ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State 2019 Season articles

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
iu

Good look at the depth chart...

Projecting Penn State's 2019 depth chart: A look at each position after NFL draft decisions, early signing period

QUARTERBACKS

penn-state-practice-sept-5-2018-f362db65c8dacf94.jpg

Penn State quarterbacks Trace McSorley, Tommy Stevens and Sean Clifford look on as offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne gives instruction during practice on Sept. 5, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Penn State will play without Trace McSorley in 2019 for the first time since 2015. That change is the No. 1 reason being given by national publications for keeping the Lions’ “way-too-early” 2019 rankings in check. The safe assumption once looked to be that Tommy Stevens was the heir apparent for the job, but between his injury and Sean Clifford’s glimpses of promise, the position could come down to a legitimate competition this summer. James Franklin has good options either way and more depth than he ever has at Penn State.

Priority No. 1: It’s crucial for Penn State to get Tommy Stevens healthy from the injury that lingered most of the season and ultimately required surgery. Without knowing the extent of the injury or Stevens’ recovery timetable, it’s hard to know if a return for spring practice is possible. The sooner he gets back, the faster he can work his way into the competition with Clifford.

Help is on the way: Franklin has spoke often about his desire to get two quarterbacks in the same recruiting class, and in 2019 he did. Michael Johnson Jr. is an electric athlete with a live, loose arm and dynamic ability as a runner. Taquan Roberson hovers around 6-feet and is a mature decision-maker with poise and accuracy, which fits the same M.O. as McSorley.

QB depth chart in 2019

R-Sr. Tommy Stevens (6-5/240)
R-So. Sean Clifford (6-2/219)
R-Fr. Will Levis (6-3/226)
Fr. Michael Johnson Jr. (6-3/192)
Fr. Taquan Roberson (6-0/185)

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article225196040.html

“It’s difficult to see guys leave. It’s kind of the nature of college football at this point, just the landscape of it,” Gillikin told the CDT. “I think we have a really good leadership group on our team right now. Maybe guys who weren’t leaders on the team last year but have stepped up into that spotlight. I think guys are responding to it really well.”

“Every situation is different,” the punter said. “Guys move on every year for different reasons, and I think most of our guys have graduated and made that decision for themselves.”

That’s true. Ten of the 12 confirmed transfers either have their undergraduate degrees already or will be securing them in the spring.

“The new rules have changed stuff. The portal has changed how stuff is handled,” Gillikin added. “But we’re trying to put all that stuff behind us and focus on our offseason work.”

Gillikin said a “core group” of leaders, including quarterback Tommy Stevens, safety Garrett Taylor, linebacker Cam Brown, cornerback John Reid and offensive linemen Michal Menet, Steven Gonzalez and Will Fries, have stepped up this offseason.

Reactions: JoeFi
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...range-Nick-Bowers-Jonathan-Holland-128862910/

Post-Signing Day Position Review: Tight ends
ByTYLER DONOHUE

Newcomers

Brenton Strange enrolled on campus in January, becoming Penn State's third blue-chip addition at tight end in a one-year span. The Parkersburg (W.V.) High School product seriously considered Notre Dame and Ohio State before concluding his recruitment last October.

He is a dynamic receiving threat with plenty of room for development on his physical frame. Strange, listed 6-foot-4, 214 pounds upon signing, recorded a career-best 65 receptions for 1,083 yards this season. Bowen noted Strange clocked a 4.6-second 40-yard dash during his appearance at a Penn State prospect camp.

2019 Outlook

This conversation begins with Pat Freiermuth, the favorite to earn 2019 preseason first-team All-Big Ten honors after his Freshman All-American campaign.

Freiermuth led all conference tight ends in 2018 with eight touchdown catches and recorded multiple receptions in the final five contests. Like Freiermuth, Zack Kuntz was a top-10 tight end recruit in the 2018 class. Standing 6-7, he delivered some eye-opening plays on the practice field while redshirting last season and a full year of physical progress provides optimism for upcoming opportunities.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...range-Nick-Bowers-Jonathan-Holland-128862910/

Post-Signing Day Position Review: Tight ends
ByTYLER DONOHUE

Newcomers

Brenton Strange enrolled on campus in January, becoming Penn State's third blue-chip addition at tight end in a one-year span. The Parkersburg (W.V.) High School product seriously considered Notre Dame and Ohio State before concluding his recruitment last October.

He is a dynamic receiving threat with plenty of room for development on his physical frame. Strange, listed 6-foot-4, 214 pounds upon signing, recorded a career-best 65 receptions for 1,083 yards this season. Bowen noted Strange clocked a 4.6-second 40-yard dash during his appearance at a Penn State prospect camp.

Judge, in your opinion, could Strange be looked at as a replacement for Juwan Johnson at WR rather than as a TE? JJ was llsted as 6-4, 225, and I doubt his speed was much faster than Strange's 4.6.

Judge, in your opinion, could Strange be looked at as a replacement for Juwan Johnson at WR rather than as a TE? JJ was llsted as 6-4, 225, and I doubt his speed was much faster than Strange's 4.6.

I think I just read that we will have 8 scholarship wide receivers (as of right now) for 2019. At tight end, we have two seniors who will be leaving, and then Strange will be 3rd string in 2020. So if you consider that most true freshman aren't ready to contribute right away and consider 2020 to be the year when Strange will be able to help, we need him more as the 3rd string tight end than wherever he would fall on the WR depth chart.

People hate hearing this, but we also have some walk on wide receivers that JF really likes. He mentioned them in his presser, names aren't coming to me right now. But for depth purposes, seems like they will be ok.

I think I just read that we will have 8 scholarship wide receivers (as of right now) for 2019. At tight end, we have two seniors who will be leaving, and then Strange will be 3rd string in 2020. So if you consider that most true freshman aren't ready to contribute right away and consider 2020 to be the year when Strange will be able to help, we need him more as the 3rd string tight end than wherever he would fall on the WR depth chart.

People hate hearing this, but we also have some walk on wide receivers that JF really likes. He mentioned them in his presser, names aren't coming to me right now. But for depth purposes, seems like they will be ok.

Thanks for responding. What you say makes sense. I think the walk-ons you reference are Dan Chisena and Isaac Lutz.

Chisena, a RS senior this fall, is listed as 6-3, 204. James said he has sprinter speed and joked that the track team "stole" him.

Lutz is a RS junior this fall who is listed as 5-11, 183. I don't recall James elaborating on him very much.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Thanks for responding. What you say makes sense. I think the walk-ons you reference are Dan Chisena and Isaac Lutz.

Chisena, a RS senior this fall, is listed as 6-3, 204. James said he has sprinter speed and joked that the track team "stole" him.

Lutz is a RS junior this fall who is listed as 5-11, 183. I don't recall James elaborating on him very much.

Lutz was special teams player of the week for one of the games in 2018. On one long punt return he had like two or three blocks. Fast and he hustles.

Sports Illustrated

Who Will Be the Next First-Time College Football Playoff Team?

Which team has a chance to join the playoff club?

So who’s next? Here’s a list of teams that could be strong candidates.

iu

Penn State: The Nittany Lions were very close in 2016 and ’17 but took a step back in ’18. Quarterback Trace McSorley is gone, but the Nittany Lions feel like they have capable replacements in Tommy Stevens and Sean Clifford. Plus, Ricky Slade could be fun to watch as a feature back, and K.J. Hamler is a threat to break loose every time he catches the ball. More importantly, we should really begin to see the full power of James Franklin’s recruiting prowess along both lines of scrimmage. These positions take time to develop, but enough time has elapsed now. The departure of Urban Meyer from Ohio State doesn’t mean the Buckeyes won’t continue to rule the Big Ten, but it does mean there is an opportunity for someone else to take command. Penn State could be that team.

Looks like you shouldn't sleep on Journey Brown this season. He puts it together, you are looking at a home run threat.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...James-Franklin-injury-129118736/#129118736_12

The staff has been able to witness four team winter workouts so far, the first of which took place on Feb. 4. Each position coach posts a workout warrior following the completion of the session.

RUNNING BACK - JOURNEY BROWN
If coaching accolades are any indication, Journey Brown is putting together an impressive offseason. This is the third time in four workouts that the rising redshirt sophomore has taken home position honors from Ja’Juan Seider. Brown finished the season with eight carries for 44 yards and a touchdown, averaging 5.5 yards per carry on the year. He’s expected to battle with true sophomore Ricky Slade for the starting role this season.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-State-near-top-of-Big-Ten-in-2019-129163366/

Penn State (15.4 rating) lands at No. 12, sandwiched between No. 11 Texas A&M (15.9 FPI) and No. 13 Ohio State (13.8 FPI). The Nittany Lions, who finished 17th in the final Associated Press Top 25 Poll last season following a 9-4 campaign, rank second among Big Ten programs, trailing only No. 5 Michigan (21 FPI).

It's no surprise to see the Nittany Lions defense earn respect. Penn State led all FBS squads in sacks per contest (3.62) last season, and ranked fourth in total tackles for loss (91). Despite the departure of five defensive starters, this group is viewed as one on the upswing in Happy Valley.

Offensively, the Nittany Lions are listed 22nd. Penn State must replace a record-setting quarterback (Trace McSorley), an All-Big Ten running back (Miles Sanders), two three-year starters on the line and faces questions regarding an inexperienced collection of receivers. Former five-star recruits Justin Shorter(receiver) and Ricky Slade (running back) are candidates to step up, while Sean Clifford and Tommy Stevens are expected to compete for first-team QB duties.

Reactions: Minerva1903

At guard, CJ Thorpe will be a serious contender. After switching to defensive tackle last season to help out with depth, he’s back on the offensive side. Mike Miranda will also push for time. So will Des Holmes.

At tackle, it looks like a two-man race between Rasheed Walker and Anthony Whigan after Alex Gellerstedt transferred to Virginia. Walker, a rising redshirt freshman, appeared in two games while redshirting in 2018. Whigan, meanwhile, enrolled in January after playing two years at Lackawanna C.C.

According to the center, Whigan has been “working his butt off ... trying to show us what he’s got” this winter. Meanwhile, Menet has gone up against Thorpe directly during lifting sessions.

According to Football Outsiders, the Nittany Lions ranked fifth nationally in power success rate (percentage of runs on third and fourth down, two or less yards to go, that achieved a first down or TD) and 34th in stuff rate (percentage of RB carries stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage) last season. Penn State ranked 89th in power success rate and 95th in stuff rate in 2017.

Of course, Miles Sanders’ north-south, one-cut running style had something to do with that success. And now he is off to the NFL with Bates and McGovern. But a running back room of Ricky Slade, Noah Cain, Devyn Ford, Journey Brown and CJ Holmes is talented enough to repeat, or surpass, Sanders’ production in 2018.

Reactions: Bob78 and grinagrin
Reminds me of Joe who was trying to stand on the sidelines ten seconds after his leg broken. He was a tough old coot.

“I was coming out of our indoor facility to go to our winter workouts. I was running into our indoor facility. It’s a little cold and the wind is blowing. So, I pulled my hood down to block the wind. I come running around to go inside the garage door (to Holuba). I’m 6-(foot)-2. When I looked, the garage door was open. But it was only open to 6-1. I ran full speed into the indoor facility and split my head open.

“This was at 3:15 and practice starts at 3:30.

“I get into the indoor facility and put my hand on my head. My hoodie is wet. I look at my hand, there’s blood. I put my hand up to my head — whompf, blood. I look around to find a trainer. All I see are eight student trainers with complete panic on their faces.

“So, I walk back to the office. And as I do so, all the players are coming up the sidewalk (in the opposite direction) to go inside the indoor facility. Now they all start freaking out. I go in and they look at it.”

Here’s where Franklin pauses, drawing the room in.

“I’m going to practice,” he tells the trainers, “so do what they have to do.”

The trainers put layers of gauze on the high part of his forehead and tape it up. Franklin continues, with the story and practice: “I go to practice and I’m covered in blood. I don’t even mention it to the guys. I just look at it like, ‘What’s the problem?’”

After practice, Franklin goes to see the trainers. Again.

“They put 11 staples in my head, to close it up,” Franklin tells the audience, as he shows them a photo of the injury on a big screen. “One bit of advice for everyone in the room: Avoid staples in the head.”

There is a bigger moral to the story, though, Franklin said:

“When I talk to our players, I bring up mental and physical toughness. Practice was going to start at 3:30. I’m going to be at practice at 3:30. I didn’t miss a rep. That, to me, is what our guys need to understand about life.”

Penn State will look to be contenders again in the Big Ten next year. Here is an early look at the 2019 depth chart.
Since James Franklin took over the Penn State Nittany Lions five years ago, the program has been one of the toughest in the Big Ten year in and year out. Last year the Nittany Lions finished 9-3 and third in the conference standings. The team finished ranked No. 17 in the final AP poll but fell to Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl 27-24.

Looks like you shouldn't sleep on Journey Brown this season. He puts it together, you are looking at a home run threat.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...James-Franklin-injury-129118736/#129118736_12

The staff has been able to witness four team winter workouts so far, the first of which took place on Feb. 4. Each position coach posts a workout warrior following the completion of the session.

RUNNING BACK - JOURNEY BROWN
If coaching accolades are any indication, Journey Brown is putting together an impressive offseason. This is the third time in four workouts that the rising redshirt sophomore has taken home position honors from Ja’Juan Seider. Brown finished the season with eight carries for 44 yards and a touchdown, averaging 5.5 yards per carry on the year. He’s expected to battle with true sophomore Ricky Slade for the starting role this season.

Journey Brown featured prominently on the latest PSU workout video they released. Looks like he will make a push to be the #1 back, somewhat surprisingly.

Reactions: 81b&w
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...tball-Justin-Shorter-freshman-year-129291982/

9064296.jpg

Ranked as the No. 8 overall prospect and No. 1 receiver in the 2018 class per the 247Sports Composite, Shorter’s true freshman season was a quandary to many. Shorter caught just a single pass and appeared in only three games, becoming the first five-star receiver since Robert Foster (Alabama) in 2013 to redshirt his freshman campaign.

Shorter’s freshman year never really started because he suffered a dislocated kneecap shortly before the season began, according to Joe George, his coach at South Brunswick High School.
“He got hurt in an Oklahoma drill where he was the ball carrier,” George told 247Sports. A standard recovery time from a dislocated kneecap is six weeks at a minimum, and Shorter’s injury cost the summer enrollee valuable practice time.

Reactions: Bob78
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-Shorter-Jahan-Dotson-John-Dunmore-128864427/

Post-Signing Day Position Review: Receivers
ByTYLER DONOHUE
iu

Among returning Penn State receivers, only redshirt sophomore KJ Hamler has started more than four college games. The scintillating slot man and special teams returner should vie for All-Big Ten honors in 2019, while it remains to be seen who will step up around him.

Jahan Dotson burned his redshirt as a true freshman in 2018, working his way into the starting lineup late, and figures to sustain his ascension. Among Penn State's three blue-chip receiver signees in 2018, he easily made the biggest impact last fall, though Daniel George did set a program record with his 95-yard touchdown catch against Kent State.

All eyes are on Justin Shorter, the nation's No. 1 overall receiver recruit coming out of high school who was hobbled by an injury during his first preseason camp. Franklin and quarterback Trace McSorley raved about how he finished 2018 on the practice field, and his performance as a redshirt freshman will help determine whether or not a new-look group can consistently provide support for a first-year quarterback.

Ten Nittany Lions have produced at least 20 tackles for loss in a season. Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes, Aaron Maybin, LaVar Arrington and Bruce Clark are on the 20-TFL list, and so is third-year Penn State defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos. Gross-Matos was the most productive player in a Penn State front that racked up 56.5 tackles for loss.

Moving up: Toney, the Imhotep star, has shown flashes of dominance the last two seasons but has not had the opportunity to show what he can do in a starring role. He notched 7.5 tackles for loss and five sacks in 13 games. The 6-3, 240-pounder is a top contender for a starting role opposite Gross-Matos.

Up and coming: Fourth-year junior Shane Simmons (6-3, 250) has yet to develop into a consistent performer for the Lions but he was slowed by injury last season. Once a promising recruit, it’s time for Simmons to become a meaningful contributor. Jayson Oweh (6-5, 250), entering his second season, is one of the Lions’ top athletes. He had a two-sack game against Kent State last September.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...ce-Dixon-Jesse-Luketa-Ellis-Brooks-128865490/

Post-Signing Day Position Review: Linebackers
ByTYLER DONOHUE

iu

Newcomers

Penn State welcomed another wave of linebackers to campus in January, and there's a case to be made for Lance Dixon and Brandon Smith as college football's premier two-man recruiting class at any position. Both players are considered five-star talents in final 247Sports 2019 prospect ratings, with Smith (ranked 12th overall) landing directly ahead of Dixon (13th).

Dixon is a 6-foot-2, 200-pound speedster who was also utilized as a safety at times during his high school career. He collected 95 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 11 quarterback hurries in 2018,according to the Detroit Free Press, then started in the All-American Bowl.

Smith, who stands 6-4, 228 pounds, was a candidate to shift to defensive end during his prep days but stuck at inside linebacker and things worked out He was named Virginia's 2018 Gatorade Player of the Year and a finalist for the Butkus Award, which is presented annually to the top linebacker in high school, after totaling 135 tackles, 14 quarterback pressures, nine forced fumbles and five sacks as a senior.

2019 Outlook

There shouldn't be much speculation regarding Penn State's outside linebacker spots with Cam Brown returning for his senior season and Micah Parsons preparing to take another step forward. Parsons, who last winter became the Nittany Lions' top-rated recruit since 2005, first handled full-time linebacker responsibilities last spring and finished the season with a team-best 82 tackles.

Following his Freshman All-American campaign, expectations for Parsons' encore are immense.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...sker-Tariq-Castro-Fields-John-Reid-128865713/

Post-Signing Day Position Review: Defensive backs
ByTYLER DONOHUE

b1Castro-Fields-stop-1100x801.jpg

Newcomers

Penn State welcomed a trio of freshman defensive backs to campus last month as early enrollees. Local Sate College standout Keaton Ellis has drawn rave reviews from the Nittany Lions staff, while Connecticut duo Tyler Rudolph and Marquis Wilson are fellow four-star signees in town.

All thee players could spend their Penn State careers at cornerback, though Rudolph has been speculated a possible fit at safety. That position will be further addressed in a few months when Lackawanna College (Scranton, Pa.) product Jaquan Brisker joins the roster.

Brisker, who can play two more college seasons, is considered the top overall safety in 247Sports 2019 junior college rankings [and was offered by Alabama]. He possesses plug-and-play potential at a pivotal position.

2019 Outlook

Despite the departure of a highly experienced and proven cornerback, that figures to remain a position of strength for Penn State if mainstays can avoid injury. Senior John Reid and junior Tariq Castro-Fields should have the starting jobs locked down, while redshirt sophomore Donovan Johnson is likely in line for the next available reps.

Penn State returns starting safety Garett Taylor, who is a fifth-year player, but things are bit murky overall at the position. Junior Lamont Wade and redshirt sophomore Jonathan Sutherland both finished 2018 as second-teamers and face a crucial spring camp.

https://www.pennlive.com/expo/sport...-is-this-group-poised-to-dominate-in-2019.html

Penn State’s linebacker picture for spring: Is this group poised to dominate in 2019?

By Bob Flounders | bflounders@pennlive.com | Posted February 23, 2019 at 05:00 AM

Bob Flounders | bflounders@pennlive.com

906_psu98.jpeg

Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons tackles Kentucky running back Benny Snell Jr. during the fourth quarter of the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Few Penn State position groups command the fan base’s attention the way the linebackers do. The list of Lions’ greats who have passed through State College is long. And it’s been a couple of years since Penn State has assembled a linebacker group worth getting excited about. The 2018 group showed signs of promise and with three key players returning plus a couple of heralded 2019 recruits already learning the Penn State way, the fall could be an exciting time for the program once known as Linebacker U.

How long has it been since Penn State fielded a dominant sent of linebackers? Once could make the argument that it hasn’t happened during James Franklin’s time on the job. How about 2012? That would be a Bill O’Brien year. His first year. Penn State’s linebacker group included Michael Mauti, Gerald Hodges, Glenn Carson and Mike Hull. Three of them would have lengthy NFL stays. And now the 2019 PSU linebacker collection has the look of an impressive group. The youngsters must learn on the fly and the vets must continue to develop. Here is a closer look at the linebackers heading into spring …

What went right (and wrong) in 2018

240_psu36.jpeg

Penn State linebackers Koa Farmer and Jan Johnson tackle Rutgers quarterback Giovanni Rescigno during the third quarter at HighPoint.com Stadium on Nov. 17, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

The Lions were replacing a talented middle linebacker (Jason Cabinda) heading into 2018 and it was unclear who would be the best fit for the job. Veteran Jan Johnson, who enrolled at Penn State as a walk-on, took over the position and never looked back. The 6-2, 234-pounder from Governor Mifflin in Pennsylvania finished second on the team in tackles with 72, 40 of them solos. He should be even better in the middle after a year of seasoning.

Johnson was flanked by two of the most athletic players on the team. Cam Brown, a 6-5, 225-pounder, was the Lions’ most disruptive linebacker. It took Brown some time to get used to his linebacker spot but he came on strong during the second half of the season. The two veteran linebackers are a big piece of the Penn State linebacker puzzle. And so, too, is Harrisburg High graduate Micah Parsons, who exceeded expectations as a true freshman and led the Lions in tackles. As far as linebacker issues in 2018, aside for some run game struggles against Michigan and Kentucky, this was a relatively sound group. Remember, PSU was breaking in a walk-on and a true freshman.

Leaders of the 2019 pack

4ae_psu52.jpeg

Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons tackles Rutgers running back Raheem Blackshear during the fourth quarter at HighPoint.com Stadium on Nov. 17, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

The two vets in the linebacker room, Jan Johnson and Cam Brown, are not only talented players but defenders who will be expected to provide leadership for a four or five uniquely skill youngsters — second-year players Micah Parsons, Jesse Luketa and Charlie Katshir and freshmen Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon. Johnson and Brown both became playmakers down the stretch of the 2018 season and it’s difficult to imagine defensive coordinator Brent Pry taking them out of upcoming games for very long.

3b1_psu58.jpeg

Penn State linebacker Jan Johnson tackles Wisconsin wide receiver Danny Davis III during the fourth quarter on Nov. 10, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Parsons did lead Penn State in tackles a year ago and he will be an elite player if he continues to develop. But Johnson is also an improving player who finished second on the team in tackles last season. Brown, who never received a redshirt year at Penn State, was the linebacker who was the most disruptive in 2018. The outside linebacker finished fifth on the Lions in tackles with 63 (41 solos) and also racked up 6.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, six pass breakups, five additional quarterback hits and three forced fumbles.

The time is now

ce8_psu24.jpeg

Penn State linebackers Ellis Brooks and Cam Brown head into Holuba Hall for practice on Dec. 14, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

All three of Penn State’s most experienced linebackers qualify for mention in this category. But it should be pointed out that Koa Farmer is out of the picture. He split time with Micah Parsons at one of the outside spots in 2018, and backup outside linebacker Jarvis Miller has used the transfer portal to head to UMass. The loss of Farmer means an even bigger role for Parsons and there is an opening to back up Cam Brown at the other outside spot.

So who will be Brown’s backup and what about giving Parsons some relief? Ellis Brooks, who will be a redshirt sophomore, was a backup to Jan Johnson in the middle but maybe he can play more than one spot. Another young player who may be ready for a more significant role is Jesse Luketa. Parsons only made one start but still managed to lead the Lions in tackles with 83, 48 of them solos.

Up and coming

Penn State’s 2018 recruiting class featured several potential linebacker candidates but only one sure thing — Harrisburg High School graduate Micah Parsons. The five-star blue chip made an immediate impact at outside linebacker and led the Lions in tackles. Another potential linebacker, Nick Tarburton, outgrew the position and was moved to defensive end. And Penn State head coach James Franklin and defensive coordinator Brent Pry are also high on a couple of other players.

890_psu59.jpeg

Penn State linebackers Jesse Luketa and Micah Parsons during Citrus Bowl practice on Dec. 29, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Jesse Luketa enrolled in January and the Lions’ coaching staff played him as a true freshman. He was not much of a factor on defense but did help Penn State on special teams. Another player who could make a big jump is former Cumberland Valley star Charlie Katshir. A top athlete at multiple positions in high school, the 6-3, 220-pound Katshir was rated a three-star prospect. A redshirt year afforded him the time to add size and strength. Where does Charlie fit in the Penn State linebacker puzzle?

Wild cards

e13_psu15.jpeg

Penn State linebacker Jarvis Miller, Micah Parsons and Jesse Luketa during practice on Oct. 17, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Penn State’s depth at the linebacker position is such that I’ll go with three players as candidates for “wild cards” for the 2019 season — sophomore Jesse Luketa, redshirt freshman Charlie Katshir and redshirt sophomore Ellis Brooks. These Lions are capable of anything. Brooks could push Jan Johnson to start at middle linebacker and Luketa and Katshir could end up as key backups. And all three have the size and speed necessary to be effective special teams players for Penn State.

d6c_psu4d17.jpeg

Penn State players quarterback Will Levis, tight end Trevor Baker, linebacker Charlie Katshir, place kicker Jake Pinegar and offensive lineman Will Knutsson head for a visit with Four Diamond kids and their families in the Lasch Buildling, Feb. 16, in State College, Pa. Mark Pynes | mpynes@pennlive.com

Brooks looms as a contender for playing time in the middle after backing up Jan Johnson last season. The 6-1, 233-pounder had his moments, such as his six-tackle game at Illinois in which he also intercepted a pass. Luketa is more experienced than most second-year players after enrolling in January of 2018. The 20-year-old was primarily a special teams player last season. And Katshir, a do-it-all type at Cumberland Valley who factored there as a defensive back, return man, runner and receiver, is being counted on to grow into the role of outside linebacker.

New arrivals

Penn State’s 2019 recruiting class may not be ranked as high as the 2018 version that featured Micah Parsons, Ricky Slade and Ricky Slade, but it has a chance to be special. And two of the most talented players in that class are blue-chip linebackers Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon. The Lions return three extremely skilled linebackers with experience in Parsons, Jan Johnson and Cam Brown, and these two could actually press for playing time. They are potentially that good.

Smith is a five-star who may fit best at inside linebacker but the 6-5, 230-pounder could also play outside. The top player in Virginia, Smith was pursued most of the major powers but was a heavy Penn State “lean” almost from the start. He participated in the Under Armour practice sessions and the game in December and early January before enrolling early at Penn State. Dixon, a 6-2, 200-pounder from Michigan, is an outside linebacker with elite athleticism and speed. He picked Penn State over Wisconsin and Michigan State.

2019 outlook

c97_pn1011jonesdefensecolumn.jpeg

Iowa running back Ivory Kelly-Martin is gang-tackled by Penn State linebacker Cam Brown, linebacker Koa Farmer, defensive tackle Robert Windsor and cornerback John Reid during the victory over the Hawkeyes. Penn State’s defense has been on the field for 277 plays in the last three weeks. Joe Hermitt, PennLive

Three experienced linebackers return. Two blue-chip recruits are getting their feet this winter under the direction of Penn State strength and conditioning coach Dwight Galt. Penn State head coach James Franklin and Brent Pry, who is the Lions’ defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, have some exciting options to consider when designing their 2019 defensive game plans. Cam Brown, Micah Parsons and Jan Johnson are proven … and that’s only the start for the Lions’ linebacker group.

caf_ua172.jpeg

Penn State signee Brandon Smith runs a drill during practice on Dec. 31 for the Under Armour All-America game in Orlando, Fl. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Penn State must decide whether to play freshmen Brandon Smith and/or Lance Dixon, and how much? Some talented linebacker options also exist in the form of Ellis Brooks, Charlie Katshir and Jesse Luketa. The position group has the talent to be one of the Big Ten’s best. Parsons’ continued development will be fun to watch. And the best (2020) is probably yet to come.

Reactions: Bob78
ADVERTISEMENT