ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State enters week two unranked in coaches poll

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
Penn State comes up short in the coaches poll with 138 points. BYU comes in at No.25 with 170, Tennessee just outside as well with 143.

Penn State comes up short in the coaches poll with 138 points. BYU comes in at No.25 with 170, Tennessee just outside as well with 143.

Wow! Some major differences compared to the ESPN one.

Got less votes than Oregon who is probably still trying to remember why they agreed to play Georgia.

And the ESPN one isn't a real poll--you all know that right? It's just how they see things playing out

Yeah, espn poll is for their site only. They use AP poll for the graphics and talk.

Got less votes than Oregon who is probably still trying to remember why they agreed to play Georgia.

And the ESPN one isn't a real poll--you all know that right? It's just how they see things playing out

ESPN Ranking isn't a "Poll" whatsoever - it's a Ranking based on computer simulations and analysis. Here is a direct excerpt from the article describing how the ESPN FPI (Football Power Index) Rankings are done:
ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI) college football rankings are a measure of team strength that means to predict a team’s performance.

Projected rankings are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season. It uses a combination of analytics, including scores to date and a team’s remaining schedule.

The polls you're defending are far more subjective and specifically subject to bias. The ESPN FPI subjects every team to the same process and algorithms of their simulations.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
ESPN Ranking isn't a "Poll" whatsoever - it's a Ranking based on computer simulations and analysis. Here is a direct excerpt from the article describing how the ESPN FPI (Football Power Index) Rankings are done:

The polls you're defending are far more subjective and specifically subject to bias. The ESPN FPI subjects every team to the same process and algorithms of their simulations.

What are you talking about? I'm not "defending" anything. I'm saying the ESPN FPI isn't a poll as others were referring to it as. It's a projection. I don't understand where I lost you that you rambled this...

Purdue did far more to lose the game than we did to win it. We don't deserve to be ranked. Perhaps the pollsters learned from 2021 when faced with a similar situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski

As for the AP and Coaches Poll being awesome "objective" predictors.... LMFAO! AP has USC at #10 - what on earth is that based on, they were 4-8 last year and their record over the last 5 years is equally bad. They have Utah at #13, down from #6 Preaseason Initial Poll, at 0-1 after losing to previously Unranked Florida???? Florida is now #12 despite being "Unranked" previously based on beating Utah who has yet to record a win???? Baylor #9???? Okie State #11??? Miami #15 - based on what????

Purdue did far more to lose the game than we did to win it. We don't deserve to be ranked. Perhaps the pollsters learned from 2021 when faced with a similar situation.
You could say the same thing about NC State and Pitt…both teams’ opponents did more to lose the game than they did to win it but neither dropped in the poll. Also, Oregon got absolutely humiliated and did nothing to show they deserve to be ranked in the top 50, yet there they are. At least be consistent in your PSU bashing.

As for the AP and Coaches Poll being awesome "objective" predictors.... LMFAO! AP has USC at #10 - what on earth is that based on, they were 4-8 last year and their record over the last 5 years is equally bad. They have Utah at #13, down from #6 Preaseason Initial Poll, at 0-1 after losing to previously Unranked Florida???? Florida is now #12 despite being "Unranked" previously based on beating Utah who has yet to record a win???? Baylor #9???? Okie State #11??? Miami #15 - based on what????
And Oregon is #24 after being completely embarrassed…so they’re ranked based on looking like a high school team.

I am guessing they were too busy to see the best two-minute drill in the history of college football.

We’re terrible and we didn’t win, Purdue lost…don’t you read Wally’s posts? Get edumacated.
I try not to cause trouble. If someone else causes trouble, it is game on. But I try not to start fights.

giphy-7-1.gif

Reactions: bison13 and AWS1022
What are you talking about? I'm not "defending" anything. I'm saying the ESPN FPI isn't a poll as others were referring to it as. It's a projection. I don't understand where I lost you that you rambled this...

You're full of shit as per usual - direct quote from the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph of YOUR POST that I responded to: "And the ESPN one isn't a real poll...". Anybody familiar with sentence structure understands that you are categorizing "the ESPN one" with the other polls (i.e., AP and Coaches "Polls") and then discrediting it as not being "real" (i.e., nationally recognized) as it is internal to ESPN. The reality is that it isn't a "poll" format whatsoever jackass - it's a computer-based "Power Ranking" based on Monte Carlo Simulation (a statistical technique) along with an algorithm that ranks the average result of the Monte Carlo Simulations - but it is far more "objective" and far less "subjective" than the absurd "polls" that you are attempting to glorify as some awesome predictors of strength which they absolutely aren't as proven year after year.

• Love
I'd say the team that threw a pick 6 after scoring the go ahead TD and forcing 2 straight 3 and outs did more to lose the game, but that's just me.

You can't say Purdue should have run clock by running the ball. It's not their offense. Perhaps Brohm needs to add it, but it's not what they do.

Perhaps a better way to headline this would be: "Penn State moves up in the Coaches Poll, now just outside the top 25". Don't you think?

Where was that said? What are you rambling about....

You're full of shit as per usual - direct quote from the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph of YOUR POST that I responded to: "And the ESPN one isn't a real poll...". Anybody familiar with sentence structure understands that you are categorizing "the ESPN one" with the other polls (i.e., AP and Coaches "Polls") and then discrediting it as not being "real" (i.e., nationally recognized) as it is internal to ESPN. The reality is that it isn't a "poll" format whatsoever jackass - it's a computer-based "Power Ranking" based on Monte Carlo Simulation (a statistical technique) along with an algorithm that ranks the average result of the Monte Carlo Simulations - but it is far more "objective" and far less "subjective" than the absurd "polls" that you are attempting to glorify as some awesome predictors of strength which they absolutely aren't as proven year after year.
Isn't a real poll. It's not a poll. It's a predictor. I don't understand what you think you're discussing. The polls are the AP and Coaches. There's countless other indexes out there that are predictors. The poll isn't a predictor. You're literally arguing about nothing here. People incorrectly state the "ESPN Poll"--that's not a thing.

We’re terrible and we didn’t win, Purdue lost…don’t you read Wally’s posts? Get edumacated.

I laughed at that one as well - isn't it PSU who handed out the gift, giving Purdue the lead with only 8 minutes remaining via a Pick-6 Interception thrown on a 1st Down Play from midfield with the lead and the ball missing a wide-open PSU receiver (10 feet over his head) and basically camped under by the Purdue FS (a gift-wrapped WTF??? INT if I've ever seen one!). A huge momentum swing in the game and "shooting yourself in the foot", but PSU's defense rose to the occasion and PSU overcame the mistake with 80 Yard must-have final-possession TD to retake the lead.... and then PSU's Defense delivered yet again, shutting down, and completely stoning, a high-powered Purdue Passing game that had One Minute and 2 TOs remaining on their final drive. How is that Purdue "losing" more than PSU winning (insinuating that Purdue somehow gifted us the game, when the diametric opposite is true - PSU almost gifted the game to Purdue, but overcame their inexplicable mistake to still win - IOW, made it difficult on themselves, but overcame in a very hostile environment.).

How precisely did Purdue give us the game more than PSU winning it??? Was that posing PSU fan assclown even watching the same game as the rest of us???

I'd say the team that threw a pick 6 after scoring the go ahead TD and forcing 2 straight 3 and outs did more to lose the game, but that's just me.

You can't say Purdue should have run clock by running the ball. It's not their offense. Perhaps Brohm needs to add it, but it's not what they do.

Exactly, Purdue had 70 rushing yards on 23 attempts - there is zero evidence that Purdue exclusively running the ball after the Pick-6 would have generated a different result.

Well, yes and no. Penn State basically lost the game with a horrible pick six...then Purdue basically lost the game by failing to eat the clock, then Penn State basically won the game with a great drive, followed by a huge sack defensively. It worked both ways and this was a true 50-50 game that went into the win column. Recall last year we had won 2 of those 50-50 games in wisky and Auburn, then lost 3 of those same games to iowa, Michigan, and sparty. The other 2 were a horrible loss to Illinois and an expected loss to Ohio state. We're going to have 5 more of these 50-50 games this year and the idea is to go 4-1 or better.

I laughed at that one as well - isn't it PSU who handed out the gift, giving Purdue the lead with only 8 minutes remaining via a Pick-6 Interception thrown on a 1st Down Play from midfield with the lead and the ball missing a wide-open PSU receiver (10 feet over his head) and basically camped under by the Purdue FS (a gift-wrapped WTF??? INT if I've ever seen one!). A huge momentum swing in the game and "shooting yourself in the foot", but PSU's defense rose to the occasion and PSU overcame the mistake with 80 Yard must-have final-possession TD to retake the lead.... and then PSU's Defense delivered yet again, shutting down, and completely stoning, a high-powered Purdue Passing game that had One Minute and 2 TOs remaining on their final drive. How is that Purdue "losing" more than PSU winning (insinuating that Purdue somehow gifted us the game, when the diametric opposite is true - PSU almost gifted the game to Purdue, but overcame their inexplicable mistake to still win - IOW, made it difficult on themselves, but overcame in a very hostile environment.).

How precisely did Purdue give us the game more than PSU winning it??? Was that posing PSU fan assclown even watching the same game as the rest of us???
Sometimes the answer is "both things happened". In this case Purdue lost the game but Penn State won the game also. The thing that needs learning in this, is to develop a blueprint on HOW to win these close games. The 2016 team did that, but succession teams in 17 and 18 did not. Perhaps a clue in this win was uncovered when Penn States DEFENSE shut the door on Purdue in the 4th quarter...this was something that Pry's defenses never did: Hold down the game in the 4th quarter....IF, and this is A HUGE IF, but if Manny Diaz can build on this, and create a 4th quarter shut down mentality....we just might have something here.
We shall see...but I saw something in that Purdue game that I honestly have not seen from a defensive standpoint in a long time.

Wad-stache (Dave Wannstedt) said today on "BTN Today" that "PSU was winning the game, tried to seal the victory running the ball and just couldn't do it. Purdue then takes the lead and after they had the lead abandoned the run. They probably win the game if they simply run the ball...." or something to that effect. Wad-stache is always talking out his ass - first of all, PSU didn't "try to run the ball and failed after they had the lead" - complete bullshit, PSU's Pick-6 that gave Purdue the lead was a 1st Down throw from midfield on PSU's first series after taking the lead back 28-24 and holding Purdue to a 3-&-Out! Complete bullshit that PSU attempted to close out the game running the ball after taking the lead, but failed as Wad-stache claimed. Furthermore, there is ZERO evidence that Purdue changes the results if they elect to exclusively run after the Pick-6 -- Purdue had zero success running the ball on PSU they only had a total of 70 rushing yards on 23 carries. Again, zero evidence that suggests Purdue changes the result (a punt) if they choose to exclusively run after Pick-6 -- in fact, the evidence suggests the opposite.

Last edited:
  • Love
Sometimes the answer is "both things happened". In this case Purdue lost the game but Penn State won the game also. The thing that needs learning in this, is to develop a blueprint on HOW to win these close games. The 2016 team did that, but succession teams in 17 and 18 did not. Perhaps a clue in this win was uncovered when Penn States DEFENSE shut the door on Purdue in the 4th quarter...this was something that Pry's defenses never did: Hold down the game in the 4th quarter....IF, and this is A HUGE IF, but if Manny Diaz can build on this, and create a 4th quarter shut down mentality....we just might have something here.
We shall see...but I saw something in that Purdue game that I honestly have not seen from a defensive standpoint in a long time.

Agree with you completely regarding our 4th Qtr Defense - actually from midway through the 3rd. Purdue scored TDs on their 1st and 3rd Possession of the 2H to take a 24-21 lead midway through the 3rd Qtr. PSU's defense proceeded to stone Purdue for their remaining 5 possessions in the 2nd Half - stopped Purdue twice after the Pick-6 before scoring on our final possession, those stops were insanely huge and must have as Purdue had the momentum at home - we were dead in the water - Purdue takes a 2-score lead and we lose. The Defense then sealed the victory after the O delivered. The defense came up huge for the Offense.... and the Offense delivered for them - very gritty, grind to the end.... find a way to win, character- building victory.

Reactions: bytir

Yep, but you will never get Wally to admit that Penn State flat out won it. It's not like we had a winning drive in the final 2 minutes or anything like that.

Wad-stache (Dave Wannstedt) said today on "BTN Today" that "PSU was winning the game, tried to seal the victory running the ball and just couldn't do it. Purdue then takes the lead and after they had the lead abandoned the run. They probably win the game if they simply run the ball...." or something to that effect. Wad-stache is always talking out his ass - first of all, PSU didn't "try to run the ball and failed after they had the lead" - complete bullshit, PSU's Pick-6 that gave Purdue the lead was a 1st Down throw from midfield on PSU's first series after taking the lead back 28-24 and holding Purdue to a 3-&-Out! Complete bullshit that PSU attempted to close out the game running the ball after taking the lead, but failed as Wad-stache claimed. Furthermore, there is ZERO evidence that Purdue changes the results if they elect to exclusively run after the Pick-6 -- Purdue had zero success running the ball on PSU they only had a total of 70 rushing yards on 23 carries. Again, zero evidence that suggests Purdue changes the result (a punt) if they choose to exclusively run after Pick-6 -- in fact, the evidence suggests the opposite.
You have to remember that he is the guy who thought telling his players to ‘run faster’ was all they needed to do to win

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
The only thing I can think of that Purdue did to lose the game was them not running the ball their last two possession.

Clifford almost lost the game with the pick six, but redeemed himself with the last drive.

it looked like two solid teams playing a typical opening game with some positives and some questions for both teams.

Exactly, Purdue had 70 rushing yards on 23 attempts - there is zero evidence that Purdue exclusively running the ball after the Pick-6 would have generated a different result.
It would have eaten a bit more of the clock and forced us to use up timeouts, although I believe we still had one left so…..

ADVERTISEMENT