ADVERTISEMENT

PEN America Literary Award I think most will agree with ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
The PEN America Literary Awards are pretty prestigious. The PEN/E.O. Wilson Prize for Literary Science Writing went to:

Eager: The Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers and Why They Matter, by Ben Goldfarb

I've not read the book, but by the title alone, I'm certain this book is worthy of the $10,000 prize and award that the author received. :D:D:D

BTW, is Ben Goldfarb the nome de plume of @lionlover or some other member of the BWI board community? :D

giphy.gif

The PEN America Literary Awards are pretty prestigious. The PEN/E.O. Wilson Prize for Literary Science Writing went to:

Eager: The Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers and Why They Matter, by Ben Goldfarb

I've not read the book, but by the title alone, I'm certain this book is worthy of the $10,000 prize and award that the author received. :D:D:D

BTW, is Ben Goldfarb the nome de plume of @lionlover or some other member of the BWI board community? :D

There was a lionlover at Audibles. He was erudite. We argued about the usage of ‘non sequitor’. He was wrong.:D

Tom - a little off topic but you mentioning awards made me think to ask - have you seen Free Solo yet?

Tom - a little off topic but you mentioning awards made me think to ask - have you seen Free Solo yet?

I did a few weeks ago, when it was shown on the National Geographic channel. I regret that I did not see it on the big screen, or on an IMax.

As for the documentary, it was spell-binding. Even though I knew Alex successfully made the climb, I was pretty damn scared during the actual climb sequence, especially when he had to do the kick move (I forget the actual term for it) when he was at the last, or next to the last, major obstacle in the climb.

I would not have enjoyed being an Academy Award voter in the documentary category. Free Solo and RBG were head and shoulders above the other nominees in the category. As for picking between the two, it would have been very difficult, as the two documentaries were so different, but each was excellent in its own way.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I did a few weeks ago, when it was shown on the National Geographic channel. I regret that I did not see it on the big screen, or on an IMax.

As for the documentary, it was spell-binding. Even though I knew Alex successfully made the climb, I was pretty damn scared during the actual climb sequence, especially when he had to do the kick move (I forget the actual term for it) when he was at the last, or next to the last, major obstacle in the climb.

I would not have enjoyed being an Academy Award voter in the documentary category. Free Solo and RBG were head and shoulders above the other nominees in the category. As for picking between the two, it would have been very difficult, as the two documentaries were so different, but each was excellent in its own way.
Every person I have told about FS has had a similar description - riveting, spell-binding, mesmerizing. I watched it with my son and for the last half hour, despite knowing his climb was successful, we both had a visceral, palm sweating, stomach churning experience. Absolutely must watch in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT