ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State news: “Journalism student earns individual national writing championship”

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Every one of Melissa Manno’s communication devices and social media channels was popping Tuesday — and she had earned the attention.

Manno, who will be a senior journalism major at Penn State this fall, claimed the individual national writing championship in the 61st annual William Randolph Hearst Foundation’s Journalism Awards Program. Along with the first-place finish she secured a $10,000 scholarship.

“Honestly, it was an honor just to be able to qualify and compete. Winning is incredible,” Manno said. “I’m so grateful for the opportunity and the support. This is the biggest recognition I’ve ever earned.”

Manno competed against 28 other finalists during the past week. Those in the writing competition were tasked with writing three stories. Two, a profile and a news story from a group interview with all the competitors, focused on NBC medical expert Dr. Vin Gupta. The third story challenged competitors to write about a company or group that had been forced to adapt or pivot during the pandemic.”

See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Every one of Melissa Manno’s communication devices and social media channels was popping Tuesday — and she had earned the attention.

Manno, who will be a senior journalism major at Penn State this fall, claimed the individual national writing championship in the 61st annual William Randolph Hearst Foundation’s Journalism Awards Program. Along with the first-place finish she secured a $10,000 scholarship.

“Honestly, it was an honor just to be able to qualify and compete. Winning is incredible,” Manno said. “I’m so grateful for the opportunity and the support. This is the biggest recognition I’ve ever earned.”

Manno competed against 28 other finalists during the past week. Those in the writing competition were tasked with writing three stories. Two, a profile and a news story from a group interview with all the competitors, focused on NBC medical expert Dr. Vin Gupta. The third story challenged competitors to write about a company or group that had been forced to adapt or pivot during the pandemic.”

Congratulations to the young lady.
Completely unrelated to her achievement, I would hardly consider Dr. Vin Gupta a medical "expert."

Reactions: 91Joe95
The third story challenged competitors to write about a company or group that had been forced to adapt or pivot during the pandemic.

How exactly did being forced to shut down affect your business?

The third story challenged competitors to write about a company or group that had been forced to adapt or pivot during the pandemic.

How exactly did being forced to shut down affect your business?

Virtual business, virtual money.

Obviously she learned her writing skills by following this board!😉

Congrats on the award. Hope she has a long career as a true journalist.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT