ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Penguins NHL Playoffs Thread

MJG, now where did you go?

It seems like Marc-Andre Fleury is settling nicely into his role as "That Goalie Who Really Sucks In The Playoffs." His latest audition came Tuesday night in Game 4 against the New York Islanders.

I got some thing to do now. I'll be watching tonight's game with MAF in net and I will be cheering for him.

Last edited:
Glov, you’re pulling up a bunch of fanboy blog crap. How about directly responding to the data I provided that clearly demonstrated a lack of goal scoring was more to blame than goaltending. When you lose 4 games by 2-1 scores, it’s not the goalie despite what fanboy blogs say.

• Sad
Reactions: TheGLOV
Moving this discussion where it belongs.

The Won the cup in 2016 and 2017. MAF was a huge reason they won in 2017. So not sure why you include those two seasons.

But, 2013 they lost in the conference finals to Boston. The Pens scored two goals while getting swept yet you blame Fleury.

In 2014 they blew a 3 games to 1 lead against the Rangers. The Pens scored 5 total goals in the four losses. The last two games were 3-1 and 2-1. Yet you blame Fleury.

In 2015 the Pens lost in the first round to the Rangers 4 games to 1. The score in all four losses was 2-1. Yet you blame Fleury.

Talk about rewriting history. Love you Glov, but you’re f’n bonkers when it comes to Fleury.
I’ll even help you Glov. See above. Refute those facts with other facts, not more fanboy blog opinions.

• Haha
Glov, you’re pulling up a bunch of fanboy blog crap. How about directly responding to the data I provided that clearly demonstrated a lack of goal scoring was more to blame than goaltending. When you lose 4 games by 2-1 scores, it’s not the goalie despite what fanboy blogs say.

Facts hit you in the face like a ton of bricks and you call it 'fan-boy'?

You are the pathetic fan boy trying to defend (and losing at it) for a while now.

Nice try.

Hey here's question for ya MA4-Goal Fleury jock sniffer:

Which NHL goalie lost to the Caps in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals - a few short years ago - and gave up 4 GOALS doing it in that game?

Marc Andre 4-Goal Fleury!

I’ll even help you Glov. See above. Refute those facts with other facts, not more fanboy blog opinions.

Facts above?

Like providing the number of Gold medals in the Olympics won by him?

Ice time?

Your boy couldn't carry Carey Price's jock-strap in Olympic competition. That's where the very best play against the very best from all countries not against some 4th-line shmucks!

Facts above?

Like providing the number of Gold medals in the Olympics won by him?

Ice time?

Your boy couldn't carry Carey Price's jock-strap in Olympic competition. That's where the very best play against the very best from all countries not against some 4th-line shmucks!
You’re clearly just going to keep tap dancing around any numbers I provide and not actually respond. You’re impossible to discuss anything with because you avoid any post that puts holes in your narrative. This isn’t worth my time. Enjoy your “victory”.

• Haha
You’re clearly just going to keep tap dancing around any numbers I provide and not actually respond. You’re impossible to discuss anything with because you avoid any post that puts holes in your narrative. This isn’t worth my time. Enjoy your “victory”.
It is you the one doing the tap-dancing sir!

You cannot defend, at all, him not winning a Gold Medal or games won by him and minutes played or all of his Pittsburgh penguin play-off collapses!

He was outright benched for a reason. Pay attention.

Can't win so you claim victory and run away.

Nice!

It is you the one doing the tap-dancing sir!

You cannot defend, at all, him not winning a Gold Medal or games won by him and minutes played or all of his Pittsburgh penguin play-off collapses!

He was outright benched for a reason. Pay attention.

Can't win so you claim victory and run away.

Nice!

I actually did point out actual facts in playoff “collapses” but you chose to ignore them. Who cares about the Olympics? The Penguins don’t play in the Olympics.

I actually did point out actual facts in playoff “collapses” but you chose to ignore them. Who cares about the Olympics? The Penguins don’t play in the Olympics.

Let's raise a pint or three to tonight's game and MAF's success.

You must have missed my comment about me rooting for him!!

NHL Network analysists were just talking about the Pens dumping Malkin in some sort of trade sir.

The main sticking point was: What are you going to get in return?? You won't get another Malkin in return.

Let's focus on the draft going forward.

I salute you sir.

Keep the faith.

Boston Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy calls out officials, says New York Islanders 'commit as many infractions as we do'

play

8:53 PM MT
  • i
    Greg WyshynskiESPN

BOSTON -- Coach Bruce Cassidy blasted the officiating after the Boston Bruins' Game 5 loss on Monday night, theorizing that the New York Islanders have fooled the referees into believing they're a squeaky-clean team.
"This is my take on it: We're playing a team that has a very well-respected management and coaching staff. But I think they sell a narrative over there that it's more like the New York Saints, not the New York Islanders," Cassidy said following the Bruins' 5-4 defeat that gave the Islanders a 3-2 lead in the second-round playoff series. "They play hard and they play the right way, but I feel we're the same way. And the exact calls that get called on us do not get called on them, and I don't know why."
The Bruins were whistled for four penalties in Game 5, including Patrice Bergeron's delay of game for flipping the puck over the glass in the third period. The Islanders were given only two penalties in the game, despite the fact the Bruins spent more time in their zone. Boston had a 76-35 shot attempt advantage.
New York capitalized on its man advantages, going 3-for-4 on the power play in the win.
The referees for Game 5 were Francis Charron and Francois St. Laurent.
"They've done a great job selling that narrative that they're clean. They play a hard brand of hockey. But they commit as many infractions as we do. Trust me. It's [just] a matter of calling them," Cassidy said.
Islanders coach Barry Trotz was asked about Cassidy's "New York Saints" comments after the game.
"You'll have to ask him about that," Trotz said. "I just looked at where we ended up during the year -- we were one of the least-penalized teams in the whole league. [So] I don't know what he means by that. You'll have to ask him."
The Islanders were, in fact, the least-penalized team in the NHL this season at 2.69 penalties taken per 60 minutes. The Bruins were the third-most penalized team at 3.89 penalties taken per 60 minutes.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...l-bracket-schedule-scores-highlights-analysis

For the series, each team has received 40 penalty minutes and 13 power plays.
Specifically at issue in Game 5 for Cassidy were a few high-sticking calls that he felt should have been whistled. Cassidy called out a high stick from Brock Nelson on Bruins center Bergeron and another stick that came up high on winger Craig Smith.
"I could go on and on. Maybe we need to sell them more. Flop. But that's not us. You just hope they'd see them. And the same calls go against us. So it's not like I'm sitting here and saying, 'Well, every call against us sucks.' That's not true. It's just that at the end of the day, the similar plays ... they need to be penalized on those plays," Cassidy said.
The Bruins coach took further issue with the Islanders' gamesmanship when it came to Bergeron in the faceoff circle. Considered one of the best faceoff men in NHL history, Bergeron was tossed from the circle multiple times in the first period after Trotz used his media availability on Sunday to discuss how the Bruins captain "cheats" on faceoffs.
"The biggest thing with [Bergeron], and, really, linesmen can control this, is that he doesn't like to get his stick down. He's a veteran guy who knows how to cheat on the faceoffs," Trotz said. "I'm relying on our very capable officiating crew and linesmen to make sure the cheating doesn't go on. Because he's good at it. All the veteran guys are -- he's not the only one. Trust me."
Cassidy said Bergeron deserves better than that.
"Have a little respect for Patrice Bergeron. He's up for the Selke. He's been a warrior in this league, a face of the franchise. He sells the game -- and that's how you treat him? I mean, c'mon," he said.
Boston fans let their frustrations with the officiating be known throughout Game 5, in stark and vulgar terms. After the final buzzer, dozens of yellow rally towels hit the ice in protest as well.
It was a frustrating night in general for the Bruins, who will now face elimination Wednesday back on Long Island. For their coach, that frustration manifested in a memorable tirade aimed at referees Charron and St. Laurent.
"They just need to be better than that. Call the game as you see it. Quit listening to these outside influences and get it done right," Cassidy said.
"I don't think they were great tonight. I'm not going to lie to you. But they have been. And they're good guys and good officials. I just felt tonight they were off."

Boston Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy calls out officials, says New York Islanders 'commit as many infractions as we do'

play

8:53 PM MT
  • i
    Greg WyshynskiESPN

BOSTON -- Coach Bruce Cassidy blasted the officiating after the Boston Bruins' Game 5 loss on Monday night, theorizing that the New York Islanders have fooled the referees into believing they're a squeaky-clean team.
"This is my take on it: We're playing a team that has a very well-respected management and coaching staff. But I think they sell a narrative over there that it's more like the New York Saints, not the New York Islanders," Cassidy said following the Bruins' 5-4 defeat that gave the Islanders a 3-2 lead in the second-round playoff series. "They play hard and they play the right way, but I feel we're the same way. And the exact calls that get called on us do not get called on them, and I don't know why."
The Bruins were whistled for four penalties in Game 5, including Patrice Bergeron's delay of game for flipping the puck over the glass in the third period. The Islanders were given only two penalties in the game, despite the fact the Bruins spent more time in their zone. Boston had a 76-35 shot attempt advantage.
New York capitalized on its man advantages, going 3-for-4 on the power play in the win.
The referees for Game 5 were Francis Charron and Francois St. Laurent.
"They've done a great job selling that narrative that they're clean. They play a hard brand of hockey. But they commit as many infractions as we do. Trust me. It's [just] a matter of calling them," Cassidy said.
Islanders coach Barry Trotz was asked about Cassidy's "New York Saints" comments after the game.
"You'll have to ask him about that," Trotz said. "I just looked at where we ended up during the year -- we were one of the least-penalized teams in the whole league. [So] I don't know what he means by that. You'll have to ask him."
The Islanders were, in fact, the least-penalized team in the NHL this season at 2.69 penalties taken per 60 minutes. The Bruins were the third-most penalized team at 3.89 penalties taken per 60 minutes.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...l-bracket-schedule-scores-highlights-analysis

For the series, each team has received 40 penalty minutes and 13 power plays.
Specifically at issue in Game 5 for Cassidy were a few high-sticking calls that he felt should have been whistled. Cassidy called out a high stick from Brock Nelson on Bruins center Bergeron and another stick that came up high on winger Craig Smith.
"I could go on and on. Maybe we need to sell them more. Flop. But that's not us. You just hope they'd see them. And the same calls go against us. So it's not like I'm sitting here and saying, 'Well, every call against us sucks.' That's not true. It's just that at the end of the day, the similar plays ... they need to be penalized on those plays," Cassidy said.
The Bruins coach took further issue with the Islanders' gamesmanship when it came to Bergeron in the faceoff circle. Considered one of the best faceoff men in NHL history, Bergeron was tossed from the circle multiple times in the first period after Trotz used his media availability on Sunday to discuss how the Bruins captain "cheats" on faceoffs.
"The biggest thing with [Bergeron], and, really, linesmen can control this, is that he doesn't like to get his stick down. He's a veteran guy who knows how to cheat on the faceoffs," Trotz said. "I'm relying on our very capable officiating crew and linesmen to make sure the cheating doesn't go on. Because he's good at it. All the veteran guys are -- he's not the only one. Trust me."
Cassidy said Bergeron deserves better than that.
"Have a little respect for Patrice Bergeron. He's up for the Selke. He's been a warrior in this league, a face of the franchise. He sells the game -- and that's how you treat him? I mean, c'mon," he said.
Boston fans let their frustrations with the officiating be known throughout Game 5, in stark and vulgar terms. After the final buzzer, dozens of yellow rally towels hit the ice in protest as well.
It was a frustrating night in general for the Bruins, who will now face elimination Wednesday back on Long Island. For their coach, that frustration manifested in a memorable tirade aimed at referees Charron and St. Laurent.
"They just need to be better than that. Call the game as you see it. Quit listening to these outside influences and get it done right," Cassidy said.
"I don't think they were great tonight. I'm not going to lie to you. But they have been. And they're good guys and good officials. I just felt tonight they were off."
200.gif

• Haha

Penguins Forward Evgeni Malkin Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery​

by Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins/ Media Release
June 4, 2021

cut.jpeg

The Penguins announced today that forward Evgeni Malkin underwent successful surgery on his right knee.
The procedure was performed by head team physician Dr. Dharmesh Vyas and Freddie H Fu of UPMC Sports Medicine, at UPMC Montefiore Hospital.
Malkin was injured after a collision during the game on March 16 versus the Boston Bruins. He was sidelined for the final six weeks of the regular season, as well as Games 1 and 2 of Round One of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Malkin is expected to be unavailable for training camp in September. The team expects to have a more definitive time frame for his return at that time.

"The team came forward to me and asked … it gave them more [flexibility] for the future, for the summer, so they weren't scrambling to trade me," Fleury said.

Down goes MacNit07! & MJG90. (In a down goes Frazier term)

Nice try Derwood.
You are obsessed. And Flower just continues to thrive. He played yet another brilliant playoff series against the high flying President’s Cup winners…on to the Final 4 for the Golden Knights…third time in 4 years as an expansion team…yep Flower is terrible! That has got to be it!

You are obsessed. And Flower just continues to thrive. He played yet another brilliant playoff series against the high flying President’s Cup winners…on to the Final 4 for the Golden Knights…third time in 4 years as an expansion team…yep Flower is terrible! That has got to be it!

Ah, no but,...you are very late to the party.

It is YOU who are obsessed with Flower but deny all perveious FACTS pointed out to you.

Again, past failures on his part are not erased due to his playing very well now.

That IS it!!

And, dear ignorant sir, you better do a little research as to the very, very generous terms the NHL alotted to the expanxion Vegas Knights sir.

And the NHL is still doing them a big favor in the upcoming NHL draft regarding the Seattle Krakens sir.

Do some research.

And the Gold medals won by MAF and Olympic minutes played by him again and again and again sir?

And, the response of mine that you responded to proved you wrong!

I also said this to MJG90 back on june 2nd in a response to him:

"Let's raise a pint or three to tonight's game and MAF's success.

You must have missed my comment about me rooting for him!!"

Good God, are you really this dumb??

Last edited:
Ah, no but,...you are very late to the party.

It is YOU who are obsessed with Flower but deny all perveious FACTS pointed out to you.

Again, past failures on his part are not erased due to his playing very well now.

That IS it!!

And, dear ignorant sir, you better do a little research as to the very, very generous terms the NHL alotted to the expanxion Vegas Knights sir.

And the NHL is still doing them a big favor in the upcoming NHL draft regarding the Seattle Krakens sir.

Do some research.

And the Gold medals won by MAF and Olympic minutes played by him again and again and again sir?

And, the response of mine that you responded to proved you wrong!

I also said this to MJG90 back on june 2nd in a response to him:

"Let's raise a pint or three to tonight's game and MAF's success.

You must have missed my comment about me rooting for him!!"

Good God, are you really this dumb??
Read the numbers…GAA 2.55 (not 4.0). Past failures? Well, I don’t see any goalies with 0.0 GAA…so I guess they all are failures.

Flowers are some of best in history. Statistics not emotion.

Statistics and not emotion explain 17 years near the top of goaltenders - or did he just get lucky for 17 years.

One of the greatest ever…for 17 years (not just this year). Admit you were wrong, very wrong, and sit back and enjoy his unique, stellar play before it is no longer. You missed 17 years worth and time is rapidly passing - don’t miss it!

Last edited:
Read the numbers…GAA 2.55 (not 4.0). Past failures? Well, I don’t see any goalies with 0.0 GAA…so I guess they all are failures.

Flowers are some of best in history. Statistics not emotion.

Statistics and not emotion explain 17 years near the top of goaltenders - or did he just get lucky for 17 years.

One of the greatest ever…for 17 years (not just this year). Admit you were wrong, very wrong, and sit back and enjoy his unique, stellar play before it is no longer. You missed 17 years worth and time is rapidly passing - don’t miss it!

Not wrong at all.

He was asked to waive his no trade cluse; he did.

His failures as a Pens goalie 2010 - 2017 are legendary.

You need to root for Liverpool more often!

ADVERTISEMENT