ADVERTISEMENT

PENN STATE HOOPS

Root against Nebraska and Michigan every game they play, especially Nebraska. It will probably come down to 1 or 2 of those 3 when all said and done.

I'm a realist. There is a reason PSU is not on anyone's bubble, yet. Its because of those losses. I'm a realist. They won't be getting much credit for beating OSU at home. They will get more credit for winning a road game at Nebraska and obviously Purdue if that happens. Then they can pair impressive road wins with each other.

Do you not understand how the committee works? I have faith and yes they are a better team today than they were in December but its a resume for a reason. They had chances early in the year and losses AT HOME to horrible teams will probably do them in. It doesn't help that they could not beat A&M earlier this year. They also had an opportunity against another bubble team and lost in NC St.

The weight of road game wins is huge to the committee and I agree, winning on the road is really hard in college hoops. They lost at NW, at IU, at MSU, at Maryland. They won at Iowa and Illinois who are terrible, so they get no credit. They won at OSU which is only reason they have a pulse to get in.

Can they get another big road win? Can they beat both Michigan and OSU at home? They need to finish at least 3-1, get a lot of luck in other bubble teams losing and win at least 3 conf tourney games (the first one will count for nothing because the team they will play will be horrible)

They dug this hole by losing to Rider, Minnesota and Wiscy at home. So lets hope they dig out.

Was this lazy?

Now that's a post!! Guess the movie: "I find this hard to say without sounding condescending...but I'm proud of you!"

Nice job!

Root against Nebraska and Michigan every game they play, especially Nebraska.

Wrong. This shows you how clueless you really are. We need a STRONG Nebraska. Finish in the Big Ten Standings doesn't mean dick. The committee routinely jumps over teams with higher conference records and takes other teams. In our NIT run we were 10-8 in the B1G and they took two 9-9 teams. Another year they skipped the 5th team and took the 6th team.

We NEED Nebraska and Michigan to win any game over a team we didn't beat twice. There's nothing to fear from Nebraska, we hold their last good game in the palm of their hands. They aren't getting in over us if they lose to us in Lincoln. Michigan are IN. They could go 1-3 and are still safely in.

Maryland is the team we should be rooting against. If they win 3 of 4, they probably have a better resume than us. Nebraska hosts Maryland TONIGHT. We WANT Nebraska to win this.

Would you please quit pretending that you know what you're talking about? You're making an ass out of yourself in this thread. You're an idiotologist, not a bracketologist.

Last edited:
If we might go to the Big Dance, I'd better practice. It's been a while.

today-marks-seven-years-of-reddit-for-me-heres-an-old-man-dancing-92511.gif
Home video?

Reactions: fairgambit
We have a great shooter coming in next year in Miles Dread.

Rasir Bolton is a deadly three point shooter as well. Both guys can drain it from deep. Dread has serious potential as an impact player. He does a lot of Josh Things as well.

Shep is a very minor loss, we have plenty of ability to replace. Spot up three point shooters that don't do much else have pretty limited overall value. Shep's defense is just average, he doesn't get to the foul line, he's not a great passer/player maker. He's had a nice year, but an overall disappointing career for us. He's a guy that isn't terribly hard to replace.

This team will be a cinch Top 25 team next year if Reaves, Watkins, Carr return. If Stevens can become a complete, consistent player, Wheeler adds some muscle and a jumper, and Dread and Bolton can give us contributions off the bench, this could be a Top 15 team. No Joke! It will be the best, most talented team in Penn State HISTORY.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
Sheesh. Chill guys. Enjoy the fact we're even talking the tourney. A month ago no one was. It's this simple. We need to worry about no one but us, because that's what we control. Pat deserves a lot of credit for doing what he's done. It wasn't easy getting here. I wish more people understood that.

I disagree. Perimeter shooters are very important to stretch the defense. That opens a lot of things up inside.

They are a dime a dozen though, which doesn't make Shep anything special.

Just because we haven't had a ton of them in recent years doesn't change that there's a lot of them.

Of all the guys with at least 100 three point attempts this season, Shep Garner is 184th in three point field goal perecentage at .403. He's been a slightly above average for us. Replaceable.

Myles Dread should be able to hit that mark nearly right a way and do a ton of other things for us. Dread has an elite shooting stroke, a fantastic base (strength), great hands, and phenomenal basketball IQ.

Bolton is also an elite three point threat. Smaller than Tony Carr, but he has a very similar skill set with a better outside stroke and much better vision.

Both guys have blossomed into LEGIT four-star players since they committed. The pair were a sensational haul to keep this thing going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

He's been doing it for three years now and Jerry Palm ranks 82nd in accuracy.

Can we stop citing this clown as some kind of authority?

There's one bracket (Haslametrics) that has us in right now out of 101. They are one of the few brackets that use recency in their formula and it did pretty decent last season. The number of brackets that have us in will jump up significantly if we beat Ohio State and finish 11-7. Palm is fooking clueless.

Jerry Palm is anything but clueless. He's shown for 15+ years that he understands the bracketing/selection process as much as (or more than) anyone in the country, including those at the NCAA.

Then again, I see in post after post that anyone that doesn't agree with you is "clueless", "a moron", or "stupid".

Jerry Palm is anything but clueless. He's shown for 15+ years that he understands the bracketing/selection process as much as (or more than) anyone in the country, including those at the NCAA.

Then again, I see in post after post that anyone that doesn't agree with you is "clueless", "a moron", or "stupid".

Yes, he knows so much, that's why he's ranked 82nd out of 113 when doing this stuff.

Results matter. Palm is wrong more than others. This stuff is tracked and he's below average. He misses teams getting in and he misses seeding, sometimes badly.

But yes, let's just keep referring to him as some oracle of Bracketology. With the way the committee is evolving with its methodology, everybody is in the dark about what they might do this year.

But go ahead, keep appealing to the higher authority. Most of us know he's just another guy throwing darts.

Yes, he knows so much, that's why he's ranked 82nd out of 113 when doing this stuff.

Results matter. Palm is wrong more than others. This stuff is tracked and he's below average. He misses teams getting in and he misses seeding, sometimes badly.

But yes, let's just keep referring to him as some oracle of Bracketology. With the way the committee is evolving with its methodology, everybody is in the dark about what they might do this year.

But go ahead, keep appealing to the higher authority. Most of us know he's just another guy throwing darts.
For someone that preaches so much about power ratings, I'm surprised that you don't have a better grasp of things like small sample size and variance.

And ask anyone that's ever sat in on the media's mock selection events if Jerry Palm is "just another guy throwing darts".

For someone that preaches so much about power ratings, I'm surprised that you don't have a better grasp of things like small sample size and variance.

And ask anyone that's ever sat in on the media's mock selection events if Jerry Palm is "just another guy throwing darts".

The guy who has stunk at predicting the bracket and seedings the last three years is just having a rough stretch. That means we need more higher authority to confirm him as the Grand Wizard Poobah of March Madness.

Yeah okay. You can swallow that shit, I'm not.

Here's a fact for you to gobble on: If we beat Ohio State on Thursday, we will be on almost every "First Four Out" list in the country, with quality opponents still remaining on the schedule. Win over Michigan and @ Nebraska, and we are in. Period. End of story.

I have a degree from the Lunardi School of Bracketology. Trust me, It's a legit accredited university.

Last edited:
Myles Dread should be able to hit that mark nearly right a way and do a ton of other things for us. Dread has an elite shooting stroke, a fantastic base (strength), great hands, and phenomenal basketball IQ.

We need to pump the breaks on Myles Dread a bit. He's shot the ball well this season for Gonzaga but his EYBL shooting numbers over two years in AAU circuits are not good. I do not expect him to come in right away and be a great shooter overnight.

Reactions: bison13
Here's a fact for you to gobble on: If we beat Ohio State on Thursday, we will be on almost every "First Four Out" list in the country, with quality opponents still remaining on the schedule. Win over Michigan and @ Nebraska, and we are in. Period. End of story.

So wins over Ohio St, Michigan, and Nebraska and then the Iowa/Minnesota/Iowa 5-12 or 6-11 game doesn't matter? If you think that a resume that we have with an RPI in the 60's ends with "we are in, period", then you need to ask Joey Brackets for your money back.

I also wanted to add that way too much is being put into bracketologists regardless. Sure, Jerry Palm says that 11-7 on its own is not enough, but he's also ignoring the Big Ten Tournament. 11-7 puts us firmly on the bubble and we'd be in or out depending on what happens during the conference tournaments throughout the country. We will likely need 5 wins (including BTT) to lock ourselves into the dance. This is not an impossible task, but it's going to take a gargantuan effort.

I also don't really see the value in bracketology at all, especially on February 13. There is still so much basketball left in the season and who is in or out ebbs and flows daily. Who is in on February 13 may not be in on March 11. We still have at least 5 games left this season, and hopefully we have far more than that.

We need to pump the breaks on Myles Dread a bit. He's shot the ball well this season for Gonzaga but his EYBL shooting numbers over two years in AAU circuits are not good. I do not expect him to come in right away and be a great shooter overnight.

As someone who regularly watches the WCAC games, this is right on. Hes a solid shooter, not great. Has improved from his earlier years when he was just an athletic slasher. Ive seen him have games of 5-8 from 3 and games of 0-8. I think he could end up being great but cant expect him to have Garners % as a fresh.

Shooters are not a dime a dozen as Mrs Chambers stated earlier either. If that was the case why are most of the top shooters from the smaller conferences?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/143/p2

Shep is 68th, 4th in the Big 10

So wins over Ohio St, Michigan, and Nebraska and then the Iowa/Minnesota/Iowa 5-12 or 6-11 game doesn't matter? If you think that a resume that we have with an RPI in the 60's ends with "we are in, period", then you need to ask Joey Brackets for his money back.

This is where it would be great to know how influential non-RPI measures like KenPom are to the committee. We could very well end this season something like 22-12 (10-8) and have a KenPom rating in the top 40 but an RPI over 55. Is that going to be in or out? I am an optimist by nature, so I want to say yes, but it's impossible to know today.

Shooters are not a dime a dozen as Mrs Chambers stated earlier either. If that was the case why are most of the top shooters from the smaller conferences?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. My gut would be that these players are not athletic enough for P6 conference teams but they are still very skilled shooters. They also are going to see less athletic/less wingspan defenders on them as well, which could help them get up shots less contested they otherwise would not get off or would be more contested in a P6 conference.

I am just speculating on that though.

This is where it would be great to know how influential non-RPI measures like KenPom are to the committee.

Based on the committee's top 16 from Sunday, they put an ice-cold Oklahoma team in there that Pomeroy's numbers don't like, while leaving out Gonzaga who is rated a lot higher in Ken's numbers. Also seem to have under-seeded Texas Tech.

Last edited:
This is where it would be great to know how influential non-RPI measures like KenPom are to the committee. We could very well end this season something like 22-12 (10-8) and have a KenPom rating in the top 40 but an RPI over 55. Is that going to be in or out? I am an optimist by nature, so I want to say yes, but it's impossible to know today.

It IS impossible to know today. There will be teams playing themselves in while other teams will be playing themselves out over the next two weeks. And then upsets in conference tournaments can / will mess everything up. Tournament week and the Selection Committee’s reveal will be very very interesting this year.

The seeding of the top 16 should be exceptionally challenging for the Committee this year. You could almost toss the names in a hat and pick them out one-by-one and not be far off.

Based on the committee's top 16 from Sunday, they put an ice-cold Oklahoma team in there that Pomeroy's numbers don't like, while leaving out Gonzaga who is rated a lot higher in Ken's numbers. Also seem to have under-seeded Texas Tech.

That's true, but it says to me that the committee is really placing a value on Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins. (Yes that is RPI based). Oklahoma has a bunch of these quality wins. That's why doing something like picking up 3 or 4 more quad 1 or 2 wins could be the difference to us getting in or out (an opportunity we have thanks to our schedule down the stretch). They seem to be placing a greater emphasis on who you've beaten, not necessarily how often you've been beaten.

Jerry Palm's Latest Post:

PENN ST.

After losing to Northwestern on Jan. 20, Penn State looked like it was headed for a season that would leave it short of the NCAA tournament again. Then, Tony Carr hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to win at Ohio State . That sparked a run in which the Nittany Lions have won five of six. They are trying to make up for a poor non-conference schedule and are still lacking quality wins, but the remaining schedule has nothing but opportunities for those. If PSU can defend its home court and steal one on the road, it can give the committee something to talk about in a few weeks.

Palm Reader is back tracking on his earlier stupid comment.

If PSU goes 11-7 plus 1 in Big Ten Tourney the only thing the committee be debating is their seed.

Wrong. This shows you how clueless you really are....

We NEED Nebraska and Michigan to win any game over a team we didn't beat twice....

In Terms Of Getting An At Large bid, You Are Right. However, if you think psu's best (or only) chance is to win the auto bid, then you want Michigan and Nebraska to crash so the lions can get the 4th place double - bye in the B1G tourney.

In Terms Of Getting An At Large bid, You Are Right. However, if you think psu's best (or only) chance is to win the auto bid, then you want Michigan and Nebraska to crash so the lions can get the 4th place double - bye in the B1G tourney.

Our at-large path, although long, is way more likely than winning the Big Ten tournament.

Wrong. This shows you how clueless you really are. We need a STRONG Nebraska. Finish in the Big Ten Standings doesn't mean dick. The committee routinely jumps over teams with higher conference records and takes other teams. In our NIT run we were 10-8 in the B1G and they took two 9-9 teams. Another year they skipped the 5th team and took the 6th team.

We NEED Nebraska and Michigan to win any game over a team we didn't beat twice. There's nothing to fear from Nebraska, we hold their last good game in the palm of their hands. They aren't getting in over us if they lose to us in Lincoln. Michigan are IN. They could go 1-3 and are still safely in.

Maryland is the team we should be rooting against. If they win 3 of 4, they probably have a better resume than us. Nebraska hosts Maryland TONIGHT. We WANT Nebraska to win this.

Would you please quit pretending that you know what you're talking about? You're making an ass out of yourself in this thread. You're an idiotologist, not a bracketologist.

Never claimed to be a bracketologist, sorry to you oh mighty Joe Lunardi. Apparently after 7 years of being a member here you have decided to start posting now in full bracketology mode, yet you call me out as trying to be some bracketologist, so I'll take the time to call you a hypocrite.

Simply reading the tea leaves sport and have been around hoops enough and gamble on it enough over the years to know the system. So Nebraska winning tonight helps Penn State, perhaps since its against Maryland but you can't tell me not to root for Illinois to beat them Sunday. I see your reasoning but its important to have an advantage over Nebraska when all is said and done and be only behind or tied with MSU, Purdue, OSU and Michigan. The B1G may get 5 teams tops. With the way PSU is finishing and IF they finish 3-1 to end the year and win a couple meaningful tourney games having other bubbles lose only helps. They need it to get messy and need help from other teams at this point. They have zero quality non conference wins and one good road win all year. Like it or not, Nebraska is a bubble team and Maryland may be one with a couple more wins so to me any team that currently sits on a bubble we want to lose some games. Personally I feel like they should use KenPom rankings (PSU was 39 at last check) to pick the teams instead of being subjective.

No matter who's right, probably neither of us, the tone in your message to me is pathetic, immature and quite frankly disgusting. You call yourself a CFBInsider but you are no more an insider than anyone on this board. So maybe you should have another handle of CBBInsider since I know nothing and you know everything because you get "insider" information LOL. Get a life buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
More total horse poo.

PSU went 4-5 over their last 9 going into the BTT and won 1 over a garbage Indiana team that was outside the Top 150. Oh yeah, that's a real hot streak. They finished with an RPI of 70.

If PSU goes 3-1 and wins 1 in BTT, they will have an RPI around 55, and 8-2 over their last 10. Easily in with the supporting metrics.

Exactly. They also lost to Iowa to end the regular season and Iowa I believe was in second to last place. Penn State was also blown out of the gym by Purdue in the BTT after the layup over Indiana. The loss to Iowa was a crusher.

If Penn State wins 3 of the last 4 and wins 1 BTT game they are likely in.

Every team on the bubble has warts, would be tough to leave out a team that likely would have swept Ohio State and Nebraska.

Is Nebraska getting in over Penn State if Penn State sweeps them and has the sweep of Ohio State.

Nebraska’s best win is Michigan.

Jerry Palm Today

PENN ST.

After losing to Northwestern on Jan. 20, Penn State looked like it was headed for a season that would leave it short of the NCAA tournament again. Then, Tony Carr hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to win at Ohio State . That sparked a run in which the Nittany Lions have won five of six. They are trying to make up for a poor non-conference schedule and are still lacking quality wins, but the remaining schedule has nothing but opportunities for those. If PSU can defend its home court and steal one on the road, it can give the committee something to talk about in a few weeks.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Jerry Palm Today

PENN ST.

In my opinion,

Basically, wins vs OSU and UM at home.

Maybe a win at Purdue or Nebraska (if not, still a shot)

Probably two wins in the B1G tournament.

Regardless, should be a high seed in the NIT. Not making NIT here is unacceptable.

Jerry Palm Today

PENN ST.

Key words
"if"
"something to think about"
he's still indicating we're out

ADVERTISEMENT