ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State announces 2022-23 Wrestling Schedule with two BJC Duals

All joking aside, Iowa has a really good team. They do have 4 AA locks (125, 141, 197, 285) and the rest of the team can AA except 157 since it's an unknown there but would need the right draw.

125 - Assuming remotely good health, Spencer is good for upper 20 points. He got 24.5 on no ACLs in 2021.
133 - Teske is solid and might be better at 133 than 125. 133 is pretty open after the Top 3 so can see him AAing.
141 - I'm actually lower on Woods than many. The reason I say that is I don't think he's a lock for the finals, he's just defaulting into that position for now since he is the 2nd highest returner. I don't think he's improved since his freshman year as he was right there with Luke Pletcher in 2019 (IIRC he got Luke's leg in SV and Luke somehow funked out and got the TD instead)
149 - IMO I think Murin is what he is at this point. Expecting some jump out of him as a 6th year is unrealistic but he has been on the cusp of AAing for 3 years now so just a different draw might push him through.
157 - Don't think they have anything but room guys here
165 - Kennedy is a talented high motor guy, pretty similar to Marinelli. It's a deep weight class but he did just work Peyton Hall in freestyle. Can't see him high AA'ing with who's there but would definitely put money on him AAing rather than not right now.
174 - I wouldn't expect many points from Iowa here, especially since Nelson's health is a major unknown.
184 - Assad is a kid that could AA with the right draw or go 1-2 with the wrong one.
197 - Warner is Mr. Reliable. He isn't getting worse than 5th. He could win it also. Candidly, I thought he got a better draw than Max last year as the 6 seed lol.
285 - Cassioppi is a Top 5 lock (depending on draw, I expect Gable back) with bonus potential. I still think he was better when he was pudgy to be honest. He couldn't beat Parris when Parris had no use of an arm so can't see him figuring that out this year. I also don't think he matches up with Mount Cohlton Schultz as well anymore. Would like to see Kerk finally figure him out and I think the fact Kerk is taking that NWCA match shows he is mentally confident.
Kennedy is going to AA in the deepest weight of the season at 165? Come on, man.

All joking aside, Iowa has a really good team. They do have 4 AA locks (125, 141, 197, 285) and the rest of the team can AA except 157 since it's an unknown there but would need the right draw.

125 - Assuming remotely good health, Spencer is good for upper 20 points. He got 24.5 on no ACLs in 2021.
133 - Teske is solid and might be better at 133 than 125. 133 is pretty open after the Top 3 so can see him AAing.
141 - I'm actually lower on Woods than many. The reason I say that is I don't think he's a lock for the finals, he's just defaulting into that position for now since he is the 2nd highest returner. I don't think he's improved since his freshman year as he was right there with Luke Pletcher in 2019 (IIRC he got Luke's leg in SV and Luke somehow funked out and got the TD instead)
149 - IMO I think Murin is what he is at this point. Expecting some jump out of him as a 6th year is unrealistic but he has been on the cusp of AAing for 3 years now so just a different draw might push him through.
157 - Don't think they have anything but room guys here
165 - Kennedy is a talented high motor guy, pretty similar to Marinelli. It's a deep weight class but he did just work Peyton Hall in freestyle. Can't see him high AA'ing with who's there but would definitely put money on him AAing rather than not right now.
174 - I wouldn't expect many points from Iowa here, especially since Nelson's health is a major unknown.
184 - Assad is a kid that could AA with the right draw or go 1-2 with the wrong one.
197 - Warner is Mr. Reliable. He isn't getting worse than 5th. He could win it also. Candidly, I thought he got a better draw than Max last year as the 6 seed lol.
285 - Cassioppi is a Top 5 lock (depending on draw, I expect Gable back) with bonus potential. I still think he was better when he was pudgy to be honest. He couldn't beat Parris when Parris had no use of an arm so can't see him figuring that out this year. I also don't think he matches up with Mount Cohlton Schultz as well anymore. Would like to see Kerk finally figure him out and I think the fact Kerk is taking that NWCA match shows he is mentally confident.
Iowa always has a "good" team. Almost always somewhere between 3rd and 5th. I would expect 1 champ (Spencer) and a total of 5 or 6 AAs with a solid 3rd place finish.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
"MSU158" who might be the hater-of-all
Probably has bigger issues than PSU and Cael going on (if you know anything about the multiple threads HR deleted a little ways back). Might just be trying to engratiate himself with the HR constituency.

There are always views to a path to the championship. Some just take greater leaps of faith than others.

I'll take his prediction as a positive sign, given my assessment of the quality of his judgment (or lack thereof).

This is usually HR standard for April postings.
Max at 149. For a perennial QF loser, 6th seems like a possibility. The funny part is he thinks Max gets 2 bonus points.
17.5 from 174 and 184 combined is even funnier.
Apparently 141 is a step over for Woods. I am not sure where Bartlett finishes, but it will be ahead of Woods.
PSU finishes ahead of Iowa at 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197 and Hwt, but hey the Hawks have a shot.
They did have 9 scoring wrestlers, so championship contention goes without saying.

Kennedy is going to AA in the deepest weight of the season at 165? Come on, man.
To add the detail:

There are 9 returning medalists for 8 spots: O'Toole (1), Griffith (1), Carr (1), Monday (2), Amine (4), Hamiti (6), Kharchla (7), Hall (8), Sheets (8).

Plus R12s Ramirez, McCoy.

Plus Facundo.

Perhaps Kennedy could reach the podium, but it's far from a sure thing.

BTW, Kennedy lost to Hall at the 2022 Scuffle. The freestyle win might show improvement, but doesn't establish certainty.

Reactions: diggerpup
I would settle for first period pins but then again, I'm pretty easygoing.

That's fine, too. But it's not as crushing as someone getting DQd for 6.

This is one of the most humiliating losses I've seen in a long time:

I would settle for first period pins but then again, I'm pretty easygoing.

That's fine, too. But it's not as crushing as someone getting DQd for 6.

This is one of the most humiliating losses I've seen in a long time:

It can’t be worse than Ole Noodle Arms pinning every Iowa opponent in under a minute. That’s not just embarrassing, it’s legendary!
See, to me, getting beaten because the other guy is simply better than you isn't embarrassing.

But to put so much physiological and psychological pressure on someone that they basically stop wrestling, despite four warnings from the referee? To quit wrestling, on live TV? That's bad.

To add the detail:

There are 9 returning medalists for 8 spots: O'Toole (1), Griffith (1), Carr (1), Monday (2), Amine (4), Hamiti (6), Kharchla (7), Hall (8), Sheets (8).

Plus R12s Ramirez, McCoy.

Plus Facundo.

Perhaps Kennedy could reach the podium, but it's far from a sure thing.

BTW, Kennedy lost to Hall at the 2022 Scuffle. The freestyle win might show improvement, but doesn't establish certainty.
Disrespectful to include Facundo, but leave out John Martin Best and Caleb Fish smh...;)

Reactions: El-Jefe and hlstone
Some intriguing lightweight matches in the first two months of the season. Not sure exactly who we’ll face at collegiate duals.
Robbie vs #7 B Kaylor OrSt
Robbie vs #13 A Noto LH
Robbie vs #17 J Trombley NC ST
RBY vs #3 V Arujau COR
Beau vs #22 R Jack NC ST
SVN vs #1 Yianni COR
SVN vs #13 D Demas Cal Poly
SVN vs #14 C Realbuto N IA
SVN vs #17 Q Kinner RID

A lot of opportunities for young SVN to show out.
Any chance SVN has a Zain vs Stieber moment against Yanni? I think Yanni is more talented than Stieber. SVN is pure optimistic anticipation at this point for all of us. We think we know what we have in this kid, and he alone is going to make the next 3 months so enjoyable. Oh did I hear a whisper of Facundo, Haines, and Howard out there?

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Is this what that Neanderthal wrote ?

(I had to use the incognito browser because of their snowflake ban hammer)
———
actually, that is well over 120 points based on reasonable bonus projections for those placements. If they score that, they have a pretty decent chance to win it all. Add an extra 4 for Warner and they would almost assuredly score well over 120 in that hypothetical and PSU doesn't really project for much more than that as of now...

Just using those projected placements:
125: 1st. With it being Lee here, I would say 26 is conservative
133: DNP Being that either guy should be top 15ish, 2 points is fair.
141: 1st. Woods isn't too much of a bonus guy, so lets say 22.
149: 6th You get 6 just for taking 6th. So let's say he goes 4-3, winning 2 on the front and 2 on the back to take 6th. Give him 1 bonus on the front and 1 on the back. That is 11 total points with 3 advancement and 2 bonus.
157: ZERO
165: 8th Even as deep as this weight is he should get first round killing of someone and 1 in wrestle backs. So that is 3 for 8th, plus 2.5 advancement and 2 bonus. So, lets say 7.5
174: 8th I would say 1 less bonus from Nelson, so 6.5
184: 6th Say the same as Murin. 11
197: 2nd Jacob isn't much for bonus, so I would say 17 for 2nd and 21 if he gets that "must take" 1st.
285: 1st If Cass were actually able to win it all, I think he would get a couple pins early, but no bonus after that so 24

So, that is 127-131 based on those predictions with, what I at least think is very reasonable bonus points. If they score that, PSU will need to damn near be perfect to win...
There is another HR poster who said this relative to a shootout between Iowa and PSU at nationals

"If it indeed comes down to Warner, I like our chances."

I think Tom Ryan said the same thing about Miles.

I resisted the urge to post that over there.

Any chance SVN has a Zain vs Steiber moment against Yanni? I think Yanni is more talented than Steiber. SVN is pure optimistic anticipation at this point for all of us. We think we know what we have in this kid, and he alone is going to make the next 3 months so enjoyable. Oh did I hear a whisper of Facundo, Haynes, and Howard out there?
I’m not gonna go that far. I will say I’m incredibly excited to see SVN and think he’s gonna have a fantastic year that culminates in his earning his first of four AAs!

Any chance SVN has a Zain vs Steiber moment against Yanni? I think Yanni is more talented than Steiber. SVN is pure optimistic anticipation at this point for all of us. We think we know what we have in this kid, and he alone is going to make the next 3 months so enjoyable. Oh did I hear a whisper of Facundo, Haynes, and Howard out there?
This grossly undervalues Zain.

RBY Vito is strait up fire, have they ever met?
Vito lit him up in the U23 Trials finals a few years ago. Two techs. Ragdolled him pretty good, but it was a while ago and in freestyle. Still an interesting match up because Vito might be the only guy who can match his speed. I'd expect it to be close and for RBY to have a tailored game plan for him in March.

See, to me, getting beaten because the other guy is simply better than you isn't embarrassing.

But to put so much physiological and psychological pressure on someone that they basically stop wrestling, despite four warnings from the referee? To quit wrestling, on live TV? That's bad.
Ok….let’s compromise. Be like Nolf. Play with your food, mercilessly until the last stall call….then pin them!

God bless old @jammenz - still tilting at those money windmills
Yeah, what he's really saying is: these don't exist.

CNote.jpg

Vito lit him up in the U23 Trials finals a few years ago. Two techs. Ragdolled him pretty good, but it was a while ago and in freestyle. Still an interesting match up because Vito might be the only guy who can match his speed. I'd expect it to be close and for RBY to have a tailored game plan for him in March.

2018. No, Vito can't match his speed. This is 5 years later and it's not happening.

RBY has jumped multiple levels since 2018, both technically and physically. He jumped a level after his freshman year (when he was 8th) and seemingly 2 levels after his sophomore year (when he looked Top 4) and hasn't lost since.

It's similar to Nick Lee, Clarke and Eierman both tried to throw him with moves that probably pin him as a true freshman (like Diehl did) and neither were remotely close to working. Taking Lee down is also very difficult when his sophomore year he still struggled defending at times (think matches against Moran and Demas)

Do you think Plott could still take Starocci right now?

Our guys jump levels.

3 of 6 wrestler names misspelled. That's an F. This ain't Jeopardy.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Is it bad that I want Carter or AB to stall Brands or Assad out of the match? The most embarrassing possible way to lose.
It isn't going to happen in the BJC match. The refs PSU hires seem to go out of their way not to be accused of being a Cael homer.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Iowa always has a "good" team. Almost always somewhere between 3rd and 5th. I would expect 1 champ (Spencer) and a total of 5 or 6 AAs with a solid 3rd place finish.
Bingo. If they aren’t in the top 3 it’s a bad year. The program looks a lot in the rear view mirror vs. the open road, but they are still in the car.

Reactions: nitlion6
RBY has jumped multiple levels since 2018, both technically and physically. He jumped a level after his freshman year (when he was 8th) and seemingly 2 levels after his sophomore year (when he looked Top 4) and hasn't lost since.

It's similar to Nick Lee, Clarke and Eierman both tried to throw him with moves that probably pin him as a true freshman (like Diehl did) and neither were remotely close to working. Taking Lee down is also very difficult when his sophomore year he still struggled defending at times (think matches against Moran and Demas)

Do you think Plott could still take Starocci right now?

Our guys jump levels.
that's why i said it would be close. i'd take rby for sure, but it will be tight. he always wrestles tight matches against elite competition. i would be stunned if vito scored at will on him again.

i do think vito can match his speed. they're probably the two fastest guys in the country at any weight. i think rby will be patient and take advantage when vito makes a mistake, which he does often. you also never quite know what you're going to get with vito . one week he nearly techs glory. a week and a half later he loses to him.

ADVERTISEMENT