ADVERTISEMENT

PATERNO on HBO. Tonight at 8:00 pm ET (official thread)

logo-large.png

Fade to Gray: Watching ‘Paterno’
4/17/18, 11:05 AM EDT

AR-180419823.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

John Gray

The other day my wife asked me if I was planning to watch the HBO movie “Paterno?” I normally don’t like watching anything that has to do with someone deliberately hurting children but when the cable network that gave me Rome, Deadwood and Game Of Thrones decides to do a movie about the Penn State scandal I’m in.

I have to be honest about something right up front, I’ve never understood nor been a fan of people who display blind loyalty to the school they once attended. These individuals define themselves by being a graduate of a university and seem to bleed whatever the school colors are. If their team wins the big game they are over the moon with joy and when they lose? Well just stay clear of them for a couple of days.

Like a lot of young adults I went to college to learn, make some friends I’d probably never see again and get a degree that, while it may not always be needed, is required in the real world. I attended college but was never defined by it. Of course I did go to two years of community college followed by a state school so perhaps if I went to a Harvard caliber institution I’d feel differently and remind everyone I met that I went there. You know casually work it into everyday conversations like, “Were you just asking where Niagara Falls is? That’s easy; it’s exactly 467 miles southwest of Harvard where I graduated. Did you know I went there? Yep it’s true. That’s why I go everywhere wearing a Harvard sweatshirt.”

So putting my small school prejudices aside I watched “Paterno” which focused on the Penn State scandal and I hated it. The acting and direction was fine, Al Pacino delivered a solid performance as always. I guess what bothered me was the truth. Usually films annoy you because they get something wrong, this one upset me because it got the facts right; namely that Joe Paterno was a god on the Penn State campus and that Christ like adulation and all the money he generated directly lead to a culture where little boys could be raped and nobody seemed to care.

I think what really hit me the wrong way was the public’s response to Paterno getting fired as head football coach. Within minutes of that news being made public a large crowed marched over to Paterno’s house to cheer him on. Understand this was after they knew children had allegedly been raped and Paterno was aware of sexual misconduct but didn’t call police. He did next to nothing, yet they screamed his name like he was a rock star. I assumed what they showed in the movie had to be exaggerated so I found the actual footage of the rally that night on YouTube and it happened exactly as portrayed. Adults opening crying because a football coach lost his job. Jesus what about the children that assistant coach raped? Was anyone going to cry for them?

This column isn’t my way of bashing Penn State, USC, Duke or any school for having successful sports programs. Good for them. Go team! Although you’ll never convince me any coach deserves to make $3 million a year while a biology teacher makes $50,000 but that’s a topic for another day. What bothers me is the power these programs are given and the climate that power creates. A decade before we ever heard the name Jerry Sandusky people in charge knew they had a problem with him but the football team was wildly successful so nobody wanted to stop the money machine. If a few innocent kids got touched inappropriately it was collateral damage and nothing more.

I used to work with a young lady who graduated from Penn State. She once told me of Paterno, “So what if he heard something from a coach about something going on, he never touched a kid himself. He’s a good man they railroaded.” I kept my mouth shut but wondered if she’d feel that way if she knew one of the young boys whose lives were destroyed?

Like I said at the beginning maybe I’m different. While I certainly have nice memories from college and I’m very proud of the schools I attended I always viewed my education like a rowboat sitting on a lake that I had to cross. I need to get from here to there and can’t make the swim so this boat (my education) is my means to an end. This cult like devotion some show to their schools is completely lost on me.

It’s interesting, in the wake of this movie on HBO a group of 300 former Penn State players issued a statement praising Paterno and calling the movie libelous yet one thing is indisputable if you review the grand jury testimony. JoePa, as they affectionately called him, was told a child was violated in the shower by Sandusky and his response was to tell his athletic director what he heard. That was the beginning and end of Paterno’s interest or involvement in the matter. Had he simply called the police his statue, which they ultimately tore down, would still be up at that college campus today and Al Pacino would have found something else to do with his precious time.

John Gray is a news anchor on WXXA-Fox TV 23 and ABC’S WTEN News Channel 10. His column is published every Wednesday. Email him at johngray@fox23news.com.
http://www.saratogian.com/opinion/20180417/fade-to-gray-watching-paterno

This is an extremely accurate description of the vast majority of peoples opinion of Paterno and
a legitimate criticism of those who treat coaches like gods. And him being fat doesn't change it.

This is an extremely accurate description of the vast majority of peoples opinion of Paterno and
a legitimate criticism of those who treat coaches like gods. And him being fat doesn't change it.

So the vast majority of people are morons and you follow them like sheep... got it! You do realize that the vast majority of people know when to properly hit return, and not add extra line breaks into their posts?

Sorry, liking a coach, respecting a coach, or even loving a coach is far different than treating them like gods. Most “people” think Joe ran the entire state of Pennsylvania for 40 years...so basically most “people” are idiots.

Sorry, liking a coach, respecting a coach, or even loving a coach is far different than treating them like gods. Most “people” think Joe ran the entire state of Pennsylvania for 40 years...so basically most “people” are idiots.

That is very true. But it appears many of you have elevated him to deity status. And I know
he didn't run the state for 40 years but he certainly ran the Athletic Department with or
without the title.

That is very true. But it appears many of you have elevated him to deity status. And I know
he didn't run the state for 40 years but he certainly ran the Athletic Department with or
without the title.
I haven’t elevated him to any status...I was in the camp of he stayed too long. As far as running the athletic department, I seem to recall he didn’t want Renè Portland fired, yet she was. He didn’t want the baseball stadium built on campus, yet it was. He didn’t want Sandusky to get access to the facilities as part of his retirement, yet he did. Someone was running the athletic department, but apparently it wasn’t Joe.

a legitimate criticism of those who treat coaches like gods. And him being fat doesn't change

I don’t care what his opinion is either way, he has his right to express his.

I do think the fat Ray Liotta / Clooney comparisons are hilarious.

Pick a topic and the majority of people are pretty much idiots when they speak on it, but they still do.

Think of something you’re very well trained in, you’ve spent the time and know it well . You also know how much you don’t know . And what others don’t know.

I have a good friend who’s a paramedic with the highest possible certifications and he thinks most folk are idiots when it comes to first aid. Don’t get him started on tourniquets for example.

We’re both shooters and he’s shocked how many gun guys don’t know how to apply a tourniquet or don’t have one available to them . I carry three in my truck first aid kit btw.

Most people have barely a surface level of knowledge on most topics but it doesn’t stop them from giving you their opinion.

without the title.

I haven’t seen anybody elevate him to deity status, honestly. I have seen many people claim to see it, but I haven’t seen anybody claim it.
Joe running the AD or not has nothing to do with how those charged with handling this information handled it. If it was mishandled at Penn State, it was ultimately mishandled by Schultz.

Pick a topic and the majority of people are pretty much idiots when they speak on it, but they still do.

Think of something you’re very well trained in, you’ve spent the time and know it well . You also know how much you don’t know . And what others don’t know.

I have a good friend who’s a paramedic with the highest possible certifications and he thinks most folk are idiots when it comes to first aid. Don’t get him started on tourniquets for example.

We’re both shooters and he’s shocked how many gun guys don’t know how to apply a tourniquet or don’t have one available to them . I carry three in my truck first aid kit btw.

Most people have barely a surface level of knowledge on most topics but it doesn’t stop them from giving you their opinion.
Agreed.

My main point is that I won't move on while the truth is still being buried. You apparently care more about football than than truth and that, frankly, is sad.

And there are a lot of people outside of PSU that still care. Just not you. And that's fine, but don't throw stones at those of us sticking up for the truth.

Whether the needle moves or not, there's nothing wrong with standing up for and showing the truth for anyone interested in looking for it. Some appear to want it buried and you have to wonder why. The Paternos have certainly never been scared of the truth.

I wouldn't say anyone held Joe up as a God, but he was appreciated a lot more for how he treated people and how he ran his football program. If you take a look at all the players that came through the program over the years, an awful lot of them went on to be successful, good men. That's what he was trying to do.. help transform boys into men and use football as a tool to do so.. competing and winning was part of the teaching. Joe gave everything to his school and his community. Of course those associated with Penn State are going to be a little more proud because it wasn't all about winning. It's something Joe gave them. And it's their right to defend Joe and what he gave them however they see fit.

The dude that wrote the article clearly had his mind made up before he watched the movie. Didn't do any research. Looked up the scene after Paterno was fired on youtube.. good job d-bag..

without the title.
I think it was @Zenophile who once made the distinction between "most powerful man on campus" vs "most respected man on campus." Will leave it at that.
As far as running the athletic department, I seem to recall he didn’t want Renè Portland fired, yet she was. He didn’t want the baseball stadium built on campus, yet it was. He didn’t want Sandusky to get access to the facilities as part of his retirement, yet he did. Someone was running the athletic department, but apparently it wasn’t Joe.
They can't handle the truth.

So you are used to being frustrated all the time? Magnify that frustrationx100 and you'll get to where I am WRT this whole mess.

Funny! Yeah can be. Losing the players suck because looks like finally we get to top 30-40 and next year NCAAs then poof blown up. Hopefully it can be a suprise next year.

I work in the child protection field and have been a fan of Penn State and Joe Paterno since i was a little kid.. my interest in it makes complete sense. Your turn.. what are you here for?

Primarily football . I’ll ask this, what do you hope to accomplish here? It’s approaching the 6th anniversary of Jerry’s conviction and near 7 years since this whole thing broke.
What has changed and how does message board postings fix anything ?

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Funny! Yeah can be. Losing the players suck because looks like finally we get to top 30-40 and next year NCAAs then poof blown up. Hopefully it can be a suprise next year.

Basketball can turn around rather quickly , and I’m hopeful penn state can keep at this level.
I doubt we’ll attract to many one a done five star types but a team of solid recruits that stay 3-4 years on average should make psu a regular ncaa tournament team.

Reactions: Nit16
It’s approaching the 6th anniversary of Jerry’s conviction and near 7 years since this whole thing broke.

To answer part two first (how does message board posting fix anything), the short answer is that is doesn't in same way that discussing anything in any venue doesn't change anything. But it can spur action, and it can inform (keep in mind that we know BOT members read this forum).

What has changed in 7 years? A few examples off the top of my head:

Significant turnover on the BOT.

Significant pressure in Harrisburg to make structural/organizational changes to the BOT.

Charges brought against Fina

Charges brought against Baldwin

Freeh report has been discredited.

NCAA rolled back all sanctions because it became clear that they were wrong.

I am not saying that this board had anything to do with any of that. But to say that nothing has changed since the scandal broke is ridiculous.

Primarily football . I’ll ask this, what do you hope to accomplish here? It’s approaching the 6th anniversary of Jerry’s conviction and near 7 years since this whole thing broke.

I'll ask this, what do you hope to accomplish here?

Right.. football brought us all to the board. But you have a lot of interest in this thread, don't you? You keep checking in. You and Nit16 on your platform telling people not to care about something they obviously care about because you don't see the point. It's actually rather insulting. You do see the original post is about the movie, Paterno, correct? A fictional movie made 6-7 years after the story initially broke. Maybe ask them what they hoped to accomplish with their fictional movie. Why are you so interested in this thread and the other one focused on the scandal? Are you and Nit16 part of the BOT? Move on and get the attention off of what really happened? There's plenty of intelligent posters here and I'm here to learn more and possibly contribute. Something awful happened and then there was something awful dirty that went down to pin the blame on Penn State football and Joe Paterno. Excuse me for wanting to know more. You said football brought you here right? Well football brought us to care about what really happened.

1. More football topics.
2. Same
That would be refreshing. Perhaps some info on the DB situation.
With the Nittany Lions expected to play a lot of 4-2-5, you’ll most likely see a three-man platoon of “starters” for Penn State. John Reid (RS JR) is back after missing all of last season with torn ACL. He’s been full-go in spring practice with no complications (insert handing praying emoji here), and should re-assume his role as Penn State’s number one cornerback. Like he did in 2016, Reid (who, by the way, built a computer) will also kick inside to play the slot corner position, something he flourished at during his first two seasons with the Nittany Lions.

Maybe everyone else forgets just how good of a player Reid is, but I don’t — he’s legitimately one of the best 10 cornerbacks in the country. You’d like to see him pick off a few more passes, but he’s so discipline and always in position that he really doesn’t get tested. He’ll have a First Team All-Big Ten year.

Beyond Reid, Amani Oruwariye (RS SR) and Tariq Castro-Fields(SO) will see starter’s snaps. Oruwariye led Penn State in interceptions last season, totaling four on the year, and will hope to duplicate that number again. At 6-foot-1, 204 pounds, Oruwariye is the biggest of the Penn State cornerback, and though he’s susceptible to getting beat deep, he’s a tough break off the line of scrimmage.

Castro-Fields was the star of fall camp last season, pushing his way onto the field as a true freshman despite not enrolling early. The sky is the limit for the 6-foot Castro-Fields, who has the speed to match his length. Now that he’ll have a full offseason within Penn State’s program, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Castro-Fields took his game to an All-Big Ten level. He’s that talented.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
That would be refreshing. Perhaps some info on the DB situation.
With the Nittany Lions expected to play a lot of 4-2-5, you’ll most likely see a three-man platoon of “starters” for Penn State. John Reid (RS JR) is back after missing all of last season with torn ACL. He’s been full-go in spring practice with no complications (insert handing praying emoji here), and should re-assume his role as Penn State’s number one cornerback. Like he did in 2016, Reid (who, by the way, built a computer) will also kick inside to play the slot corner position, something he flourished at during his first two seasons with the Nittany Lions.

Maybe everyone else forgets just how good of a player Reid is, but I don’t — he’s legitimately one of the best 10 cornerbacks in the country. You’d like to see him pick off a few more passes, but he’s so discipline and always in position that he really doesn’t get tested. He’ll have a First Team All-Big Ten year.

Beyond Reid, Amani Oruwariye (RS SR) and Tariq Castro-Fields(SO) will see starter’s snaps. Oruwariye led Penn State in interceptions last season, totaling four on the year, and will hope to duplicate that number again. At 6-foot-1, 204 pounds, Oruwariye is the biggest of the Penn State cornerback, and though he’s susceptible to getting beat deep, he’s a tough break off the line of scrimmage.

Castro-Fields was the star of fall camp last season, pushing his way onto the field as a true freshman despite not enrolling early. The sky is the limit for the 6-foot Castro-Fields, who has the speed to match his length. Now that he’ll have a full offseason within Penn State’s program, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Castro-Fields took his game to an All-Big Ten level. He’s that talented.

That's what I'm talking about. I'm no recruting guru and never coached so I love the insights various people have about next year. I mean the BW game is Saturday, right? I had snow where I live in Pa. today but it still is April, right/

Haven't read this whole thread or seen the movie.

How was the Dranov advice to Mike and the Raykovitz meeting with Curley portrayed in the movie? Or did they completely skip over those two inconvenient events?

That's what I'm talking about. I'm no recruting guru and never coached so I love the insights various people have about next year. I mean the BW game is Saturday, right? I had snow where I live in Pa. today but it still is April, right/

An idiot conversing with a bot. Priceless.

Reactions: pandaczar12
So your take on the movie and such is what ?

There are people here who have wasted years of their lives shouting at the wind in their own little safe space, and it’s done nothing . And they’re going to continue doing so and accomplish nothing.

It’s their time and dime, but I chose to spend my time on other things .

Reactions: Nit16
So your take on the movie and such is what ?

There are people here who have wasted years of their lives shouting at the wind in their own little safe space, and it’s done nothing . And they’re going to continue doing so and accomplish nothing.

It’s their time and dime, but I chose to spend my time on other things .

Like participating in a thread telling people they are wasting their time participating in that thread. Gotcha.

1. More football topics.
2. Same

You are doing a terrible job. You make the threads you pretend to hate stick around longer with your every post. If you really wanted more football, you'd instantly stop posting in any non-football thread. So you are either too stupid to realize this simple truth, or are the troll that most think you are.

How does a new guy know who has spent years of their life doing anything on this board? How did someone so into PSU football just recently find out about this board? Why as a new member do you think you should be able to shape what topics this board discusses?

Horse ass, if you want to discuss football, you can start and contribute to football threads. You’ve been here a little over a month and presume to lecture people how they should use their time. GFY.

Please feel free to use the ignore feature .

I will say it’s odd to wish for more football on a football sight. But I’m a wild and crazy guy I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT