ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Hockey - roadmap to a championship

UncleLar

May 29, 2001
Believe it or not, despite being in fourth place in the Big Ten hockey standings with just two games remaining, the Nittany Lions actually have a chance at winning their first Big Ten hockey regular season championship.

I've put together a roadmap of the scenarios that have to play out for it to happen over at HockeyValley.com.

Those road trips to East Lansing and Columbus really hurt....

Had we managed a split on those trips, we're in control of everything heading into the weekend.

Regardless, have to be pleased - the team is guaranteed to finish above .500 overall and either at or above .500 in conference, all in only its 3rd full season of D1.

Originally posted by UncleLar:
Believe it or not, despite being in fourth place in the Big Ten hockey standings with just two games remaining, the Nittany Lions actually have a chance at winning their first Big Ten hockey regular season championship.

I've put together a roadmap of the scenarios that have to play out for it to happen over at HockeyValley.com.
Lar, if PSU/Minn split and MSU sweeps Michigan, that is another scenario where we finish in 3rd.

Also, I'm interested in your next listing. In particular, what would the tiebreaker be if we win one game versus Minn and then lose a shootout to them in the other game? Both us and the Gophers would end up with 35 points.

Part Two of the roadmap

Covering scenarios where PSU gets involved in shootout(s) against Minnesota.

This post was edited on 3/9 8:20 PM by UncleLar

Shootout scenarios

It depends on who wins the championship

If Michigan does, we have the tiebreaker over Minnesota.

If MSU does (with one exception), Minnesota own the tiebreaker over us.

That one exception would be if MSU beats Michigan, and Michigan wins a shootout in the other game. That would create a three way tie for second with Michigan getting the first tiebreaker, Minnesota the second, and PSU coming in fourth.

Re: Those road trips to East Lansing and Columbus really hurt....

I have followed college hockey along time, and have had two kids plus niece and nephew play d1/d3, and what PSU has done is nothing short of amazing. this team is still being made. the roster is still geographically narrow, compared to the elite teams, and is still very young. as this team starts to recruit in the real hotbeds of the 401 and 3Ms, it will only get better.
I was worried that this was going to turn into an extension of the old club team, but it really has grown to be a competitor with the traditional powers. to me this is amazing - I thought it would take several more years before we could be beating the likes of a Michigan.

I am looking for BB, FB and hockey to all be at BIG championship level potential on a similar time line. kudos to this team and coaches.

Michigan 5 MSU 3 - Michigan in first with 36 points pending the outcome

of PSU - Minny.

Minnesota tied atop the Big Ten with 36 points each.**

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT