ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State history, how many games did Penn State win (or lose) on a score as time expired??

Mack_Daddy

Oct 7, 2001
Off the top of my head, I can't recall Penn State winning as time expired.

Was Marylands 2 point failed conversion attempt in 1986 as time expired?

Just remembered Meeechigan in 2005 (with the added second).

Off top of my head....no overtime, final play of the game:

Wins -- 1983 vs Alabama (Gattuso stops running back at the 2 on the final play of the game)
2014 vs. UCF
2017 vs Iowa

Losses -- 2005 at Michigan

The Maryland failed 2-point play in 86 was with about 15 seconds on the clock. Brett Conway's FG to beat Texas Tech in 95 came with about 20 seconds left. I remember a win against Michigan State at Beaver Stadium in the 90s that came down to a late FG with under 30 seconds left. Bowman's catch against Nebraska in 82, PSU had to kickoff to Rozier to end it. Pretty sure the Engram catch and dive in 93 at MSU, there was still time on the clock.

Reactions: Sharkies
95 MSU game - Engram I think caught the winning pass, can't recall if this was the final play of game

1969 Orange Bowl against Kansas. A blocked punt with a little over a minute gave the ball back to Penn State who was losing 14 - 7.
A pass later and a few runs into the line Penn State scores with 8 seconds left to potentially tie the game with an extra point. But then we go for two, miss the score but Kansas has 12 men on the field. Replay the down and Penn State scores, wins 15 - 14 with 8 seconds left.
This was very early in Paterno's head coaching career and set the tone for a new era in Penn State football. The next year Penn State returned to the Orange Bowl with another undefeated team and beat Missouri. The legendary career of Paterno was established with decades of great football to follow.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1676746/reviews

Reactions: BarryPSU
The 1969 Orange Bowl doesn't count. There were 15 seconds left when PSU scored against Kansas in the Orange Bowl. Kansas had a kickoff return and got off two more plays (one a sack by Mike Reid) before time expired.

Pretty sure the Engram catch and dive in 93 at MSU, there was still time on the clock.

That game was in 1995 and there was time left on the clock - not much though and it would have been over if he had been tackled before he got in the end zone. Definitely under 10 seconds. The 1993 game was a great PSU comeback though. Penn State came back from 37 - 17 late in the 3rd to win 38-37. In fact, PSU led 38-37 with several series to go.

Last edited:
1979! In Raleigh, NC!

NC State scored with about a minute left to take a 7-6 lead. PSU converts a 4th and 24 with a 36 yd pass completion.

One second left, Herb Menhardt bounces a long (54 yd?) FG off and over the crossbar for a 9-7 win.

GGGGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!

Off the top of my head two losses come to mind, last season's Rose Bowl against USC and the '99 game against Minnesota. Both field goals on the last play, ouch.

Several game were won on field goals or defensive stands, but the point of an offensive winning play similar to Florida over Tennessee last week has not happend ( to my knowledge ) since at least 64.

(The 1969 Orange Bowl doesn't count. There were 15 seconds left when PSU scored against Kansas in the Orange Bowl. Kansas had a kickoff return and got off two more plays (one a sack by Mike Reid) before time expired.)

It counts as well as most of these other examples. It wasn't like last night with 4 seconds left which ended the game excepting the extra point anti-climax but it was as close as most of these last second finishes plus it established a new standard in the modern era.

1979! In Raleigh, NC!

NC State scored with about a minute left to take a 7-6 lead. PSU converts a 4th and 24 with a 36 yd pass completion.

One second left, Herb Menhardt bounces a long (54 yd?) FG off and over the crossbar for a 9-7 win.

GGGGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
I remember listening to the radio call of that game winning FG with my buddies in Packer Hall when I was a freshman.

Alabama blocked a field goal on the last play of the game to preserve a win at Beaver Stadium. Still hurts. Too lazy to look up the year. I thought then and still think we should have sent Blair Thomas into the line one more time.

Alabama blocked a field goal on the last play of the game to preserve a win at Beaver Stadium. Still hurts. Too lazy to look up the year. I thought then and still think we should have sent Blair Thomas into the line one more time.

1989!

I can still hear the thud of the ball hitting the Bama' player's hand, happened right in front of me.

There was no urgency.....NONE.....on that drive, we beat ourselves as they could not stop Thomas.

A fake FG / run to the right side of the line would have been a walk-in TD as the attempt was from the right hashmark and the D overloaded our left side of the line for the block.

A terrible L that should have been a W.

Personally, I count Kordell Stewart's 'Miracle at Michigan' as a Penn State loss as time expired.

I can only remember the losses.

September 25, 1982: PSU #8 Nebraska #2 at State College. Penn State won 27 – 24

Paterno invited fans to bring candles to light for St Jude, the patron saint of hope to counter Nebraska ‘s backfield of Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, and Turner Gill. What followed is still considered among Beaver Stadium’s most iconic games in which Penn State had two controversial receptions in the final minute. They included Kirk “Stonehands” Bowman’s game-winning touchdown catch with 4 seconds remaining.

(The candle lighting and 4 seconds remaining similarities to the Iowa game setting are scary coincidental.)

I was at standing on the field perimeter (was employee usher near student section). Stonehand’s diving catch was disputed (and is to this day by many Nebraska fans).

Penn State had a game winning defensive stop against Notre Dame (pass knocked down in the end zone). I believe it was the last play of the game. Can’t remember the year of that game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT