ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State enters week two unranked in coaches poll

Wad-stache (Dave Wannstedt) said today on "BTN Today" that "PSU was winning the game, tried to seal the victory running the ball and just couldn't do it. Purdue then takes the lead and after they had the lead abandoned the run. They probably win the game if they simply run the ball...." or something to that effect. Wad-stache is always talking out his ass - first of all, PSU didn't "try to run the ball and failed after they had the lead" - complete bullshit, PSU's Pick-6 that gave Purdue the lead was a 1st Down throw from midfield on PSU's first series after taking the lead back 28-24 and holding Purdue to a 3-&-Out! Complete bullshit that PSU attempted to close out the game running the ball after taking the lead, but failed as Wad-stache claimed. Furthermore, there is ZERO evidence that Purdue changes the results if they elect to exclusively run after the Pick-6 -- Purdue had zero success running the ball on PSU they only had a total of 70 rushing yards on 23 carries. Again, zero evidence that suggests Purdue changes the result (a punt) if they choose to exclusively run after Pick-6 -- in fact, the evidence suggests the opposite.
Yes, while I don’t dislike Wanny, (I find him amusing), his commentary makes me wonder just how hard or easy it is to become a coach at the NFL or College level.

Neither team played well--both tried to give the game away multiple times. I wouldn't say "Purdue lost it more than Penn State won it" but it wasn't a pretty game.
See Clemson against Ga Tech. Clemson won convincingly by pulling away late but I have zero faith in Clemson moving forward unless they go to Klubnik.
Winning isn't always impressive and losing isn't always a huge red flag. This game against Purdue literally told us nothing.

Neither team played well--both tried to give the game away multiple times. I wouldn't say "Purdue lost it more than Penn State won it" but it wasn't a pretty game.
See Clemson against Ga Tech. Clemson won convincingly by pulling away late but I have zero faith in Clemson moving forward unless they go to Klubnik.
Winning isn't always impressive and losing isn't always a huge red flag. This game against Purdue literally told us nothing.
I agree to a certain extent that we really don’t know much more about this team, however it was a win against a solid power 5 team on the road which required overcoming adversity. So in that regard, hopefully it will build character, confidence and maturity in a relatively young team.

Reactions: indynittany
The only thing I can think of that Purdue did to lose the game was them not running the ball their last two possession.

Clifford almost lost the game with the pick six, but redeemed himself with the last drive.

it looked like two solid teams playing a typical opening game with some positives and some questions for both teams.

There is zero evidence that suggests Purdue wins if they try to run the ball on their two possessions after the Pick-6 before we re-took the lead. Purdue only had 70 yards rushing in the game and could not establish the run whatsoever all day. Purdue likely goes 3-&-out on those drives if they try to run exclusively... as it was, both drives were 6 play drives before punting. The first possession after Pick-6 and taking lead used a 1 minute 37 seconds (6:27 in 4th down to 4:50). The 2nd possession after Pick-6 used 2 minutes 6 seconds (4:28 down to 2:22). The clock does not stop running after successful short passes - there is zero evidence to suggest Purdue uses significantly more clock had the gone 3-&-out twice on 6 consecutive running plays.

The only thing I can think of that Purdue did to lose the game was them not running the ball their last two possession.

Clifford almost lost the game with the pick six, but redeemed himself with the last drive.

it looked like two solid teams playing a typical opening game with some positives and some questions for both teams.
It would have eaten a bit more of the clock and forced us to use up timeouts, although I believe we still had one left so…..

Not sure that's true - both of Purdue's drives in question were 6 play drives before punting and together used up almost 4 minutes of clock (3 minutes and 43 seconds to be exact). Don't agree that two consecutive 3-&-out drives where Purdue runs the ball 6 times consecutively necessarily uses more clock.

Reactions: Online Persona
It would have eaten a bit more of the clock and forced us to use up timeouts, although I believe we still had one left so…..
I have heard this crap too many times about Purdue blowing it because they didn't run the ball on their drive prior to PSU' final game winning drive. They could NOT run the ball they had limited success all game. They were not magically going to pound it down our throats. This argument is complete crap.

So let's play this out and deal with facts and play hypothetical:

-Purdue gets the ball with 4:28 left. 1st down pass complete for a yard clock continues to roll. So that
is like a run play.

-2nd down incomplete pass and clock stops. You could argue they should have run there but they were going to get stuffed.

-3rd down he hits Jones for 17 yards.

- Okay let's say they did run on 2nd down then they get the completion on 3rd down for the first. That 2nd down incompletion started at 3:39 left and went to 3:36 left. So subtract 30 seconds and the 3rd down play would have started at 3:06 instead of 3:36. PSU does not call a TO as they will wait to get a stop on 3rd down. On 3rd down they complete to Jones for a 1st down. You could argue they could have run there on 3rd down as well but it would have been probably 3rd and 5 or 6 assuming the 2nd down netted 3 yards with a run. Purdue is NOT converting a 3rd and 5 on the ground.

-Now it is first down for Purdue and in the real game they run that play with 2:56 left. They ran for 4 yards on that first down play so there is your run. After that play PSU calls timeout. In the real game PSU calls the TO at the 2:50 mark. In this hypothetical situation there would be 2:20 left not the 2:50 that was left. The play by play has both PSU and Purdue calling time outs at this juncture. Not sure that is correct. I do know we burned a TO there.

-2nd and 6 and that is the Hail Mary that they overturned. Let's say they ran there for 3 yards and now it is 3rd and 3. If they run again and convert then ball game but that is highly unlikely they can convert to my opening point that they could not run well all night. So let's say PSU calls TOs after 2nd and third downs like they were the incomplete passes in terms of time running off. And PSU stops them on the 3rd down run.
What that means is instead of getting the ball back with 2:22 left and 2 timeouts you subtract the 30 seconds because they ran it earlier (hypothetically) and we did not call a TO. You assume the 2 run plays took as long as the 2 pass plays took. So we get the ball with 1:52 left and no timeouts.

That is still plenty of time as our drive only took 1:25. In fact that could have been better because Purdue only would have had 27 seconds to work with and not 57 seconds.

The bottom line is that even if Purdue tried to run the ball PSU was going to use TOs to preserve time and Purdue was not going to convert 3rd and 4 or more on the ground. Can you imagine if they tried and got stuffed. People would be criticizing Brohm for that.

Penn State won this game, it was NOT a case of Purdue totally blowing it with poor clock management. Putdue was going to lose either way by PSU taking it from them and making the clutch plays at the end. The haters don't like that narrative but IT IS THE TRUTH and the facts back it up. If anything PSU handed them 7 points with the pick 6.

Not sure that's true - both of Purdue's drives in question were 6 play drives before punting and together used up almost 4 minutes of clock (3 minutes and 43 seconds to be exact). Don't agree that two consecutive 3-&-out drives where Purdue runs the ball 6 times consecutively necessarily uses more clock.
As you know, an incomplete pass stops the clock, so there’s that, in addition, them running the ball would have forced us to use up our time outs, one of which we needed/ used.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you given the outcome, however, if they ran the ball and were able to get first downs running the ball, game over. But apparently they did not believe their run game was up to it.

I have heard this crap too many times about Purdue blowing it because they didn't run the ball on their drive prior to PSU' final game winning drive. They could NOT run the ball they had limited success all game. They were not magically going to pound it down our throats. This argument is complete crap.

-Purdue gets the ball with 4:28 left. 1st down pass complete for a yard clock continues to roll. So that
is like a run play.

-2nd down incomplete pass and clock stops. You could argue they should have run there but they were going to get stuffed.

- Okay let's say they did run on 2nd down then they get the completion on 3rd down for the first. That 2nd down incompletion started at 3:39 left and went to 3:36 left. So subtract 30 seconds and the 3rd down play would have started at 3:06 instead of 3:36. PSU does not call a TO as they will wait to get a stop on 3rd down. On 3rd down they complete to Jones for a 1st down. You could argue they could have run there on 3rd down as well but it would have been probably 3rd and 5 or 6 assuming the 2nd down netted 3 yards with a run. Purdue is NOT converting a 3rd and 5 on the ground.

-Now it is first down for Purdue and in the real game they run that play with 2:56 left. They ran for 4 yards on that first down play so there is your run. After that play PSU calls timeout. In the real game PSU calls the TO at the 2:50 mark. In this hypothetical situation there would be 2:20 left not the 2:50 that was left. The play by play has both PSU and Purdue calling time outs at this juncture. Not sure that is correct. I do know we burned a TO there.

-2nd and 6 and that is the Hail Mary that they overturned. Let's say they ran there for 3 yards and now it is 3rd and 3. If they run again and convert then ball game but that is highly unlikely they can convert to my opening point that they could not run well all night. So let's say PSU calls TOs after 2nd and third downs like they were the incomplete passes in terms of time running off. And PSU stops them on the 3rd down run.
What that means is instead of getting the ball back with 2:22 left and 2 timeouts you subtract the 30 seconds because they ran it earlier (hypothetically) and we did not call a TO. You assume the 2 run plays took as long as the 2 pass plays took. So we get the ball with 1:52 left and no timeouts.

That is still plenty of time as our drive only took 1:25. In fact that could have been better because Purdue only would have had 27 seconds to work with and not 57 seconds.

The bottom line is that even if Purdue tried to run the ball PSU was going to use TOs to preserve time and Purdue was not going to convert 3rd and 4 or more on the ground. Can you imagine if they tried and got stuffed. People would be criticizing Brohm for that.

Penn State won this game, it was NOT a case of Purdue totally blowing it with poor clock management. Putdue was going to lose either way by PSU taking it from them and making the clutch plays at the end. The haters don't like that narrative but IT IS THE TRUTH and the facts back it up. If anything PSU handed them 7 points with the pick 6.

is like a run play.

I didn’t say Purdue blew it because they didn’t run the ball.

is like a run play.

Allow me to put it another way, Purdues inability to run the ball and get first downs prevented them from keeping the ball away from Penn State.

Granted, Penn State’s defense had a lot to do about it in both stopping the run and forcing incomplete passes which stopped the clock without having to call time out.

FWIW, I do not believe Purdue handed the game to PSU, I believe it was a hard fought gutsy win.

As you know, an incomplete pass stops the clock, so there’s that, in addition, them running the ball would have forced us to use up our time outs, one of which we needed/ used.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you given the outcome, however, if they ran the ball and were able to get first downs running the ball, game over. But apparently they did not believe their run game was up to it.

There is absolutely nothing in that game that would lead anyone, let alone Brohm, to believe their run game was up to it. PSU shut their running game down all game. Not sure what it was, but Purdue's longest run-play from scrimmage was a single digit.

Wow, the AP and coaches hold PSU in light regard. Win on the road against a quality opponent and still out of the top 25. That’s elite.

Purdue is over. We won, but we could have easily lost. I did not anticipate a big jump up in the rankings. If we struggle against Ohio or can't run the ball, that will probably set the stage for the 2022 season. I noticed several analysts commenting that they did not expect much improvement in the offensive line throughout the year. I hope they are wrong, but probably basing that opinion on the last several years.

Purdue lost this game like we’ve lost games in the past, they couldn’t run the ball. When we lost those games was Wally on here saying the other team didn’t actually win the game? I think not…it only works one way for him.

I am very happy to be unranked - extra motivation and little pressure. We may start off 5-0, and that is when I worry that we then flip to overrated and arrogant and start laying some bad eggs mid-season. This is realistically a 7-8 win reg season if the running game struggles again. It is a 9-10 win reg season with an improved running game and serviceable linebacker play.

Ah, too early to say much yet.
Define quality opponent--maybe that's the disconnect here
I'm glad we won but we should beat Purdue every single time we play them simply based on talent and if we don't beat them we should be livid.
Celebrating a win against Purdue is...moot.

I'm glad we won but we should beat Purdue every single time we play them simply based on talent and if we don't beat them we should be livid.

If they are the 9-4 team they were last year this year, I'd say it's a quality win. If we are going by recruiting rankings, they aren't but 2 possible every year.

You can bet everyone who beat us last year felt it was a quality win even if our record wasn't great.

If they are the 9-4 team they were last year this year, I'd say it's a quality win. If we are going by recruiting rankings, they aren't but 2 possible every year.

You can bet everyone who beat us last year felt it was a quality win even if our record wasn't great.
That's where we disagree. A 9-4 Purdue team with that schedule isn't a quality team or at least one that pollsters are going to respect. I also don't count bowl games so 8-4.

We have more talent than almost everyone that beat us--the standards are different at different schools.

Purdue is over. We won, but we could have easily lost. I did not anticipate a big jump up in the rankings. If we struggle against Ohio or can't run the ball, that will probably set the stage for the 2022 season. I noticed several analysts commenting that they did not expect much improvement in the offensive line throughout the year. I hope they are wrong, but probably basing that opinion on the last several
I am very happy to be unranked - extra motivation and little pressure. We may start off 5-0, and that is when I worry that we then flip to overrated and arrogant and start laying some bad eggs mid-season. This is realistically a 7-8 win reg season if the running game struggles again. It is a 9-10 win reg season with an improved running game and serviceable linebacker play.
It is a 9-10 win reg season with an improved running game and serviceable linebacker play.
This!

We keep hearing about the great young backs, but they need running room to be a threat. We need the OLine including the Tight Ends to block much better.
We also need above average linebacker play against the run.

Auburn, Northwestern and Michigan will all try to line up and run the ball at our undersized tackles, (except Mustipher), and our young, inexperienced linebackers.

Reactions: LMTLION
Not sure I agree with that. I was there and the atmosphere was great. I think PSU beat a pretty good team on the road.

I'm still concerned about most of the same things I was last year, but I also see positives.

No kidding. Purdue's 4 losses last year were to ND, OSU, Wisconsin and Minn - 4 teams that went 40-10 as a group. Purdue also gave Iowa and MSU their first losses last year - Iowa and MSU came into the Purdue game 6-0 and 8-0, and ranked #2 and #3 in the Country, respectively. Purdue also beat Tenn in their bowl game, who is currently a ranked team. And as you pointed out, Purdue returns virtually their entire 2-Deep. LMAO that this road game is not a quality win for your season opener.

Florida is ranked #12 in the Country despite going 6-7 last year off the strength of beating Kentucky (a first game opponent similar to Purdue) @home??? (Florida was Unranked in the AP's season-opening poll prior to any games being played and is now ranked 12th off a very tight 29-26 win @home versus Kentucky??? And these polls are great "unbiased" barometers of team strength??? LMAO).

Florida beat #7 Utah week 1 and plays Kentucky this weekend.

Okay, Utah was 9-4 last year (just like Purdue) and three of those losses were to mediocre or worse teams (Utah lost to BYU, SDSU and Oregon State). Utah being ranked 6th in first poll is a joke as is elevating Florida from Unranked to 12th off the strength of beating a team that was 9-4 last year, had really bad losses last year (as compared to Purdue), had less impressive wins than Purdue last year and returned less than Purdue (oh yeah, the game was played @Florida, not @Utah). Florida's and Utah's ranking (Utah is still ranked #13 right behind Florida) are a perfect example of what a biased piece of nonsense the polls are.

No kidding. Purdue's 4 losses last year were to ND, OSU, Wisconsin and Minn - 4 teams that went 40-10 as a group. Purdue also gave Iowa and MSU their first losses last year - Iowa and MSU came into the Purdue game 6-0 and 8-0, and ranked #2 and #3 in the Country, respectively. Purdue also beat Tenn in their bowl game, who is currently a ranked team. And as you pointed out, Purdue returns virtually their entire 2-Deep. LMAO that this road game is not a quality win for your season opener.

Florida is ranked #12 in the Country despite going 6-7 last year off the strength of beating Kentucky (a first game opponent similar to Purdue) @home??? (Florida was Unranked in the AP's season-opening poll prior to any games being played and is now ranked 12th off a very tight 29-26 win @home versus Kentucky??? And these polls are great "unbiased" barometers of team strength??? LMAO).
Love your LMAO's. You know what is making me LMAO? The fact that you don't have a clue as to who played what opponents last weekend. ROTFLMAO!

Your game is sloppy there bushy, do a little research before you go spewing.

Love your LMAO's. You know what is making me LMAO? The fact that you don't have a clue as to who played what opponents last weekend. ROTFLMAO!

Your game is sloppy there bushy, do a little research before you go spewing.

Made not a licks bit of difference to my point - Utah was 9-4 last year, just like Purdue, and lost to much worse teams than Purdue did on average (Utah lost to BYU, SDSU, Oregon State and OSU. Purdue lost to ND, OSU, Wisconsin and Minn. Purdue's wins were much better than Utah's - MSU, Iowa and Tenn.). Lastly Florida played Utah @home, not on the road.

Made not a licks bit of difference to my point - Utah was 9-4 last year, just like Purdue, and lost to much worse teams than Purdue did on average (Utah lost to BYU, SDSU, Oregon State and OSU. Purdue lost to ND, OSU, Wisconsin and Minn. Purdue's wins were much better than Utah's - MSU, Iowa and Tenn.). Lastly Florida played Utah @home, not on the road.
I have no doubt that facts "make not a licks bit of difference" in any point you are trying to make. You and facts are usually "DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSITE".

So we never make the playoff then. You okay with that. Using your rules about talent always wins then you go to recruiting. Ours is somewhere in the 8-15 range. We should lose to Ohiya State every year. Works both ways. Have to wait until 2025 perhaps.

I agree here. Take a 2nd look at that Purdue schedule. They do not play Michigan, or Michigan state, OR Ohio State...it's not a joke to consider that team may finish 10-2 or 11-1.
Exactly. I'm not equating beating them with beating OSU nor Michigan, but they were a solid team. The Purdue poster did a pretty good job describing them. Experienced team, quick throws. Clifford's pick probably made the end closer than we would have liked, but surviving adversity is not teachable.

So we never make the playoff then. You okay with that. Using your rules about talent always wins then you go to recruiting. Ours is somewhere in the 8-15 range. We should lose to Ohiya State every year. Works both ways. Have to wait until 2025 perhaps.
Ohio State shouldn't pretend any conference win is a good win.
The point is simple--you're supposed to beat the teams you're better than--when you do, why celebrate?
We aren't supposed to beat Ohio State or Michigan based on talent--if we lose those games that's fine with me--just means we need a coach who can recruit better.

9 win team last year and returned more starters than any other team in the Big 10 including a 6th year qb that was 74% completion rate last year. Especially in game 1 on the road, that's a quality win.
We disagree--when is the last time Purdue beat us? Why should we ever lose to Purdue? Is there any doubt we have more talent?

We disagree--when is the last time Purdue beat us? Why should we ever lose to Purdue? Is there any doubt we have more talent?

The royal "we" LMAO. I'm pretty sure duhO$U lost to Purdue a couple years ago - gee, do tell, how could that ever happen.

Ohio State shouldn't pretend any conference win is a good win.
The point is simple--you're supposed to beat the teams you're better than--when you do, why celebrate?
We aren't supposed to beat Ohio State or Michigan based on talent--if we lose those games that's fine with me--just means we need a coach who can recruit better.

Too funny, scUM is 2-3 against PSU the last 5 years, so much for your vaunted theories.

The royal "we" LMAO. I'm pretty sure duhO$U lost to Purdue a couple years ago - gee, do tell, how could that ever happen.
Why do you keep claiming I'm an Ohio State fan? You don't even make sense.
If I was an Ohio State fan I wouldn't be angry that we continually underachieve

Too funny, scUM is 2-3 against PSU the last 5 years, so much for your vaunted theories.
And many, including myself, thought Harbaugh needed to go. He rebounded last year and we'll see if he continues to build upon that

Our issue are the countless bad losses that can't be excused. Being a fan isn't pretending everything is okay and we're in great shape. Be realistic for once.

Why do you keep claiming I'm an Ohio State fan? You don't even make sense.
If I was an Ohio State fan I wouldn't be angry that we continually underachieve

When did I say you were a duhO$U fan? Never did. I said you were a moron, and this post is just more proof of that.

When did I say you were a duhO$U fan? Never did. I said you were a moron, and this post is just more proof of that.
Wow--I don't believe in ignoring people but you might be the most ridiculous poster I've seen on any board ever which is telling so keep acting like a toddler.

And, yes, you continually imply I'm not a Penn State fan but an Ohio State fan

Wow--I don't believe in ignoring people but you might be the most ridiculous poster I've seen on any board ever which is telling so keep acting like a toddler.

And, yes, you continually imply I'm not a Penn State fan but an Ohio State fan

Talk about ridiculous - you can't find a single post of mine where I said you were a duhO$U fan moron, because I've never said it. Just because moron says it, doesn't make it so - quite the opposite in fact.

Everyone misses the point. Manny Diaz defense played shutdown football in the 4th quarter. No points allowed. When was the last time a Pry defense did that? I'll save you the trouble. The answer is never.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT