ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Mens BB ... It has been a long wait....

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
I recall arguing with people that PSU could be a great BB school if it weren't for a litany of rationalizations by the University leadership.

If you have been around as long as I have you have heard every idiotic made up BS excuse for the underachievement of the mens BB program. My argument was always simple. January, February and March in University Park/State College.... You have 25,000 people watching men's BB in the dorms... just happened they were watching other teams.... quit being negative and spend some time and money creating an environment and worthy product and enjoy 25,000 students at home games rocking and rolling....

This group of players constitutes the first group to me with the physical and mental potential to make those students rock and roll. Just wish the BJC was a worthy basketball environment. Maybe with the right players it will not matter.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Most glaring issue is that Penn State needs a tailored basketball facility with about 10K seats. Not a multi facility, de facto concert arena.

It's almost similar to Pitt football and Heinz Field although I actually do think there will be many PSU fans coming out of the woodworks to support a winning team no matter what.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think a successful season this year will put more seats into Bryce Jordan next year. Students and fans will have to be convinced before committing themselves... they've been fooled before. The BJC will not bring students and fans in, they will have to attend in spite of the BJC and not because of it. It will not provide much home court advantage either, as the proximity of seats and angle of the seating are meant to facilitate beautiful concerts, not extreme levels of noise from rowdy fans. The BJC is to Penn State sports, what Veterans Stadium was to Philly sports... and the BJC needs to go away in favor of a college sports oriented venue. I'd be perfectly happy with a remake of Rec Hall/Palestra, with the same courtside atmosphere, but with all of the modern bathrooms, and food/beverage outlets necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT