ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Posluszny Retires

short story I often share with friends:

I grew up playing baseball against Paul's older brother Stan. Stan and I played on competing all star teams and went to some pro scout days together during our Jr/Sr years of HS. I asked Stan while in the dugout of Three Rivers Stadium one afternoon, so is your brother Paul going to be at the tryouts next year with you? Stan laughed and smiled and just shook his head. He said "Paul is a football guy, he just plays baseball for something to do in the Spring." I remembered Paul's tall, lanky frame as a freshman and I said to Stan - "well good luck to him on that, but he sure doesn't look like a football player."

8 years later on a sunny Saturday afternoon and I'm wearing a #31 jersey in Beaver Stadium telling everyone around me "I knew he would be a great linebacker back when he was only a Fresh in HS!" lol

Congrats to Paul on a great career. Maybe there's still time to work on that baseball swing!
Maybe it was your doubt that inspired Poz to work hard enough to make it as an All American and NFL football player.

Reactions: mcm265
*That* is how you retire from the NFL. Great person and player and outstanding representative of Penn State and Beaver County (my place of birth). Congrats on a fine career Paul! Enjoy!

917041e3-9f8e-4da2-b471-916cf9c732e6_zps8da0a332.jpg
I love that photo, it's like those old school football photos where everyone was throwing, punting, or evading a tackle

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
assume that he's going to occupy his day with something
He would be a great addition to someone's HS staff with the family. Or, since it was posted he has $51 million in earnings, lay low and enjoy as much time with family as possible.
Just a hunch, but he would be a heck of a speaker. Talk about his work ethic, why he did what he did, long years in Buffalo and early Jacksonville, but it all worked out for him in the end.

OL

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I remember the articles written about Paul and his Hopewell Team after beating Dan Connor when Dan was a Junior for the state title. Dan said that the defense would defense the play perfectly but could not stop Paul P. from gouging them on the ground.

Dan said that the OL was a bunch of work out warriors and Paul had a 230 lb full back blocking for him and then Paul P was about a 210 lb. Half Back. Dan said that all of the defense would play their keys perfectly and he would be happy with the play and he would look to the scoreboard and it would be 2nd and 2. He said that the score board almost seemed stuck on 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 1 for the entire game....... If I recall Hopewell won by a pretty good margin and if memory serves they did not throw a pass the entire game. Paul P. left, Paul P right, Paul P up the middle.

I remember watching Hopewell in the WPIAL final at Heinz Field. They ran every play behind a big offensive line. Every play. Not one pass. The other team knew they were going to run and they couldn't stop them. In watching Paul that night I thought he's too light to play linebacker at Penn State. So glad I was proven wrong.

I saw the Steelers play at Jacksonville a few years ago and the Jags fan next to me said they absolutely loved Poz down there. Great letter he wrote and easy to see why he's so well liked. I remember the Ohio State game in '05 and he was like a heat-seeking missile in on seemingly every tackle sideline-to-sideline.

My all-time favorite PSU player. Hence the avatar pic.

One of my all time great PSU memories - my son and I were given field passes for the last home game of 2006 - Michigan State. This was Poz's last home game and this is when after the game, Poz circled Beaver Stadium giving high fives around the entire stadium.

My son and I stood in the South End Zone ramp and watched him walk right around, up and right past us... still gives me goose bumps. And I wanted to reach out to him as well, but didn't... I think I knew that he just wanted to reflect upon this incredibly emotional scene...

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Can still remember him picking off Indiana- for a pick six his true freshman or red shirt freshman year- wearing No. 39, time flies. One of the all time best at PSU.

Last edited:
This is bullshit.. After the Browns fail to draft Barkley at 1, I was going to be a jags fan. I was going to buy a Robinson jersey but that went out the window yesterday.Then Puz was going to be my jersey.. .. Now that's gone too. Is Odrick still with them?

ADVERTISEMENT