ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State enters week two unranked in coaches poll

Ohio State shouldn't pretend any conference win is a good win.
The point is simple--you're supposed to beat the teams you're better than--when you do, why celebrate?
We aren't supposed to beat Ohio State or Michigan based on talent--if we lose those games that's fine with me--just means we need a coach who can recruit better.
So your prediction is 10-2 with losses to O$U and scUM. You expect to beat everyone else. I'm curious when we do win against lesser talented teams, say Sparty and Auburn, do we need to win by 2 TDs or more to satisfy you or is it the point spread or what? For Auburn I think we are favored by 1 but something tells me if we win by 1 you will be spouting your theory that this was not a good win, it was expected, and a 1pt victory is nothing to be proud of, etc. Do you ever factor road games into your thinking or does talent always always trump any intangible like a hostile road environment? How do you handle injuries. particularly atvthe QB position? For example, last year when we lost Clifford and Mustipher. Yeah, we have more talent than Iowa but we lost our starting QB so that messed up the talent theory. Is a freshman 4 star QB always better than a senior 3 star at the QB position when the 3 star has 2 years of starting experience but the 4 star has never played meaningful snaps? Inquiring minds want to know.

Finally, I'm curious about your mindset in the games we are not supposed to win. Do you even think we have a shot or are you supremely confident we will lose to O$U and scUM because they have more talent thus making it impossible for us to win? I'm thinking you need to go to Vegas, seems like you have a fullproof theory.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
We disagree--when is the last time Purdue beat us? Why should we ever lose to Purdue? Is there any doubt we have more talent?
More talent based on what, recruiting rankings? Who’s better, a fifth year three star or a first year four star? And if you have a whole team of fifth year three stars, that’s pretty solid. I wonder how good PSU would be if they could keep all their four stars for five years.

More talent based on what, recruiting rankings? Who’s better, a fifth year three star or a first year four star? And if you have a whole team of fifth year three stars, that’s pretty solid. I wonder how good PSU would be if they could keep all their four stars for five years.
The defense would be exponentially better if Brooks and Luketa had returned. Granted, I think both would be 6th year guys based on 2020, still would be nice to have stability at 2 spots where we are very experienced.

So your prediction is 10-2 with losses to O$U and scUM. You expect to beat everyone else. I'm curious when we do win against lesser talented teams, say Sparty and Auburn, do we need to win by 2 TDs or more to satisfy you or is it the point spread or what? For Auburn I think we are favored by 1 but something tells me if we win by 1 you will be spouting your theory that this was not a good win, it was expected, and a 1pt victory is nothing to be proud of, etc. Do you ever factor road games into your thinking or does talent always always trump any intangible like a hostile road environment? How do you handle injuries. particularly atvthe QB position? For example, last year when we lost Clifford and Mustipher. Yeah, we have more talent than Iowa but we lost our starting QB so that messed up the talent theory. Is a freshman 4 star QB always better than a senior 3 star at the QB position when the 3 star has 2 years of starting experience but the 4 star has never played meaningful snaps? Inquiring minds want to know.

Finally, I'm curious about your mindset in the games we are not supposed to win. Do you even think we have a shot or are you supremely confident we will lose to O$U and scUM because they have more talent thus making it impossible for us to win? I'm thinking you need to go to Vegas, seems like you have a fullproof theory.
Beating Auburn or Michigan State in any fashion is fine with me.
Road game against Purdue doesn't alter that
When we lost Clifford we lost to Iowa because Franklin never prepared another QB--coaching
When did I ever use the word "stars"--the discussion is talent
Not impossible to win--remember I said "expect to win" and, no, truthfully Ohio State fan should never be "excited" about a Big Ten win--winning is the expectation.

You're questioning if we have more talent than Purdue?
Are you also unsure about Ohio?

Beating Auburn or Michigan State in any fashion is fine with me.
Road game against Purdue doesn't alter that
When we lost Clifford we lost to Iowa because Franklin never prepared another QB--coaching
When did I ever use the word "stars"--the discussion is talent
Not impossible to win--remember I said "expect to win" and, no, truthfully Ohio State fan should never be "excited" about a Big Ten win--winning is the expectation.
So how was Franklin supposed to prepare the backup QB? He played in two games prior to Iowa and didn’t have the problems he had getting the snap off. I’m sure he also didn’t have that problem in practice. So he froze during the game…not much a coach can do about that.

You're questioning if we have more talent than Purdue?
Are you also unsure about Ohio?
I’m arguing that mature and developed three star talent is equal to or better than immature and green four star talent. Why doesn’t Kentucky win the NC in basketball every year? They have more talent than anyone else and they haven’t won in years. Maybe it’s because their talent is always young and a team that has matured and played together longer can beat them.

So how was Franklin supposed to prepare the backup QB? He played in two games prior to Iowa and didn’t have the problems he had getting the snap off. I’m sure he also didn’t have that problem in practice. So he froze during the game…not much a coach can do about that.
How does every other team prepare their backup QB?
Can you acknowledge having Roberson ahead of CV on the depth chart was a poor decision or do you think Franklin does nothing wrong?

I’m arguing that mature and developed three star talent is equal to or better than immature and green four star talent. Why doesn’t Kentucky win the NC in basketball every year? They have more talent than anyone else and they haven’t won in years. Maybe it’s because their talent is always young and a team that has matured and played together longer can beat them.
So you're saying we don't develop talent?

Can you acknowledge having Roberson ahead of CV on the depth chart was a poor decision or do you think Franklin does nothing wrong?
How would either of us know, we weren’t at spring and summer practices and didn’t see how they were playing. And every team prepares their backup with reps in practice and getting them in during blow outs….you know, exactly what Franklin did with Roberson.

So you're saying we don't develop talent?
Where did I say that? I said immature and green, not undeveloped because every coach needs time to develop talent. A first year player is not developed by any coach.

CV got in trouble over weed the summer before last season IIRC. He was probably in the dog house until Roberson had trouble at Iowa.

You watched Roberson play vs Villanova. Did you see anything in that game that said Roberson was going to have trouble getting the team lined up and getting the snap off?

How’s about calling a time out, calming things down, getting the team to use a silent snap. Pretty novel idea, huh?

How’s about calling a time out, calming things down, getting the team to use a silent snap. Pretty novel idea, huh?

No disagreement there. One time out might have saved 5 yards there.

Do we blame the opposing coach for such penalties at our home games though? During a White Out?

Was that going to fix his accuracy issues?

CV got in trouble over weed the summer before last season IIRC. He was probably in the dog house until Roberson had trouble at Iowa.

You watched Roberson play vs Villanova. Did you see anything in that game that said Roberson was going to have trouble getting the team lined up and getting the snap off?
It's way you don't schedule teams like Nova.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT