rides to make sure we got to classes that we needed to get to and things like that. All just to get one AB or pitch 1 inning. Then you might not even make the travel team in the spring and just get to sit in the bullpen for home games all while doing at least as much as the regulars.

Exactly, that was me 25 years ago. Baseball has a fall and spring season in college. PSU would play Bucknell and some other local schools in the fall and we would have to arrange our own rides to make sure we got to classes that we needed to get to and things like that. All just to get one AB or pitch 1 inning. Then you might not even make the travel team in the spring and just get to sit in the bullpen for home games all while doing at least as much as the regulars.
13, you played under DePew?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT