ADVERTISEMENT

Patriot News Sports Writers PSU season predictions

FJ47

Jul 30, 2015
One has us at 11-1, two have us 10 - 2 and two have us at 9 - 3. Four of the five have us losing to Northwestern. Of course they all have us losing to tOSU.

They also have a chart showing the two deep, but they forgot a TE. I don't usually read that pathetic rag but I saw they had a PSU preview today and I was curious.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
One has us at 11-1, two have us 10 - 2 and two have us at 9 - 3. Four of the five have us losing to Northwestern. Of course they all have us losing to tOSU.

They also have a chart showing the two deep, but they forgot a TE. I don't usually read that pathetic rag but I saw they had a PSU preview today and I was curious.[/QUOTE

Kwalick and Olsommer are TEs

If the reasoning behind the Northwestern prediction is "they have our number", then I think there needs to be more to it than that. Each season develops differently than others, and the old saying is "the ball don't lie", meaning that each new year brings about it's own result. Writers all make predictions, and unless you pick the national champion correct with it's exact record correct, you're wrong. 99% will be wrong at some point during the year. Therefore, Akron, Akron, Akron.

Sounds fair to me. I think our two toughest games will be OSU and Northwestern. Don't sleep on the wildcats, they should be darn good this year.

I also think The Flying Harbucks and Nebraska will be better than some think, but like PSU in both at home.

They also have a chart showing the two deep, but they forgot a TE. I don't usually read that pathetic rag but I saw they had a PSU preview today and I was curious.
Averages out to 10-2 and a fifth. Sounds a bit optimistic to me. AFter reading all he preseason hype and analysis (sic) I tend to come down somewhere between 9-3 and 8-4. Which is causing me to have nightmares over the Maryland game.

Road games at Northwestern AND Iowa scare me, but if this team is truly a top 10 team then they should be able to go on the road and handle both of them.

The way you beat people on the road is to be physically stronger up front. Often, in the past, PSU has not been tough enough on the OL. Both NW and Iowa have beaten PSU by beating PSU's OL. This year..maybe not..

My worry is PSU DL, only because the young DEs are untested. If the DL is in good shape, then the team has what it needs to win at Kinnick and Ryan Field.

PSU's going to have too much speed for the Iowa and NW LBers and secondary. But that speed only comes into play if PSU is sound up front and the PSU D is able to get off the field.

Reactions: brupsu
The schedule sets up for a few potential landmines, so I actually don't have an issue with 9-3 predictions. While we're likely to be favored in all but the OSU game, the early season road games @Iowa and @NW are problematic - it's hard to win on the road in college football but each of these teams presents some matchups that they could exploit against PSU on their home field. Also wouldn't sleep on Indiana and their D sandwiched between those two games.

Michigan will obviously be tough even if it's at home, and the game at MSU has all the makings of a letdown game coming on the heels of the previous two weeks against UM and OSU.

If most are counting on an OSU loss right now, I think 4-2 against the @Iowa, @NW, Michigan, @MSU, Nebraska and @Maryland is reasonable for an August prediction.

PSU will be a better team top to bottom but the schedule may not make it appear as so.

Reactions: JoeFi
The way you beat people on the road is to be physically stronger up front. Often, in the past, PSU has not been tough enough on the OL. Both NW and Iowa have beaten PSU by beating PSU's OL. This year..maybe not..

My worry is PSU DL, only because the young DEs are untested. If the DL is in good shape, then the team has what it needs to win at Kinnick and Ryan Field.

PSU's going to have too much speed for the Iowa and NW LBers and secondary. But that speed only comes into play if PSU is sound up front and the PSU D is able to get off the field.[/. Always tough on the road and the noontime start seems to catch Psu sleepwalking.That said Psu is just the better team and should win both Iowa and northwestern games by a descent margin.The big ten has gotten better all around and Psu will be wearing a bullseye but this team seems to be focused in and ready to play.

The schedule sets up for a few potential landmines, so I actually don't have an issue with 9-3 predictions. While we're likely to be favored in all but the OSU game, the early season road games @Iowa and @NW are problematic - it's hard to win on the road in college football but each of these teams presents some matchups that they could exploit against PSU on their home field. Also wouldn't sleep on Indiana and their D sandwiched between those two games.

Michigan will obviously be tough even if it's at home, and the game at MSU has all the makings of a letdown game coming on the heels of the previous two weeks against UM and OSU.

If most are counting on an OSU loss right now, I think 4-2 against the @Iowa, @NW, Michigan, @MSU, Nebraska and @Maryland is reasonable for an August prediction.

PSU will be a better team top to bottom but the schedule may not make it appear as so.
9-3 is a "safe" prediction. You're not going to be more than 33% off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT