ADVERTISEMENT

PATERNO on HBO. Tonight at 8:00 pm ET (official thread)

My bad, do you make the pizzas, or just bus the tables?

12:34 AM... They must close early on Sunday night.

Can you go one post without a personal attack and a glaring punctuation error?

No and no. I don’t make pizzas and you’re a moron so I’ll do this for the rest of our lives panda. It’s all good.

No and no. I don’t make pizzas and you’re a moron so I’ll do this for the rest of our lives panda. It’s all good.

So if you don't make or deliver the pizzas, then you just bus the tables? I see you drug yourself out of bed early this morning, just to hurl childish insults at me. You are way to emotional invested.

Why do you keep threatening to do the exact thing I am manipulating you to do? Seems kinda pointless. You'll catch on someday.

Do you realize panda has a very important career? Just ask him and he'll tell you how great he thinks he is. You're disrupting the nations economy with this back and fourth with him. Don't you dare sidetrack him anymore, we can't afford this. :rolleyes:

Do you realize panda has a very important career? Just ask him and he'll tell you how great he thinks he is. You're disrupting the nations economy with this back and fourth with him. Don't you dare sidetrack him anymore, we can't afford this. :rolleyes:

Thanks LL! I missed the memo. Time to move on with my life’s work. I’m done with panda. You set me free.

Thanks LL! I missed the memo. Time to move on with my life’s work. I’m done with panda. You set me free.

Come clean, that "life's work" is busing tables... isn't it? Wait a minute, I thought you were going to do this "for the rest of our lives"? So you're a liar and all this time you were just looking for some lame excuse to quit? Have you ever considered that "quitting" is exactly what I'm manipulating you to do? But then... why would I tell you that?

LL... do you mean "LaNotta Lion" by chance? I don't think I have anyone else on ignore with those initials... and it would make sense he agrees with you, since nobody cares what either of you think. If so... how many thousands of posts is he up to? Wasting his life away in an attempt to feel like a real Penn Stater.

You have to understand that he is an idiot and when you expose him as the idiot that he is, he puts you on ignore after pouting for a while but still knows everything you post...wink, wink. He's just a little mad still that Jerry did this crap and he has no way of rationally dealing with it so he lashes out like the idiot he is. So in his little legendary mind he is teaching the world a lesson on a free site for PSU by pretending it was all make believe.

You have to understand that he is an idiot and when you expose him as the idiot that he is, he puts you on ignore after pouting for a while but still knows everything you post...wink, wink. He's just a little mad still that Jerry did this crap and he has no way of rationally dealing with it so he lashes out like the idiot he is. So in his little legendary mind he is teaching the world a lesson on a free site for PSU by pretending it was all make believe.

Panda is such a tool. I have zero question in my mind I make more than he does in a year by the end of February LOL. You obviously left a serious dent on that geek. I bet he drinks Miller Lite.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Panda is such a tool. I have zero question in my mind I make more than he does in a year by the end of February LOL. You obviously left a serious dent on that geek. I bet he drinks Miller Lite.

Awww... look who can't stay away! Despite your promise to be done, you're back hurling more childish insults. So you've now cemented yourself as a liar too. But at least you've made a new friend, not the sort of company I would want to associate with, but you've got to start somewhere. He's the perfect person for you to talk about your emotions with.

I'm sure the tips you make busing tables are fantastic, but I don't get the relevance to the discussion. Is LaNotta Lion still throwing around more claims about me that he made up in his fantasy world and couldn't back up no matter how hard he tried? It was fun messing with him for a while. I've obviously left a serious dent on him, that's clear just by the way he stalks my posts. But I've tired of his repetitive delusions, and that's why he's on ignore.... but you my friend are never going on ignore. I'm having way too much fun manipulating you.

P.S. Miller lite... sick burn!

He's a little child that cannot handle what occurred.....it's a walking case study with a few people. It's why he acts the way he does.

Reactions: Nit16
He's a little child that cannot handle what occurred.....it's a walking case study with a few people. It's why he acts the way he does.

It might seem like a strange take but why worry about movies like this? Why get bent out if shape over something that’s done?
I’d never watch a movie like this . When I heard the news about Jerry I felt sick. Why relive those two weeks.
Jerry did this and it might not be popular to say this but I looked up to Jerry. Jerry was doing great things with his Jerry ( at least I thought at that time ) and this shook me up bad when the news broke.
Penn State’s role? It doesn’t matter much to me either way because someone I thought was a true penn stater, a 1000 points of light guy, this great philanthropist, did great wrong.
That was enough for me. At that point the damage was done. I don’t need to constantly relieve one of the most shocking bits of news I ever heard.
Imo it’s timr for a lot of folks to get a new hobby. There’s no reason to go back over this stuff every time some hack reporters or writer writes something . There’s no reason to watch a movie that would obviously aggravate you .
It’s like Howard Stern, those who hated him listened more often and longer on average than those who liked him.
These ghouls wouldn’t have an audience of people here found another hobby.

It might seem like a strange take but why worry about movies like this? Why get bent out if shape over something that’s done?
I’d never watch a movie like this . When I heard the news about Jerry I felt sick. Why relive those two weeks.
Jerry did this and it might not be popular to say this but I looked up to Jerry. Jerry was doing great things with his Jerry ( at least I thought at that time ) and this shook me up bad when the news broke.
Penn State’s role? It doesn’t matter much to me either way because someone I thought was a true penn stater, a 1000 points of light guy, this great philanthropist, did great wrong.
That was enough for me. At that point the damage was done. I don’t need to constantly relieve one of the most shocking bits of news I ever heard.
Imo it’s timr for a lot of folks to get a new hobby. There’s no reason to go back over this stuff every time some hack reporters or writer writes something . There’s no reason to watch a movie that would obviously aggravate you .
It’s like Howard Stern, those who hated him listened more often and longer on average than those who liked him.

There were no winners here and some good men took a big hit due to Jerry...the whole thing is sad and tragic. Yes there will be actual trolls who throw gas on what's left of the fire....but there wasn't some huge influx of posters due to this movie. There really wasn't. There was a handful and there will always be a handful...that won't go away and nothing will change that.

logo-large.png

Fade to Gray: Watching ‘Paterno’
4/17/18, 11:05 AM EDT

AR-180419823.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

John Gray

The other day my wife asked me if I was planning to watch the HBO movie “Paterno?” I normally don’t like watching anything that has to do with someone deliberately hurting children but when the cable network that gave me Rome, Deadwood and Game Of Thrones decides to do a movie about the Penn State scandal I’m in.

I have to be honest about something right up front, I’ve never understood nor been a fan of people who display blind loyalty to the school they once attended. These individuals define themselves by being a graduate of a university and seem to bleed whatever the school colors are. If their team wins the big game they are over the moon with joy and when they lose? Well just stay clear of them for a couple of days.

Like a lot of young adults I went to college to learn, make some friends I’d probably never see again and get a degree that, while it may not always be needed, is required in the real world. I attended college but was never defined by it. Of course I did go to two years of community college followed by a state school so perhaps if I went to a Harvard caliber institution I’d feel differently and remind everyone I met that I went there. You know casually work it into everyday conversations like, “Were you just asking where Niagara Falls is? That’s easy; it’s exactly 467 miles southwest of Harvard where I graduated. Did you know I went there? Yep it’s true. That’s why I go everywhere wearing a Harvard sweatshirt.”

So putting my small school prejudices aside I watched “Paterno” which focused on the Penn State scandal and I hated it. The acting and direction was fine, Al Pacino delivered a solid performance as always. I guess what bothered me was the truth. Usually films annoy you because they get something wrong, this one upset me because it got the facts right; namely that Joe Paterno was a god on the Penn State campus and that Christ like adulation and all the money he generated directly lead to a culture where little boys could be raped and nobody seemed to care.

I think what really hit me the wrong way was the public’s response to Paterno getting fired as head football coach. Within minutes of that news being made public a large crowed marched over to Paterno’s house to cheer him on. Understand this was after they knew children had allegedly been raped and Paterno was aware of sexual misconduct but didn’t call police. He did next to nothing, yet they screamed his name like he was a rock star. I assumed what they showed in the movie had to be exaggerated so I found the actual footage of the rally that night on YouTube and it happened exactly as portrayed. Adults opening crying because a football coach lost his job. Jesus what about the children that assistant coach raped? Was anyone going to cry for them?

This column isn’t my way of bashing Penn State, USC, Duke or any school for having successful sports programs. Good for them. Go team! Although you’ll never convince me any coach deserves to make $3 million a year while a biology teacher makes $50,000 but that’s a topic for another day. What bothers me is the power these programs are given and the climate that power creates. A decade before we ever heard the name Jerry Sandusky people in charge knew they had a problem with him but the football team was wildly successful so nobody wanted to stop the money machine. If a few innocent kids got touched inappropriately it was collateral damage and nothing more.

I used to work with a young lady who graduated from Penn State. She once told me of Paterno, “So what if he heard something from a coach about something going on, he never touched a kid himself. He’s a good man they railroaded.” I kept my mouth shut but wondered if she’d feel that way if she knew one of the young boys whose lives were destroyed?

Like I said at the beginning maybe I’m different. While I certainly have nice memories from college and I’m very proud of the schools I attended I always viewed my education like a rowboat sitting on a lake that I had to cross. I need to get from here to there and can’t make the swim so this boat (my education) is my means to an end. This cult like devotion some show to their schools is completely lost on me.

It’s interesting, in the wake of this movie on HBO a group of 300 former Penn State players issued a statement praising Paterno and calling the movie libelous yet one thing is indisputable if you review the grand jury testimony. JoePa, as they affectionately called him, was told a child was violated in the shower by Sandusky and his response was to tell his athletic director what he heard. That was the beginning and end of Paterno’s interest or involvement in the matter. Had he simply called the police his statue, which they ultimately tore down, would still be up at that college campus today and Al Pacino would have found something else to do with his precious time.

John Gray is a news anchor on WXXA-Fox TV 23 and ABC’S WTEN News Channel 10. His column is published every Wednesday. Email him at johngray@fox23news.com.
http://www.saratogian.com/opinion/20180417/fade-to-gray-watching-paterno

Reactions: Osprey Lion
logo-large.png

John Gray

The other day my wife asked me if I was planning to watch the HBO movie “Paterno?” I normally don’t like watching anything that has to do with someone deliberately hurting children but when the cable network that gave me Rome, Deadwood and Game Of Thrones decides to do a movie about the Penn State scandal I’m in.

I have to be honest about something right up front, I’ve never understood nor been a fan of people who display blind loyalty to the school they once attended. These individuals define themselves by being a graduate of a university and seem to bleed whatever the school colors are. If their team wins the big game they are over the moon with joy and when they lose? Well just stay clear of them for a couple of days.

Like a lot of young adults I went to college to learn, make some friends I’d probably never see again and get a degree that, while it may not always be needed, is required in the real world. I attended college but was never defined by it. Of course I did go to two years of community college followed by a state school so perhaps if I went to a Harvard caliber institution I’d feel differently and remind everyone I met that I went there. You know casually work it into everyday conversations like, “Were you just asking where Niagara Falls is? That’s easy; it’s exactly 467 miles southwest of Harvard where I graduated. Did you know I went there? Yep it’s true. That’s why I go everywhere wearing a Harvard sweatshirt.”

So putting my small school prejudices aside I watched “Paterno” which focused on the Penn State scandal and I hated it. The acting and direction was fine, Al Pacino delivered a solid performance as always. I guess what bothered me was the truth. Usually films annoy you because they get something wrong, this one upset me because it got the facts right; namely that Joe Paterno was a god on the Penn State campus and that Christ like adulation and all the money he generated directly lead to a culture where little boys could be raped and nobody seemed to care.

I think what really hit me the wrong way was the public’s response to Paterno getting fired as head football coach. Within minutes of that news being made public a large crowed marched over to Paterno’s house to cheer him on. Understand this was after they knew children had allegedly been raped and Paterno was aware of sexual misconduct but didn’t call police. He did next to nothing, yet they screamed his name like he was a rock star. I assumed what they showed in the movie had to be exaggerated so I found the actual footage of the rally that night on YouTube and it happened exactly as portrayed. Adults opening crying because a football coach lost his job. Jesus what about the children that assistant coach raped? Was anyone going to cry for them?

This column isn’t my way of bashing Penn State, USC, Duke or any school for having successful sports programs. Good for them. Go team! Although you’ll never convince me any coach deserves to make $3 million a year while a biology teacher makes $50,000 but that’s a topic for another day. What bothers me is the power these programs are given and the climate that power creates. A decade before we ever heard the name Jerry Sandusky people in charge knew they had a problem with him but the football team was wildly successful so nobody wanted to stop the money machine. If a few innocent kids got touched inappropriately it was collateral damage and nothing more.

I used to work with a young lady who graduated from Penn State. She once told me of Paterno, “So what if he heard something from a coach about something going on, he never touched a kid himself. He’s a good man they railroaded.” I kept my mouth shut but wondered if she’d feel that way if she knew one of the young boys whose lives were destroyed?

Like I said at the beginning maybe I’m different. While I certainly have nice memories from college and I’m very proud of the schools I attended I always viewed my education like a rowboat sitting on a lake that I had to cross. I need to get from here to there and can’t make the swim so this boat (my education) is my means to an end. This cult like devotion some show to their schools is completely lost on me.

It’s interesting, in the wake of this movie on HBO a group of 300 former Penn State players issued a statement praising Paterno and calling the movie libelous yet one thing is indisputable if you review the grand jury testimony. JoePa, as they affectionately called him, was told a child was violated in the shower by Sandusky and his response was to tell his athletic director what he heard. That was the beginning and end of Paterno’s interest or involvement in the matter. Had he simply called the police his statue, which they ultimately tore down, would still be up at that college campus today and Al Pacino would have found something else to do with his precious time.

John Gray is a news anchor on WXXA-Fox TV 23 and ABC’S WTEN News Channel 10. His column is published every Wednesday. Email him at johngray@fox23news.com.

"yet one thing is indisputable if you review the grand jury testimony."
I'd encourage everyone to email him and ask him how he has access to the grand jury testimony since no one else has seen it.

What a moron this guy is.

Reactions: francofan
Yet another half-thought out article. No idea who this guy is, but that was a subpar effort.

How does he know what “the truth” is. Oh, that’s right, he went to Harvard.

logo-large.png

John Gray

Are you destroying him on twitter?

I watched it last night, for the first time. It was, for the most part, pretty even handed even if it is total fiction (they have no idea what went on in the Paterno household or in private conversations at PSU). The only part I thought was totally and completely unfair (and boardering on a complete lie) was the phone call at the very end before fading to black. That call and claim has been repeatedly disproved and exposed.

But HBO is just another vine of the media so what should one expect?

I watched it last night, for the first time. It was, for the most part, pretty even handed even if it is total fiction (they have no idea what went on in the Paterno household or in private conversations at PSU). The only part I thought was totally and completely unfair (and boardering on a complete lie) was the phone call at the very end before fading to black. That call and claim has been repeatedly disproved and exposed.

But HBO is just another vine of the media so what should one expect?
I don't understand Lois Lame....I mean darling Sara said she would never be a consultant on any movie that wasn't a representation of the truth. Now Ganim would never lie.....would she?

Reactions: RussianEagle
logo-large.png

John Gray

He looks like George Clooney plus 50 lbs.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

^^^^^^^For all the folks^^^^^^^^
This is what I mean by moving on and focusing on all things good Penn State. Why relive this crap so the haters can relive it with you? That friends is counterproductive(or for the arrogant self righteous idiots...dumb).

^^^^^^^For all the folks^^^^^^^^
This is what I mean by moving on and focusing on all things good Penn State. Why relive this crap so the haters can relive it with you? That friends is counterproductive(or for the arrogant self righteous idiots...dumb).

The definition of counterproductive is "having the opposite of the desired effect." You could possibly argue that it is not having any effect, but I don't think you can say it is having the opposite of the desired effect.

To express it another way, if took out a billboard in your home town which said (falsely) that your great-grandfather, prior to his death, had been a serial killer, would you go "eh, no point in trying to correct that narrative" or would you speak up about it even if it seemed unlikely that you would change anyone's mind?

I don’t think that’s a very valid comparison. Joe had a connection to this situation , his grandfather would have to have some connection to a bunch of dead bodies .

I don’t think that’s a very valid comparison. Joe had a connection to this situation , his grandfather would have to have some connection to a bunch of dead bodies .

OK, the actual story is that his grandfather heard a story about some dead bodies once. That's pretty spot on to what happened with Joe.

Reactions: Bob78
OK, the actual story is that his grandfather heard a story about some dead bodies once. That's pretty spot on to what happened with Joe.
No, more like one of his employees once told the grandfather he may or may not have seen someone who used to work for him kill someone

Reactions: Bob78
The definition of counterproductive is "having the opposite of the desired effect." You could possibly argue that it is not having any effect, but I don't think you can say it is having the opposite of the desired effect.

To express it another way, if took out a billboard in your home town which said (falsely) that your great-grandfather, prior to his death, had been a serial killer, would you go "eh, no point in trying to correct that narrative" or would you speak up about it even if it seemed unlikely that you would change anyone's mind?

Haha. Yes it can be counterproductive. By bringing this crap on here year after year it allows the haters to hate. Unles OP doesn’t care to change anyone’s mind or opinion. I did assume people posting this crap aren’t posting their arguments and articles for the people that believe what they believe actually happened. If OP is trying to change opinions I don’t think it helps. I actually think some people may start to believe the Paterno movie’s poor view of Penn State students and supporters in some cases because hardliners can’t move past the Scandal. That in itself is counterproductive to the main point of changing minds and opinions.

My main point is move on already. No one outside of Penn State cares at this point. I’m just glad there hasn’t be 30 on 30 piece by ESPN at this point. I’m fairly sure the movie wasn’t widely seen. That POS movie will be long forgotten soon. I actually that the acting and script was college talent level.

Haha. Yes it can be counterproductive. By bringing this crap on here year after year it allows the haters to hate. Unles OP doesn’t care to change anyone’s mind or opinion. I did assume people posting this crap aren’t posting their arguments and articles for the people that believe what they believe actually happened. If OP is trying to change opinions I don’t think it helps. I actually think some people may start to believe the Paterno movie’s poor view of Penn State students and supporters in some cases because hardliners can’t move past the Scandal. That in itself is counterproductive to the main point of changing minds and opinions.

My main point is move on already. No one outside of Penn State cares at this point. I’m just glad there hasn’t be 30 on 30 piece by ESPN at this point. I’m fairly sure the movie wasn’t widely seen. That POS movie will be long forgotten soon. I actually that the acting and script was college talent level.

If agree and ask what’s the end game? It’s like trying to convert someone to your religion and they don’t care enough to even listen.
There are penn staters who obviously care . There are the crazy Pitt fans who see it as proof that Joe is Satan and anyone associated with penn State is some sort of devil worshipping human sacrifice type . Rutger crazies are the Igor to the Pitt lunatics.
Then there’s a bunch of people who have some soft opinion but don’t care enough to exam hours upon hours of information to get educated on the true path to salvation.
So I don’t see an end game here, some viable goal that will major the psu who contingent who believe Joe was wronged happy. I don’t see how public opinion can be engaged and moved to a place where they’re happy.

My main point is move on already. No one outside of Penn State cares at this point.

My main point is that I won't move on while the truth is still being buried. You apparently care more about football than than truth and that, frankly, is sad.

And there are a lot of people outside of PSU that still care. Just not you. And that's fine, but don't throw stones at those of us sticking up for the truth.

If agree and ask what’s the end game? It’s like trying to convert someone to your religion and they don’t care enough to even listen.
There are penn staters who obviously care . There are the crazy Pitt fans who see it as proof that Joe is Satan and anyone associated with penn State is some sort of devil worshipping human sacrifice type . Rutger crazies are the Igor to the Pitt lunatics.
Then there’s a bunch of people who have some soft opinion but don’t care enough to exam hours upon hours of information to get educated on the true path to salvation.
So I don’t see an end game here, some viable goal that will major the psu who contingent who believe Joe was wronged happy. I don’t see how public opinion can be engaged and moved to a place where they’re happy.

Lame brain post honestly. Blaming Pitt and Rutgers is beneath serious conversation. Joe’s legacy has been tarnished. There is obviously no way for him to defend himself. So my point all along is you guys are wasting your time if this is about Joe. Totally wasting your time. People will have their opinions and my point on that is who cares. You’re point is what again?

My main point is that I won't move on while the truth is still being buried. You apparently care more about football than than truth and that, frankly, is sad.

And there are a lot of people outside of PSU that still care. Just not you. And that's fine, but don't throw stones at those of us sticking up for the truth.

Fake news. I actually care most about Penn State basketball. Don’t misrepresent me buddy. Another arrogant self righteous poster haha. I posted and meant at some point you should move on and embrace what Penn State represents today, which is great. The football program is just one area. There really aren’t a lot of people outside of Penn state that care. Just not a needle mover several years out. Now you’re lying to yourself. That actually is sad.

ADVERTISEMENT