ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State mens basketball plays Texas A&M tonight at 6:00PM

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
In the championship game of the Legends Classic at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. Coverage is on ESPN2:https://www.foxsports.com/college-b...enn-state-square-off-for-legends-title-112117

This should be a great test for Penn State, and hopefully they can hold their own. Texas A&M has a very good team, ranked 16th, I think but a top ten team (#6 as of last nights games) in the KenPom/Pomeroy analytics. Penn State is ranked 37th, in the KenPom/Pomeroy analytics, which is pretty good for us: https://kenpom.com/

Just playing Texas A&M will be a boost to our SOS and RPI, but I think we will need to play well and finish in the top half of the Big Ten in order to get into the NCAA tournament. This is within the teams grasp. They have a core of legitimate talent, greater than Penn State has EVER had, and a depth to go along with it. Their offense may be streaky this year, but their defense will be there for every game, home or away. There are so many reasons to be bullish about this team. I hope everyone can support the team and enjoy the ride this season. I think it will end with a return to the post season.

Last edited:
They have a core of legitimate talent, greater than Penn State has NEVER had, and a depth to go along with it.

This has my mind going around in circles.

4685cbfb3c045d52608d309b8f417249--optical-illusions-for-kids-stair-art.jpg

In the championship game of the Legends Classic at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. Coverage is on ESPN2:https://www.foxsports.com/college-b...enn-state-square-off-for-legends-title-112117

This should be a great test for Penn State, and hopefully they can hold their own. Texas A&M has a very good team, ranked 16th, I think but a top ten team (#6 as of last nights games) in the KenPom/Pomeroy analytics. Penn State is ranked 37th, in the KenPom/Pomeroy analytics, which is pretty good for us: https://kenpom.com/

Just playing Texas A&M will be a boost to our SOS and RPI, but I think we will need to play well and finish in the top half of the Big Ten in order to get into the NCAA tournament. This is within the teams grasp. They have a core of legitimate talent, greater than Penn State has NEVER had, and a depth to go along with it. Their offense may be streaky this year, but their defense will be there for every game, home or away. There are so many reasons to be bullish about this team. I hope everyone can support the team and enjoy the ride this season. I think it will end with a return to the post season.
Garner will have to have a good shooting night in order for PSU to win tonight. Watkins will have to play a lot of minutes which means he'll have to stay out of foul trouble.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Best part of last night was the powerful effort. Some nights the shots won't fall, but if you play strong D and exert, usually you have a chance.

I'd love to beat a good team like aTm. Just as important is playing well. Good shot selection. Take care of the ball. Good aggressive fouls - OK - dumb reach fouls, uh-uh. Rotate properly on D and minimize the wide-open 3-balls.

The beauty of basketball is you play 30-some games. Beat up all the weaklings and go .500 against the good teams you play and in March everybody will be pretty happy with the results. It's pretty rare that one game makes the difference, but a wretched loss to a hack team is far far worse than getting rolled by North Carolina.

What we have to get past is trash like last year where we beat Iowa or somebody half decent, play really well against Maryland in a loss, and then blow a game at home to Buttgers. That is the stuff that has to come to a screeching halt.

Just playing Texas A&M will be a boost to our SOS and RPI, but I think we will need to play well and finish in the top half of the Big Ten in order to get into the NCAA tournament. This is within the teams grasp. They have a core of legitimate talent, greater than Penn State has EVER had, and a depth to go along with it. Their offense may be streaky this year, but their defense will be there for every game, home or away. There are so many reasons to be bullish about this team. I hope everyone can support the team and enjoy the ride this season. I think it will end with a return to the post season.
First and second rounds in Pittsburgh! Luv to see Penn State invade the Burgh!

Penn State, this is your chance. Now. Tonight. Texas A&M. Legends Classic. Barclays Center. Brooklyn. If the Nittany Lions want to make a statement that they have to be taken seriously in the Big Ten then beating the Aggies – a possible contender for both the Final Four and SEC championship – would do it. Tony Carr is averaging 19 points per game. Lamar Stevens has seven blocks in five games. This squad has the pieces. Destroying Pitt in the semifinals was a good look. Take down Texas A&M and not only the Big Ten will pay attention but also the teams in the Top 25, since the Nittany Lions would deserve a spot.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-11-21/daily-word-tuesday-nov-21

Best part of last night was the powerful effort. Some nights the shots won't fall, but if you play strong D and exert, usually you have a chance.

I'd love to beat a good team like aTm. Just as important is playing well. Good shot selection. Take care of the ball. Good aggressive fouls - OK - dumb reach fouls, uh-uh. Rotate properly on D and minimize the wide-open 3-balls.

The beauty of basketball is you play 30-some games. Beat up all the weaklings and go .500 against the good teams you play and in March everybody will be pretty happy with the results. It's pretty rare that one game makes the difference, but a wretched loss to a hack team is far far worse than getting rolled by North Carolina.

What we have to get past is trash like last year where we beat Iowa or somebody half decent, play really well against Maryland in a loss, and then blow a game at home to Buttgers. That is the stuff that has to come to a screeching halt.
That, and makes sure you come out of the non-conference schedule with a great record. None of this 5 loss record going into the big.

I went to take a look at the main A&M board. The discussion is basically nothing but Sandusky jokes. Thanks BOT.

I went to take a look at the main A&M board. The discussion is basically nothing but Sandusky jokes. Thanks BOT.

I hate the BoT as much as anyone, but if they handled everything perfectly, those are still the same jokes being made today. Its not like sports fan Neanderthal-types who would make those types of jokes are concerned with where blame truly lies.

Reactions: LionJim
That, and makes sure you come out of the non-conference schedule with a great record. None of this 5 loss record going into the big.
aTm tonight NC State along with George Washington and George Mason on the schedule. Very respectable opponents. Not too tough, not too easy. 2-2 is fine. 3-1 would be outstanding. The league season starts early with Iowa at home and Wiscy on the road in December. The other non-cons are all slappies and we cannot afford a loss to any of them - they all stink.

I hate the BoT as much as anyone, but if they handled everything perfectly, those are still the same jokes being made today. Its not like sports fan Neanderthal-types who would make those types of jokes are concerned with where blame truly lies.

If they handled everything perfectly, it would have always been a regional Sandusky scandal, not a national Penn State scandal.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
If they handled everything perfectly, it would have always been a regional Sandusky scandal, not a national Penn State scandal.

I have to disagree. He was a coach at Penn State and used the program he was able to build because he was a coach in order to groom kids to abuse. And the greatst coach of all time who defined success with honor was tied into it. Those facts ensure this would always be a national Penn State story. I honestly can't believe anyone thinks rabid sports fans would've let this go if the BoT did anything differently.

Penn State, this is your chance. Now. Tonight. Texas A&M. Legends Classic. Barclays Center. Brooklyn. If the Nittany Lions want to make a statement that they have to be taken seriously in the Big Ten then beating the Aggies – a possible contender for both the Final Four and SEC championship – would do it. Tony Carr is averaging 19 points per game. Lamar Stevens has seven blocks in five games. This squad has the pieces. Destroying Pitt in the semifinals was a good look. Take down Texas A&M and not only the Big Ten will pay attention but also the teams in the Top 25, since the Nittany Lions would deserve a spot.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-11-21/daily-word-tuesday-nov-21

While we obviously want to win, the expectation here should probably be to stay competitive. Texas A&M by all accounts should beat us, and they're favored by 6 in Vegas. Their top 3 scorers are all upperclassmen, an advantage we don't yet have. So of course we want to win, but as long as we're competitive against a potential top 15 team, I think it'll speak well of us. Just hope folks keep it in perspective and don't suddenly say we suck again and last night was a fluke if we don't win tonight.

aTm tonight NC State along with George Washington and George Mason on the schedule. Very respectable opponents. Not too tough, not too easy. 2-2 is fine. 3-1 would be outstanding. The league season starts early with Iowa at home and Wiscy on the road in December. The other non-cons are all slappies and we cannot afford a loss to any of them - they all stink.
Iowa lost to La Layayette last night. That's one of those games you'v got to win.

Wisconsin is 2-2 with both losses coming against ranked opponents (Xavier & Baylor). That game might be winnable but it won't be easy.

Last edited:
George Washington and George Mason

They certainly have been, and were respectable when we scheduled them, but right now they are 175 and 177 in KenPom/Pomeroy analytics. I think they have the chance to help us out if they overachieve in the A10 this season, but both are expected to be down.

I have to disagree. He was a coach at Penn State and used the program he was able to build because he was a coach in order to groom kids to abuse. And the greatst coach of all time who defined success with honor was tied into it. Those facts ensure this would always be a national Penn State story. I honestly can't believe anyone thinks rabid sports fans would've let this go if the BoT did anything differently.

I strongly disagree. The fact that a former PSU coach did something horrific was always going to leave a mark but that wasn't the big problem. The media shitstorm occurred because of the notion that Joe Paterno knew about sexual abuse and covered it up. There is virtually no evidence that is the case but the BOT fueled that narrative by firing Joe late at night without even allowing him to speak on his own behalf. If our own BOT said that Joe/football was guilty the media wasn't about pass on the story of a lifetime and disagree.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
ADVERTISEMENT