ADVERTISEMENT

Pending surgery

Carl Spackler

May 29, 2001
Ontario, OH
Looking for experiences from the AKB on a pending surgical procedure I'm a candidate for, better said, I require quickly. My surgeon proposed, better said,, told me he was pursuing asap due to the necessit. ACDF cervical surgery. Two areas, C-5 & 6 and C-6 & 7. Large bone spur that fused vertebrae together must be removed to reduce/end the nerve pain down my shoulder and arm. Enough about me. Who has experienced this and how long and painful was your recovery? How long till you you could drive, work, do things as normal? This has been needed for a long time but now is imperative so I'm forging ahead no matter the consequences as I can't continue as it is. I know it is daunting but away we go, please tell me how easy it was.......

Had the surgery last Friday, took the surgeon 3.5 hrs. but 6 hrs in recovery. Was discharged the next day, feeling OK, pain wasn't bad. On Sunday I began to cough, more and more all day by evening it became constant. Visited emergency room and they discovered pneumonia. Was admitted and treated, came home yesterday. I'm doing well and resting. I showered for the first time since the surgery, feels good but tiring. The pain is reduced in several spots while other haven't changed appreciably. I hope the nerves will recovery to normal but the jury it out on that and will be for several months. Thanks for all the advice from the AKB on this surgery.

Last edited:
I had this surgery about 8 years ago. Surgery was performed by a neurologist. Having a very good surgeon cannot be overestimated. I was an impatient for one day. Recovery and any associated pain was not bad at all. After a couple of days I was up and about, primarily going on walks. I returned to work in 8 days with some persuading. I did not have a physically demanding job. You need to be smart and take it easy and slow. Walking was a good therapy in my opinion. I was back at the gym on a limited basis in about 3 weeks. Good Luck!

Reactions: tlbakernc
Looking for experiences from the AKB on a pending surgical procedure I'm a candidate for, better said, I require quickly. My surgeon proposed, better said,, told me he was pursuing asap due to the necessit. ACDF cervical surgery. Two areas, C-5 & 6 and C-6 & 7. Large bone spur that fused vertebrae together must be removed to reduce/end the nerve pain down my shoulder and arm. Enough about me. Who has experienced this and how long and painful was your recovery? How long till you you could drive, work, do things as normal? This has been needed for a long time but now is imperative so I'm forging ahead no matter the consequences as I can't continue as it is. I know it is daunting but away we go, please tell me how easy it was.......
God speed for a quick recovery for you sir..🙏

Best of luck, brother. Get it done and over with. But I have no experience with this procedure, just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Glad to hear, at least, one poster saying that it wasn't bad.

Reactions: whart
I assume you are speaking about an anterior cervical decompression and fusion. Not had the surgery, but know someone who had it done. I have interpreted many intra-operative x-rays, post-op x-rays, CT’s and MRI’s on these type of cases over the years. There are multiple ways it can be done.

Very easy. Had neurosurgeon at U Chicago do it for a C4-5; C5-6 spinal stenosis in 2003. One day in hospital then stayed in Hyatt for 6 days before post-op visit then flew home. Wore collar for 3 weeks then flew back to Chicago for AMA meeting. (I was an AUA delegate) Every neurosurgeon their had to tell me they would/wouldn’t do in wearing/not wearing a collar. Minimal need for post op opioids for a week. Send me a private message with your phone # if you want to talk about experience.

I have not had the procedure but have had many clients who have. I also was recommended for it myself but the second opinion neurosurgeon I went to advised me to wait and get PT for 3 months. Luckily, after a couple of months the pain eventually went away with PT. However, I did not have a bone spur touching the nerve, only the disc material. The most important thing is see a really good surgeon and ask all about the procedure and recovery time. Then see another really good surgeon and ask the same things. Then pick one. The anterior entry is much less invasive as they do not have to cut through as much of the ligamentous connective tissue that you do on a posterior entry, thus significantly reducing recovery time. With a good surgeon there are a high degree of favorable results. Good Luck, and do see as many really good surgeons as you need before going forward.

Have work done by a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedist. No if, ands or butts.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I practiced workers' compensation law for 17 years representing claimants. There is a big difference in abilities between different surgeons. Do everything you can (I know it is difficult) to check out the capability of your surgeon. One question you could ask is how many times the surgeon has performed this particular procedure.

There was a group in Akron (about 20 years ago) that I dealt with and I never saw one bad result from them out of many surgeries. Not the same from other places.

Thanks for all the advice. I truly appreciate it. I failed to mention I have five or six herniated discs in the cervical region and the surgeon mentioned "blown discs" at our first visit. It's a mess from a broken neck in 1973 while on winter break from PSU. This was a long time in coming and several trips to physical therapy exposed it. I can lie down on my back due to the increase in pain and have slept in the recliner for five or six years. In the end I hope this will be a good experience. The quick response many have mentioned to recovery bodes well and is comforting. I do not fear the procedure, only the aftermath, pain control as I suffer from chronic pain and have since my initial injury. That aspect will be discussed thoroughly at my pre-op visit where we get into the nuts and bolts of it all. I'll pass along my experience once I've recovered enough to be accurate and precise. Once again, the AKB comes through!

Reactions: brupsu and BW Lion

Had the surgery last Friday, took the surgeon 3.5 hrs. but 6 hrs in recovery. Was discharged the next day, feeling OK, pain wasn't bad. On Sunday I began to cough, more and more all day by evening it became constant. Visited emergency room and they discovered pneumonia. Was admitted and treated, came home yesterday. I'm doing well and resting. I showered for the first time since the surgery, feels good but tiring. The pain is reduced in several spots while other haven't changed appreciably. I hope the nerves will recovery to normal but the jury it out on that and will be for several months. Thanks for all the advice from the AKB on this surgery.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My brother just had it done. Was out the next day with almost no pain. PT for a month to strengthen area. Must have the best surgeon and best hospital. He had it done at Cornell Weill New York Presbyterian in NYC. They are the best. Good luck. Get doctor's track record.

Coughing that soon after major surgery had to hurt. Good thing you hit ER and treated the pneumonia early.

My advise, get up and move around as much as possible. Keep the blood flowing, the muscles moving, the metabolism up. Seems to accelerate the healing process.

Reactions: BW Lion
Thanks to all and Spin just above. I had a good surgeon and a decent hospital experience. I am concerned I may have let it go too long before I saw the surgeon but I won't know that for a while. I didn't have immediate cessation of pain but the steroid taken three weeks prior reduced a lot of the pain making evaulation more difficult. The surgeon made the call to go to the ER for checking out and finding the pneumonia. I'll see the surgeon next week for follow up.

I was surprised that the incision was nearly equally on either side of the front of my neck, slightly above my collar bone. I thought it would be completely on the right side. I look like someone tried to slit my throat, actually they did! Frankly the surgical pain was minimal. Since I've dealt with chronic pain for nearly 50 years I may be less impacted by new pain than a person new to constant pain but I really was shocked it was as mild as it turned out to be. Had the pneumonia not developed it would have been a relative breeze. Thank God for anestesia!

For those who read the MRI's and x-rays, we were shown the MRI and the C6-7 opening for the nerve was nearly nonexistent. That and the unbearable pain prior to the steroids make me think I possibly waited too long for complete success but I do have time to gain and i'm generally a fast healing person. I truly appreciate the well wishes and the information provided above, this board is such a wonderful resource with such a wide ranging breadth of expertise. WE ARE

Thanks for all the advice. I truly appreciate it. I failed to mention I have five or six herniated discs in the cervical region and the surgeon mentioned "blown discs" at our first visit. It's a mess from a broken neck in 1973 while on winter break from PSU. This was a long time in coming and several trips to physical therapy exposed it. I can lie down on my back due to the increase in pain and have slept in the recliner for five or six years. In the end I hope this will be a good experience. The quick response many have mentioned to recovery bodes well and is comforting. I do not fear the procedure, only the aftermath, pain control as I suffer from chronic pain and have since my initial injury. That aspect will be discussed thoroughly at my pre-op visit where we get into the nuts and bolts of it all. I'll pass along my experience once I've recovered enough to be accurate and precise. Once again, the AKB comes through!
I found your posts very interesting and am pleased that you’re feeling better. Be sure to do whatever the physical therapist tells you to do.

Reactions: whart and EPC FAN
I found your posts very interesting and am pleased that you’re feeling better. Be sure to do whatever the physical therapist tells you to do.
Thanks BW Lion. When I enter PT I think it will be appropriate to my current situation. In the past I got a one size fits all approach that didn't address nerve pain, only exacerbated it. This time I'm more confident things will work out. I truly appreciate all the support from the AKB!

Reactions: brupsu and LionJim
Thanks to all and Spin just above. I had a good surgeon and a decent hospital experience. I am concerned I may have let it go too long before I saw the surgeon but I won't know that for a while. I didn't have immediate cessation of pain but the steroid taken three weeks prior reduced a lot of the pain making evaulation more difficult. The surgeon made the call to go to the ER for checking out and finding the pneumonia. I'll see the surgeon next week for follow up.

I was surprised that the incision was nearly equally on either side of the front of my neck, slightly above my collar bone. I thought it would be completely on the right side. I look like someone tried to slit my throat, actually they did! Frankly the surgical pain was minimal. Since I've dealt with chronic pain for nearly 50 years I may be less impacted by new pain than a person new to constant pain but I really was shocked it was as mild as it turned out to be. Had the pneumonia not developed it would have been a relative breeze. Thank God for anestesia!

For those who read the MRI's and x-rays, we were shown the MRI and the C6-7 opening for the nerve was nearly nonexistent. That and the unbearable pain prior to the steroids make me think I possibly waited too long for complete success but I do have time to gain and i'm generally a fast healing person. I truly appreciate the well wishes and the information provided above, this board is such a wonderful resource with such a wide ranging breadth of expertise. WE ARE

Glad to see you are doing much better. The opening for the nerve is called a neural foramen, which obviously was narrowed by bony overgrowth (aka bony/osseous hypertrophy). This is a result of a long standing osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis) process. The same process that occurs in other joints in the body such as knees and hips.

WELL ........ Surgery Friday the 7th, pneumonia on the 9th and a blood clot in my calf on the 14th. The hospital is considering providing preferred parking for my wife's car. I'm at home, visited the ER for the blood clot situation so overall, I'm still going at it. They can't keep me down although they certainly do try. I hope this is the last update on this oddesy.

Reactions: 91Joe95
WELL ........ Surgery Friday the 7th, pneumonia on the 9th and a blood clot in my calf on the 14th. The hospital is considering providing preferred parking for my wife's car. I'm at home, visited the ER for the blood clot situation so overall, I'm still going at it. They can't keep me down although they certainly do try. I hope this is the last update on this oddesy.
Hope the next update is golfing, or fishing, or attending PSU football game. Better all three and more!

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

I have a brother with back issues and he had a couple of extensive surgeries. You’re going to need patience because nerve recovery is slow and it can get quite frustrating. Good luck.

Thoughts and prayers are with you sir! Speedy recovery!

(Except when it comes to fantasy baseball - you understand I'm sure)

:);););););):)

Reactions: Carl Spackler
5/6 years ago I had 4 level (5 fused) ACDF surgery. Make sure to have a neurologist do the surgery. Don’t go to an orthopedic doctor. You want someone who specializes on the spine. You’re best off if the surgeon goes anterior (front of neck). No PT required with this surgery. Recovery isn’t to bad. I’d be happy to speak with you over the phone either preop or postop.

5/6 years ago I had 4 level (5 fused) ACDF surgery. Make sure to have a neurologist do the surgery. Don’t go to an orthopedic doctor. You want someone who specializes on the spine. You’re best off if the surgeon goes anterior (front of neck). No PT required with this surgery. Recovery isn’t to bad. I’d be happy to speak with you over the phone either preop or postop.
Know a well known orthopedic surgeon. Was talking to him years ago about Mario Lemieux’s multiple back surgeries. He said his mistake was having a neurosurgeon do the surgeries instead of an orthopedic surgeon. Said neurosurgeon will just do the minimum to stop the symptoms but an orthopedic will fix the structural problems that initiated the issues.

How has your PT been going? Has it felt like the nerve damage has started to heal?

My brother had the surgery a few months ago. Could hardly walk. Went to Cornell Weil/NY Presbyterian Hospital in NYC and had top recommended doctor do the procedure. Micro surgery. Done in 60 minutes. Discharged next day, little pain. Walking in a week. My recommendation - best doctor and best surgeon.

The surgeon said the x-rays looked great! Another six weeks and more x-rays. Reduced limit and up to 25#'s lifting limit. Good news.
Glad you're on the mend Carl. Curious if you had any numbness in extremities prior to surgery and if it has receded any post surgery. I need fusion surgery (L4-L5), but Doc says he's doubtful I'll feel my toes or my left outer thigh (which is the current situation) after having it.

Numb index finger prior to surgery, no change. The surgeon said not to expect it to return given his experience. We will know for sure in six months to a year. I suspect I waited too long and have some permenant damage. Wish I knew what was going on several years ago but at least it's done. Obviously I don't know your personal situation but given my experience, with nerve issues, I'd consider doing it sooner if given a choice.

ADVERTISEMENT