ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Alumni Association now charging for away game tailgates.

$25 seems a small price to pay to hang out w/ such an elite group of brown-nosers and backstabbers. Will there be baked goods for sale I wonder?

I'd like to think $25 gets you snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, but maybe not. Maybe $25 just allows you to enter the tent and be in the company of the beautiful people (clifford the big red dog, sandy, sandy's entourage, etc.).

This was noted a few days ago. Probably a good thing for me as one of these days I would have let those folks know what I thought of them.

It's funny (and sad) how PSU is becoming an elitist institution. Maybe they should give their Land Grant status back.

This was noted a few days ago. Probably a good thing for me as one of these days I would have let those folks know what I thought of them.

It's funny (and sad) how PSU is becoming an elitist institution. Maybe they should give their Land Grant status back.

Thanks. I missed the discussion. My wife and I look forward to the alumni pep rallies at away games, but I don't see spending $50 for us to attend in the future. Then again, my wife might decide for the both of us. ;)

In all seriousness, you may be onto something about speaking your mind at these tailgates. I have not witnessed heated discussions with any Penn State officials over the past few years, but I could have missed them. Regardless, I'm sure many people have communicated their dissatisfaction. I did so calmly to Roger Williams a few times. It could just be that officials are tired of the complaints and are thinking that the complainers won't spend money to attend. That would be the Penn State Way -- Pretend all is well by tuning out the dissenters rather than listening to them and improving the situation.

Thanks. I missed the discussion. My wife and I look forward to the alumni pep rallies at away games, but I don't see spending $50 for us to attend in the future. Then again, my wife might decide for the both of us. ;)

In all seriousness, you may be onto something about speaking your mind at these tailgates. I have not witnessed heated discussions with any Penn State officials over the past few years, but I could have missed them. Regardless, I'm sure many people have communicated their dissatisfaction. I did so calmly to Roger Williams a few times. It could just be that officials are tired of the complaints and are thinking that the complainers won't spend money to attend. That would be the Penn State Way -- Pretend all is well by tuning out the dissenters rather than listening to them and improving the situation.
JQcalmpic2.jpg

Yup. It will be interesting to see if attendance at these pep rallies drops. It should be easy enough for an outsider to look inside the tent and get an idea of the attendance.
It would almost have to. Unless it turns out that the value received for monies paid is actually good. But I'm not holding my breath. It wasn't half the time when they tried it for home games with Tailgreat (running out of food for one). And I almost expect a VIP tent next to the main tent. I also expect it will be required if you participate in any tours through PSU.

I'd like to think $25 gets you snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, but maybe not. Maybe $25 just allows you to enter the tent and be in the company of the beautiful people (clifford the big red dog, sandy, sandy's entourage, etc.).

Sandy and her entourage will make a cameo appearance to see the peasants since after all they did pay money for their snacks and cash bar... who doesn't like pigs in a blanket for $25... before they will move on to their roman feast...
roman_feast_table.jpg

We go often. The presenters are sometimes great and other times awful. Last year one professor was so good members of the audience wanted to take his course. Another was so dry if he was on PBS, I would have changed channels.

The Alumni Association provides coffee, sweet rolls, juice, bagels, granola, etc

Reactions: Zenophile
Yup. It will be interesting to see if attendance at these pep rallies drops. It should be easy enough for an outsider to look inside the tent and get an idea of the attendance.

I think that is the plan...force out the "riff-raff" and then issue gratis tixs to the "cool people" and other BOT toadies.

I've been to a lot of away games and generally stop by the tent for a bank pin. I rarely stay for more than a few minutes. No way I'm paying $25 for that.

$25 (less for children) is pretty steep. I go to this event to see friends and enjoy the spirit of Nittany Lion, band, etc. not for higher end food which I assume would now be provided. I would expect significant improvement in the location as well, as the tent is usually quite a hike from the stadium. I noticed no discount for those who purchased the "premium" alumni association membership. I wonder how the fee will impact Friday night events often sponsored by the local chapter as a fund raiser, with some of the money going to scholarships. Something around $10 would be ok, and be more inclusive. Not sure what the purpose of this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvilleelkscoach
$25 (less for children) is pretty steep. I go to this event to see friends and enjoy the spirit of Nittany Lion, band, etc. not for higher end food which I assume would now be provided. I would expect significant improvement in the location as well, as the tent is usually quite a hike from the stadium. I noticed no discount for those who purchased the "premium" alumni association membership. I wonder how the fee will impact Friday night events often sponsored by the local chapter as a fund raiser, with some of the money going to scholarships. Something around $10 would be ok, and be more inclusive. Not sure what the purpose of this is.
I definitely will be interested to see the impact, as our local alumni club hosts such an event in Columbus every other year.

I'll put an early notice for that here....

PSU vs OSU Pep Rally and Fundraiser:
Save the Date! Friday October 27, is the eve of the Penn State / Ohio State football game. That night We Are hosting a charity fundraiser at the Polaris Quaker Steak and Lube. Proceeds will benefit our local scholarship fund.
When: Friday, October 27, 2017
Where: Quaker Steak & Lube (8500 Lyra Drive, Columbus, OH 43240)

Reactions: Fizz1
Makes it easier to decide not to go

There is not $25 in value in these events. We've probably been to 20 of these over the years. It'll just be super old people who go on the bus tours to the games now and a few curious people who get swindled once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT