ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Mahomes gets biggest sports contact in US history...(discuss)

The numbers I saw were 11 years total and $427 million. Wowser!
I am a free market guy. He deserves whatever his agent can negotiate. I am an Eagles Fan and have no rooting interest in the Chiefs ( although I respect Andy Reid). What I am .... Is a big fan of is free market capitalism and you are worth what the market says you are worth. If he stays healthy ....is good in the community and delivers a few championships, then he will have been a great investment for the Chiefs Ownership.....IMO

I am a free market guy. He deserves whatever his agent can negotiate. I am an Eagles Fan and have no rooting interest in the Chiefs ( although I respect Andy Reid). What I am .... Is a big fan of is free market capitalism and you are worth what the market says you are worth. If he stays healthy ....is good in the community and delivers a few championships, then he will have been a great investment for the Chiefs Ownership.....IMO

Yeah I agree; no one forced the Chiefs to offer that contract and so good for him. On the other hand, it will be interesting going forward to see what impact this will have on the composition of the rest of the roster. Should be interesting.

Reactions: psu2016 and whart
Yeah I agree; no one forced the Chiefs to offer that contract and so good for him. On the other hand, it will be interesting going forward to see what impact this will have on the composition of the rest of the roster. Should be interesting.
I do have one concern. His playing style while exciting as hell....is generally prone to major injury. He needs to continue to develop a sense of self preservation vs. Swashbuckling. It’s more than ok to survive and play another set of downs. It’s a tricky act.....what makes him great.....could be his eventual downfall from too many hits....etc

Is this the floor or the ceiling for Dak?
Living in DFW.....I get to see him play a good bit. IMO Dak has not reached his potential. I see he and Carson Wentz dueling it out for the next 10 years or so. I am a lifer Eagles Fan and can’t wait to see that competition....get your popcorn ready. Fingers crossed that Wentz can stay healthy etc.

Reactions: sluggo72
How much is guaranteed?

I read that $140 M is guaranteed (but more through "guarantee mechanisms," which I'm guessing are a kind of performance bonus). He has two years left on his current contract at $2.5 M for this year and $25-ish M for next year, since the Chiefs have already exercised his option for next year. And the new contract is a 10 year extension for $450 M beyond next year, which means it runs 2022 thru 2031. Of course, whether he actually gets "only" $2.5 M this year is another question. My guess is that restructuring goes on with this.

When the contract is up Mahomes will be 36.

Here's one link to an article about it but I'm sure many others are out there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/06/patrick-mahomes-contract-extension-chiefs

How much is guaranteed?
$140 million......does not include the $ 26 million from the first contract that was guaranteed and yet to be paid. I believe you combine the two figures to get the true guarantee. They refer to it as an “ Injury Guarantee”

I'd be curious to see how much winning a Super Bowl increases a teams revenue.

Easily the only guy in the league worth that money. Lamar isn't close yet, maybe with an improved playoffs he gets 90% of PM $, but combining talent and youthfulness and results, there is noone in his ballpark yet.

Damn! I need to get me an agent. I'm tired of posting here for free.

If all the money came from gate receipts or pay TV I wopuld agree with you. However, people who don't watch the sport are billed too - through advertisements that are charged off through products we buy. The media system is wrong because of advertisement. I support pay TV soyou only pay for what you receive.

I am all for free market and all, but I just don't see how KC stays competitive at other key positions. Say what you want about Brady but the fact that he consistently took less money so the team could spread the wealth was one of the key reasons the Pats stayed top tier for so long. Time will tell how it plays out.

I am all for free market and all, but I just don't see how KC stays competitive at other key positions. Say what you want about Brady but the fact that he consistently took less money so the team could spread the wealth was one of the key reasons the Pats stayed top tier for so long. Time will tell how it plays out.
My guess is Mahomes is “taking less” 5-10 years out when the cap will really grow. The Chiefs are banking on $45 million being market average for QBs at that point.

Reactions: bison13
Given the uncertainty due to the pandemic, that's pretty aggressive. I am not sure it makes sense at this point in time. Mind you, I think the NFL is the most insulated of all the leagues, financially, if there are no fans in the stands, given their TV contracts.

Let me ask you guys this .... IF you were worth billions and you had the privilege of buying a pro sports franchise, would you buy a pro sports franchise right now? Do you guys think it's a good investment at this stage? Or, do you guys feel sports is maybe reaching a point of a "bubble burst"?? Think about it, almost every sector or industry sees some sort of "bubble burst". Housing markets, stock markets, the dot comm market, steel .... all have seen their bubbles burst, and some on several occasions. So, is it not logical that at some point the pro sports market will also see their bubble burst? Why would pro sports be immune to this?

What I'm getting at is that if I were going to lay a bet on the "next 10 years of pro sports", and the bet is "will pro sports and specifically the NFL, will it continue to increase, will it level off and plateau or will it burst" ... If I had a crystal ball and I could see the NFL in 2025 or 2030, my bet is that the NFL in 5-10 years will not be as lucrative as ti is today.

So yes, I agree in free market capitalism. Hooray to Mahomes. He has a unique skill that maybe 2 or 3 or 4 other people on the entire planet can do as well as he can do. So he "deserves" to be the highest paid. But to the Chiefs.... I say good luck getting value back on that $427 million over the next 5-10 years.

I read the Ayn Rand books and am in on the idea of free markets. But...I just don't care for the NFL and I only watch the Super Bowl (which I am forced to watch for family obligations). A lot of my distaste for the NFL is the amount of money they throw around. Basketball is beyond the pale and I haven't seen an NBA game the early '80s.

He is the best there is at the position right now and deserves it - I bet Adrian Peterson is pissed since he think RB’s don’t get paid enough - well they should all strike together and see where it gets them.

Let me ask you guys this .... IF you were worth billions and you had the privilege of buying a pro sports franchise, would you buy a pro sports franchise right now? Do you guys think it's a good investment at this stage? Or, do you guys feel sports is maybe reaching a point of a "bubble burst"?? Think about it, almost every sector or industry sees some sort of "bubble burst". Housing markets, stock markets, the dot comm market, steel .... all have seen their bubbles burst, and some on several occasions. So, is it not logical that at some point the pro sports market will also see their bubble burst? Why would pro sports be immune to this?

What I'm getting at is that if I were going to lay a bet on the "next 10 years of pro sports", and the bet is "will pro sports and specifically the NFL, will it continue to increase, will it level off and plateau or will it burst" ... If I had a crystal ball and I could see the NFL in 2025 or 2030, my bet is that the NFL in 5-10 years will not be as lucrative as ti is today.

So yes, I agree in free market capitalism. Hooray to Mahomes. He has a unique skill that maybe 2 or 3 or 4 other people on the entire planet can do as well as he can do. So he "deserves" to be the highest paid. But to the Chiefs.... I say good luck getting value back on that $427 million over the next 5-10 years.
Probably.

(1) If I'm not mistaken history has shown that sports franchises tend to greatly increase in value over time.
(2) With wealth I'd view drops in market values as opportunities to buy at a discounted price rather than as a reason to avoid investing.
(3) Eventually we will either get control over COVID or learn to live with it, and sports with audiences are likely to return in either scenario.
(4) Depending on my net worth and the cost of the franchise I'd likely view owning a team as some "fooling around" money and wouldn't really care how it worked out because I'm in the 3 comma club anyway.

Probably.

(1) If I'm not mistaken history has shown that sports franchises tend to greatly increase in value over time.
(2) With wealth I'd view drops in market values as opportunities to buy at a discounted price rather than as a reason to avoid investing.
(3) Eventually we will either get control over COVID or learn to live with it, and sports with audiences are likely to return in either scenario.
(4) Depending on my net worth and the cost of the franchise I'd likely view owning a team as some "fooling around" money and wouldn't really care how it worked out because I'm in the 3 comma club anyway.
Even putrid NFL franchises such as Jacksonville, Arizona and Detroit are two-billion-dollar propositions anymore. You’d need to be pretty high in the three-comms club for that to be play money. :)

Wait until all the legalized gambling money is added to the equation. That's the big new untapped revenue stream. One that states will embrace even quicker as they look at the budget disaster that is 2020.

Reactions: bison13
Any of you guys remember when Joe Namath signed a $425,000 annual contract- and people thought that was CRAZY money?

Even putrid NFL franchises such as Jacksonville, Arizona and Detroit are two-billion-dollar propositions anymore. You’d need to be pretty high in the three-comms club for that to be play money. :)
If we're making up fictional scenarios I'm going to reach for the stars. :)

Reactions: WestSideLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT