ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Blue-White Game: Offensive Observations

I would say the format was pretty offensive. B/W used to be a simulated game and one could follow along and see how different players performed. You could see if a QB had that on the field leadership that is so important. How a back got better with more carries. How teams worked together or got confused.

This format is nothing more than a practice in front of a crowd. Probably a bored and confused crowd. Running ten extra point/special teams plays in a row. Two QBs with the same number. No first down conversions or drives. Field position is totally a non issue.

Wonder how the players feel about it? There are kids that practice well but stink in a game. Others that suddenly stand out on games. Without a simulated game this aspect is gone. And their families don’t get the same feel and experience when they are allowed to attend what is nothing more than a glorified practice.

Personally , this format makes attending far less enjoyable. Perhaps that is why the crowds are much smaller now than ten years ago.

Last edited:
Clifford looks like the obvious choice to be the starter. CV looked like the worst QB of the bunch and the freshmen looked like freshmen. Should be a fun fall with this board implodes and blames Franklin for not starting CV.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I would say the format was pretty offensive. B/W used to be a simulated game and one could follow along and see how different players performed. You could see if a QB had that on the field leadership that is so important. How a back got better with more carries. How teams worked together or got confused.

This format is nothing more than a practice in front of a crowd. Probably a bored and confused crowd. Running ten extra point/special teams plays in a row. Two QBs with the same number. No first down conversions or drives. Field position is totally a non issue.

Wonder how the players feel about it? There are kids that practice well but stink in a game. Others that suddenly stand out on games. Without a simulated game this aspect is gone. And their families don’t get the same feel and experience when they are allowed to attend what is nothing more than a glorified practice.

Personally , this format makes attending far less enjoyable. Perhaps that is why the crowds are much smaller now than ten years ago.
Agree. CJF did say he prefers a true Blue White game format in his press conference after the event today, but it was best for the team today considering the OLine number (availability) issues. Remains to be seen going forward though, since injuries/portal transfers are something we’ll always be dealing with.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Clifford looks like the obvious choice to be the starter. CV looked like the worst QB of the bunch and the freshmen looked like freshmen. Should be a fun fall with this board implodes and blames Franklin for not starting CV.
What's fun about losing? If the board implodes then the team is probably losing.

If Cliff stays upright, he is easily the starter. DA is a long way from ready…his throws were quite underwhelming. Perhaps O$U did not offer for a reason?

Personally, I am expecting a repeat of 2021. And no, Clifford's injury wasn't the only thing that tanked the season. We were luckier than good early on and then reality struck. Clifford is a well above average QB. He has proven he can play at a very high level. The problem remains square peg round hole syndrome at many positions. Hopefully the Diaz hires fixes it up front on defense where a complete lack of a legit 5 technique on the roster caused causes problems all year. Offensively, the situation is still there up front where the majority of linemen were recruited and developed to play in JoeMo's man heavy hybrid blocking scheme. Some have the skillset to transition into MY's spread gap scheme with more experience, but most simply do not. It was a problem last year, will be a problem with year and will remain in 2023. Lastly, for all the scholarships we used (and wasted) on receivers, we still can't find a legit #1 or deep threat which means there as well.

Personally, I am expecting a repeat of 2021. And no, Clifford's injury wasn't the only thing that tanked the season. We were luckier than good early on and then reality struck. Clifford is a well above average QB. He has proven he can play at a very high level. The problem remains square peg round hole syndrome at many positions. Hopefully the Diaz hires fixes it up front on defense where a complete lack of a legit 5 technique on the roster caused causes problems all year. Offensively, the situation is still there up front where the majority of linemen were recruited and developed to play in JoeMo's man heavy hybrid blocking scheme. Some have the skillset to transition into MY's spread gap scheme with more experience, but most simply do not. It was a problem last year, will be a problem with year and will remain in 2023. Lastly, for all the scholarships we used (and wasted) on receivers, we still can't find a legit #1 or deep threat which means there as well.
You bring up some good points and quite possibly this is how it will play out for 2022. The flip side of your arguments would be the positives could come from improvement at the RB.....more balanced WR play and the TE play has to improve over last year. I do expect better running schemes because if we do what we did last year again then MY and CJF are going to start getting questions. Run more without the major runner being S. Clifford.

On Defense my concern is us getting mauled in our front 7. This defense may start a D Line that averages about 260 lbs. and LBs that average around 215 lbs. We will learn early when we go to Auburn with their running game can we muscle up and stop them from running the ball down our throat.

I do have confidence in our DBs especially at Safety....who knew that Brown let the country in interceptions with 6 last year??? Not sure how I missed that.....Porter if he stops getting flags, Wheatley, Brown, Ellis, Hardy, can all run....can all tackle and seem to have good ball skills.....

Lastly the other thing that concerns me is a lack of toughness especially on the OL and LBs I do not see our LBs getting off of blocks and making the tackle and I do not see our OL get any push.....even against Villanova we could not push them back.......

Reactions: psu1969a

That and the program is irrelevant!

Yesterday's glorified scrimmage was a waste of our time; glad that we stayed home and watched this poor excuse for a "Blue/White Game" on TV. BTW, the announcers were terrible.

Reactions: lilromeo
Yesterday's glorified scrimmage was a waste of our time; glad that we stayed home and watched this poor excuse for a "Blue/White Game" on TV. BTW, the announcers were terrible.
IT WAS NOT A 'GAME'!
Typical for James Franklin....not prepared. I watched many spring games over the years and have never seen a team so poorly prepared.

Reactions: lilromeo

As I watched the game I kept thinking about Fonzi and when he jumped the shark. If this is what the Blue-White "Game" has become it ought to be cancelled in the future.

As I watched the game I kept thinking about Fonzi and when he jumped the shark. If this is what the Blue-White "Game" has become it ought to be cancelled in the future.
It's truly sad when things don't change for the better. I loved the old format, especially with Joe doing color commentary and you could hear the frustration in his voice when a player screwed up.
Franklin should be up in the booth instead of running around the field spitting every five seconds.
The format sucks but most spring games are horrible anymore.

You bring up some good points and quite possibly this is how it will play out for 2022. The flip side of your arguments would be the positives could come from improvement at the RB.....more balanced WR play and the TE play has to improve over last year. I do expect better running schemes because if we do what we did last year again then MY and CJF are going to start getting questions. Run more without the major runner being S. Clifford.

On Defense my concern is us getting mauled in our front 7. This defense may start a D Line that averages about 260 lbs. and LBs that average around 215 lbs. We will learn early when we go to Auburn with their running game can we muscle up and stop them from running the ball down our throat.

I do have confidence in our DBs especially at Safety....who knew that Brown let the country in interceptions with 6 last year??? Not sure how I missed that.....Porter if he stops getting flags, Wheatley, Brown, Ellis, Hardy, can all run....can all tackle and seem to have good ball skills.....

Lastly the other thing that concerns me is a lack of toughness especially on the OL and LBs I do not see our LBs getting off of blocks and making the tackle and I do not see our OL get any push.....even against Villanova we could not push them back.......
I like the receiver position group but to me, the lack of a true number one or a player that really challenges the deep third has been an issue for years and a lot of it has to do with recruiting.

The front seven has some potential but a schematic shift is badly needed. I thought we were going to see a change a couple of years ago against Memphis in the bowl game when we played almost the entire game in an odd front but to no avail.

I like the receiver position group but to me, the lack of a true number one or a player that really challenges the deep third has been an issue for years and a lot of it has to do with recruiting.

The front seven has some potential but a schematic shift is badly needed. I thought we were going to see a change a couple of years ago against Memphis in the bowl game when we played almost the entire game in an odd front but to no avail.
Kaden Saunders could be a legit deep threat, though it may take a year or more for him to emerge.

Reactions: SR108

The format was not great for fans but I did see some positives.

I thought all the kickers were promising, punters included.

The first unit OLine in the first 11 on11 scrimmage was able to get push against the Defense

Keyvone Lee ran hard, did not dance and showed quickness.

Over all the receivers looked good as a group. Don’t know if we have a deep threat but they are solid with good depth.

The secondary is real good, showed good coverage in both 11 on 11 and 7 on 7. Even when there were completions, there was good coverage.

King at LB flashed in my opinion, was able to get off blocks read and react to the ball.

Although undersized, Durant flashed as well at DT. Hopefully he can be a disruptive force getting penetration inside.

Over all the QBs were ok. I think it is evident that Clifford has to be the starter. Depth is there but needs more time.

I actually thought the first unit got decent push at times. The first 11 in 11 with Lee running looked good and later on they opened good holes for Devyn Ford.

Kaytron Allen also had some holes and ran hard.

Still work to do, but Solid at both tackles and center.

You nailed it on the D Snoop! My god do we have any size on the DL except a very heavy and out of shape Mustipher that I saw being interviewed yesterday? Our DL and LBs looked service academy sized!! We are gonna get mauled this year again! Our best LB looks like Frank Deluca at 6'1 215!!!!! You gotta be kidding me! That is not gonna get it done this year! I saw nothing on D that gave me any hope that Manny can come in and right the ship quick. Not with the talent we putting out there

• Haha
Reactions: PearlandLion
I actually thought the first unit got decent push at times. The first 11 in 11 with Lee running looked good and later on they opened good holes for Devyn Ford.

Kaytron Allen also had some holes and ran hard.

Still work to do, but Solid at both tackles and center.
Wallace at OT is nightmare! Move him inside where his lack of feet isn't so pronounced and his bulk can be used to simple take up space more effectively. Move Tengwell out to RT if possible. He has to be better than Wallace. The Cornell guy should be tried at RT along with Effner. I can't believe that they are not better than Wallace. Wallace will get Clifford killed in game one against a killer like Karloftysis at Purdue.

Wallace at OT is nightmare! Move him inside where his lack of feet isn't so pronounced and his bulk can be used to simple take up space more effectively. Move Tengwell out to RT if possible. He has to be better than Wallace. The Cornell guy should be tried at RT along with Effner. I can't believe that they are not better than Wallace. Wallace will get Clifford killed in game one against a killer like Karloftysis at Purdue.
Fortunately Karlaftis will be drafted later this week.

Reactions: psu skp and bison13
Sorry for a question that probably has already been answered, but why is our OLine having trouble already? I’ve been waiting years for something dominant.

I’m dumbfounded we keep playing Wallace at RT. He’s a guard all the way! Doesn’t have the quickness to handle spied rushers. Wallace will be a very very good guard if given the opportunity.

Reactions: bison13
Nothing about the game answered the biggest issue which is our O Line was terrible last year. Lee looked good and seems to have improved so he will be the starter. Although unless he gets some blocking our running game will still be a big challenge. Singleton and Allen are going to be good for us and I love how Singleton can catch the ball well. That is a new weapon for us.

I think our defense will be okay. Biggest issues are getting a pass rusher to help out Issac (hopefully in the portal) and our LBs holding up. A big drop off after Jacobs, need at least another guy to step up. Secondary is excellent which will cover some of those issues. Diaz is an upgrade over Pry in my opinion and he will be more aggressive with his playcalling.

Allar was underwhelming but he is a Freshman, still thought he would look better given all the hype. Veilleux showed some flashes. Pribula looked pretty good from what I saw, has great running ability. Clifford will be the starter as we all know and I did not see anything that tells me he has improved.

I do like the receivers, no Dotson out there but we have quality depth. I hope we have a plan to use TEs. I did not notice any of them. Did they even get a ball thrown to them?

Kickers looked good. Punter, not sure.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
You nailed it on the D Snoop! My god do we have any size on the DL except a very heavy and out of shape Mustipher that I saw being interviewed yesterday? Our DL and LBs looked service academy sized!! We are gonna get mauled this year again! Our best LB looks like Frank Deluca at 6'1 215!!!!! You gotta be kidding me! That is not gonna get it done this year! I saw nothing on D that gave me any hope that Manny can come in and right the ship quick. Not with the talent we putting out there
Yep. We will struggle to be bowl eligible whatever that means these days. Program is stale.

Lack of toughness is tbe calling card of Franklin teams at PSU. Everyone has figured that out (see Illinois game last year).

Going to be a tough year (again!). 8-4 ceiling, 5-7 floor.

Lack of toughness is tbe calling card of Franklin teams at PSU. Everyone has figured that out (see Illinois game last year).

Going to be a tough year (again!). 8-4 ceiling, 5-7 floor.
I don't see us at 5-7 barring significant injuries like Clifford and some key defensive guys. I think we push to 10-2 as upside and don't see worse than 7-5.
Those 5 losses being Purdon't, Awfulburn, scUM, OHowIHate and either IU or Sparty. To get to 7 losses digs pretty deep into the negativity box but yeah anything is possible. Losing to Minny or NW at home while also losing to IU and then Sparty at home, ouch!

On the positive side we could beat everyone except scUM and Ohiya. Maybe beat Ohiya finally at our Whiteout but if we do that I can see Franklin blowing some other game just when we think we could win the East. Still 10-2 could happen.

I’m dumbfounded we keep playing Wallace at RT. He’s a guard all the way! Doesn’t have the quickness to handle spied rushers. Wallace will be a very very good guard if given the opportunity.
Well, who else? Going to put Tengwell or Christ out there?

I don't see us at 5-7 barring significant injuries like Clifford and some key defensive guys. I think we push to 10-2 as upside and don't see worse than 7-5.
Those 5 losses being Purdon't, Awfulburn, scUM, OHowIHate and either IU or Sparty. To get to 7 losses digs pretty deep into the negativity box but yeah anything is possible. Losing to Minny or NW at home while also losing to IU and then Sparty at home, ouch!

On the positive side we could beat everyone except scUM and Ohiya. Maybe beat Ohiya finally at our Whiteout but if we do that I can see Franklin blowing some other game just when we think we could win the East. Still 10-2 could happen.
10-2? Would love to see it..,but that is fantasy land. The defense that was pushed around by Illinois (and others) is weaker in 2022 than 2021.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
Well, who else? Going to put Tengwell or Christ out there?
I would put Effner out there. We keep using him as band-aid to fill-in at 4 OL spots. Leave him at RT and let him master the position. He has better feet than Wallace when I have seen him play RT.

10-2? Would love to see it..,but that is fantasy land. The defense that was pushed around by Illinois (and others) is weaker in 2022 than 2021.
You are right. Our DL looks tiny based on what I saw at the BW game. Brevard leaving doesn't help and I was disappointed in how Mustipher looked when being interviewed by McGloin. He is easily carrying 30-40 pounds of blubber on him. He should be on that exercise bike for at least an hour a day and meeting with the team nutritionist. If he comes out of camp and that weight he will be gassed by halfway through the second quarter. Big red flags on the DL and LB this year.

You are right. Our DL looks tiny based on what I saw at the BW game. Brevard leaving doesn't help and I was disappointed in how Mustipher looked when being interviewed by McGloin. He is easily carrying 30-40 pounds of blubber on him. He should be on that exercise bike for at least an hour a day and meeting with the team nutritionist. If he comes out of camp and that weight he will be gassed by halfway through the second quarter. Big red flags on the DL and LB this year.
and the extra weight will make his recovery from knee injury slower/ harder. Big guys often have difficulty recovering from knee injuries and the extra weight makes it that much harder

Mustipher will be okay. You don't know the details of his rehab. Issac will be a boost. We picked up Robinson from Maryland as another edge rusher. We have a better DC also. Secondary is good, little to no drop off there. Clifford will be better and healthier. Singleton is a difference maker AND can catch the ball so that is a new wrinkle.
Gotta have better O-Line play versus last year, hard not to. We'll see. Have a hard time believing we lose 7 games or even 5. That means Purdue. Auburn and who....Sparty, beats us at home along with the little 2.

I think Clifford's injury cost PSU at least 2 games. We definitely beat Iowa and Illinois.

The Mustipher loss was also big.

We
I think Clifford's injury cost PSU at least 2 games. We definitely beat Iowa and Illinois.

The Mustipher loss was also big.
Agree. We may have also beaten scUM and/or Sparty with Mustipher. We don't know how much the Clifford injury impacted him once he returned.

Reactions: bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT