ADVERTISEMENT

Penn leading Villanova by 8 points

Ah, yes. The greatest Penn team ever was their 1971 team, comprised of all the players you mentioned. The same team that Villanova shellacked 90-47 in the NCAAs.

Thanks for reminding me.:)
And the answer to a great trivia question - the only D1 basketball team to go undefeated and not win the NC (they were undefeated because Nova cheated and Howard Porter was declared ineligible) :)

Not being critical here. Just merely curious. Why is there such an obsession with Villanova on this board?

I will tell you mine.
1. I live within 3 miles of the campus
2. was a season ticket holder for many years
3. a lot of Pennsylvania residents live in metro Philadelphia.
4. It has a decent size undergrad population which follows closely
( circa 6,500) -- it has the most fans of any of the Big Five schools
5. They have won THREE national championships-- as you know 2 in the last what 4 years; 6 times in the final four; all time winning % .648--13 best
6. The coaches that have run that team (since Al Severance) have been generally nice people ( Jack Kraft and the current coach in particular)
7. don't hold me as to the exact stat-- Villanova something like 7th most wins of all-time
  • NCAA National Championships – 3
  • NCAA Championship Game appearances - 4
  • NCAA Final Four – 6
  • NCAA Elite Eight – 14
  • NCAA Sweet Sixteen – 18
  • NCAA Tournament Appearances – 38
  • National Coach of the Year – 2
  • Conference Regular Season Championships – 11
  • All-Americans – 20
  • Weeks Ranked as AP #1 Team – 19
  • 30-Win Seasons – 5
  • Philadelphia Big 5 Championships – 25
  • Philadelphia Big 5 Player of the Year – 20
  • Winning Seasons – 78
and I went to Penn.

I will tell you mine.
5. They have won THREE national championships-- as you know 2 in the last what 4 years; 6 times in the final four; all time winning % .648--13 best
6. The coaches that have run that team (since Al Severance) have been generally nice people ( Jack Kraft and the current coach in particular)
7. don't hold me as to the exact stat-- Villanova something like 7th most wins of all-time
  • NCAA Final Four – 6
  • NCAA Elite Eight – 14
  • All-Americans – 20
  • 30-Win Seasons – 5
  • Winning Seasons – 78
and I went to Penn.
Also, there are a lot of guys my age (61) on this board and a lot of us grew up rabid Big Five fans.

LJ - Probably posted this before, but my best friend from high school went to Penn and was a junior during their 1970-71 season.

As the season went along we began to hope we’d be in Houston (The Astrodome) together for the Final Four that year. KU made it there by going 27-1.....Penn losing was an huge disappointment, the score stunning. I made the trip down to Houston from Lawrence, but my friend unfortunately watched from Philadelphia.

It ended up with KU / UCLA / Western Kentucky / Villanova.

Look for five star frosh PG Jahvon Quinerly to transfer at the break. Its pretty clear he is not fitting in and is unhappy.
Quinerly is finding out that major college hoops ain't high school or AAU. He is being demanded to play defense, for starters. No defense means no run and that's that. In his limited PT he's a turnover machine and his jump shot sucks.

Lots of talent and oozes athleticism. If he responds to coaching, he can be an outstanding player. If he quits and transfers, knock yourself out. We won HUGE without him before and we'll continue to win HUGE without him after.

If Q thinks that Jay is going to upset the apple cart and go with some kind of half-ass system to feature him and make him happy, then he's in for a rude awakening.

I will tell you mine.
  • NCAA Final Four – 6
  • NCAA Elite Eight – 14
  • All-Americans – 20
  • 30-Win Seasons – 5
  • Winning Seasons – 78
and I went to Penn.
I looked it up last year. 11th in all-time wins. Trouble is Villanova didn't start playing basketball till 1920 so our competition has a 20-year head start on all time records.

We are in the top Ten in NCAA tournament wins.

And the answer to a great trivia question - the only D1 basketball team to go undefeated and not win the NC (they were undefeated because Nova cheated and Howard Porter was declared ineligible) :)
Hogwash. They played the game. Villanova crushed them. Ask Calhoun or Morse who won that game. You know their answer. Dirt poor Howard Porter accepted $15, 000 from an agent or someone. Big bloody deal.

Porter was also MVP of the tourney even though they lost the final game to UCLA’ s Sam Gilbert perennial cheating team.

Reactions: LBCnova
Hogwash. They played the game. Villanova crushed them. Ask Calhoun or Morse who won that game. You know their answer. Dirt poor Howard Porter accepted $15, 000 from an agent or someone. Big bloody deal.

Porter was also MVP of the tourney even though they lost the final game to UCLA’ s Sam Gilbert perennial cheating team.
Relax. You're missing his point that officially Pennsylvania was 28-0.

Quinerly is finding out that major college hoops ain't high school or AAU. He is being demanded to play defense, for starters. No defense means no run and that's that. In his limited PT he's a turnover machine and his jump shot sucks.

Lots of talent and oozes athleticism. If he responds to coaching, he can be an outstanding player. If he quits and transfers, knock yourself out. We won HUGE without him before and we'll continue to win HUGE without him after.

If Q thinks that Jay is going to upset the apple cart and go with some kind of half-ass system to feature him and make him happy, then he's in for a rude awakening.
Jay can always get elite guards. Elite 2020 PG Jeremy Roach likes VU a lot. Also, 2 guard Bryan Antoine is going to get lots of minutes next year if he plays Jay’s way. The 2019 class is loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Not being critical here. Just merely curious. Why is there such an obsession with Villanova on this board?

I grew up close to their campus and have been a fan since I was a kid...the Kerry Kittles days.

I’m from the Philly area and will root for all the teams.

Yeah, well, you brought it up once again. I sat there and said nothing.
It’s been a long time. I didn’t introduce the ‘71 Penn team to the thread. I was minding my own business also. I almost went to Penn but the Catholic parents, priests etc.

That pretty much sums it up. His post game since deleted Tweet about Nova being his second choice says alot about his maturity.

Ah, yes. The greatest Penn team ever was their 1971 team, comprised of all the players you mentioned. The same team that Villanova shellacked 90-47 in the NCAAs.

Pretty sure that penn team beat nova twice before in that season.Nova played lights out but I still think if penn had gotten past nova they win the tourney.They were really good.

Pretty sure that penn team beat nova twice before in that season.Nova played lights out but I still think if penn had gotten past nova they win the tourney.They were really good.
I believe they played Villanova just once previously in that season. While looking this up, I came across this article, which is a really good story of the Penn program in 1971.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-b...illanova-wildcats-1971-ncaa-tournament-032416

..Anticipating a trip to the Final Four in at the Astrodome, Penn had booked tickets from Raleigh to Houston, also the site of this year’s championship. When those were no longer necessary, the Quakers were rebooked on an Eastern Airlines flight back to Philadelphia — one that just happened to be taking the Villanova team back home, as well.

"When we arrived at the Philadelphia airport, the flight attendant, as we got to the gate, acknowledged the fact that the two teams were on the flight and congratulated the two teams on their seasons, and Villanova for their win," Littlepage recalled. "And they said because of the number of people that were in the waiting area, they’d like to allow the Penn team to get off the plane first, and we knew, at that point, that the Villanova team and their fans were going to be celebrating.

"So we got off the plane to the joy of the Villanova people who got a chance to jeer us and say a few choice things to the Penn Quakers as we went through the concourse to the baggage claim to get the bus."

The bad luck followed them all the way home, too, as the team bus later broke down between the airport and the Penn campus.

"As we were on the up span on the bridge, the bus kind of chugged and lurched and belched, and before we got to the top of the span of the bridge, the guy pulled over and we were stuck there," said Littlepage, who later went on to coach at Penn and is now the athletic director at Virginia. "That was before the days of cell phones, so it wasn’t like another bus could be dispatched to be there within the next 10 or 15 minutes, so it took a considerable period of time.

"It just so happened that as we were stuck on the side of the bridge, the Villanova caravan — to add insult to injury — comes by and they see that our bus is stuck," Littlepage continued. "There were a lot of car horns being beeped and a lot of middle fingers being thrown out windows toward the Penn bus. But looking back, I think we were well aware of how big a deal this was for Villanova, going to the Final Four and getting a chance to potentially play UCLA, and that’s just part of it. It was what it was."

After its upset of Penn, Villanova beat Western Kentucky in a national semifinal before eventually falling to UCLA 68-62 in the national championship game. That offseason, the Quakers coach Harter left for the Oregon job, and the following year, in Chuck Daly’s first season, Penn went 25-3, beating Villanova in both the regular season and NCAA tournament before ultimately falling to North Carolina in the Elite Eight.

But there was no satisfaction or redemption in the bounceback effort for most of the Penn players, not with the the taste of 90-47 still so fresh in their mouths, and even 45 years later, the most imperfect end to a perfect season still stings for some.

"We really thought and the coaches really believed that we could do it, and you have to live with it forever," Cotler said of the Final Four run cut short. "When you played, people don’t appreciate that even 20 year old kids who live with this stuff and practice thousands of hours like we did, that loss, it gets filed away with you somewhere in your head forever."

JQ has proven to be a turnover machine who can't shoot worth a lick. The "Five-star potential one-and-done" hype around the kid is beyond hilarious. I have no doubt he'll get much better over time but it isn't going to happen in the next three months. Transfer? He should be grateful he's even playing.

Last edited:

I couldn't believe what I was watching that day! OMG!! Nova made it look like a scrimmage game against a high school team. Very, very tough to watch. I, unfortunately, remember it well, or, not so well.

Villanova hanging with no. 1 Kansas right now. Tied 54-54 with 8 minutes left.

Booth’s one hell of a good player, he just didn’t get much help today. He singlehandedly almost stole the game this afternoon.

KU goes to Philly next year in a return visit, a shame it’s not being played in The Palestra.

IMHO, The Palestra, Cameron Indoor Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse are THE three great venues to watch CBB. No place else comes close.

ADVERTISEMENT