ADVERTISEMENT

Penn leading Villanova by 8 points

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Great game on espn 2 right now. Penn is taking it to Nova with 17 min left in game. We will see if they can hang on. They haven’t beaten Nova since something like 2002.

I only saw the last 8 minutes but it was a very good finish. That Booth kid has insane range. Penn got lucky at the end as they almost threw the game away.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
That was fun! BTW, did I hear that the Palestra will be corporate sponsored next year? I hope that was a false rumor... but if true, I hope whoever it is will keep the Palestra name front and center.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Penn played a great game - very well coached even though they brain locked at the end and gave up a buzzer three attempt.

Villanova just lost too many guns and guys like Samuels and the frosh ain’t ready to play the way they need to.

I think we’ll give it a good go at Fogg on Saturday but expect Kansas to be much the better. Come out of that, take 2 weeks off and then the game we NEED to get is UConn in the Garden.

Plenty of talent, just not ready to roll yet.

Rec Hall is the Palestra of gymnastics, wrestling, and chick volleyball which is nice. Hopefully one of the Trustees will capitalize on that name very soon so we can cash. Alarming that it's taken this long. :eek:

Congrats to the Penn Quakers on a fine victory.

And major props to Villanova for their amazing 25 game win streak vs Big Five opponents, which Penn just ended. As someone who watched a lot of Big Five basketball in the 1960s and 1970s, I never thought one team would dominate those games like Villanova has. They have clearly put themselves at a different level.

Penn played a great game - very well coached even though they brain locked at the end and gave up a buzzer three attempt.

Villanova just lost too many guns and guys like Samuels and the frosh ain’t ready to play the way they need to.

I think we’ll give it a good go at Fogg on Saturday but expect Kansas to be much the better. Come out of that, take 2 weeks off and then the game we NEED to get is UConn in the Garden.

Plenty of talent, just not ready to roll yet.

Beware of the Phog! :)

Last edited:
Penn 78 - Villanova 75 !!!

...the last Penn victory was 16 years ago!... :(
... look out for the Quakers!...

Tis True. CLICK HERE for an article about it. $$$
Thanks Tom... I heard this from a close friend whose family goes well back into the penn tradition and you could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather when I heard about it..[how long have i been a penn fan? since i became a psu fan.. how many games? lost count]

So long as this bunch doesn't F it up and rename or bastardize the Palestra (in my lifetime lol)... i'll deal. They F it up... i'm sending "the boyz" to discuss it. This one is personal.

Reactions: LionJim
Now we'll see if the OOC work helps this bunch. So often I watch Penn do reasonably well with a tough OOC and mistakenly presume they'll hit the Ivy and blow it up... and they don't. Alomost as if the OOC either swells their head or they're gassed.

I saw something tonite I haven't seen in a very long time.. on a couple occasions they got it inbounds and moved it up the court with lightning quickness... iow, they looked like a real BB team. Gave me much hope. Meanwhile, Nova has some issues.. they desperately needs a leader who takes them on his back and delivers.

But for the moment, I'm enjoying this incredible win. Brings back the VERY old days!

Reactions: Nitwit
Thanks Tom... I heard this from a close friend whose family goes well back into the penn tradition and you could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather when I heard about it..[how long have i been a penn fan? since i became a psu fan.. how many games? lost count]

So long as this bunch doesn't F it up and rename or bastardize the Palestra (in my lifetime lol)... i'll deal. They F it up... i'm sending "the boyz" to discuss it. This one is personal.
If needed, give me a call, 215-KIC-KASS.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Rec Hall is the Palestra of gymnastics, wrestling, and chick volleyball which is nice. Hopefully one of the Trustees will capitalize on that name very soon so we can cash. Alarming that it's taken this long. :eek:

Herlocher’s Rec Hall

:eek:

I was a HUGE Penn Quaker fan in the early 70's! Listening to Al Meltzer on channel 17 bringing those doubleheaders on TV will always be a fond memory.
The highlight of my life was when I was a freshman in high school, my school (North Schuylkill) had what I still call the best team EVER, played Darby-Colwyn in the Penn Palestra. WOW! After the game (a loss), we went down into the locker room. Just seeing those names on the lockers was a dream come true: Dave Wohl, Steve Bilsky, Bob Morse, CORKY CALHOUN, and so on.

Great game on espn 2 right now. Penn is taking it to Nova with 17 min left in game. We will see if they can hang on. They haven’t beaten Nova since something like 2002.
Not being critical here. Just merely curious. Why is there such an obsession with Villanova on this board?

Last edited:
I was a HUGE Penn Quaker fan in the early 70's! Listening to Al Meltzer on channel 17 bringing those doubleheaders on TV will always be a fond memory.
The highlight of my life was when I was a freshman in high school, my school (North Schuylkill) had what I still call the best team EVER, played Darby-Colwyn in the Penn Palestra. WOW! After the game (a loss), we went down into the locker room. Just seeing those names on the lockers was a dream come true: Dave Wohl, Steve Bilsky, Bob Morse, CORKY CALHOUN, and so on.

Thanks for that....great memories. Never missed a Big 5 game on Ch 17 and Al was the best. I have a daughter that graduated from Penn Law, loved going to The Palestra while she was there.

Reactions: BrianS and LionJim
Huge Quaker fan, modeled my jump shot on Bobby Morse's.

From 1969-70 to 1974-5, Pennsylvania went 25-3, 28-1, 25-3, 21-7, 21-6, and 23-5; 143-20 (88%) in six years. Calhoun and Morse went 78-7 (92%) during their three years. And the rest of the Big Five were no slouches either back then, much more parity back then than you see now.

images

Reactions: BrianS and N&B4PSU
So they switched over to Colorado and New Mexico and Bill Walton is doing the game. The guy is high as a kite, you can't make up the stuff he's babbling about. Hey Bill, no more benders.

It's such a weird act. I find it annoying when I'm interested in the game. If the game isn't that interesting, he provides some level of entertainment. It's not that good of an act but at least it's different.

Huge Quaker fan, modeled my jump shot on Bobby Morse's.

From 1969-70 to 1974-5, Pennsylvania went 25-3, 28-1, 25-3, 21-7, 21-6, and 23-5; 143-20 (88%) in six years. Calhoun and Morse went 78-7 (92%) during their three years. And the rest of the Big Five were no slouches either back then, much more parity back then than you see now.

images

Check out the white hi-top Chuck Taylors!!! The bball shoe for the ages. I remember when I played, when you got a pair of those you were in heaven. It was like the best day of the school year.

Check out the white hi-top Chuck Taylors!!! The bball shoe for the ages. I remember when I played, when you got a pair of those you were in heaven. It was like the best day of the school year.
Yes, if you didn't have Chucks you had nothing. They were expensive back then, twenty bucks. I was a schoolyard rat and wore out my sneakers real quickly so my dad would bitch and moan and I'd have to beg him for Chucks. More often than not I'd have to settle for Keds, how I loathed wearing them, was so embarrassed.

Reactions: brupsu
More than a few rabid PSU fans are VU alums, for starters. Is that acceptable to you?
I was lucky enough to marry into the Penn State family. And my wife was raised as a Villanova fan (her father was a three sport letterman at Villanova - basketball, football and baseball). We truly have had the best of both universities in our lives!

Based on Villanova performance I think the coach should be fired He had superior talent and lost to a third tier tea
No game plan too many 3 point shots horrible decisions in last minutes of game.

Wait that wasn't chambers so I guess his team just had a bad day.

Reactions: brupsu
Based on Villanova performance I think the coach should be fired He had superior talent and lost to a third tier tea

Good point, because Jay Wright and Pat Chambers have similar resumes.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Straw man filled with much straw

Acceptable??? Not sure I was looking for appeasement, but thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was a kinship towards PSU by so many non-alums.
Where I grew up, you either liked ND or Penn State. I loathed ND. I went to Penn and always brought my Walkman to Franklin Field to listen to Penn State games while watching the Quakers.

Had a girl in my freshman year dorm from Loyalsock - we were both rabid Penn State fans. The rich kids from suburban NYC and the City found our love of college football very hard to process.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and royboy
Where I grew up, you either liked ND or Penn State. I loathed ND. I went to Penn and always brought my Walkman to Franklin Field to listen to Penn State games while watching the Quakers.

Had a girl in my freshman year dorm from Loyalsock - we were both rabid Penn State fans. The rich kids from suburban NYC and the City found our love of college football very hard to process.
Good to know....thanks.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
One more thing I should mention, the value of the memories we have of the Palestra (or Franklin Field, or Connie Mack Stadium, what have you). The day before my dad died, in our last talk, when we knew it might be our last, he mentioned the 1971 game the two of us went to in which Durrett scored a Palestra-record 45 and LaSalle beat #5 Western Kentucky, 95-76, "He was the greatest player I've ever seen."

Ah, yes. The greatest Penn team ever was their 1971 team, comprised of all the players you mentioned. The same team that Villanova shellacked 90-47 in the NCAAs.

Thanks for reminding me.:)

ADVERTISEMENT