ADVERTISEMENT

PDIII to iowa?

If the kid ends up wrestling for Iowa, so what. Hopefully a light bulb comes on and he quits acting the part of a self-destructive clown.

The reason Brands may want him on the team is if he can avoid the need to drive his car into the nearest tree he can probably make the Hawks a better team this year. Just because the Hawks are not going to finish within 75 points of the first place team doesn't mean they are forfeiting the year. Brands is doing his job by trying to put his best team possible on the mat.

Just because the Hawk nation acted like a bunch of jackasses when Cael extended a hand up to Andrew Long, we do not need to act in kind.

Wrestling teaches us to get up and go again. If he has done everything required of him to make himself eligible to wrestle at Iowa this year, then he is making a strong effort to get back up and go again.

History indicates he most likely will self destruct again, but hopefully this is a light bulb moment for the kid and he keeps it between the lines.

Just saying.

If PSU can't win all 10 weights and run away with the team title, I want Pat Downey winning 1 and helping a seemingly-juxtaposed Iowa. That feels really weird to type.

I'd love for a bad, smoke-a-pack-a-day-type wrestler to win a title to break up the "I want to thank God and my family" types.

But that's just me. I still want Bo to murk him, but if not Bo, I'd be down to see this storyline.

If Johnny Wadd can control himself the first semester at ISU unsupervised he should be able to make it through the second semester under Brands; and the good news for Iowa is if he does screw up in the Fall, it won't be as as student or member of the wrestling team.

The one potential wrestling issue I see once/if he makes his way to Iowa is weigh maintenance. I have my doubts he can make 184 on a regular basis. He just doesn't seem to have the personality to deal with a sustained cut. 197 makes a lot more sense to me for this reason and because 197 is a thinner weight class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT