ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State’s College of Nursing Receives Major Gift

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — At a moment when the global COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of skilled and committed frontline health-care professionals, Ross and Carol Nese, longtime supporters of Penn State’s College of Nursing, have pledged $27.125 million to enhance nursing education at the University. The gift was announced at the Penn State Board of Trustees meeting today (July 15), during which the board voted to honor this landmark commitment by renaming the college the Ross and Carol Nese College of Nursing.

The Neses’ gift — the largest ever for the College of Nursing and the second-largest single commitment to an academic unit in Penn State’s history — will be coupled with $17.9 million in matching funds from Penn State, providing a combination of endowed and outright funding for scholarships, faculty and program support, and facilities and equipment. The gift will be celebrated at a naming ceremony in August.

Weird how a thread started to recognize a generous couple turned into a sniping contest. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Nitwit
Weird how a thread started to recognize a generous couple turned into a sniping contest. 🤷‍♂️
I acknowledge that the gift was beyond generous and do not doubt the spirit in which it was given. What I do doubt is the ability of the board of trustees and the administration to implement the gift in a manner consistent with the intent of the donors. I also wonder how members of the BoT will wet their beak.

Fantastic. Very generous folks.......
I too admire the generosity, but I suspect it will be used to build more gold-plated facilities, and PSU's nursing students will continue to graduate with debt of $100k-$150k. It's a good solid nursing school but there are lots of good solid nursing schools out there for half the price.

If PSU wanted to be a truly elite nursing program, it would find a way to cover 100% of demonstrated financial need for nursing students with grants, not loans. With good financial aid PSU would be so much more attractive to elite students. But for some reason the PSU culture is never interested in affordability.

Last edited:
I too admire the generosity, but I suspect it will be used to build more gold-plated facilities, and PSU's nursing students will continue to graduate with debt of $100k-$150k. It's a good solid nursing school but there are lots of good solid nursing schools out there for half the price.

If PSU wanted to be a truly elite nursing program, it would find a way to cover 100% of demonstrated financial need for nursing students with grants, not loans. With good financial aid PSU would be so much more attractive to elite students. But for some reason the PSU culture is never interested in affordability.
Debt is good. Ask Brandon Short.

ADVERTISEMENT